Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you buy packs with "atavist" assets?

I have been thinking about this for years and always thought I was the only one that would enjoy this, but I decided to ask you guys how you feel about this idea. What does atavism means? "a tendency to revert to something ancient or ancestral". It basically means throwback, which I decided not to use so no one would confuse with the "throwback fit kit".
Without further ado, those kits would contain CAS or Build and Buy assets that were previously added in Sims 1, 2 and 3. I feel like its such a shame that EA has a HUUUUGE catalog of 3D models, art designs and assets ready to be used, but are left in the past, when it could only improve our content quantity and cut corners without lefting us with our hands empty.
As an example, I'll use Simsi45 convertion from Sims 2 Family Fun to Sims 4. It came with two separate sets, one was an underwater/mermaid themed bedroom set, while the other one was a castle/princess set. Here is the image of the B&B assets (they don't convert CAS assets unfortunately):
fa6bc85e38a0f20e9312b0f94354f8b294db1385.png
Ok... and by "packs with atavist assets" I mean as an example... imagine if we had gotten Island Living exactly as it is, but if it was shipped with the whole "underwater themed" set converted from Sims 2? Or maybe some sets from Sims 3 Island Paradise? or assets from Sims 3 Barnacle Bay or SUnlit Tides? Converting assets is always cheaper and quicker than creating something from scratch, and it would cut corners by adding more/extra content to us players and still allowing the devs with the rest of their budget for new thingsgameplay/CAS and B&B.
Attention: I'm not saying I want this to substitute the new assets we got in Sims 4 packs, but rather a whole new "atavist" set with the new assets sets in such packs. And maybe we could even get (as an example) the castle set in a cheaper kit.
Sims 1 would be a little more expensive, as it didn't had 3D assets, but only had 2D images, but at least we could get some throwback/atavist stuff packs with new assets inspired by the ones in Sims 1.
This could be things from extra columns, plants, doors, windows, flooring, wallpaper, roofing, hairstyles, clothing, beards, tattoos, accessories, bedroom sets, living room sets, dining room sets, etc...
Another example I could give is Laundry Day... we could've gotten both the assets we had + the Sims 3 ambition assets related to laundry that had a totally different style and even the laundry machine/dryer had a different feel to them. More modern and posh.

Would you buy packs with "atavist" assets? 59 votes

Yes... so nostalgic! But only if it was extra content, with budget being spent first on prioritizing the usually new things in Sims 4 pack.
40%
auroraael14tams2578GalacticGalIcewolfalexspoom13love7680Isb917JestTrumystang1972BluelleDarkLady2788kemoweryLustianiciaPenguinFoopcatmando830QueenMercyOldeseadoggeColton147147Zimz4comicsforlife 24 votes
YES. Nostalgia hitting hard! I am a fan and I deserve FANSERVICE! (But only if they made them sims 4 maxis match)
32%
Goldmoldarbrackencat31TheSpotted_CFlashMarkerToriegreydonnduhboy2u2phantasmkissjak135BabykittyjadeDaraviSajahiTrashmagicAinedreamprisonerGordyCalico45Flikka_FlikkaAaleyn 19 votes
No, I don't like this "Reduce, Reuse and Recycle" trend in my game. I only want new things, I'm paying the devs to work only in new assets!
13%
Colorist40Sasquatch7haneulZiafarStarDreamerplumboy23derevaunBenjamilian 8 votes
No, I don't want 2000's/2010's looking stuff in my game, only modern 2020's assets please. Let those "tube televisions" and "landlines" lying on the museums or landfills as they should be!
13%
JueJuePlayerSinger2010Chicklet453681NightlyCoffeeVeeDubACruelButLovingGodZoeyevesterHavenRose 8 votes

Comments

• Options
    shailaputriishailaputrii Posts: 64 Member
    edited June 2021
    Yes... so nostalgic! But only if it was extra content, with budget being spent first on prioritizing the usually new things in Sims 4 pack.
    i dont care about reusing old meshes but the old gen textures are foogly and they had no sense of fashion back then(they still dont)
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    YES. Nostalgia hitting hard! I am a fan and I deserve FANSERVICE! (But only if they made them sims 4 maxis match)
    I hardly remember Sims 2 and I never played Sims 1, so there wouldn't be much of a nostalgia factor personally. Still though, this sounds like a cool idea to me, so as long as they don't do it too much and they tell us upfront what they are, I'd buy it.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    I'm torn between yes and no, mainly yes. I would love the items but i want original meshes used for everything (I'm looking at you DHD)
  • Options
    PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    I could see the old stuff coming back but not at the expense of the new and it would take modernizing them. After all, I doubt things from Sim 1 would be playable in Sims 4 as is.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I'd prefer updated versions that honor the old ones. I loved that kids room stuff with the dragon and castles but I'd like it improved upon if it was included. Kind of like including old premade sims, but the way they did the Pleasant sisters and Mrs. Crumplebottom, not like the strange woman who has Nina Caliente's name.
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    You’re missing an option. “Yes, as long as it was in tandem with modern assets.”
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    No, I don't want 2000's/2010's looking stuff in my game, only modern 2020's assets please. Let those "tube televisions" and "landlines" lying on the museums or landfills as they should be!
    No. I cringe going back to TS2 and the stylistic choices (that were modern at the time). I don't want that back in my game.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I wouldn't mind it although if I'm being honest I'm not to bothered about having more build & buy items in general, I feel that the game is already very bloated in that respect. I can't even open build & buy mode without it lagging my entire game.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Decline to vote, as I think the underlying premise is flawed.

One cannot simply import models from previous iterations of the game. They would have to re-make each item, and re-create its functionality, in terms understood by the TS4 engine.

This would be a huge undertaking. Simpler to allow them to develop current content for the game we have - just as has been done in prior versions.
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    There are a lot of objects I loved in previous versions. I wouldn't mind them coming back, as long as it isn't at the expense of new content, and as long as they were updated to match the current art style.

Just off the top of my head, I loved the Pillows of Poshness! They were great décor for an elegant bedroom, for a reading nook, or like someone threw them off the bed to sleep in it and didn't bother picking them back up.

Currently, Sims 4 furniture sets always feel incomplete. You can't set up an entire house with a fully matched furniture set, and you can't mix up a house with different styles in colors that match. If updated meshes from previous versions of the Sims could patch up those blank spots without being nothing more than a cash-grab pack of their own, if they really, truly linked current styles as opposed to being more objects that don't match anything outside their own collection, then maybe I could be happy.

TL;DR: Yes, but please don't half-plum it. I'd like it to match what we have.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    EnigmaOFFCEnigmaOFFC Posts: 58 Member
    @Sindocat have you ever tried converting an asset from Sims 2/3 to SIms 4 before? I have, and I only did it because I couldn't make one from scratch, its much easier to convert and retouch some things than making it from nothing.
  • Options
    EnigmaOFFCEnigmaOFFC Posts: 58 Member
    edited June 2021
    There are a lot of objects I loved in previous versions. I wouldn't mind them coming back, as long as it isn't at the expense of new content, and as long as they were updated to match the current art style.

Just off the top of my head, I loved the Pillows of Poshness! They were great décor for an elegant bedroom, for a reading nook, or like someone threw them off the bed to sleep in it and didn't bother picking them back up.

Currently, Sims 4 furniture sets always feel incomplete. You can't set up an entire house with a fully matched furniture set, and you can't mix up a house with different styles in colors that match. If updated meshes from previous versions of the Sims could patch up those blank spots without being nothing more than a cash-grab pack of their own, if they really, truly linked current styles as opposed to being more objects that don't match anything outside their own collection, then maybe I could be happy.

TL;DR: Yes, but please don't half-plum it. I'd like it to match what we have.

@phantasmkiss that would be a fun free patch, adding the objects with matching colors/woods to fill the gaps on those sets we have in-game that are incomplete. Like if they converted the whole SIms 2 base game objects with their original colors and new colors matching those incomplete sets from Sims 4, they could even add houses from Sims 2 base game on the official maxis gallery as a comemorative thing (or even a free world... if I'm not mistaken Pleasantview and the other 2 base game worlds were around the usual 11/12 lots we have in Sims 4.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,345 Member
    Not sure how I'd vote here, honestly, since I never played Sims 1 or 2. Maybe a question best left to the long-timers. But I immediately went to check out Simsi45's cc stuff! :love::lol: Thanks for showing those examples.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    edited June 2021
    Yes, I have been thinking about this a lot before. Wouldn't it be cool if...? I always hate to leave behind favorite objects or styles of furniture or even CAS items when a new iteration of the game gets released. I hate that every item I paid for in all those packs can't be carried over to a new version of the game. However, when a new version gets introduced I do look for the new content. I can see how people can get apprehensive about the idea of team Maxis/EA spending resources that could be used for new features, cas assets, and build/buy mode objects but instead get spend on rehashing things we've already paid for in the past. To be fair team Maxis has re-introduced various items and concepts (up to and including entire expansion packs) in some form that were available in previous sims games into the sims 4. They do seem to try and balance new and 'old' content. However, I would definitely be open to adding objects/cas re-releases that are straight from sims 1, 2, and/or 3 with the same looks (but maybe functionality tweaked to sims 4 specs - if the sims 4 allows for more features than then what was possible in the older games). I also do think this should be extra and not compromise the development of new sims 4 products.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Other---it's already in the game. There are lots of antique or throwback-type stuff in build or buy mode
  • Options
    g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    EnigmaOFFC wrote: »
    @Sindocat have you ever tried converting an asset from Sims 2/3 to SIms 4 before? I have, and I only did it because I couldn't make one from scratch, its much easier to convert and retouch some things than making it from nothing.

How about some before and after photos to show examples of your conversions?
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2021
    Yes I believe in the use of it as games evolve, old and new mix but not for Sims 4 which suffered for me as it was stripped of almost everything that would have been great or even tweaked. Some stuff do come over but may be renamed. I am not against reusing or recycling as I how Sims 4 lacks in many areas. A chair is an chair, an sink is an sink which all serve the same purpose and uses. But for me Sims 4 is based off of just items and not much on features and there is much more to this game than throwing in items and one feature for me would make one's item stand out is CAST which you have an huge access to the palette of many colors and designs which Sims 4 lacks.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    There were so many unique items...I'd love to have some of them. Yes, they are outdated and in some cases, quite ugly. It makes me want them more! Do you ever have those certain sims who just seem to love quirky, mismatched or just weird things? I have one in my current challenge family and it would be so great to have some of those items for him :)
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    edited June 2021
    Removed
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I would absolutely buy a pack that had items in previous game versions.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I don't know what to vote because it depends on the content, Like I recall past games having some pretty awesome stuff, and I would have loved to see it come back. I believe in second, third, fourth chances. And in a way I think they do that, a lot of content is comparable, in designs with a fresh new look, which is neat. However... I agree with Maxis Match, it has to fit.

However Nostalgia can subjective, I feel like It's better to keep it at an easter egg level. Maybe Something new reflects on one of the older versions, and it's come with improvements. After all that isn't what the Sims 2, Sims 3, and Sims 4 does? Generation after Generation.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    So I am actually somewhere in the middle of the first two. I namely want gameplay, but so long as it matches the aesthetic I do not mind nostalgia ports from 1, 2, and 3 at all.
  • Options
    kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    Yes, but the answer is "kind of." I downloaded CC to get that kids' castle bedroom set. I don't miss most of the furniture except the stuff that would actually add functionality, like spiral stairs. But I miss a lot of the clothing from TS2, the style of robots from TS2 and 3, and a lot of the pack stuff from TS3. I'd love to buy decade or style-themed stuff packs, or being able to get an entire new world, with b/b and CAS stuff, like Lunar Lakes or Dragon Valley.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Absolutely! However, they would definitely need to be sure to include new gameplay object, since these will be stuff packs. But, the new gameplay object would be well worth the $10 for a nostalgic pack! I'm usually against them doing these things, but this is actually something I'd consider purchasing! Especially if they redo the Sims 2 stuff packs!

If they do a Sims 3 pack, I'd love for it to be the 70's, 80's and 90's pack!
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Thank you for teaching me a new word!

I would never use that mermaid bed set, tbh.

I wonder if they have done research groups to see which items from past games were most/least popular. Idk if they've actually added items from past games and packs into TS4, but I kinda feel like they have? As long as it looks good, I wouldn't mind.