Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This is why I cannot play this game anymore.....

While it's fresh in my memory, here's a prime example of why The Sims 4 is a real mess of a game. To set the scene I was playing as Cassandra Goth and had her about to marry Don Lothario when I had Don bail out on the wedding. (A trip down nostalgia Lane.) Cassandra was as expected very angry at this. She stomps around for a few minutes then randomly starts making spaghetti. OK so I also turn to food in times of emotional distress so I get it girl, but I kinda wanted some drama. So I get Don to make out with another sim literally right in front of cassandra and she doesn't bat an eye lid. Her angry moodlet has been over ridden with a happy one (I guess because of the spaghetti? Which to be fair I can also relate to) but that's not realistic! I cancel all actions on Cassandra and get Don to make out with the other sim again and still nothing. Cassandra goes off to dance....Don is not fazed. He's living his best life. So I go to start an argument. I select mean interactions between Don and Cassandra but they just cancel out! Don and Cassandra just start random group conversations with other sims and all my commands are just cancelled out as soon as I select them. Then they sit there happily chatting to each other as if nothing has happened! What is going on with this game?! So an hour or so goes by (sims time) Don and Cassandra happily co existing, Cassandra is even dancing with Don's side chick like she has total amnesia then all of a sudden back comes the angry moodlet followed by some angry stomping around. So I think yay let's start an argument again. I select a mean interaction and poof! Action cancelled and moodlet is gone, replaced with happy again. I honestly give up! I wanted to love this game, (good lord I've spent enough money on it) but it's fundamental gameplay mechanics ruled by emotion buffs is just so beyond repair I just find myself quitting in frustration and loading either Sims 2 or 3 up for my sims fix. Please tell me Sims 5 is in the works and if it is, please tell me the devs have used sims 4 programming as an example of "what not to do!" Use the Sims 2 gameplay mechanics. That worked. Thanks.
*note* I do not and never have, used mods or CC in my Sims 4 game.

Comments

• PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Add mods. Only way to fix it.
  • atriawandatriawand Posts: 2 New Member
    yeah, just get some mods that add a bunch of more realistic - or not - chaos. it mkaes it a lot more enjoyable for your money.
  • KendiMyersKendiMyers Posts: 9 New Member
    Amen!!!!
  • KendiMyersKendiMyers Posts: 9 New Member
    The only way I make my game fun is to just get a load of sims and make them kill each other until I can get them to woohoo with the ghost and then I usually just make big houses and kidnap people until the whole world is either ghosts or in my house pregnant and woohooing with their parents or siblings.
  • DrbigtDrbigt Posts: 222 Member
    edited April 2020
    The emotions are superficial at best in this game.

You can take angry poop, proud poop, inspired poop, flirty poop or energized poop. It makes no difference either way and kinda summarizes the whole emotion system in a nutshell.

I think one of the most annoying things about the whole superficiality of it all occured when I was playing an evil character had to go around mean interactions, I went to Bob Pancake's house and saw they had a baby, while Bob was away I began to do all sorts of lengthy interactions so that Eliza who was my rival couldn't feed the baby in hopes that the baby would be taken away from them. Despite me even receiving a notification that the baby needed food, nothing happened in the numerous Sim hours of my character stopping Eliza by going and telling her knock knock jokes and using hand buzzer on her until eventually Bob came home to home full of Eliza's pee puddles (because she couldn't go to the toilet with my character telling knock knock jokes) and went to play Sims forever on computer instead of feeding the baby, then they just kinda went to do their own thing like nothing had happened despite the fact that Eliza was complete and utter mess at this point for having been prevented to fulfill her moodlets.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    The Meaningful Stories mod is godsend. It's making the emotions play exactly like you'd expect them to.
    Just don't install the "color fix" bit that turns "happy" grey and "fine" green. The developer thinks it matches the UI better, but IMHO it just doesn't make sense (AND it bugs out Servos, since they are completely faceless when happy instead having green eyes).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited April 2020
    deleted....I'll just start my own thread, since I think this needs more discussion :)
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    This is why I prefer autonomy off- actions only cancel when the sim in question can't get to whatever it is they're interacting with, and they'll never randomly go and dance after being cheated on. I will make the perpetrator be SLAPPED!
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Why I still play TS2!

*Hold up the hands*
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Why I still play TS2!

*Hold up the hands*

I don't, but objectively it is the best game in the series, or at least the most detailed. Showing people that never played 2 or 3 the animations... The cooking one alone blows Sims 4 (AND 3) out of the water.

Just imagine it with modern graphics...
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    The emotion system is the main reason I can barely deal with the game. It's just flawed plain and simple. It doesn't work. I can see what they were going for and why they'd want something like this, but the execution was awful. And 6 years into the game, it's gotten no better. Whoever programmed sims to naturally incline toward happiness and never respond negatively to anything, destroyed any resemblance to a life simulator. When a pretty picture in a run down apartment overrides all feelings of despair that have been occurring in a sims live (getting fired, getting divorced, losing their child, a death in the family), then the game has failed and simulating life. The team has gotten too caught up in trying to add trends and dIvErSiTy into the game, and make it a happy bubble safe space. They've let everything else fall to the wayside and the game is simply not enjoyable.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited April 2020
    The Meaningful Stories mod is godsend. It's making the emotions play exactly like you'd expect them to.
    Just don't install the "color fix" bit that turns "happy" grey and "fine" green. The developer thinks it matches the UI better, but IMHO it just doesn't make sense (AND it bugs out Servos, since they are completely faceless when happy instead having green eyes).

Thanks for this imput. I also don't like the color change. I will delete that file. Thx!
    And yes, Meaningfull stories is really great!
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I also use ui cheats mod so that i can right click in moodlets and delete all environmental ones... or all others that doesn't make sense to me.
  • DrbigtDrbigt Posts: 222 Member
    I'd just like to point out that just to enjoy playing Sims 4, I have to run literally 316 mods.Which doesn't even include a single new modded item or anything, just to get rid of stupid stuff or to tweak things that annoy me.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited April 2020
    Why I still play TS2!

*Hold up the hands*

I don't, but objectively it is the best game in the series, or at least the most detailed. Showing people that never played 2 or 3 the animations... The cooking one alone blows Sims 4 (AND 3) out of the water.

Just imagine it with modern graphics...

I agree with you entirely, and would love a remaster, but isn’t this what a sequel should ultimately bring in itself though? Otherwise, what is the point?

The Sims 3 didn’t capture all of The Sims 2’s magic, but it still shot for the stars and looked to bring some massive improvements to the series. It did have instability issues and I had other gripes with it, but at least it had some actual game design. The Sims 4 barely even tried.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    From what I've been reading here, Sims 2 actually seems like a pretty good game. I think they should just scrap all the plans they have for TS5 (multiplayer, really? Nobody asked for that), and just re-release TS2 with better graphics, maybe with open neighborhoods and proper time-continuity and I would buy it. In fact, the only things that keep me from buying TS2 is the hassle of making it run on windows 10 and the graphics that only look good with a heckload of cc.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited April 2020
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    From what I've been reading here, Sims 2 actually seems like a pretty good game. I think they should just scrap all the plans they have for TS5 (multiplayer, really? Nobody asked for that), and just re-release TS2 with better graphics, maybe with open neighborhoods and proper time-continuity and I would buy it. In fact, the only things that keep me from buying TS2 is the hassle of making it run on windows 10 and the graphics that only look good with a heckload of cc.

Instead of creating a remaster, I think they'd go pretty far by just playing The Sims 2 and delving deep into its core gameplay to understand what fans really love about it. The Sims 4 feels like its made by people who have seldom played the past games, if at all.

It does seem that the general consensus of the fans is wanting the gameplay of TS2 and the open world/customization of TS3 in the next game (which is what should have been The Sims 4). I know as much as TS2 remains my favorite even with its closed world setup, I think perfecting the open world is the way to go.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Instead of creating a remaster, I think they'd go pretty far by just playing The Sims 2 and delving deep into its core gameplay to understand what fans really love about it. The Sims 4 feels like its made by people who have seldom played the past games, if at all.

It does seem that the general consensus of the fans is wanting the gameplay of TS2 and the open world/customization of TS3 in the next game (which is what should have been The Sims 4). I know as much as TS2 remains my favorite even with its closed world setup, I think perfecting the open world is the way to go.

I think a majority of the devs not having played past games isn't even that far-fetched. As much as I know, most of them haven't worked on earlier games and probably haven't played them either. This would explain why their vision for the game is so disconnected from what the players actually want.

I am a bit sceptical when it comes to open world. On one side, it's a neat idea, but they really have to do it well. In TS3, open world caused a lot of issues for many players, be it empty venues, lag and stuttering or story progression making rotational play really hard to do (disabling story progression in the options wasn't enough to stop it completely). If they ever intent on bringing it back, they should try to sort these issues out first. Other than that, I'd also be fine with open districts in which you can visit your direct neighbors without loading screens, but would have one when visiting another neighborhood.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    edited April 2020
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I think a majority of the devs not having played past games isn't even that far-fetched. As much as I know, most of them haven't worked on earlier games and probably haven't played them either. This would explain why their vision for the game is so disconnected from what the players actually want.

I am a bit sceptical when it comes to open world. On one side, it's a neat idea, but they really have to do it well. In TS3, open world caused a lot of issues for many players, be it empty venues, lag and stuttering or story progression making rotational play really hard to do (disabling story progression in the options wasn't enough to stop it completely). If they ever intent on bringing it back, they should try to sort these issues out first. Other than that, I'd also be fine with open districts in which you can visit your direct neighbors without loading screens, but would have one when visiting another neighborhood.

They don't and it's clear they don't. But I don't think most of them play TS4 unless they have to...it shows.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top