Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

DISCOVER UNIVERSITY: ULTIMATE STUDENT CHALLENGE - DAY 11 - UPDATED FEB, 4

SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,627 Member
Happy New Year Simmers! I am taking a break from my two current stories to try a little challenge with the new #DiscoverUniversity pack. Follow along and see how my sim does. Thanks :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

discover-uni-box-art.png

A new year, a new challenge! Since Father Winter decided that I was a good simmer this year, he gifted me Discover University for Simsmas. And so, to try out this new pack, I have decided to undertake The Ultimate Student Challenge (created by Havana Sims). The rules are:
  • Enroll your sim in 4 classes
  • Must get straight A's
  • Have a part-time job
  • Live on campus
  • Join an organization

Sounds pretty simple, right? Well, to torture my poor sim, even more, I will be creating a brand new randomly-generated unskilled sim in CAS, randomizing their traits-with at least one negative trait, and plopping them on an empty piece of land. They will also have...wait for it...zero simoleons to start. Ugh! Can I make it even harder for them?

Applying to uni costs $75 simoleons and can be done from the home lot mailbox or a computer. Sims can also apply for scholarships. Applying to uni with little or no skills will probably not net them a distinguished degree. The acceptance letter takes 1 - 2 sim days to arrive.

Can they do it?

Meet The Challenger:

BLUTARFSKY.png

Hailee Blutarsky

Aspiration: Academic

Traits: Slob, Self-Assured, Music Lover Bonus: Quick Learner

Background:

Hailee is the daughter of Mandy Pepperidge and John "Bluto" Blutarsky. Senator Blutarsky credits all his success to his years at Faber College in Delta Tau Chi Fraternity House. It was at Faber College where he met his lovely wife, Mandy, who was a member of Tri Pi Sorority House.

Of course, since then, John and Mandy have taken up residence elsewhere, and Hailee lives on her own in Newcrest. She now has a chance to attend one of two schools. The prestigious University of Britechester, with a strong focus on the arts and humanities or Foxbury Institute with programs geared toward science and technology. With simoleons no object, John and Mandy are willing to pay for tuition; however, Hailee is determined to make it on her own and refuses any financial assistance from her parents. Hailee hopes she can have the same rewarding experience her parents had when they went to university. Um...are toga parties still a thing?

Author's Notes:

Mandy Pepperidge and John "Bluto" Blutarsky are characters in the 1978 movie, Animal House.

Link to Wordpress Site HERE.
Post edited by SoulGal7 on

Comments

• SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,627 Member
    edited January 2020
    Hi Simmers! Day 1 is up. Let's just say that living as a homeless, broke wanna-be uni student is a challenge itself. Let's see how Hailee manages. Enjoy! Suggestions and comments are always appreciated :)

writing-a-childrens-book.png

Discover University: Ultimate Student Challenge - Day 1
    Good morning simmers! Day 2 is up. Hailee has traveled to San Myshuno and waits for word on her uni and scholarship letters. Will she get in? Will she get any scholarships? Read more to find out! Enjoy! Comments and suggestions are always welcome. :)

i-may-have-worked-her-too-hard.png

Discover University: Ultimate Student Challenge - Day 2
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited January 2020
    Oh, I am loving this! So glad you mentioned it in the Bachelor in Paradise thread and I found this thread. It's interesting because I almost did the challenge on my own without even knowing about it. lol Well, except my first student only took 3 classes per term, didn't join an organization or have a part-time job. So I'm sure it was a lot easier for her.

Also, she only lived in the dorms for the first three terms of classes. She'd earned enough by hacking, breeding frogs, collecting plants at festivals, growing a Dragonfruit plant in her dorm room and fishing to build her own little house by the time the last term rolled around.

She started on a Monday in Summer on the Gibbs Hill lot with zero simoleons, but I waited until Wednesday to have her apply and Thurs. to apply for scholarships. She got her acceptance letter and scholarships results on Friday. Because of doing all the hacking, her programming skill level was already quite high. I think that's why she was accepted in the Distinguished program in Computer Science for both Universities! Plus, she got a full ride in scholarships! \o/ She chose Foxbury and the Tidal Towers dorm. Her classes started the following Monday as I'd planned to happen which meant she had the weekend to do homework and build skill levels needed for classes.

Paula was graduated with an A+ GPA across the board with a Distinguished degree in Computer Science and honors on New Year's Eve Eve which meant her graduation ceremony was on New Year's Eve, the last day of Winter. She started the first day of Spring with a new degree, new look, new career and a remodeled house. How perfect is that, eh?! :)

Now, the fly in the ointment during her time at Foxbury was that she didn't have time to do anything else except going to class, homework, term papers, presentations, skilling and try to keep her needs up. It was tough, but she did it and managed to not eat one single bite of all that rich food dormmates kept throwing around. lol She ate cafeteria food sometimes, but mostly harvestables. Get a nice happy boost from that and it's non-fattening. She STILL gained a lot of weight though. I don't know how. o.O Maybe it was all the drinks she had to celebrate her graduation and NYE. I've heard they're full of calories. *shrugs*

Anyway, I'm playing my second student now in the same style, but with a male this time going to Britechester for a Biology degree and purposely didn't let him grind skills or earn a lot of simoleons other than needed to survive and apply for Uni. He didn't get into a distinguished program as a result, but he has still been getting A+ in all his classes. Oh and his terms start and end on Monday/Tuesdays because I messed up and forgot about the Friday thing. Oh well... His beginning was the same lot in Gibbs Hill with 0 simoleons, but it was Sunday instead of Monday in Summer.

He makes his simoleons from fishing and now gardening since he's had his own place for the last two terms. He just started his last term of two classes. Unlike Paula, Carter took 3 classes, twice and then 2 classes thrice. He also moved to student housing, Dark Wing, after his first term. So I tried to do things a bit different with him.

Having only 2 classes for the last three terms gave him a lot of extra time for other activities. Which as it turns out is a good and bad thing. Good because he could have some fun instead of always having his nose to the grindstone. Bad, because, well, he had a one time thing with a girl in the Dark Wing housing the day he left and just found out he's a Daddy. o.O lol I don't know what to do about that yet. He'll decide after graduation. His tiny house won't accommodate a family right now anyway.

That's my Uni experience in a nutshell, lots more happened, of course, but I've already wrote too much in here. lol Bottom line, I'm excited to try this challenge now after Carter graduates. Thanks for posting it! I'm looking forward to reading more about Hailee's experience too. Good luck to her, I don't know how she's going to manage all that. I'll be extremely impressed if she can do it and manage to have some fun too. Go Hailee! :)

P.S. BTW, I don't understand the residence scholarship either. It seems a bit wonky. Paula was turned down for it her first term as a resident of Britechester, but when I had her apply again, she got it. She was living in the dorms at the time. But, Carter got the scholarship right away. It makes no sense.

Happy Simming! <3
    @Karababy52 - How cool that you've already gone through uni twice! It's going to be tough and now I've read that there is some bug about the grades. Well, we'll see what happens when she completes Term 1. I may also have her sign up for another organization, but maybe that's a bad idea. If she doesn't get all A's, it's back to the drawing board. lol I had actually wanted to try a runaway teen goes to uni challenge to get some of those other scholarships, like if you were in scouting, but was too excited to just get started with Discover University. Thanks for reading and commenting!
    edited January 2020
    It's been lots of fun and I've only just begun! So far explored maybe half the activities/objects offered in this pack. I like all the goals to work toward and juggle. Keeps me on my toes. ;)

Hmm, I haven't had any problems with the grades yet. Maybe I've just been lucky? o.O Oh dear... Well, having Hailee belong to two organizations, plus a part-time job, plus four classes would make it extra hard for her in my opinion. But maybe that's what you want, an even bigger challenge? Poor Hailee. lol

Ooo, adding the Runaway Teen challenge to this sounds very interesting! Might give the Sim an extra edge though, make it a bit easier for them? I don't know...

I love the reception hall too. My R2R Sims have used it a few times, but not very often. I like setting limits and banning certain things to make it even tougher for them. :p Gives me a great sense of accomplishment once they start living a better life knowing they worked their pixel butts off for it. :)

Speaking of, concerning having a part-time job. When do they get that? After the required move to campus? Oh, and do you think that includes student housing outside of the dorms?

Can you tell I'm seriously thinking about doing this? :D

EDIT: Almost forgot, was the first day Midnight enrollment your own addition or is that required too? I like to wait until later in the week so they have time to increase skills for scholarships and the weekend to get started on homework. Probably tougher not being able to wait though. lol
    edited January 2020
    @Karababy52 - It didn't say when to get a part-time job. If you get it before you enroll, I think you could be eligible for a workplace scholarship. The midnight deadline was just my idea, as I was just trying to get her some skills and simoleons the first day so she could apply. I just wanted to get her started lol

If I did it again, I would get a part-time job before applying for scholarships, and also wait to apply for scholarships until after you get the uni acceptance letter in case you get a distinguished degree and then you can apply for the merit scholarship. Maybe the next one will be with Foxbury.

And as far as the housing, it just says has to live on campus, in other words, no living in Willow Creek and going to Britechester. I think that is what it means. Living somewhere on campus to be totally immersed in the uni experience.
    edited January 2020
    Good morning simmers! Another chapter is up! It's morning and Hailee is ready to enroll in uni. She's excited! Heck, I'm excited! Read on and you'll be excited, too! Comments and suggestions are always available. Enjoy!

wasnt-expecting-this.png

Discover University: Ultimate Student Challenge - Day 3 (AM)
    edited January 2020
    Hello again! Here's my Sim for the challenge!
    Meet Daphne Moon!

uspDY4a.png

And here's her stats including her (very long) background in the spoiler:

Traits: Hot Headed, Vegetarian, Creative
    Aspiration: Painter Extraordinaire

Background:
    Daphne is a bit of an eccentric soul, but really what artist isn't eh? Her favorite colors are purple & teal, hence the reason for the pink/lavendar/purple ombre hair style and a wardrobe featuring teal & purple fashions.

Her Mother, Marla Moon, being a HUGE fan of the old TV Sitcom Frasier, named her after a favored character on the show, Daphne Moon, the live-in Physical Therapist/Caregiver of Frasier's father, Martin.

Marla is also an artist, but she prefers pottery and has a studio with a pottery wheel and kiln in the 'She' shed built especially for her located in the backyard beyond their in-ground swimming pool.

As a toddler/child, Daphne liked to sit on a stool next to the wheel designated especially for her and watch Marla create. She was in awe of what could emerge with just a little coaxing from her Mother's strong, talented hands out of nothing but clay & water. The youngster was especially enamored with the designs she would paint on them after they'd been fired in the kiln.

It frustrated Daphne that her own pottery efforts always turned out lopsided and ugly in comparison. Even with patient instructions from Mom, it was no use. Often in a fit of rage, she'd pound the clay with her tiny fists or throw it to the floor. However, sometimes she'd allow some of the lesser deformed pots to be fired and paint them anyway.

The act of painting always seemed to calm her down when she was angry or stressed and she showed a natural talent for it. According to her Mother anyway. Sometimes despite their deformity, customers visiting the tiny shop Marla had at the front of the shed would ask about the beautiful pots in the back and offer to purchase them because of their unique designs. Marla always politely refused to sell them.

Her Father, Maurice Moon, is a retired Astronaut. He flew several missions orbiting the Moon, but to his disappointment never actually made it there. This fact would later play a part in tearing the family apart. Daphne had shown an interest in Space from a young age. She loved listening to her Dad talk about his life as an Astronaut and looked up to him in admiration as a Hero.

She'd spend hours pouring over his old mission logs, sift through photographs and watch videos he'd taken in space. Best of all, on clear starry nights, she and her Dad would gaze through the telescope he'd given her as a 10th birthday gift and dream together. Dream of one day Daphne accomplishing the one thing he never did, landing and walking on the Moon.

As she grew, Daphne split her time developing both of these interests in her life. She attended Junior Astronauts Camp, graduated from painting pots to canvases in the shed and went to Fine Arts camp during Summer breaks from school.

After High School graduation, Daphne couldn't decide which path to follow in life. Should she try to be an astronaut like her Father wanted, or did she want to refine and hone her painting skills to one day become a renowned artist admired for her masterful creative visionary skills?

Several days of talking to and listening to her parents argue with each other about it, wasn't helping at all. Early one Sunday morning on the first official day of Summer, after a particularly heated argument escalating into angry shouting, Maurice announced he would not fund a 'silly' education in the Arts. While he loved Marla's creations, it wasn't a smart idea to base your financial future on a 'hobby.'

If Daphne pursued a career as an astronaut, she had his blessing, otherwise she was to move out and good luck finding a job as a painter. She'd be cut off with nothing.

What he didn't count on was the fact the apple didn't fall far from the tree. His daughter was just as hot headed and strong willed as he. Red-faced and hands squeezed into tight-fisted balls of fury, Daphne stomped away to her room without another word, gathered whatever she could throw in a backpack and left, slamming the door behind her.

Maurice stubbornly sat in the living room with crossed arms and clenched teeth refusing to go after her, he'd made his decision. Marla stood and called him a foolish, prideful old man before running to try and catch Daphne before she was out of sight.

Marla told her that Dad would calm down, realize his ultimatum wasn't fair and change his mind. They were all just tired and on edge from so many late nights arguing. Maybe she should just spend the night with a friend and come back in the morning? Daphne just shook her head no, she was determined to leave. She whole-heartedly believed her Father wouldn't change his mind.

Marla tried to give her simoleons earned from the pottery shed shop, but Daphne's pride wouldn't allow her to take it. In her mind and by the laws of their state, she was an 'adult' now and she needed to act like one. She hugged her Mom and promised when asked to keep in touch, let her...them know she was okay before finally walking away.

She didn't know where she was going or what she was going to do, but she'd show her Father she could make it on her own and be successful too, without his simoleons!

This is where the rest of Daphne's story begins...

If you'd rather just skip that and get to my try at the challenge, here's a link to it on Imgur:

TS4 Ultimate Discover University Challenge - Daphne Moon

Thanks for checking it out and Happy Simming! <3
    @Karababy52 - totally awesome backstory, as usual, and just love, love, Daphne Moon!
    Good evening simmers! Another chapter in the uni life of Hailee. Today she is thinking about joining an organization. Let's see which one she picks! Comments and suggestions are always appreciated! Enjoy

Discover University: Ultimate Student Challenge - Day 3 (PM)

one-of-the-art-members-comes-out-to-greet-her.png
    edited January 2020
    Good Morning everyone! I'm back with the rest of Daphne's first term week, and a bit beyond. But first, here's a little something I saw happening in the dorms when I was panning around while Daphne slept. This shows one very good reason why I always keep my students dorm room doors locked.

n6glVhl.png

Poor girl, she looks about ready to pass out from lack of sleep. o.O

And here's the next part of Daphne's story. I hope you like it! <3

TS4 Ultimate Discover University Challenge - Daphne Moon: End of First Term
    Post edited by Karababy52 on
    @Karababy52 - Just had a chance to read both Imgur posts. OMG! She is doing so well. You are ahead of me now. I love that screenie of the violin players...too funny!

Another chapter is up! It's the start of term and Hailee goes to her first class. I wonder how she'll do. Read on and find out. Comments and suggestions are always appreciated. Enjoy!

Discover University: Ultimate Student Challenge - Day 4

hailee-is-off-to-her-first-class.png
    @SoulGal7 Thank you so much for reading my posts for Daphne on Imgur! I'm very proud of her! She hasn't really had much of a social life other than interacting with members of the Art Society, and of course her end of term celebration. But, that's okay. She's totally focused on learning. Hopefully she'll have time in later terms to do more fun things.

I felt SO bad for Daphne's fellow Art Society dorm mate when I saw what was going on in her room. One of the violin players must be the Gal's roommate because I saw a note on the floor beside the other bed across the room. I'm guessing she left it there asking her to stop playing and waking her up. lol

Love the new chapter for Hailee and I love how you're taking your time and explaining/showing the different things that pop up for her. That'll help other players who may not have the pack or do but didn't understand what they were about.

I love Laurel Library because of the study spot trait, makes doing homework go a lot faster and it's a good spot to make friends, if you wish. If you just want to study though and not be bothered, I wouldn't go there myself and usually try not to unless my students need to use the Research & Debate machines. Other students and especially the Librarian will constantly try to chat with your student.

In my playthrough, I've put the study spot trait on Drake Hall, the dorm where Daphne lives so she gets that boost when doing homework without having to leave her room. :)

Just a thought about eating the food dorm mates will leave laying around. I put it in a spoiler because this reply is getting a bit long. Opps!
    While they're a great time saver for avoiding a loading screen to get a meal from the cafeteria, I'd be cautious about eating too many of them. They're full of calories and Hailee might end up a lot bigger by the end of her experience at Uni. o.O

Omelets have low or zero calories though if they happen to drop a platter of that dish. I've had Daphne snag a couple servings. But she's been eating mostly harvestables. They're zero calories, she gets a boost in her moodlets for it and a much faster way to fill their hunger. No idle animations between bites, no stopping to chat with someone, etc. Starter packets cost 35 simoleons though, so it's not free. But they will get 2-3 meals out of it. You could send her to harvest them in the wild too, but that takes time. Time is a commodity students can't afford to waste.

Just an FYI in case her weight matters to you/her. :)

Anyway, Hailee's doing great so far and I can't wait to read more! Happy Simming! <3
    @Karababy52 - Thanks for the tips. I had thought about putting the lot trait on Drake Hall or even UBrite Commons, but decided that I was going to play the game as-is for this challenge. Homework takes forever, even with the lot trait. I am hoping that when the weekend comes, she will catch up on all her homework, presentation, term paper and have some time to study and socialize. lol Hey, I'm not expecting much from her! hehehe
    @SoulGal7 You're welcome and I understand. Never thought about putting the lot trait on the Commons, good idea! :) Yeah, I thought about doing it without making any changes too. Very admirable of you! But I've sent two students already through Uni. Both times I couldn't stand playing the dorms untouched and had to change some things.

The annoying over-the-top quirks and invasive nature of your dorm mates was driving me batty! lol I was trying to avoid the stress and frustration this time. I guess the way they created the dorms, according to some other Simmers, is somewhat realistic, never stayed in a dorm so I wouldn't know. And glad I never have if it is true! o.O lol

I'm having so much fun playing this challenge with Daphne, I know I'll be trying it again though. Next time I might try doing it without making any changes. God help me! :s

Good luck to Hailee this weekend, sounds like she'll be very busy trying to do all that AND go to work. Have fun! :)
    Here's the third Chapter which includes Daphne's weekend and Second Term. I love this screenshot of the Britechester campus in Autumn, just gorgeous!

piI7fJs.png

TS4 Ultimate Discover University Challenge - Daphne Moon: Weekend & Second Term
    @Karababy52 -Absolutely gorgeous pic of the campus. So beautiful!
    edited January 2020
    Hi simmers! Another chapter in the life of uni student, Hailee. The second day of classes and she checks out some more organizations. A very busy day! Comments and suggestions are always appreciated. Enjoy!

Discover University: Ultimate Student Challenge - Day 5

playing-a-game-of-juice-pong-with-the-debate-team.png
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Here's the third Chapter which includes Daphne's weekend and Second Term. I love this screenshot of the Britechester campus in Autumn, just gorgeous!

piI7fJs.png

TS4 Ultimate Discover University Challenge - Daphne Moon: Weekend & Second Term

Poor Daphne during that chapter. I think she is mad at you for making her work so hard. But it was worth it. You are just whipping through this challenge! Great job!
    Thank you @SoulGal7 :) You could very well be right about her anger from working too hard. Opps! I can't stop now though, not with the finish line in sight. Thinking about throwing a big house warming party once she graduates and moves in to her own house. She can take it easy for awhile afterwards too before jumping into the job market. Perhaps head to Sulani for a well deserved vacation and have a tropical romance... or two. lol

Have you heard if there is any time limit with getting a job related to your degree after graduation? They don't lose that ability to get it after awhile do they? I'm guessing it'll just always be there for her and she could even get a job completely unrelated if she felt like it and then maybe later go for the degree job/s.

Anyway, glad I saw this, I was just headed offline to play her last term. Haven't opened my game for a couple days and I miss it!
  • darkchadmeisterdarkchadmeister Posts: 62 Member
    I think this is the start of an excellent challenge. I would take the challenge even a step further and add some harder requirements like not taking student loans, completing the Academic Aspiration at the time of graduation and needing to max out your student organization rank. Hmm that gives me an idea...
    edited January 2020
    Hi Simmers! A new chapter is up for the #UltimateStudentChallenge. It's Friday, the last day of classes before the weekend. Hailee checks out the UBrite Spirit Corps and meets some more...er...university residents. Comments and suggestions are always appreciated. Enjoy!

Discover University: Ultimate Student Challenge Sims 4 - Day 6

was-hailee-seeing-things.png
    Another fun chapter! :)
    Hailee is certainly immersing herself in the entire Uni experience eh? Good for her! That keg stand looked epic, very cool! Should have Daphne try that at least once. Or definitely at her aftergrad party otherwise. ;) But...

3!? 3 organizations!? Holy Simoly! She's really going all out, challenging herself. Go Hailee! Very cool she got to see the founder's ghost. Even if she didn't think she saw anything. You're not delusional Hailee, he's real! o.O Congrats to her for winning the debate without any experience, that's amazing! Did she get any simoleans?

During James Turner's LP, his student got something like 700 simoleans! That was during an event though in the quad area by the statue. Anyway, good luck to her and...

Here's my next chapter for Daphne Moon with perhaps her Final Term. Could this be the end of the challenge for us?

UzEx1KX.png

Happy Simming! <3
    @Karababy52 - I will have to read this later, but what a fantastic pic!
    @SoulGal7 Okay, no worries. I'm headed to bed anyway in a few minutes and Thank you! :) Daphne just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Couldn't have worked out more perfectly if I'd actually tried to plan ahead for it myself. Have a great day! <3