Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did Realm of Magic Meet Your Expectations?

1235...Next

Comments

• Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Realm of Magic did not meet my expectations.
    It's really dumbed down. Who is their target audience again?
  • bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »

My thoughts exactly! The entire Sims 4 has that look. I was really excited about this magic pack but completely dissapointed when I started playing it.

I feel the Sims franchise has hit its zenith and it is time to rethink this whole concept.
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    edited October 2019
    I guess I can't really speak on the pack as a whole as I do not own it, but I've seen plenty of gameplay vids and reviews on it, and I've seen a lot that I'm disappointed in. I expected an okay pack with some glaring issues but at least some fun new spells (I was particularly hoping for good, evil & neutral spells, or some variation thereof), but the spells just do things we can already do in game with either cheats, reward traits, work items or some other existing gameplay mechanic, which on top of having the same animations and not even requiring the spellcasting sim to be looking directly where they're casting, it just seems lazy. I hate that kids were left out yet again, even if they had watered-down kid specific spells, I'd have been okay with that, but instead, more nothing. Yay. That, and I think base game sims automatically becoming spellcasters is way stupid. I mean, come on, Eliza Pancakes, the Bjergsens, The Roomies, Don Fricken Lothario? They're exactly the sims I was planning on torturing with magic and now they have magic? What the plum, EA? On the plus side, the new world (the magic realm, not Glimmerbrook, never Glimmerbrook) and the CAS and BB items are STUNNING, but it's hard to get excited about that with all of my other concerns.

Also, Aine / the super cool looking green-haired witch S P E L L C A S T E R from the trailer not being in game OR on the gallery is a gut punch, was looking forward to having my sims get to know her, the builds are just, NO, the new situational outfits are ghastly as always and the sages look pretty bad compared to the ones in the promotional material. Many may disagree, but I also dislike how easy it is to become a spellcaster, especially given that I'm not generally fond of fetch quests even in games where they make sense. As someone who adored Makin' Magic back in the day, I'm pretty underwhelmed with what I've seen so far. I had high hopes of defying the code to cheat my existing occult sims into spellcasters (partially to make a super OP sim, partially to see how buggy they turned out) but it hardly seems worth it anymore.
    Post edited by WaitWhatYT on
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    Realm of Magic met my expectations.
    It met my expectations. I am having fun with it. I love how the duels are done this time. I also love that I have seen no magic being done outside of the actual realm. I do see people using brooms for travel, but nothing else. I don't like that townies are being turned into spell casters, but I believe it has been said that is a bug. I like the idea of familiars, but I do think they should have been more interactive.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    bluzkat65 wrote: »

My thoughts exactly! The entire Sims 4 has that look. I was really excited about this magic pack but completely dissapointed when I started playing it.

I feel the Sims franchise has hit its zenith and it is time to rethink this whole concept.

The main problem is that they're trying to bring in a new audience, which in of itself isn't a bad idea. That new audience/player-base just so happens to be children, or at least the 9-13 crowd. In their bid to make the game more...palpable for younger players, they're silently shunting aside their older player-base. Heck, I remember how mature the themes were in TS2, you know back when a PG13/M rating actually used to mean something.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I agree with the above. I'm not asking for anything super mature but this pack really made me question if the majority that play this game are really kids? Because I remember playing either 2 or 3 when I was a little child and even then it never felt like a kids game. I liked the maturity of it. And i had always assumed that mostly mature teens and adults played this anyway.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    I did not but I can't be mad at anyone but myself. I should know to manage my expectations better. It's not a terrible pack but it's not what I hoped for.
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    @Bobisbae Nothing to be mad about, that's just the nature of advertising, to make things seem their absolute best and to minimize their faults. I think many of us on the forums have felt burned by a pack we were excited for, it happens (I still have fun with Strangerville and IL, they just weren't everything that I'd hope they'd be or as fleshed out as I'd have preferred...)
  • bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    I agree with the above. I'm not asking for anything super mature but this pack really made me question if the majority that play this game are really kids? Because I remember playing either 2 or 3 when I was a little child and even then it never felt like a kids game. I liked the maturity of it. And i had always assumed that mostly mature teens and adults played this anyway.

I totally agree with you. I played TS2 last night and had a great time. Graphics are outdated, but it didn't bother me because I had fun. I love TS3 even now than I did before TS4. I am a mature adult and I'm all for fun gaming, but 4 is a tad too cartoonish for me. I am not a S5 believer, but it would be nice if they would come out with a true interactive, full open world game that doesn't look like Roger Rabbit.

I have been a sims fan since its inception, but not sure how much more of these current version I can take. LOL
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    What I don't understand is why the making magic potion that covers the same potions as the reward store, the kids and teenagers can use the reward store potion, but the ones from realm of magic is restrcted to teenagers and older.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Humility925Humility925 Posts: 152 Member
    Other. (because someone will always want to choose other)
    Could been better. I would love to had vampire mage but game won't allow, and some potion need to be better, like a immortality should freeze age, I don't think most want elder forever, freeze age you want, rather than limited by elder age, if one want elder, they could use immortality when it's hit elder age, so potion of immortality seem near useless, expect for those who want elder forever, not dies.
  • TX12001TX12001 Posts: 46 Member
    Take a look at Simeon, L.Faba and then tell me if it met my expectations.
  • MsShaShaMsShaSha Posts: 52 Member
    Other, because I don't want to say out right that ROM didn't meet my expectations, but it didn't exactly meet them either.

Overall the pack looks beautiful, the worlds are lovely, but it just feels - lacking. Familiars that don't do very much, it's far too easy to gain powers and spells and that greenhouse, WHY can we not go into and use that gorgeous greenhouse (in an already tiny world)?! Seriously, someone took all of the time to make this amazing shell to take up that amount of space, and we can't grow in it? (I would be so peeved if I were the creator of that asset.)

While other areas are a bit too much, like every townie ever suddenly knowing about the realm and coming to learn magic. Bob Pancakes is not a warlock. 😒 Coding truly should have kept ROM townies as the only ones to enter the realm, while other pack townies would have to manually be played and taken there to make them magical if a player wanted to make that part of their story line.

I must admit that I was also really hoping that, certainly with all of the complaints from the community since vampires, we would finally get a means of turning occults on/off per save, much like with aging. Why is this still not a thing?! I love my occult sims, I don't want every save to be "like real life"... however there are save files that I do, and many others within the community who prefer the more realistic play but want the content that comes with these packs. We should have this ability.

Lastly, Where is the witch hat and warlocks robes? (Unisex of course.)

Magic has always been one of my top three packs, up there with Seasons and Pets - er, Cats & Dogs, and now I feel like I'm left both excited we have magic and a bit sad at what feels lacking.

That being said, the worlds are gorgeous!

uwxwhgf
    I build things some times. Origin ID: MsShaSha
  • FaeChaiFaeChai Posts: 87 Member
    I like it but...I'm annoyed with parts of it.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited October 2019
    I had really wanted this pack to be better, its not terrible, its a good pack, just too empty

No toddler/kid content, or gameplay :#
    lack of spells in the spell book.
    another tiny world
    boring family s
    terrible houses in glimmerstone
    not enough buy/CAS
    the magic realm is huge disappointment, i wanted a real street with magic stuff to buy/sell

not yet more tiny retail units that are spreading in the sims 4 since city living, faster than the t virus :#

the unusable greenhouse :#

w
    Post edited by marcel21 on
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I still think it needs a lot more spells and and a lot of them need to last longer. That is my main gripe. I honestly think Seasons is the best pack because they didn't add a new world and added strict gameplay. However, Realm of Magic's Magical Realm looks awesome. I just wish they included a few quirky items that Supernatural had such as the mirror you talk to and Bonehilda. Anyway, I am enjoying my time with Realm. As always, the pack just needs a little tiny more difficulty and stronger effects added. Being a spellcaster is fun and I already am adding mods because I am a mod addict. I added mods for all sims games though.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    If by expectations you mean shallow, not deep enough gameplay where they become way too powerful way too fast and after they reach the top they never really want nor need anything ever again, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Apart from the fact there's so many annoying bugs and messups in the pack to begin with, I am ashamed I spent $20 on this.

What I can say though, there is promise in it, real promise. It's not what I wished for though...
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    This is a pack I had no expectations of as I’m not a huge occult player and only got the pack as part of a build a bundle as it was the choice of this or vampires for the game pack plus I was using an origin giftcard so I’ve spent no money on it and now I’m glad I didn’t spend my own money on it. I love the glimmerbrook world but wish it had more lots and some of the build buy and cas items. However the magical world is really glitchy for me and I find the spells and potions boring to learn and use. I don’t see the point in the familiars as they don’t do anything useful. For me this is my least favourite game pack.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited October 2019
    After a month or so now, if I could change my answer I would. It did NOT meet my expectations (and the bar for me was NOT set that high) :/ At first it DID meet my expectations. I did expect bugs too, they happen. I liked and still do like the CAS/BB and I thought the spells and magic tree was a bit too easy, but I still liked what it offered. The worlds were pretty too, if not small.

What I didn't expect was that they wouldn't fix some key bugs that first patch after, even though modders did. I didn't expect the builds to be unfinished, (missing door, mismatched roof. They had 4 lots they built in the home world, 4... and they couldn't even be bothered to do them properly?! Past packs/EP's have a lot more and less mistakes). I didn't expect bugs that broke key game play features either. Bugs happen, but key game play features like Ancient Bloodline? The pack now feels like it was rushed out, untested and unfinished and I kind of want my money back TBH. Lesson learned though! No more first days for me and certainly no more full prices for me.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member

The main problem is that they're trying to bring in a new audience, which in of itself isn't a bad idea. That new audience/player-base just so happens to be children, or at least the 9-13 crowd. In their bid to make the game more...palpable for younger players, they're silently shunting aside their older player-base. Heck, I remember how mature the themes were in TS2, you know back when a PG13/M rating actually used to mean something.

If they want to target a new audience, or a younger audience they should gear it towards a slightly older audience, if the aim is ages 9-13 then make a game for 14-21. Most kids play video games outside of the intended age range anyway. And doing so will keep the older age ranges.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »

If they want to target a new audience, or a younger audience they should gear it towards a slightly older audience, if the aim is ages 9-13 then make a game for 14-21. Most kids play video games outside of the intended age range anyway. And doing so will keep the older age ranges.

I agree, it's why I appreciate mods like BMD, WW, NWP. Even if they are a little too mature for my own personal tastes. Like I'm not saying make the game like those mods, but at least add some stuff for the older player base. Like the more raunchy flirts or kisses form TS2 or something.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    Best GP so far