Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Simmers, welcome! - Community’s tips & tricks to get started

Comments

• MEW8313MEW8313 Posts: 6 New Member
    Hello every one, I'm kinda newish to playing! I started with The Sims Life Story and surprisingly I still have the disk for it. Finding the building to be more of my thing then the actual game play. Been playing for about 3 months and I stream 2 days a week on Twitch. Just started a YT channel to upload building videos on.
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    edited June 2021
    I wish that there were baby showers in the sims 4 game so that they can play baby bingo and give gifts to the upcoming baby

Oh man... that just makes me think they'd need to add a new way for sims to die: someone having a 'gender reveal' party causing a sim to get blown up by fireworks... since that seems to be a new thing these days.

On the other hand... maybe a pass on that one...

I have always felt that my enthusiasm for this game was greater than most people's.. And the older I get, the more I need to meet people who share my enthusiasm!

Online communities tend to be an odd clash of two extremes: The people in love with a product who want to gush about it and share their enthusiasm (and I can just picture one of my sims that has a near breakdown screaming in excitement when she gets that combo of happy and enthused)... and the people stomping around with the angry moodlet because they've burned out on or not liked something for just too long, but have too much "sunk cost fallacy" to be able to just walk away. Meaning, they've spent too much time and too much money so they feel they can't just move on despite how much better off they'd personally be if they did. "Sunk cost fallacy" is literally the entire business model of consumer-hostile MMORPGs like World of Warcraft...

That means that you basically have a random chance here of thinking no one else likes the game as much as you, or feeling you've landed in the middle of some weird cult of people handing around a magazine and talking about the wonderful news of the 'Good Sim'.

The middle ground of 'normal player' has a lot less need to get involved here, but they probably represent the majority of folks.

Now... have you heard about the news? The Good Sim? I've got a magazine here that can tell you all about it. Just ignore that alien with a clipboard behind me. ;)

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • lifeofdaydreamslifeofdaydreams Posts: 44 Member
    I've been playing the franchise since I was a kid, in the distant year 2000... So here are a few tips.

The main tip I can give new players is: don't be afraid to go be wacky! Many of us like the perfect cookie-cutter lifestyle, but it can get bland. Many of the most fun features in the game are precisely a bit weird and quirky! Don't be afraid to give your sims or your lots "bad" traits, of trying out different careers or making them grind for money in unexpected ways. Experiment with the grilled cheese aspiration, search for all the hidden lots, try to complete a collection. Branch out in your gameplay for a more rounded experience. You'll definitely be surprised by what you can find!

Also, I'd strongly encourage new players to search for challenges created by the community, such as the black widow challenge, rags to riches, legacy, decades, the 100 baby challenge, etc. All of those can be super fun! :D

Something I also like to do is giving my favorite townies makeovers! I especially like to do it to those townies who also came in previous games of the franchise. I can tailor them to look more in line with how I picture them to be. I often tweak their traits and aspirations, enlarge or reduce their households, etc. It's very entertaining.

Take a peek at other social media platforms as well. The sims community is very active on Youtube, Reddit, Tumblr, and Twitter. You can find many sources of inspiration and even share your creations, which is always great!

I hope you have a good time. ;)
  • Ada568Ada568 Posts: 1 New Member
    I enjoy playing The Sims 3, now I'm thinking of having some of my Sim's kids move in with their spouses and try to turn my Sim's husband into a host and try for a baby because I want to earn a special achievement for it. I thought of having 3 more kids, a girl named Samantha, a older sister named Elizabeth and finally a son named Donnie, I got the inspiration for those names from the 2001 Donnie Darko.
  • Trin_611Trin_611 Posts: 31 Member
    I know that I am a new member of the forums but I am not new to playing the game. I don't know if anyone has said this yet but I like to play with the Slice of Life Mod. It gives you more of a realistic game-playing experience. It makes the sims a little bit more challenging if you get bored easily.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,900 Member
    Hello its me again. I just installed the Snowy Escape pack, it is excellent i love it. So i wondered if the fact that it is installed as a separate app than Sims4 is normal ? And also about gameplay, why do sims keep takin off their shoes after i took down the sign ?
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
    ok sorry guys, i shouldve searched further, i found out some not all expansion packs can be managed seperately by windows. Ill leave it at that. BUT it does not explain why the rock climbing social event (ingame) dont work, as well as the various festivals in Mt.Kenowabi !?
    hmm... this is embarassing, i just noticed i needed to update the game itself .... live and learn i guess lol
  • SimpeachySimpeachy Posts: 2 New Member
    I have been playing the sims for about 7-8 years now, I love playing story lines and giving backstories to my sims. I've found that if you're feeling burned out, take a break and relax. Watch a movie or go out to eat. I find that sometimes when I take a break I find new story lines that I would like to playout in my game.
    yeah.. it didnt work! i cant plan social event hiking it still dont work; its like void, brings me back to manage worlds. And whats the trick for the heaters? I mean cause i dont have seasons im not used to virtual snow yet.. so i absolutely love this pack.... i made the mountain look a bit like the adirondacks and personally i take all fireplaces out (after almost loosing a sim) and also toddlers i didnt know if they go into the fire at some point so i didnt risk a fireplace where there is toddlers.... so im in need of a little guidance... but for now i downloaded Lindsey Vonn from the gallery, and im having fun coaching her to snowboard ;)
    Hi! i have to apologize again, cause being old is not an excuse! im reading just now something of a bug report i just found about the social event climbing, its from about a month ago, dunno if i can post the thread here, better not... i yapped enough as it is lol. Apparently this 'glitch' is known and i just have to wait round for the fix! Now im a part of the Mystery Grey Llama bug report thread ... cheers ! l8r ;)
  • BlackRoseKYTBlackRoseKYT Posts: 4 New Member
    Hey y’all
    I finally have the courage to start a channel it’s a channel. It’s been a dream of mine to do for as long as I can remember! Currently the videos will mostly be focused on Sims, gaming videos of various games! Arts/crafts such as me painting something or showing you guys a collection of dream catchers that I have created. But if my channel becomes more popular on video games such as sims, I will change my channel to just video games! I wanted to be different by offering a variety of videos to appease multiple people!!

My goal for the next two months is to reach 100 subscribers but will be happy with 20-50 :) I am trying to reach for the stars, you guys!! Also if you have content, I may like I will also subscribe to you guys. THIS IS NOT A SUB4SUB channel. I will only sub if I enjoy your content just as I would hope you would only sub if you enjoy mine!! If that is something you are interested in then, please subscribe! Watch some fun videos I have posted. Yes, there are only 4 at the moment I will be creating a lot of videos any ideas or suggestions go to my channel and put it in the discussions! I read and try to comment on ALL comments!! <3

I created a new challenge with either tweaked rules, or made-up rules from Rags to riches, Legacy challenges. Mine is Called Rags to Legacy Challenge with an actual rule page.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sceEvRMOB15uvpe-BWqhDvim-a-PgqelH08YNPr-Vxk/edit?usp=sharing

Another challenge I have created off top of my head is A Renovation description Challenge! **comment a new name for this challenge not sure what to call it!**
    https://docs.google.com/document/u/2/d/e/2PACX-1vRQakKcZM88VUEM7ShbelX79UUGpcKNl2ktc9OF2RP07x4L65ery296_mrbUsA50IwhtyZDkcXHEkkF/pub?fbclid=IwAR2YYCijpRMNVMmltpldp5z2WkSU1bmGx9SsSxw34qtEc9F-puo4TSQ29mI

You should check out my videos on YouTube, leave a comment about the video any suggestions, comments, or tips are muchly appreciated! If you like the content don’t forget to like and subscribe! I plan to upload at least 4 more videos throughout the week for this first week so stay tuned! Comment on the discussion side of my YouTube channel any videos you would like to see. Topped liked one will be added to my to-do list this week!

My YouTube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCegaObZ5zCclWLPy0LDoeHg

Won't you guys help a girl out with her dreams of reaching her 100-subscriber mark? Once we hit the permanent 100 subscriber mark, I will be doing a GIVE away for Sims or a Gift Card for the non-simmers!

P.S if you yourself are not a fan that is fine, feel free to share my channel on your FB wall, on your YT videos, or just in general like Facebook messaging 😊
  • SandyLee149SandyLee149 Posts: 65 Member
    > @MarmaladeJade said:
    > @ EuphorialQueen Even when you turn off the weather, you are still subject to almost every plant having a definite seasonality. It's not something I'd recommend for unseasoned newbies until they get a feel for how they like the game and having the ability to have some of their ingredients available year round without relying on seed packets. I'm not totally against the pack- I just think it is better for more intermediate players. Also, I like playing with the temperature effects- how else can I kill a certain sim without having another sim do it? :tongue:
    >
    > Oh yea, for absolute newbies that just want a free home- "freerealestate on" is the best cheat ever. You don't even need testing cheats to be on to use it, If you really want to keep the cheating to a minimum while cheating.

I left a post yesterday regarding my indoor basement garden with trees. I'm not sure if it's because I purchased the Green Thumb with my satisfaction points, but.... I find that I have to plant the seed during the appropriate season for that plant, but they continued to bloom out of season. I am growing Valerian and Mandrake which are both Fall and Spring plants. It's currently winter in my game but they are still giving me harvestables. And they never die. They go back to seed occasionally, but when they grow up again they are still perfect.
  • HersimsHersims Posts: 1 New Member
    Thank you for the tips and tricks
  • Mread1Mread1 Posts: 7 New Member
    grim be comin for that llama just like
    "lemme take yo soul"
    "nah"
    "cmonnnnnnnnn"
    "ok i guess"
  • Sims4rules86Sims4rules86 Posts: 1 New Member
    Is there a way to modify the date of when a Sim was made? I had an issue with the latest pack and got rid of it to go back to where my save games were working normally with out any problems. I really want to be able to use this Sim again in my current save game.
  • noobprolitnoobprolit Posts: 2 New Member
    bad grammer warns

Im new I died on my first time because I starved from food i think. I was new I didn"t understand, my sister watches a little bit of sims and knew it, she showed me that if my people died I can save them with ingredents.
    Said she help get fishes i had a goldfish this purple one and 3 blue forgot the purple one but the yellow was goldfish and blue ones were angelfish. do you have any tips for new people.
  • noobprolitnoobprolit Posts: 2 New Member
    i suck at building the roofs dont get me started
  • WafflezxlolzWafflezxlolz Posts: 3 New Member
    Hello! Sorry, but I don't know where else to post this, new to this site. Does anyone know how to add a New Sim to an already existing Family in The Sims (2000)? Thank you in advance :smiley:
    Hello! Sorry, but I don't know where else to post this, new to this site. Does anyone know how to add a New Sim to an already existing Family in The Sims (2000)? Thank you in advance :smiley:

Hopefully you'll figure it out before reading this, its basically very easy to add in CAS (create-a-sim) ;)
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    Is there a way to modify the date of when a Sim was made? I had an issue with the latest pack and got rid of it to go back to where my save games were working normally with out any problems. I really want to be able to use this Sim again in my current save game.
    Unfortunately, no. That can't be modified. You can (with cheats) change how old they are however.
    Any Sims from the Gallery or your Library will reset to 0. Basically as a brand new Sim.
    noobprolit wrote: »
    i suck at building the roofs don't get me started
    Believe me when I say, "YES!" I found the roofs a real challenge too when I first started playing. ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• BlackjackWidowBlackjackWidow Posts: 23 Member
    edited July 2021

Do you mean you're concerned because the sim was made with a pack you don't have anymore? You don't have to change the creation date in order to use it. When you open the old save, it will give you a warning that says something like "items were removed" - that's the game telling you the stuff from the other pack isn't there anymore. Depending on what items you used in creating your sim, it might be bald or naked or need new aspirations or traits, but just tweak it in Create A Sim (CAS).

If you have the sim saved in your gallery, you can add it to your current game in Manage Households.

If you have old saves that were created with the other pack, you can open them without it. Use "Save As" to make a new game for your new setup. That will keep the old save intact, in case you get the other pack working again.

There's a lot of good information HERE that can help you with managing save games. In particular, the "How do I Restore a Game" section can give you ideas on retrieving older saves. Hope that helps
  • ArtesyCaseyArtesyCasey Posts: 3 New Member
    okay, I have been playing the sims for a while. and my tip is at the beginning try too not to do any money cheats. because once you start it's hard to stop.

also don't be afraid to add some drama into your sim's lives, maybe your sims inlaws hate them or love them than their own children, or maybe your sim's spouse has a secretive child they may have not known about. just add some spice.
    OR you can put in the money cheat #simoleonsforeveryone and experiment with more freedom :pensive:
  • queen777queen777 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey there! so i just wanted to share something that i discovered for anyone who might be having the same problem. So my sim kept getting sick every time she ate something. so I looked up why but the only reasons I could find was because she might have eaten a fruit cake, because she was pregnant, because of the lot trait, cc, or because of a picky eater trait. none of these where the case for me. my sim used to be a vampire. so i changed her back into a vampire with a cheat code ->(traits.equip_trait trait_OccultVampire). then i realized she had the "withered stomach" vampire weakness. so i removed her weaknesses with a cheat. ->(bucks.lock_all_perks_for_bucks_type 40962 {simID} false) __ {to get sim id-> sims.get_sim_id_by_name (First Name) (Last Name)} then I turned her back into a normal sim ->(traits.remove_trait trait_OccultVampire) and now she can eat again. I hope this helps! Also before you do anything don't forget to turn testingcheats on!