Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Negative" Traits

In another thread I've seen that many people don't like to give their sims "negative" traits like evil, self-absorbed, mean etc, but I personally think those sims are hella fun. I just noticed that with my main family. The mother is like the nicest person in the whole family, having the good and outgoing traits. The father on the other hand has the evil trait and usually strolls through the neighborhood with his simray and book of chaos to prank everyone he meets and befriending the Grim Reaper while at it. The twin daughters are also really different, with one having the active, romantic and materialistic traits, while her sister is unflirty, hates children and a music lover. I can confidently say that the father and twin 2 are much more fun to play than the goody two shoes mother and twin 1. I just find it really amusing when the father laughs while bad things happen to other sims, or twin 2 instantly becomes angry or uncomfortable when children are just nearby or someone flirts in her direct vicinity. In another family, I also have a sim who is mean and self-absorbed, and it's just fun how she's constantly fishing for compliments and is always so mean to others for whatever reason. It just helps forming their characters so much.

However, it seems like I am in a minority with that. In the "traits you avoid" thread, many people were saying that they avoid negative traits, and I don't really understand why. I've played a huge amount of "good" and "bad" sims, and I undoubtedly prefer to play the latter because they seem to be much more unpredictable, but maybe that's the reason why people don't like them?

Do any of you also like to play sims with negative traits? I'd also love to hear some funny stories as to what your sims have done in your games (maybe I can even get some inspiration for more shenanigans :D).
Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff

Comments

• DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited March 2020
    Yeah can't part ways with the hot-headed trait, really. the 'rile-up' dialogue is too fun to pass on. Best used when two sims talk together, inviting oneself in the conversation, farting on the hothead sim, and exiting the conversation. My sim's 🐸🐸🐸🐸 has destroyed families like that o:)

Also, they're the only sims that can 'Enrage' a sim by themselves.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    The only trait I avoid and will change if I start playing a sim who already has it is the kleptomaniac trait. The ironic thing is that I absolutely loved playing with this trait back in Sims 3, but find it extremely annoying in Sims 4. I can't even tell you the number of times in the past that other sims (that I was not playing) would make things vanish that belonged to my playable sims. Other than that I don't have any issues with any of the negative traits in the game.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Dijktafone wrote: »
    Yeah can't part ways with the hot-headed trait, really. the 'rile-up' dialogue is too fun to pass on. Best used when two sims talk together, inviting oneself in the conversation, farting on the hothead sim, and exiting the conversation. My sim's 🌺🌺🌺🌺 has destroyed families like that o:)

Also, they're the only sims that can 'Enrage' a sim by themselves.

I totally forgot about the hot-headed trait and its interactions! I had a hot-headed sim once and the only difference I've noticed is that they often got angry out of nowhere :D
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    The only trait I avoid and will change if I start playing a sim who already has it is the kleptomaniac trait. The ironic thing is that I absolutely loved playing with this trait back in Sims 3, but find it extremely annoying in Sims 4. I can't even tell you the number of times in the past that other sims (that I was not playing) would make things vanish that belonged to my playable sims. Other than that I don't have any issues with any of the negative traits in the game.

Oh yes, I avoid the kleptomaniac trait with unplayed sims as well. My sim befriended Lillith Pleasant and I thought about inviting her to his gang, but am kinda hesitant now that I've learned that she is a klepto :D I still like to have it on my played sims though

I like to build stuff
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I play sims with the evil trait nearly half the time I play. I do really get a kick out of them getting so happy when other sims have any uncomfortable moodlets around them. When you are reigning fire down on other sims or just watching it happen on the sidelines that bwahaha means something to me. I think it's because a lot of my favorite characters in stories/books/movies are evil and no one knows it. I usually only add mean if I'm going to have them be more noticeably evil/bad. If I want someone more stereotypically or outwardly bad I give them evil, mean and hotheaded.. I don't play them as often as just evil sims but it's still fun from time to time.
    I don't really use most of the other negative traits like jealous or kleptomaniac... I've tried them and klepto was pretty fun when I wanted to see how much they could steal but then I didn't really want to play with it again. Jealousy is just a pain in the bottom to me.
    egTcBMc.png
  • FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    I like the negative traits, too. I try to give every one of my sims at least one. I have even downloaded modded traits to have more options.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,453 Member
    I love negative traits - especially the hot-headed and insane traits.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    edited April 2020
    When it comes to negative traits on face-value, I played with Insane\Erratic a lot and I always have Gloomy trait.

However, there are many traits that are EXTREMELY negative
    if you look close enough. Friendly, Flirty, Good etc.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I play with evil, mean, erratic, gloomy and klepto alot. Currently playing a 'hates children' sim because I'm tired of having happy families and am building up to a not so happy one.
    CelSims wrote: »
    I play with evil, mean, erratic, gloomy and klepto alot. Currently playing a 'hates children' sim because I'm tired of having happy families and am building up to a not so happy one.

Hates children sims are fun (and relatable to me :D ). My sim with the trait has a club with being mean to children as one of their activities :D

I like to build stuff
  • MrSunshineMrSunshine Posts: 99 Member
    I choose traits based on the mercy of random button. So far, I have played kleptomaniac, lazy, evil, and hot-headed. They are, indeed, quite exotic in their own way. I remember an evil musician sim who played violin besides her husband who had a fight with another sim. Seeing her feeling very inspired around a big fight is very amusing 😆
  • Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    I guess I try to make the perfect house and have my sims live perfect lives that makes me want to avoid or at least severely limit "negative" traits that could possibly upset or compromise the work and time I put into playing the game. Managing a sim's needs can be enough of a hassle without them also failing at social interactions because they are loners, unflirty, noncommittal, or hate children. Maybe I should look into the fun aspects of "negative" traits more rather than avoid them because they could negatively impact my play-style.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I also love the negative traits. I think Evil and Squeamish are two of my most used favorites, but I use most of the others quite liberally as well. I just wish Evil was a little more...you know...evil.
    #Team Occult
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I like to create a variety of characters and stories, so I wouldn't say that there are any traits I would completely avoid using for my sims. I actually love many of the less popular traits, esp. Evil, Dance Machine, Squeamish, Erratic, Jealous, and Gloomy.
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    My favorite negative traits are squeamish and paranoid. I usually just randomize my sim's traits because it keeps them more interesting by combining traits I wouldn't personally combine. How does a hot-headed, book loving, active sim interact with her lazy, cheerful, jealous sister? It makes me be more creative with my storylines.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    I love negative traits. I usually randomize them and I don't always get negative ones, but I prefer at least one of the traits to be negative. I have a sim who is evil, hot headed and a glutton and she's a fun character to play.
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    Evil and cheerful is hilarious combination. Evil-doings delivered with a smile. I love the 'bad' traits myself and I do use them except, like @LaBlue0314, I nuke the kleptomaniac trait like it was a hoard of wasps chasing me. Everywhere I come across it it gets edited out of existence but I do trade it with a 'bad' trait to even things out.

That being said I have had some humorous (for me) reactions to those bad traits when I was first starting to play Sims 4. But first I have to mention that the very first Sim I created and is a founder of my main saved game, so to speak has both the clumsy and the now named erratic trait, she is also family oriented. I chose the erratic trait because her story is that she has had and does have mental problems and the clumsy trait because, well, she is clumsy :wink: Another Sim that is my favorite has the hot-headed trait and I love it. It suits him to the tee. I really don't consider those 3 traits along with f.i. squeamish, vegetarian, non-committing as a bad trait.

Now, the first time I encountered the hates children trait was in the maid that was first hired by my founder Sim. After one Get to Know, my Sim's hubby found out that she had that trait and I was so startled that the poor lady got the sack on the spot and out on her rear in two shakes of a tail. She didn't even get to finish her choirs. Which is why my game has now 2 maids (well 3rd popped up when Sulani appeared). I also didn't have one Sim get a job because she has the lazy trait and I did stay away from both mean and evil Sims until I decided that one evil Sim would be a perfect spouse for Salim Benali and when the Roomies' new roomie started eating out the trashcans my eyebrows got a bit of an exercise. Now this was before I realised that traits don't really matter and have a negligent impact on Sims lives and personalities. Personally I wish it did have more impact but I do like all traits as it gives me more variety, personality wise.

Oh and a little factoid, the maid with the hates children trait has also the evil trait and non-commitment trait. The poor lady. I really have to add her to my rotation one of these days.

There are traits that I somewhat avoid when giving Sims (either in CAS or when they are growing up) new traits, like unflirty and jealousy, although it was interesting when a newly baked father became jealous when his baby mama payed more attention to the toddler than him and threw a tantrum. I see some interesting story for them in the future. But jealousy can be a pain for the tenseness and the unflirty is challenging when trying to court Sims with that trait. I do just treat Sims with the unflirty trait as asexual and leave them be. Like Raj Rasoya.

But if I encounter them in Sims like pre-mades, NPCs or homeless townies I leave them be even if they become part of a rotational household and I don't let that stop me. If I like a Sim that has those traits they get added regardless.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I also love the negative traits. I think Evil and Squeamish are two of my most used favorites, but I use most of the others quite liberally as well. I just wish Evil was a little more...you know...evil.

Agreed. I have a sim with the evil, argumentative and insensitive traits and, if I don't force them, the sim just behaves nicely. Creating a club for evil sims and giving them the infamous club perk is the best way.

Evil sims are 99% of the time nice.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don't like negative traits when they interfere with my sims relationships but any that don't do that I'm fine with. Constantly having to repair the damage brought forth by the evil trait for instance I find it incredibly annoying after a while.
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    I use Self Absorbed more often than I'd care to admit.

Mean I don't use, Gloomy gets some occasional use, Hot-Headed I use sometimes too.

I won't use negative traits every time, but they do add some flavour to my townies for sure. I'd love to see more negative traits added.

Technophobe, from TS3, was a favourite of mine for elders. It really perfectly replicated my mother calling me to ask "how do you copy and paste" or "how do you change the settings on my phone which is a totally different model to your phone". Elders in TS4 are too good with modern technology. I'd like to see the ability to make them struggle a little.
    wJbomAo.png
    About the evil trait: I feel like it isn't really meant to portray "truly evil" sims and it's supposed to work more like a parody of supervillains (with the evil laugh and all that). If you want a more serious version of the trait, use mean, maybe in combination with evil.

Can we also just appreciate how the romantic interactions have different names for unflirty sims? Like instead of "ask risque question" it's "ask totally inappropriate question", which kinda made me chuckle a little. It's a trait I really use for the first time now, because I only use it on sims I imagine to be aromantic or aro-ace. I also like that objects with a flirty aura don't have any effect on them.

I like to build stuff
  • mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    I played with a sim once who was evil and romantic (I forgot his what his third trait was) and had a lot of fun. He was in the criminal career which I had never played, and I switched him back and forth between the Public Enemy and Serial Romantic aspirations. It was fun causing a bunch of chaos, starting fights, and having him cheat on his wife with several different women, because I usually just play happy families.

I use other negative traits sometimes, like unflirty (although I don't really see that to be negative), squeamish, and hot-headed. The only ones I avoid are jealous, hates children, and kleptomaniac. Jealous and klepto are just annoying because of how often they get tense, and I avoid hates children because I'm a family player.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I don't agree with the thought that evil trait has to be mean at all. To me truly evil people can manipulate and cause chaos.. and really not care about most people or what their actions bring about... and they can smile while doing it. I like that we have a mean trait... because I've known people that are just darn mean but I don't necessarily think of them as evil, usually I think of them as doing what they do because of some sort of misdirected anger or insecurity or even learned behavior. Now I'm not saying the game traits couldn't be tweaked but I'd be very put out if all my evil sims were suddenly mean and unable to be nice on the surface so I'm way more satisfied with the evil trait as is then if they added mean actions I couldn't control to it. To me that's the stereotype.
    egTcBMc.png
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Your sim doesn't have to be mean to be genuinely evil.

Never forget that it's not only about what trait you have, it's also about what others have.
    Case in point - Bella goth has flirty trait and thus she has no issue making her spouse jealous and see nothing wrong with it. In my current game, she cheated on Mortimer, divorced him, remarried, cheated on that guy and got divorced again (praise MCCC).
    All because she is a flirt, all because it's way easier to get her to bed (praise certain adult-only mods). I know - mods, but still.

Evil trait makes sims cartoonish. Caricature, a parody IMHO.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • RonDeScriptRonDeScript Posts: 9 New Member
    Recently I have been playing a random couple I made using the genetics options in Create a Sim. Peter wound up with the Hotheaded trait, and Ingrid is both Mean and Erratic. My backstory for them is that they didn't know each other well, but hooked up and accidentally made a baby. They then became roommates, raising their child together. Their relationship has been a bit rocky, but it makes me more invested in their story. I will definitely pick more negative traits for my Sims in the future!
  • CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.