Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Simmers, welcome! - Community’s tips & tricks to get started

Comments

• KennbritKennbrit Posts: 6 New Member
    > @Sharebear67 said:
    > Hey @RockyMightSim I wanted to say that @EuphorialQueen has a great idea. I still use the styled rooms on the building mode page. I get ideas on how to decorate my rooms with certain styles or to not clutter my rooms so much.
  • indilokiindiloki Posts: 8 New Member
    just commenting to get points so i can ask my own question
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    indiloki wrote: »
    just commenting to get points so i can ask my own question

I suggest finding interesting threads to engage in instead.

There's a lot of varied discussions here about the sims. Go out and look at all the various threads, read some, and post your thoughts on the topic. A lot of chances to learn new things in there too.

Everyday I'm finding something I didn't know or didn't realize I could do / fix / break / etc. ;)

Sometimes I do land on a thread where I very strongly disagree with a poster's comment or 'off topic real life' statement - and have to mentally work to disengage. But more often even the opinions that I don't share offer some insight.

Doing that, you'll kind of naturally hit the post limit requirement by just getting interested in what's going on here.

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    Maladai!

So I've been in Sims 4 now for just over a month, and I think here close to that amount of time.

I came in with the big sale on Steam - a little worrying as I don't like having my stuff tied to third party platforms - and when I did so I went nuts and bought up about 80% of the DLC...

I'd been a Sims 1 player back when that was new, and I believe I have Sims 2 and some 'Urbz' game on discs somewhere that never got installed for reasons I no longer remember - despite wanting to play them.

For me a big attraction here is the ability to mod stuff. Right off the bat I downloaded several GBs full of mods of varying quality and have been teaching myself how to fix things in them, how to separate out the good from the bad, and so on. I think half my 'Sims' time is spent looking at and organizing mod files - but that's just fine by me. Half the time in the game is way better than I achieve when I was doing this in Skyrim because at least here the game is pretty stable.

It's a lot easier to mess around with mods here, and when one goes bad, to just delete a file or two and move on. It's a little more tricky here to edit or fix them though.

In real life I'm in the intersection between tech and law. So messing with things in here is kind of fascinating to me. Sims modding helps fill my 'geek-out' need bar, and Sims play helps fill my 'social science experimentation' need bar with wacky highly unreal but often comical results.

I've had a lot of fun semi-learning Simlish. Pay attention and they use certain phrases at certain times and now those phrases keep knocking around inside my head.
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Simlish#Known_Simlish_translations

My tips would be to
    - alternate play through a couple of different styles until you find what clicks for you.
    - do some building.
    - - download some lots and try changing them a bit.

- Make a couple households of different themes, save them to your library before playing them, and then alternate between them for a bit, using that library save in cane you want to start one over after you understand what you like doing more.

- After playing through the new player tutorial, start a new game without the tutorial. That seems to be useful to avoid certain 'immortal unkillable' townie sims, if the presence of them would bother you.

- Every last premade sim can be safely edited or even deleted. Even ones in things like the Magic expac that teach you magic (the game assigns a new townie to fill the teacher spot).

lastly... help me report all these spammers... They seem to be trying to take over this thread with random real-life ads... ;)

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • karibirdkaribird Posts: 36 Member
    I wish I was better at building! I've been playing for yeaaars and I can build a beautiful looking house from the outside... but then I have no idea what to do with the inside. The layout, the decor, everything. It's so frustrating! Other simmer's builds on the gallery have been a godsend.
  • SilentBeesSilentBees Posts: 11 New Member
    @karibird - I'm the exact opposite now, once I get inside it all looks great but the shells always look terrible... unless I'm mimicking a place or a style which I've seen before, at which points it gets a little easier. Though still only a little...
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,898 Member
    karibird wrote: »
    I wish I was better at building! I've been playing for yeaaars and I can build a beautiful looking house from the outside... but then I have no idea what to do with the inside. The layout, the decor, everything. It's so frustrating! Other simmer's builds on the gallery have been a godsend.

I also am one that cant do outdoors shells, i stole countless gallery lots that i totally redo inside (the insides are sometimes deleted cause i dont have the adequate packs), also i re did all the originals lots beause i put pricey furniture everyewhere, i want equality for all my sims, simoleons for every sims. I got so pasionate about remodelling lots that i stopped watching love it or list it... i even made Tarek and Chrisitna sims !

...and whats up with that WEED spammer, anyone gonna erase him ? please ! i mean i like my weed but, here is not the place to talk about that imho.
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • Tunia_6381Tunia_6381 Posts: 4 New Member
    Hello I am new to SIMS 3, i love it, but how do I share my photos on SIMS 3 community and post pics here? (share pics) and how do I change my profile picture on here? Can I add thunder and lightening and rain to SIMS 3 without getting the seasons expansion pack? TIA
  • SillybabybugSillybabybug Posts: 2 New Member
    I have been playing Sims 4 a few years now, but just recently rediscovered it during the pandemic. I'm so glad that I started utilizing the gallery for my builds as I found building houses was the thing that I really didn't enjoy during gameplay. I liked decorating them, but building them was not in my skillset.

I'm trying to decide what my next expansion should be and I'm seeing on here a lot of people recommending the seasons. What's the best added part of that expansion?
  • GingerLlamaGingerLlama Posts: 51 Member
    Sul Sul! I'm Ginger, I play The Sims since I was 6 years old (2001) and I want to apologize for my english I want to apologize for my English in advance, it is not my first language and I'm really trying to improve!

I have always felt that my enthusiasm for this game was greater than most people's.. And the older I get, the more I need to meet people who share my enthusiasm! Having tried other platforms (like youtube and twitter), they are more difficult to really start talking to people. So I'm sooo happy to join the forums, I am a rather shy person but I hope that the courage to make myself known will not be lost! It is a pleasure to be here ❤
    Sul Sul! I'm Ginger, I play The Sims since I was 6 years old (2001) and I want to apologize for my english I want to apologize for my English in advance, it is not my first language and I'm really trying to improve!

I have always felt that my enthusiasm for this game was greater than most people's.. And the older I get, the more I need to meet people who share my enthusiasm! Having tried other platforms (like youtube and twitter), they are more difficult to really start talking to people. So I'm sooo happy to join the forums, I am a rather shy person but I hope that the courage to make myself known will not be lost! It is a pleasure to be here ❤

I feel the same way, and by the way your written English is very good, i am French Canadian myself and yours is better than mine i think lol ! I am also new to the forums and the only other platform i checkout is twitch. Nice to meet you !
  • GingerLlamaGingerLlama Posts: 51 Member
    > @rongtudjuuu said:
    > I feel the same way, and by the way your written English is very good, i am French Canadian myself and yours is better than mine i think lol ! I am also new to the forums and the only other platform i checkout is twitch. Nice to meet you !

Thank you! I can understand and read everything but my written is with a little help haha Nice to meet you too!
  • trineloetrineloe Posts: 37 Member
    edited May 2021
    Tunia_6381 wrote: »
    Hello I am new to SIMS 3, i love it, but how do I share my photos on SIMS 3 community and post pics here? (share pics) and how do I change my profile picture on here? Can I add thunder and lightening and rain to SIMS 3 without getting the seasons expansion pack? TIA

@Tunia_6381 - Welcome! The short answer: You need to become a member, which takes either with 15 comments or 50 points (if I remember it correctly).
    The more fulfilling, right answer: If you go to Categories, you'll find some pretty helpfull threads in Welcome to the Forums (especially Forum Rules).
    Start by reading the posts in this one: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/979770/forum-rules-guidelines#latest
    Also, check the rules on necroposting. In that way, you'll be aware of the forum rules and guidelines. :)
    Good luck, and happy simming!
    Gallery ID: trineloe
    ~~ building life ~~
  • trineloetrineloe Posts: 37 Member
    I have been playing Sims 4 a few years now, but just recently rediscovered it during the pandemic. I'm so glad that I started utilizing the gallery for my builds as I found building houses was the thing that I really didn't enjoy during gameplay. I liked decorating them, but building them was not in my skillset.

I'm trying to decide what my next expansion should be and I'm seeing on here a lot of people recommending the seasons. What's the best added part of that expansion?

@Sillybabybug - welcome! I'm also a builder, and I'm more into interior design than the outside shell/exterior.
    Anyways, I though I could share my favorite Build&Buy of Seasons with you:
    Season/holiday decorations, e.g. for Christmas
    Very nice beds (in my opinion)
    Present piles and decoration boxes (to decorate Christmas tree and the house on the outside)
    Outside objects: Swing, kiddie pools, water balloon bucket, skating/ice skating, flower arranging table and bee box
    Other cool stuff in my opinion: Umbrella rack and scout badge board.
    Well, this is most BB.

On the other hand, Seasons offer a lot of gameplay - the weather is changing from the seasons with some differences from world to world. You can have holidays etc. in the calendar and make you own e.g. special celebration day or whatever comes to mind, let the kids become scouts aaaaand a lot more!
    Honestly, I'm not the best to talk about gameplay, but I will say Build&Buy + CAS is pretty nice! If you use origin, you can find the items in BB and CAS catalogue. I think the tab, you have to press, is overview in English. :)

Good luck and happy simming!
    Gallery ID: trineloe
    ~~ building life ~~
  • channel4simschannel4sims Posts: 22 Member
    Hello! Thanks for the welcoming message!
    I've been playing The Sims 2 for many years, and not so long ago I started playing The Sims 4.
    I think the best thing is to be able to create many stories, different characters and adventures.
    It's definitely my favorite game <3
  • pmcmenaminpmcmenamin Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum (getting to grips with how to work it)!

My name is Paula and I'm from Northern Ireland! I've been playing the sims since the Sims 1 - thankfully it's remained my favourite game throughout my life.

I'm currently completing a dissertation for my Masters degree (Msc Marketing) on the power of the Sims community. I would love to speak to people about their thoughts on the Sims! If anyone would like to have a chat with me (can be completely anonymous), please reach out!
  • LlamaDrama_888LlamaDrama_888 Posts: 2 New Member
    Don't worry too much about building houses- if they're imperfect it's just more lifelike!
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member

Welcome, and your english is just fine.
  • SumiumizumiSumiumizumi Posts: 4 New Member
    hello, my biggest tip would be to use manage worlds! when i first started to play the Sims, I only focused on my houseold and noting else. It becomes so much more fun when you play in other people's households also!
    edited June 2021
    Hi... i just bought Cats&Dogs ! Thank You so much for the discount... it is awesome great work. Nevermind the rest ;)
    Post edited by Slacker on
  • Saiyanqueen9582Saiyanqueen9582 Posts: 2 New Member
    I wish that there were baby showers in the sims 4 game so that they can play baby bingo and give gifts to the upcoming baby
  • Saiyanqueen9582Saiyanqueen9582 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @pmcmenamin said:
    > Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum (getting to grips with how to work it)!
    >
    > My name is Paula and I'm from Northern Ireland! I've been playing the sims since the Sims 1 - thankfully it's remained my favourite game throughout my life.
    >
    > I'm currently completing a dissertation for my Masters degree (Msc Marketing) on the power of the Sims community. I would love to speak to people about their thoughts on the Sims! If anyone would like to have a chat with me (can be completely anonymous), please reach out!
    >
    >

I am Colleen from Texas I was wondering could there be a wish granted to put a baby shower in the Sims 4
  • SweetviSweetvi Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey y'all! I'm a long time sims gamer (been playing since the original game and expansions, gone through 1, 2, and now 3). But I'm new to a community like this. No idea how to make friends or all that jazz. Could have REALLY used the info that there was a forum like this way back when I started. I have a lot of tips and advice I've picked up over the years. Currently I'm playing sims 3.

Big tip for building a house on a budget; remove the paint and wall decorations (and windows and doors) before you tear down the wall. You do this by either grabbing the items and moving them to a wall temporarily that you won't be touching, or with paint, you click push "ctrl" on your keyboard. "ctrl shift" does the whole room. Also good for saving money if you are repainting or reflooring. Saves just a few simoleons. but if it is a starter house or your first build and you want to play legit without using hacks, that is the way to get the most bang for your buck. I also noticed if you sell a dirty or clogged toilet, it sell for less than a clean fixed one. so if you are replacing things, take that into account to save a few simoleons too.

For babies, you can save yourself a lot of greif and checking if you click ON THE BABY in the crib, feed it, change it, play with it, then snuggle it, and let the sim's auto instinct take over. The baby occasionally will poop after, needing an almost immediate change, but then its good to go back in the crib. Want to save on a sitter? I moved my character's original mother into the house and she takes care of the babies and toddlers while the parents work. If you have to create a new character just for that, make sure it has an aspiration of family, and it has motives like "clean, family, green thumb (if you garden, which i highly suggest!), good, and possibly natural cook" those would be great traits for a "live in nanny" that you created specifically FOR this.

I'm sure you regulars have heard all these tricks and tips before, but this post was mostly aimed at people who are JUST starting to play.

Also. Hi XD

~sweet vi!
  • FlamingoSimmerFlamingoSimmer Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi there! I'm new to these forums, but I've been playing The Sims FreePlay for almost 2 years now. I know it isn't the greatest, but I'm also a big fan of The Sims games. If I'm being honest, I joined this community for updates and to get people's thoughts on The Sims FreePlay & how they think it can be improved. That's it from me! Just wanted to give a little intro here. I also have a YouTube channel where I post builds and just fun ideas for The Sims FreePlay. >> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4obeCKlvMkjRrzX4qLSxTA
    Thanks! Lots of love💗
    Hi there! I'm new to these forums, but I've been playing The Sims FreePlay for almost 2 years now. I know it isn't the greatest, but I'm also a big fan of The Sims games. If I'm being honest, I joined this community for updates and to get people's thoughts on The Sims FreePlay & how they think it can be improved. That's it from me! Just wanted to give a little intro here. I also have a YouTube channel where I post builds and just fun ideas for The Sims FreePlay. >> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4obeCKlvMkjRrzX4qLSxTA
    Thanks! Lots of love💗

Hi ! Welcome.. its so cool to welcome in some one newer than me ! But the reason for me replying to you is that Freeplay we dont read much about, and i have played it for almost 2 yrs me too, it is actually what brought me back to gaming after a long pause. Now im all about Sims 4 its the only game i play. And its the ultimate best ;) Good day have fun !