Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is going on with failing classes?

Comments

• Options
    SimQARoboSimQARobo Posts: 248 SimQA
    Hello all.

For anyone encountering a bug with unexpected grades:
    If I don't actively respond here, I'm sorry. I can get a bit busy over at https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/ct-p/the-sims-4-en
  • Options
    AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    edited November 2019
    Pretty please, just give us a little bar or information in % how our Sims doing in the university.

I send to school couple of my full skilled Sims (everything useful, including charisma and "discussion" 10 lvl). I do every homeworks, my Sims was on every classes, all bars full, focused moodlets (I made them special club), they were focused on their classes (make notes, listen carefuly), terms papers and presentation were the best, they even visited their proffesors, asked via phone about their notes and... one guy A, second guy and the girl - B-... Why?
    Yes, I'm perfectionist, I know, but why three Sims, who did exactly the same, had different notes... It's annoying.
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I still don't know how my sim failed baking her elective when she passed all her other classes she did everything and turned in everything.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Did the Sim that failed raise the targeted skill? If the skill was maxed out then I don't know what happened. If there was a term paper did the sim edit to improve it to outstanding?
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    Two of my sims got a C in their electives and A+ in their major courses. They did everything the same for all classes and this happened in two different saves. Would be nice to have an explanation. One sim was low skilled in the elective, the other had a higher skill level. They didn't fail, but I see something wrong here.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    We can pretty easily keep track on homework, presentations and term papers. But if it is required that we build one specific skill in each class/subject, I wish there was a way to at least see what skill it is, in the UI. It shouldn't be needed to keep writing on a piece of paper next to your game. One of my sims picked one elective, the Parenting subject, and it did not truck me that he will need to build parenting skill aside of the extra class work. It says nothing about it in the UI, or did I miss something?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    LDraconisLDraconis Posts: 35 Member
    We can pretty easily keep track on homework, presentations and term papers. But if it is required that we build one specific skill in each class/subject, I wish there was a way to at least see what skill it is, in the UI. It shouldn't be needed to keep writing on a piece of paper next to your game. One of my sims picked one elective, the Parenting subject, and it did not truck me that he will need to build parenting skill aside of the extra class work. It says nothing about it in the UI, or did I miss something?

Each specific course specifies which skill it relates to. Just finished a distinguished physics degree. Early courses covered handiness and robotics respectively, but later, handiness seemed no longer a thing and it was rocket science and robotics. In other words, one skill per course but not necessarily just one skill per degree program.

Also studying seems a poor way to develop skills. It seems like it is set at a much lower learning rate than using a skill book. And the expensive course book seems pretty useless (although frankly, I have been in courses like that in RL.... )
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    LDraconis wrote: »

Each specific course specifies which skill it relates to. Just finished a distinguished physics degree. Early courses covered handiness and robotics respectively, but later, handiness seemed no longer a thing and it was rocket science and robotics. In other words, one skill per course but not necessarily just one skill per degree program.

Also studying seems a poor way to develop skills. It seems like it is set at a much lower learning rate than using a skill book. And the expensive course book seems pretty useless (although frankly, I have been in courses like that in RL.... )

Yepp, my students do read the costy skill book occasionally, but how would I figure that the required skill changes half way through a degree?

Edit: Just opened game, and the required skill is given in the term task list - right in my face :)
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited November 2019
    Maybe you need to reach a specific skill otherwise you will have lower grades? I am not sure how that works.

I am also not sure what the messages mean when they have finished attending class, if I attend the class normally then I get the message that they handed in their homework and focused during the whole class, if I select anything else like listen actively or taking notes then I can get a message that said that others listened more, so I have always just attended classes normally and I have ended up with nothing but A+ so far.

It doesn't help either that I have no idea if doing the homework before an exam helps. I get the same message that they handed in their homework after they have done the exam. It's also super confusing that you have to look at how many days you have left to guess what day the exam is.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Maybe you need to reach a specific skill otherwise you will have lower grades? I am not sure how that works.

I am also not sure what the messages mean when they have finished attending class, if I attend the class normally then I get the message that they handed in their homework and focused during the whole class, if I select anything else like listen actively or taking notes then I can get a message that said that others listened more, so I have always just attended classes normally and I have ended up with nothing but A+ so far.

It doesn't help either that I have no idea if doing the homework before an exam helps. I get the same message that they handed in their homework after they have done the exam. It's also super confusing that you have to look at how many days you have left to guess what day the exam is.

Yes, I think the UI and how they decided to grade the classes (and not show a progress bar or anything), how the days go by and such are confussing and could have been designed much better.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    In the tasks list I focus a lot more on deadlines than on the titles of their subjects. So I'd much prefer the tasks sorted by deadline instead of subject. It would also help a lot if the list is too long to show all subjects. On my screen I can only see first 3 tasks, and I actually missed one exam because I wasn't aware the list was longer for this one sim.
  • Options
    Cabey333Cabey333 Posts: 6 New Member
    I think it is a bug, I had the same problem yesterday. My Sim did his homework, wrote his term paper, did his presentation. Each and every one of them were outstanding quality. He was awarded an A+ for 2 classes and F for the other 2. One of them was an elective so I thought the skill thing might make sense, but the other was a logic class in which he is at level 5, so why would he fail the class?
    It seems to be kind of random, a glitch just like the presentation board given for the wrong class :neutral:
  • Options
    emilyraemeowemilyraemeow Posts: 3 New Member
    I'd like to say I'm having the same problem. Homework and presentations/term papers all done, and I'd still fail classes. I figured out the skill gain thing, but I hope they fix it...or at least make it easier to manage :|
  • Options
    JAYSIMMS2004JAYSIMMS2004 Posts: 31 Member
    My first try i failed too. I find that instead of actually going to the computer and studying for the course. I do something else related to the degree. Like if I'm majoring in Computer Science, I practice programming and other things associated with that. Just make sure to do the homework each day and turn in term papers and presentations the earliest you can. I would also recommend not taking nothing but 2 or 3 classes at a time.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    My first student has just signed up for her third term of three classes. She earned straight A+ for the first six classes. She never studied at all. However, she did work diligently to improve her skill levels required for each class, did her homework immediately after class when possible, edited term papers until outstanding and then turned them in and was always on time or early for class. I also tried to make sure she was focused when going to class, always made sure all needs were in the green or maxed and had her take notes only while in class.

She's working towards a Distinguished degree in Computer Sciences at Foxbury. I believe she was accepted for this program because she's maxed out in Programming from hacking accounts to survive. First term she lived in Tidal Tower dorms, second term she moved out to live in her own tiny house. It's the weekend and her third term starts on Monday. I'm waiting to have her begin writing term papers until she's attended at least one class requiring the term paper. Why? I read in another thread that someone had written and turned in their term papers before any classes even started and were accused of cheating for it. o.O

Other details about my Sim include the fact she doesn't belong to any organizations, attended guest lectures and has raised her Research & Debate skills to Level 6. I wish that Research machine wasn't so expensive, otherwise I'd buy her one to use at home. It's handy for raising skills and they can earn money for sharing knowledge, but I dislike how other Sims constantly pester her while she's using it. Especially this one particular female professor. It's almost as if she's stalking her or something. Maybe she has a crush on my Sim? lol She is kinda cute, hmm...

...nah, best wait until she has her degree in hand and then think about pursuing any kind of romantic or otherwise relationships. She has a BFF already anyway, Angela Pleasant, or I'd consider my Sim befriending her at least. She's also a bit enamored with Cameron Fletcher, but hasn't pushed anything with him as of yet.

Anyway, it's my belief that grades are extremely skewed toward skill levels at the base, but also factors in being on time for class, taking notes and turning in outstanding term papers and presentations. I wouldn't bother buying those expensive study guides or studying at all. My Sim didn't. *shrugs*
  • Options
    imogenlauimogenlau Posts: 1 New Member
    I just got the university pack, and immediately made one of my sims apply for university and all that. she maxed out her painting skill when she was a teen (so its been and is at level 10 for a while now) and I made her do the art history distinguished degree. The only issue is, because she physically cannot increase her painting skill any more, and many of the classes are on the painting skill, she failed her 4th or 5th class ( I can't remember) and is probably going to fail the two she is currently taking. It's so frustrating because she's at level 10 for painting, so failing her painting classes makes no sense whatsoever.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Anyway, it's my belief that grades are extremely skewed toward skill levels at the base, but also factors in being on time for class, taking notes and turning in outstanding term papers and presentations. I wouldn't bother buying those expensive study guides or studying at all. My Sim didn't. *shrugs*
    I can second that. My first university household consists of two sims that I pushed through a pre-university "skillcamp" and the premade Julia Wright. My own sims aced all their four courses (three classes, one elective) with A+ across the board. In contrast Julia started with Charisma and Logic, but no Handyness, Research or Robotics that she needed for her physics major. Despite her putting the same attention to her tasks as my own sims, Julia got put on academic probation with one F, one D- and one A. I knew beforehand that skills matter, but underestimated how much exactly.
  • Options
    imogenlau wrote: »
    I just got the university pack, and immediately made one of my sims apply for university and all that. she maxed out her painting skill when she was a teen (so its been and is at level 10 for a while now) and I made her do the art history distinguished degree. The only issue is, because she physically cannot increase her painting skill any more, and many of the classes are on the painting skill, she failed her 4th or 5th class ( I can't remember) and is probably going to fail the two she is currently taking. It's so frustrating because she's at level 10 for painting, so failing her painting classes makes no sense whatsoever.

Uh oh.. o.O My Sim just started her final three classes before graduation and one of them requires the Programming skill which she has already maxed. If she fails that class for that reason, and it ruins her perfect A+ GPA to this point, I will be extremely disappointed and upset. I'm going to try having her do Programming options (hacking, modding, making games, etc.) for that skill during the week and see if that helps at all. Here's hoping! *crosses fingers & prays*

If it doesn't work, at least I'll know not to send my Super Sim to Uni, he'll fail everything! O.O Sheesh! What a backwards way of basing your Sims success in University. It's like our Sims are being penalized for being, well, smart and experienced. Hmm, although, I guess the point of going to Uni is to learn things you don't already know, but still... *sigh* I mean, the whole reason she was given scholarships to attend and accepted into the Distinguished program for Computer Science is because she had those skills in the first place.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    My Sim failed her Bowling Class because she had already maxed out the BowlingSkill.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    Update! I'm happy to report my Sim was graduated at Foxbury with a Distinguished degree in Computer Science with honors and an A+ GPA! It seems perhaps my plan worked! Paula had maxed the programming skill before she applied. She did that through hacking and side jobs only. One of her last three classes required the programming skill and I was worried as stated above she would fail that class as others have for not being able to improve the skill. I had Paula do more hacking and take a side job so at least she was actually doing some kind of programming and it worked! At least for her. Maybe others could try that method and see if it works for them too? I hope it helps... *crosses fingers*

Oh, and she was actually late once for her first elective class this time because I was wrong about all of them being in the same building. I should've checked instead of assuming. D'oh! All three of her classes were in the same building this time. Being 30 minutes late didn't seem to matter though, thankfully! She also got some Freelancer wall award ribbon thingie too that has a computer on it. I'm assuming she got that for graduating with honors since she's never had any jobs.

Happy Simming! <3
  • Options
    SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,630 Member
    edited December 2019
    Just finished Term 1 with a brand new sim out of CAS. Had very little skills to start. She was accepted into a distinguished Drama program. Enrolled her in 3 classes + 1 elective. A few hours before taking the exam, make an offering (food, flowers, etc.) at the university statue, and then you get focused. For the final hours, I did take her to the Commons where she studied for both exams. Maybe this helped because she got an A+ on both exams. For her presentation, she did one in her dorm, and then asked for feedback and refined it. Then she submitted that. The term paper, again, she wrote it and then edited it and submitted it before the end of term. She kept up with homework. She belongs to the Spirit Club, the Secret Society and is on the soccer team. She's been a busy bee and as far as the aspiration, has not got past level 1. I did have her e-mail the professors a few time after class and once went to office hours, so maybe that helped, too. Swtiched up between take notes and listen attentively while in class. She did enter a debate and got some simoleons for that, which was kind of cool.

Also, I tried to take her to the library with some of her roomies to do homework together.

She has now moved to a different dorm and is about to start Term 2. Her elective is advanced shower singing. So funny. Will keep you posted to see if anything changes in Term 2.

term-1-discover-university.png
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »

What is making you think skill level matters?

I've taken several super sims who already had max everything through uni, they couldn't gain skills. All they did was their homework and hand in excellent papers or presentations. No studying. All passed distinguished with honours.

I also created two brand new sims took away all their money and got them into uni. Despite having no skills except whatever they had used to stay alive for the few days waiting on the uni invite, they both got into distinguished programs. Both did the same as above, go to class, do homework, hand in excellent presentation/paper. Passed with honours.

I don't see how skills has anything to do with it at all from my experience.

• Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    The lack of consistency is confusing and discouraging. Player X does their program a particular way and gets A+, player Z takes the same approach and gets an F. The lack of progress info is the same. In 2 it is clear what skills need working on and to what level at any given time, there is no penalty for already being there or higher, and there is a progress bar so it is immediately obvious where one stands in class progress. Transparancy works wonders.
  • Options
    KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    I had a sim who didn't even go to her final exam and yet she still passed with an A. I thought it would drop lower than that.
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    imogenlau wrote: »

This. If your skill level is high enough to tutor other sims in a subject, then you should certainly not be failing for not having a high enough skill level. :|