Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is so Interesting About a Farming Pack?

Comments

• AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    Vampris wrote: »
    Might be an uproar if people see a sim head into a coop with a knife and come back with a sack of meat.

I would think if they went that route, it would be more like the mod that is out. You "send" the animal away and food comes back into your inventory. If they did that, I would want the raw meat that our Sims would need to cook for different meals though.

What's disturbing to me about that mod is not the concept, but because these animals do not already exist in game, they use dogs. They are household pets instead of livestock. Your Sims can build relationships with these pets and they can do things like lay around on your couch.
    NO. They need to not be "sims" and be more like objects that can be interacted with.

baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • mordarlarmordarlar Posts: 38 Member
    my2pinks wrote: »
    > @AlbaWaterhouse said:
    >
    >
    > There was this board that @SimGuruGraham posted when the community was voting and "deciding" on a stuff pack:
    > (Image)
    >
    > and I basically want EVERYTHING on that list that isn't in the game yet.
    >
    > All this if well done, of course.
    > It is my most wanted theme at the moment and it has been for many many years but I am still sceptical as to how it will look and what will be really included if they do it.

This list would be incredible!

I have been playing Sims since the beginning. I played SimCity in high school and college. I remember seeing the TV commercials for The Sims just after I got married and was enamored with the idea of being able to play "the people" from SimCity. Most of my cities were AG-based rather than industry-based because I have always loved Little House on the Prairie style gameplay, they were my favorite book series growing up. That being said, I have been waiting for a farm-based, off-the-grid, prairie style pack for the Sims for a really long time.

I have certainly enjoyed the packs and expansions that have come out with all 4 of the Sims franchises but Farming is where my heart lays as that is where my interests lay.

I'm also a very early player. I've also been waiting for a long time for this, specifically. I have actually lived off grid and really favor an ag lifestyle so love anything that moves in that direction.
  • LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    You don't butcher animals on your farms, at least not in the UK. And as a veggie I have no desire to eat them anyway. But I want to raise some and do all the other country things.

I long for and dread a country pack because there is so much that could be in it I know most won't be and I will be so disappointed. This is by the uni pack is fine, I don't care about it so there's nothing to get worked up about. We're all different, aren't we, be a dull world if we were all the same :)
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    A "farming" pack would be a completely new EP for the series.
    It would provide different activities and hobbies and a different way of playing the game. It could/should focus more on families and legacies and not only on YA. It will bring an alternative lifestyle to the ubiquitous yuppie/hip young adult that we have so far. It could introduce things like home schooling, real off the grid lifestyle, things to do with all the family members, elders siting on their porch on a rocking chair, new landscapes and large lots, many crops, animals, etc

There was this board that @SimGuruGraham posted when the community was voting and "deciding" on a stuff pack:
    WhiteBoard.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.1455w.jpg
    and I basically want EVERYTHING on that list that isn't in the game yet.

All this if well done, of course.
    It is my most wanted theme at the moment and it has been for many many years but I am still sceptical as to how it will look and what will be really included if they do it.

Uhm... where are the farm animals listed? Several wishes on this board were already added to other packs. List looks good, but I want a few more animals than just chicken.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I can see a Farm pack with lots of crafts etc. I loved spending summers on my grandparents farm - I learned so many things from my very crafty grandparents besides just caring for the gardens and farm animals. I learned all kinds of sewing, knitting, embroidery, canning, cooking, dried fruits, herbalism for meds and salves, - I didn't learn wine or nectar making but that could be part of farming - farm stands - fresh juices and cider making - so many things.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Fallenxroses7Fallenxroses7 Posts: 92 Member
    the reasons I want a farming pack is for horses, new hobbies, raising farm animals and being able to sell crops, eggs, maybe even meat to stores. Also maybe a grocery shop lot type could be added. just more natural living stuff, Island Living did a lot of that but not everybody who lives natural lives on a tropical island. I think a countryside world would be something I want most, a world like Glimmerbrook and Granite falls but bigger and livable (with no fake buildings, I'm fine with the fake buildings for the most part but worlds like granite falls and glimmerbrook where you can really go wild with your imagination so you don't have to make your house match with the world. also the option for barns and maybe sleeping (or WooHooing!) in hay would help rags to riches players a lot. I just want a nice countryside world and horses, that's my main hopes. I'm not too big on family gameplay but it could also add a lot of fun things for family players, kids riding horses, doing chores, stuff like that would be amazing!
  • AnyahsAnyahs Posts: 36 Member
    LMcGE wrote: »
    You don't butcher animals on your farms, at least not in the UK. And as a veggie I have no desire to eat them anyway. But I want to raise some and do all the other country things.

Alot of people butcher their own livestock in the US. We've butchered our own chickens, and my uncles used to buy a hog and butcher them at home before a big 4th of july weekend. And we butcher our own deer in the barn, well we used to before my dad's stroke. The bigger the animal, yeah, some will send them away, especially when they're being butchered in bulk.

I think an option to "get steak/bacon/pork chops/chicken" would be fair, and they just get sent away and put in the mail the next day. Or... many animals have more uses than just food. Like milk, wool, eggs, and for pigs, honestly they can eat spoiled foods and be shown lol.
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited October 2019
    So while I'm not particularly interested in a modern-type farming pack, I still sometimes play a historical save, in which there's an actual viking farm, so I'd honestly love a primitive kind of farm gameplay. I didn't really notice how modern and contemporary TS4 is until I tried to restrict my sims to live as if it's taking place many centuries ago.

Basically, I'd like to see them make it more POSSIBLE for our sims live off the resources of the land. Keeping and raising farm animals for food and resources. Sewing our own clothes! Really live off the grid!

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    I'd love a general rural living pack. Not a fan of the butchering animals, but chickens & eggs, cows & milk and sheep & wool could all work. Plus horses! I would totally love horses. Crops maybe, but we already have had a big gardening update so I wouldn't bet on it. Maybe they'll just add in some new plants like wheat and call it a day. I'd also like to see a difference when you use fresh produce, even if it's just a buff. Plus events like village fair, farmers market, etc. would all work well in this kind of a pack, there is plenty of scope.

I'd love a countryside world, it would actually work well with fewer lots so the sims team would have a great excuse to do a world with less lots, as long as they were all decent sizes. A rural world with big lots with lots of space around it would be amazing. Tbh I'd probably buy a pack like that purely for the world if it was a good one (especially a non-American world - we've had enough of them already!).
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    A while back, in another thread I posted this as mz ideal "farming" EP
    Thanks for asking! I love threads like this one.

My ideal pack would be an off the land/farming pack but more based on rural Mediterranean Europe than your typical American farmlands.
    I'd like the new world to have 5 districts each based on a different Mediterranean countrisde and one with the town square.

1: French Provence
    GG1WkxO.jpg

2: Italian Tuscany
    vbsLWqL.jpg

3: Spanish La Mancha (it could have working Mills!)
    35uQq4D.jpg

4: Greek Peloponnese
    kwOVqZA.jpg

5: Town square with a general mediterranean vibe and traditional architecture
    It could have an outdoor market happening on Sundays plus an indoor market that opens every day except Sundays. The markets would not only sell harvestables but also hand/homemade products. Our sims would also be able to sell their goods
    qFu02Xu.jpg
    QeRKCaM.jpg

-I would love it to have like 2 styles: high-end eco-friendly and completely off the grid
    -It should come with tons of new harvestables (including wheat, oranges, lavender, several grape varieties, sunflowers, olives, and more) and collectables in general
    -It could have new activities such as: nectar making (2 ways, traditional and modern), olive oil making (2 ways, traditional and modenr), food preserves, candle making, pottery, dairy products making, soap making, etc
    -The lots with "off the grid" trait won't have water or electricity and you would need to use alternatives to collect water and power (it could combine amazingly with Seasons too). The lots with a high-end eco-friendly style will have modern looking solar panels and sustainable materials
    -Chickens, cows, sheep, and goats (for eggs, milk, and wool)
    -Kids finally would be able to help with gardening
    -Plenty of new recipes
    -Home schooling

And much more!

Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Vampris wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I think a farming pack could be challenging if they built it correctly. For instance cows need milked or you risk harm to them. The player would learn shortly what happens to cows if they aren't milked on time. It should be more than the farm assets from the TS3 store. Having to get up at 5:00 A.M. to milk cows for grumpy Sim could add some interesting twists. Or if your Sim over sleeps. And or has to rush home to milk those cows since TS4 time continues.
    Making the farming pack challenging isn't something I would've considered, but it got me interested. I might actually be tempted to buy something that adds in difficulty, plus if they overhaul gardening a little bit so you can't just plant something in the ground and make tons of cash it would be nice.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    How to have chicken for dinner if you own a chicken farm or a few chickens...life's lessons. They aren't just going to hop into that pan.

How to smoke ham, pigs aren't going to volunteer. How meat ( beef) is better for iron and protein than any vegetable. Why liver matters.
    Yeah I don't think they would allow animals to be butchered, they would probably do it the "Stardew" way of just having cows for milk, chickens for eggs, and pigs for mushrooms (I guess?).

Might be an uproar if people see a sim head into a coop with a knife and come back with a sack of meat.

Actually, if you want a chicken dinner and just have some chickens and not a factory farm, you wring their necks first. More humane to be dead already before you whack it off.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Eefje96Eefje96 Posts: 32 Member
    @FreezerBunnyCowplant there is a great mod voor a chickencoop!!! You Can pet them feed them en collectie egs! Works great and a Nice way to earn money and save money!
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    there are canning mods, a chicken coop mod that models chickens from Sims 3 and a cow mod that models the Sims 3. You can farm now in TS4. I have had sims make lots of money off of crops and honey from the bees. Seeing more animals and having sewing/quilting/fabric art would be a nice addition. But honestly everything you need for a farm is mostly in the game, including building barn like roofs and farm style fencing.

I want stuff that has never been in The Sims franchise before
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    edited October 2019
    For me it's about what such a pack could add to the game for many different professions and interests.

If they added cows and goats we could make a variety of cheeses and milk. If we had chickens we would have eggs. We could get new recipes calling for those ingredients just like when the beehives / honey were added. Chefs and mixologists would benefit from this.

Horses would give us a new way of getting places as well as new lot types because stables would be necessary. Then there are all the things they need in order to train them which would increase the items in build mode.

Sheep would be able to give us wool and if they gave us cotton and flax plants we could make material and thread. This would enrich the fashion professions because they could add in knitting, sewing and weaving skills. This would lead to us having the ability to make wearables and home decor items using new skills. They could allow us to have more customization on those items as well as use new items such as a loom, sewing or knitting machines.

If we have animals then the veterinarian profession could be expanded.

We get so many harvestables that instead of adding something like the Grandma's Canning Station that the Sims 3 had we could update it to be the "E-Z Freeze Drying Station" that freeze dries a variety of edible items. This works really well with all the camping and adventure gear we have in game. Perhaps things made with this could fill the hunger meter better than just eating fruits and vegetables but not as much as a meal. They could also allow us to freeze dry plasma fruit for vampires with the same effect - more filling than just eating the fruit or the basic plasma packs.

Farming also goes well with cottage industries as an alternative to a full time job meaning anyone can pretty much do it from teenager to elder and it will work nicely with the Island Living off-grid lots since farming is all about being self reliant and self sustaining.

**I hadn't read any of the other responses until I had written mine. I really hope EA will look at doing some of this because we all seem to be on the same page with what items we would like to see.**
    LiELF wrote: »
    Okay, wait. I know how they could spice up the concept. Ready? ...

...Steampunk farming! That would be pretty cool, right? Right??

Anyone? Just me?

You got my vote! LOL
    edited October 2019
    Your sim gets up at 5, gathers eggs, milks the cow, feeds the chickens, slops the hogs and bingo, he is ready for breakfast(not enough time for eating, he just has a small black coffee and a bun) now he plows the fields, sows seeds, fertilizes the fields, picks vegetables and fruit and bingo, he is ready for lunch ( he still has a lot to do so he just grabs a handful of trail mix). Now he takes produce to market to sell and picks up supplies, he gets home late in the day and he needs to tend to the goats, horses and sheep, bingo time for dinner but is too tired to eat so he hits the hay at six in order to get ready for another day of drudgery. Pretty interesting, huh.

We all have our own tastes. I have to admit when I see anything related to children and toddlers I inwardly groan because I can't think of anything I want less. In fact, that's probably why I want university so much - because then I can grow them up and REALLY start to play those particular sims.
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Farming will only work if it can be an into-the-past gameplay where your sims can time-travel into the past & live there.

Uh - we still have farmers today, just some of the techniques and tools we use today are different than they were 100 years ago. But as long as people want to eat there will be farmers... lol
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    For me, I am not so much interested in the farming itself, but in the gameplay possibilities that might give us in sandbox gameplay. Crafts like sewing, nectar making, making marmelade and pickles and such, knitting, etc. - I really want more crafts. And it would be nice to get horses and sheep or chicken, I would love that.
    AphoticLee wrote: »
    I enjoyed a lot of the farming aspects in Sims 3 and would love to see a return of them in Sims 4. And I know it's just another comparison between the two but some of these things would make this game even more fun.

Nectar Making as said previously your bottles increase in value and it was a fun animation to watch your sims. Specially when they didn't do it correctly.
    Horses were absolutely fun to play with. It was like reliving a childhood dream to have them. I hope if we get them back that they include some rodeo type stuff this go around. Like barrel racing etc...
    Street Market you could have food stalls to sell your hard work of growing crops. And I really do miss having an actual grocery store to go shopping like in Sims 2 so having a market would be nice. It was just fun to do.
    Grandpa's Grove Loved the tractor taking the kids for a tractor ride. I did a sort of haunted hay field and would have sims take a ride. And the furniture and stuff just gave it that little something that really made it country homey. I loved the furniture and stuff and used it a lot.
    Canning Station IRL I would make jams with my mom and would love to do this again in game.
    Cow Corral you could do some cow tipping, play a game with the cows, get your own milk.
    Chicken Coop though I never got this item I did always want it. But you can get your own eggs and they came in different qualities. There was even an evil chicken that would make things get a little tricky and interesting. Have you ever seen people run from chickens, it's hilarious and I think would make some funny interaction in this game.

There was also this country time tea set and I could totally see my grandma sims hanging out on the porch drinking their tea gossiping while grandpa is whittling some wood in his rocking chair.

There's also the opportunity for:
    County Fairs
    Tire Swings
    Porch Swings
    Pet Pigs that could win prizes at the county fair (remember Charlotte's Web)
    Catching FireFles in Mason Jars
    Archery[/quote]

You used to be able to catch fireflies in jars in the Sims 2 and then release them. There was also an archery court in the Sims 3 you could get from the store. So there are precedences for those two things.
  • IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    Eefje96 wrote: »
    @FreezerBunnyCowplant there is a great mod voor a chickencoop!!! You Can pet them feed them en collectie egs! Works great and a Nice way to earn money and save money!

Where can I find it? Cool!
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
    edited October 2019
    jadonbakes wrote: »
    I try and try to wrap my head around why the community at large appears to want a farming pack (and yet, among themselves tend to have disagreements for what should be included in said farming pack: meat or no meat? Eastern European/Scandanavian/Asian/American Midwest world? A second huge gardening overhaul? Well-developed livestock that will take up household slots, or rough creatures with minimal animation?)

I get that there is a City Living pack, and in contrast I would enjoy a Country Living pack. One that's sort of equally opposite from City Living. Instead of cramped apartments, huge lots, spread out, no neighbors. Instead of vibrant innovative community events, there would be quaint, casual county fairs, instead of spicy food contests, pie eating contests. Instead of singing and karaoke, there is sewing and quilting circles. Instead of delightful neighbors, maybe a bit more judgmental attitudes and gossip (that's a small town stereotype, but I'm from a small town so it's okay?) One similarity between City Living and Country Living: mouse holes.

A complete parallel remake of City Living would probably have a lot of backlash, but I would like it.

I disagree with the judgmental attitudes. The Sims universe has never been judgmental about anything. Only the players of it have been lol

Other than that - you should start a farming expansion poll based on your ideas of what to include.
  • MrSpacemanMrSpaceman Posts: 382 Member
    edited October 2019
    Hard to explain, but I just love it. It's quite satisfying and relaxing in the game even though I have a zero interest for it in real life. And you don't have to make a farm, you can just use certain objects and functions in your usual family. Like I have it in TS3. Sometimes my sims do some gardening ONLY because it looks nice when there are flowers or fruit trees around the house. My sim grows red grapes because they kind of brighten the household + sims can eat them, but not because we need money or smth.

Oh and I just like when my sims can drink wine and make their own. Mine don't make their own, but they probably will one day. Anyways, sometimes it's nice to have a grape grower in your neighbourhood so he could make homemade wine and sell it to your sims.
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    Irdiwen wrote: »

I'll just leave this one here because there are a few other items that might catch your attention. ;)
    https://icemunmun.blogspot.com/2019/01/functional-objects.html
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I agree about allowing for different lifestyles. It's a counterweight to CL. I enjoy that but I want some sims who live differently.

As for farms and no time off, that depends on what you do and how you do it. I know someone who farms who gets probably more time off than any other job. Some farmers only keep livestock seasonally. There are certain times of the year when he works very long hours and then other times when he only does lighter tasks. It requires careful planning though.

Regarding the Sims, I think it would be very fun. I know there are other games but this would be part of this series so sims could move between farming and the other worlds. You could have a city sim move out there and try to figure it out or marry into a farming family. That would be even more funny if they were squeamish.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    Anmirla wrote: »
    Irdiwen wrote: »

I'll just leave this one here because there are a few other items that might catch your attention. ;)
    https://icemunmun.blogspot.com/2019/01/functional-objects.html

Thank you! Love the canning and candles as well!
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.