Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you decorate for a child's birthday party?

In my game there is currently a birthday party celebrating a baby turning into toddler. But I struggle to decorate the room!

All decor I find is season related, or suits better in a bar for adults. I'm cooking a cake, but I really wish there were more... I added a pile of presents (that gives Christmas vibes, but hey ho). In the past we had party balloons which really was a party decor saver, but I can't find them in the catalog, so I assume someone decided we don't need them. Well I do...! I could fill the living room with toys, but that is not what I'm looking for... I want plain party decor that is not Christmas and not too adult-ish.

How do you decorate at a toddler or child birthday?
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,826 Member
    edited October 2019
    There are a few banners and streamers that came with seasons I usually change the colors up on those. Then I'll add the stack of just three presents. I wish there was some different color tablecloths but I usually use the white one and put out some placemats.

ETA: Since it is a toddler party if you have the toddler stuff pack there is that thing with pillows and balloons
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    There are a few banners and streamers that came with seasons I usually change the colors up on those. Then I'll add the stack of just three presents. I wish there was some different color tablecloths but I usually use the white one and put out some placemats.

ETA: Since it is a toddler party if you have the toddler stuff pack there is that thing with pillows and balloons

Ah, so those balloons are hidden in the toddler pack? I don't have that one. Added some flags on the wall, but I wish there was something a tad more relevant to a toddler's heights and sights :) I used a white table cloth, but wish there was something more :)
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I make a cake. That's it.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    There is also a banner with balloons but you get it as a reward (silver, I think?) for a succesful birthday party.
    I'm like that too :smiley: Might invite some relatives over to eat it.
  • HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    Balloons are still in base game. You can search by the word itself and two wall decorations and a toddler baloon-theme lamp will appear.

Also some people can get really creative with available stuff. So if I want something fancy but my imagination/building talent are lacking I scroll through gallery. Just select rooms and search for "birthday" and there are tones of cute rooms/deco there. Actually I did it right now and there are some really cute ideas/paintings.

But most of the time I just make a cake as well )))
    edited October 2019
    Harukotyan wrote: »
    Balloons are still in base game. You can search by the word itself and two wall decorations and a toddler baloon-theme lamp will appear.

Also some people can get really creative with available stuff. So if I want something fancy but my imagination/building talent are lacking I scroll through gallery. Just select rooms and search for "birthday" and there are tones of cute rooms/deco there. Actually I did it right now and there are some really cute ideas/paintings.

But most of the time I just make a cake as well )))

Thanks, I never thought of checking the gallery! Great idea!

btw: I mostly just bake a cake, too, not even inviting guests over. But this time it felt a bit special so I wanted to decorate :) The baby is now a toddler, so I don't need more tips for this particular birthday, but it would still be interesting reading about how others do it :)
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,826 Member
    I have two birthdays coming up in game. One is a child aging to a teen the other is her brother aging from Teen to Young Adult. The child will have her party at a bowling alley that has a party room. For her brother I am debating between a party at home then going out to a club with friends or a restaurant party. I won't have to do the decorating for either of those. Since I play with only partial walls the decorations were up in their last house for about a Sim year
    ... Since I play with only partial walls the decorations were up in their last house for about a Sim year

LOL, good thing it was not Christmas decor :)
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I put a cake on a table. I put birthday candles on the cake. That's all.

In TS3 I'd color-coordinate the table cloth and balloons with the kid's favorite colors and everything, but it was a huge hassle for 3 minutes of actual gameplay, so I stopped.

Dad's (or Granddad's) Signature Cake is good enough.
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    This was all I did for decorations for a previous birthday party for a baby turning into a toddler. The idea is that the highchair and potty are also gifts.
    bday_presents-e1525855122902.png?w=584
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don't decorate. There isn't any items for kids parties. I barely decorate for holidays either. It's just one sim day and it's a lot of effort for like five minutes of game play. I do buy them a tree at winterfest though if there is room for one.
  • stehlampestehlampe Posts: 20 Member
    I put up some party balloons and a present pile. Then obviously this one birthday banner (dont know where to find it, sorry). Obviously a cake, some music. And i let the family members give small gifts from their inventory for story-purpose (collectibles, mostly MySpace or snowglobes for kids, new toys, an instrument) If i want to give something bigger i put it in the childs room when it is not their and lock the door and then unlock it when it is supposed to be revealed (little bit stupid, but that is the only option i could think of)
    This was all I did for decorations for a previous birthday party for a baby turning into a toddler. The idea is that the highchair and potty are also gifts.
    bday_presents-e1525855122902.png?w=584

Aw, love the idea of potty and highchair being gifts!!! Never thought of that, but gifts could hardly get more relevant!
    stehlampe wrote: »
    I put up some party balloons and a present pile. Then obviously this one birthday banner (dont know where to find it, sorry). Obviously a cake, some music. And i let the family members give small gifts from their inventory for story-purpose (collectibles, mostly MySpace or snowglobes for kids, new toys, an instrument) If i want to give something bigger i put it in the childs room when it is not their and lock the door and then unlock it when it is supposed to be revealed (little bit stupid, but that is the only option i could think of)

Ha! Smart using the kid's room to wrap up the gift :lol:
  • stehlampestehlampe Posts: 20 Member
    edited October 2019
    Sorry, double post!
  • Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member

Just, this. Yeah. A cake lol. With candles to make it special ;P
    You're Breathtaking!
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I do nothing for babies aging up. I just, well... age them up.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I don't :( I used to do that in TS3 though. There were quite nice b-day decorations. I always used to place the balloons at front door from the outside. I miss them in TS4.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    For babies, I just age them up as soon as possible after birth. Toddlers, children and teens get a cake. With candles. And they get to make a wish.
  • mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    I rarely ever have birthday parties for my sims anymore, and when I did I never decorated. Sometimes I'll have them celebrate their birthdays at a restaraunt, though, because that's what I usually do for my birthday irl.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    edited October 2019
    When my sims have birthdays I decorate the dining room with balloons, gifts, cards, and a cake. The invite friends over, open gifts, and eat cake. I sometimes wish that sims kids had party games like pin the tail on the donkey or musical chairs and that teens had spin the bottle or something.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top