Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So, about those low comfort beds...this patch rocks!

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    this is super cool, but why wouldn't they list these changes in the patch notes? that irks me
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I guess this wasn't mentioned in the patch notes. I hope this works on toddler beds. They need something like this more than the other ones.

Actually, I think they've got the toddler beds just right in S4 - in previous games, I always had to put them down for a nap, and then they'd be up at 0:darkthirty. The beds in S4 keep them on a consistent schedule, so long as I start pre-bed (potty and food) before they're exhausted.

In any case, I'm thrilled about this update - so many beds I can't use because they have terrible sleep ratings. I'm curious to see how much they upgrade - can you upgrade a 3 to a10? Or do you only get an increase based on the starting bed? (A 3 upgrades to a 4 or a 5, depending on whether you do the massage or firm mattress upgrade, whereas a 7 to an 8 or 9.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    I started a new game with a newly made sim. I was able to put the books on top of the small refrigerator from DU.

I'm loving the smaller rooms I can now make and being able to use the cheapest double bed. I can now make a starter lot and have money left over to buy books and make paintings with.

That's a great idea. I was thinking about how to use the DU fridge when I start my tiny build.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

I'm so happy about that. I hate needing to buy those bulky TV stands in my smaller houses.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2020

I honestly still can't believe they actually patched this.....I never believed they were actually going to implement bed upgrades, even though we've been asking for this for ages...but they did! And in a patch! This patch added some very nice little quality of life things that I really wanted in TS4.

The option to put TV's on accent tables is also another thing I've wanted since the game came out. I can finally use the well designed accent tables to put the TV and console on the sim's living rooms...no more am I confined to the same three TV tables.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    alyssa123 wrote: »
    this is super cool, but why wouldn't they list these changes in the patch notes? that irks me

Same here! If it weren't for reddit I wouldn't even know about this since these additions weren't in the patch notes.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    alyssa123 wrote: »

Same here! If it weren't for reddit I wouldn't even know about this since these additions weren't in the patch notes.

What other updates does Reddit mention that the patch notes doesn't? Does anyone have a link?
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @Sigzy05 why would you only use the same 3 tables to put the tv on? You do know we've always been able to use all coffee tables? And, I think, kitchen counters.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    @Sigzy05 why would you only use the same 3 tables to put the tv on? You do know we've always been able to use all coffee tables? And, I think, kitchen counters.

Here's thing, to me, coffee tables often look weird when you put a TV on them since they are too low. Plus I don't want to use the same coffee table for the TV and the actual coffee table, but then nothing will match. And end tables could only be used for the smaller TV's.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    This is a nice unexpected surprise.
    CaprianaB wrote: »
    Yay! Great news!
    Omg😱😱😱😱😱😱 they are on a roll lol
    ernesdo wrote: »
    This is the (second) best surprise ever!!! Right behind toddler update <3

Guys...

Oh, finally! I've been wanting that for ages. :D
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I guess this wasn't mentioned in the patch notes. I hope this works on toddler beds. They need something like this more than the other ones.

Actually, I think they've got the toddler beds just right in S4 - in previous games, I always had to put them down for a nap, and then they'd be up at 0:darkthirty. The beds in S4 keep them on a consistent schedule, so long as I start pre-bed (potty and food) before they're exhausted.

In any case, I'm thrilled about this update - so many beds I can't use because they have terrible sleep ratings. I'm curious to see how much they upgrade - can you upgrade a 3 to a10? Or do you only get an increase based on the starting bed? (A 3 upgrades to a 4 or a 5, depending on whether you do the massage or firm mattress upgrade, whereas a 7 to an 8 or 9.)

I don't know, after upgrading it doesn't say there's an increase in build mode so it's hard to tell exactly what it went up to, but a bed that was being slept in that used to fill up energy at speed one, was able to fill energy at speed 3 after I upgraded, so whatever it went up to, it worked lol. I didn't think to test it after just one of the upgrades instead of both, so I'm guessing it'd be speed 2 if I just did one? I should try again haha.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Awesome! I love surprises!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member

I don't know, after upgrading it doesn't say there's an increase in build mode so it's hard to tell exactly what it went up to, but a bed that was being slept in that used to fill up energy at speed one, was able to fill energy at speed 3 after I upgraded, so whatever it went up to, it worked lol. I didn't think to test it after just one of the upgrades instead of both, so I'm guessing it'd be speed 2 if I just did one? I should try again haha.

Pretty sure the text in the description isn't dynamic so it probably won't update in BB.
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • Options

I tested it yesterday with a single bed that had a '4'. I did both upgrades - the text states that it's the massage upgrade that fills the energy bar faster. In any case, I put my Sim to bed at her usual time, and she needed the same amount of sleep she needed in the double bed from DU (which is a 9 or 10). She might have been fully rested a bit earlier, actually. I only did the one test, so it might not be conclusive, but it appears that upgrades take any bed to a '10'.

More testing needed. I might make that a project for the afternoon.

The toddler bed did not have upgrade options. (Sorry @ListentoToppDogg )

I'm wondering if beds can now break?
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I like this update as well, it opens up a lot more flexibility even if a home isn't tiny.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    Yes! Some of the builds I make or download have distinct themes but the beds were so horrible for my sims' energy.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I like this update as well, it opens up a lot more flexibility even if a home isn't tiny.

Yes. Like now I don’t have to take up floor space when I want to have a bookcase in a bedroom or small office. I can just put one of those bookend objects on a dresser or desk.
    ashcrash19 wrote: »
    Yes! Some of the builds I make or download have distinct themes but the beds were so horrible for my sims' energy.

Same. It was hard to find a decent bed for modern builds, and the Princess Cordellia bed is super expensive.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited January 2020

@invisiblgirl I fully expected it to be the case, so I'm not at all shocked.
    dd5d12bc4164a2c709c9e9737d13cd9e.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2020

I tested it yesterday with a single bed that had a '4'. I did both upgrades - the text states that it's the massage upgrade that fills the energy bar faster. In any case, I put my Sim to bed at her usual time, and she needed the same amount of sleep she needed in the double bed from DU (which is a 9 or 10). She might have been fully rested a bit earlier, actually. I only did the one test, so it might not be conclusive, but it appears that upgrades take any bed to a '10'.

More testing needed. I might make that a project for the afternoon.

I'm wondering if beds can now break?

Okay, further testing. Twin sisters with the same attributes and same schedule. The red sister slept at the same rate on the Gordian Cot (the cheapest bed) as the blue sister on the Cordelia single bed after the massage update. She did not have an 'uncomfortable bed' moodlet the next morning. So, we can definitely conclude that massage takes any bed to a '10' in sleep speed.

The blue sister slept on the Gordian with both upgrades the next night, and woke up with an 'uncomfortable bed' moodlet. The red sister, whose Gordian bed did not have both upgrades, did not have the moodlet, which makes me think it's a little buggy. (I didn't have this issue with the fully upgraded single bed from the magic pack, but I don't think it's as uncomfortable as the Gordian bed.)

After yoga, the 'uncomfortable bed' moodlet changed into a moodlet for a good sleep on an upgraded firm mattress. I'm not sure if yoga was responsible or if there was a minor glitch there. In any case, you would expect the Sim sleeping on the bed with only the massage upgrade to have issues. (I thought I'd put the twins to bed in the wrong beds.) Will test again today.

Also, I think they broke the bookcases again - Sims are once again sitting down and placing books on tables and desks instead of putting them away in the bookshelf. Not sure if this is only an issue with the bookend patch or all bookcases. I'll see if they're doing it with a regular bookshelf this afternoon.

(Edit) Okay, last update. It's only the bookend bookshelves that have the issue with Sims sitting down at the kitchen table and setting the book down instead of putting it away when they finish reading, and the bookends also have Sims wanting to read at tables instead of comfy chairs (even if you tell them to sit in a comfy chair right next to the bookend - they first try to sit at the kitchen table and then move). Regular bookshelves function as they have since they patched this 'bug', which is to say that Sims sit in the nearest chair and put their books away when they stop reading.

Beds: I sent the red Sim to bed in a totally un-upgraded Gordian Cot and the blue Sim to bed in the fully upgraded cot. The red Sim slept something like 12 hours (as expected) but did not wake up with an 'uncomfortable bed' moodlet. (Neither twin has the 'loves the outdoors' trait or anything that might cause that - both have 'genius', 'book-lover' and 'loner' and are working on the geek aspiration.)

The blue Sim woke up with a moodlet for a good sleep on an upgraded firm mattress, so the 'uncomfortable bed' moodlet was probably a momentary glitch. (IIRC, the 'uncomfortable bed' moodlet is somewhat random - Sims don't always wake with it after a night on a bad bed.)
    Post edited by invisiblgirl on
  • Options
    Tan80Tan80 Posts: 72 Member
    They need to do the same upgrade comfort on sofas.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited January 2020
    Tan80 wrote: »
    They need to do the same upgrade comfort on sofas.

True. At least on chairs all they get is an uncomfortable moodlet.