Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living; is it lacking?

Comments

• netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    No, Island Living is Fine
    Personally no and I feel I am in the minority but I love the pack and all it has to offer.
  • Princess_07xPrincess_07x Posts: 926 Member
    Yes, Island Living is Lacking
    Simburian wrote: »
    I'm disappointed that it is still isn't fully 64bit. I'd like to know why. It wasn't out of the goodness of their hearts as it isn't their style.

Some of the extra depth might have had to be left out because it had to be 32bit compliant and because the Legacy Edition wasn't ready yet or the water tools weren't either. We might get a 64bit patch before Realm of Magic with more for it. Here's hoping.

All I can say is that the 64bits update wouldn't have changed anything in term of quality and quantity for future releases. Just look at how bad IL turned out to be, it's the worst ''EP'' ever made in this franchise in term of new gameplay.

it's the worst ''EP'' ever made in this franchise in term of new gameplay I agree!
  • HannaZojaHannaZoja Posts: 93 Member
    edited November 2019
    I love IL because of the new World, the CAS and Build mode items and its general beauty. I am free to tell my own story and as a builder I have got lots of new options.
    I must admit that until recently I was disappointed because I thought that there were no special festivals

However I was wrong!
    https://youtu.be/3zxxHmYy7aA

Yeah!
    Post edited by HannaZoja on
    Favourite Game: Sims 3 <3
    Favourite Worlds Sims 3: Hidden Springs, Barnacle Bay, Riverview, Isla Paradiso, Sunlit Tides, Monte Vista, Dragon Valley, Al Simhara, Shang Simla, Roaring Heights, Lunar Lakes

Favourite Worlds Sims 4: Britechester, Windenburg, Sulani - possibly Mt. Komorebi
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm...

Get Famous: Lot and lots of gameplay with a little little world

Island Living: AMAZING world with less gameplay

Personally I love Sulani to bits and pieces and I all my sims live there at some point of their story.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I feel like it's added a lot for my gameplay style. The beaches I've been building in the pack get very busy and it's lovely that the toddlers can actually play in the sand, build sand sculptures and play independently in the water. They couldn't do any of those before so this was a nice touch as far as I'm concerned. I really love the feel of living on the islands and being a part of the community <3 The festivals are lovely and get very busy and the aesthetics are gorgeous and, particularly for the conservation side of the pack, ideal for the location. And I do think the conservation element was a wonderful addition. a040.gif
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    No complaints on the world, lot sizes, etc, but the gameplay is severely lacking.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Other, ...
    I ended up voting "Other" on this one. I like some things about it but I do think it could have more, especially for an expansion.

Yes, I think the world is great and as I explored the pack recently, it's definitely one I'll keep playing with. I agree that compared to earlier packs, it does seem to be lacking a bit.

I really think it should have included hotels or resorts. If anything, I like the livable world but I'd have been really impressed if there was also a smaller vacation world that may have just been a resort area. The pack would have felt bigger.

I actually do like the conservation career, I wouldn't have thought about it but it's different. I like that there is a different culture there; I actually think it is cool and I learned some things about the region that it's based on. The pre-mades? Meh, I'm incorporating some of them but I could take or leave them. I don't buy a pack for pre-mades though.

Gorgeous swimming, I could have my sims do that all day. I also got features that I asked for like the sun loungers. I like being able to park a sim outside and not have to wonder what they are up to.

I like the gorgeous houses and the quirky builds like the shipwreck. The lots all feel different from each other. I definitely think the world is replayable.

I think that the pack could use more gameplay. I don't really play with the mermaids because I'm not a supernatural player but yeah, I think the pack would have been better with more gameplay and if it incorporated vacations. As it is, it feels a little bit like corners were cut. Awesome world that is fun to explore though.

I've said before that I agree that Get Famous's world was way too small. I'm just now getting into the gameplay but the world is so small that it is hard to create an exclusive celebrity culture that just lives there. Sulani is beautiful and sure, I always want more beautiful beach lots, but hats off to the beauty of that world. I just think that IL was missing a "wow factor". I didn't feel like that with City Living or Get Together.

If there had been a beach resort and some kind of adventure, I probably would have been more wowed. I didn't play the TS3 version so I don't miss underwater scuba, but sure, more is more.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • HannaZojaHannaZoja Posts: 93 Member
    Originally I missed out on much of the game because festivals are not advertised.
    For those who also had difficulties finding out about the Islands festivals:

Sulani Festivals on the inhabited Island

1. Monday - Town Barbeque started around 5 pm and ended around 12:20 am
    2. Tuesday - Flower and Music started around 12 noon and ended around 7:30 pm
    3. Wednesday - Town Pot Luck started around 6:40 pm
    4. Thursday - Island Celebration started around 5 pm
    5. Friday - Beach Bonfire started around 5 pm
    6. Saturday - Fishing Competition started in the Morning
    7. Sunday - Family Fun Day started in the Morning
    8. Turtle hatching - in Spring upon cleansing This one is in Muat Pelam
    Favourite Game: Sims 3 <3
    Favourite Worlds Sims 3: Hidden Springs, Barnacle Bay, Riverview, Isla Paradiso, Sunlit Tides, Monte Vista, Dragon Valley, Al Simhara, Shang Simla, Roaring Heights, Lunar Lakes

Favourite Worlds Sims 4: Britechester, Windenburg, Sulani - possibly Mt. Komorebi
  • SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    Eh, Island Living is tolerable
    It's tolerable. The graphics are amazing, and it's also full of brilliant story opportunities for me. I like the cleaning up the islands thing, but it needs also to degrade faster than it does. My sim just picked up and dropped a single thing of trash for a real half an hour and the game claimed I'd cleaned up the entire island, as the picking up trash was marked as cleaning but somehow dropping it didn't make the island worse. Mermaids are no worse than aliens, if a bit buggy.
    banner.png
  • TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    I think it lacks goal oriented gameplay. Apart from the conservationist career and the mini aspiration there is no other concrete goal to achieve. That being said I dont think we got less in comparison with other packs. The "gameplay" around beach life is very detailed and the world is amazing with an open ended feel...I like it.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I really enjoy this pack. The BB is awesome and I love the world. I spend most of my time there when playing. I like the little events like community bonfire and turtle hatching. The Kava Party is also fun. It could use a few more activities, ability to have more than one Sim on a boat or Aqua-Zip, and multitasking in lounge chairs. 🤩

I’ve never played with mermaids, so obviously I don’t have an opinion on whether that’s an empty part of the game.
  • lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    I think it's a beautiful world, I really love the scenery. The one thing I really wanted was special dive lot/lots like we had in sims 3, but I still think it's a nice world.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    It lacks gameplay, but living in the world is a nice change of pace and scenery compared to other worlds. It's a pack mainly for the experience rather than the game play I'd say. Off the grid living I would say is the worlds best feature, playing off the grid forces you to use the world to its entirety and emphasizes recourse managemnt in a way that other worlds just don't provide. Island Living plus Outdoor Retreat (mainly for the campfire and tent objects) go really well together.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,484 Member
    edited January 2020
    It's so lacking, especially for an EP, that I don't play it. I do enjoy some of the things from it, but gameplay is a disappointment. I had hoped it would be more like a fixed version of Sims3 Island Paradise. I loved having my Rock Star Sim relax by scuba diving. Now, it's a rabbit hole. face/palm.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I loved that I was able to finally turn my Ariel sim into an actual Mermaid & I like the Island.
    It just missed houseboats & hotel resorts.
  • tsing_306tsing_306 Posts: 14 New Member
    The world and build items are fantastic. The conservationist career is meaningful and I love how the environment change depends on the amount of conservation efforts. I made a club for conservationists (I have 7 conservationists in my game) where they clean the island together, hunt for illegal fisherman, help to plant coconut trees, and etc. I am no longer a fan of mermaids because they just spend too much time in water autonomously. So instead of a mermaid system, I want to see a conservation awareness level where sims can gain points by cleaning up/comb beach/spreading conservation awareness. I want conservationists to be able to give talks/speech about conservation.
  • WillskyWillsky Posts: 63 Member
    I remember back last June, I was really excited to get my hands on the new expansion pack. The trailer looked incredible. I dived in making a completly new save file, with a family who I pretended lived in Sulani for centuries, but the young generations were starting to break of from their elders traditions etc. However, I felt if I hadn't added this rich family story into my game, then the pack would've been lacking. There is no real game changers with this pack. (most worlds have swimable or wade areas now) since recent patches. Boats, are definatly the main one and floats, but there was soo much more potential. I like Pel'am (I forgot the name :smile: ) story with saving the wildlife, was the best part of the pack; but yet it felt repetitive. The festivals, were random pop-ups and I only ever saw 2 or 3 over a few months playing. Prehaps if there were more new gameplay changers, such as resorts/hotels or maybe running an island B&B would've made this pack much more versitile with others. I feel like this pack items mostly only work within the world of Sulani. However it still wasn't a bad pack by any means.
  • Jessops1isbackJessops1isback Posts: 1 New Member
    Love Sulami and the items in this pack. But one of the main things which drew me into The Sims 3 Island Paradise was the Resorts. Would LOVE Resorts
  • LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    I just have fun there. Could it be better, yes. Still it is one of my most used packs for my play style.
  • iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    edited January 2020
    As much as I love IL, I wish it were fleshed out more like CL.

Heck, I take it back. Island Living is one of my favorite packs!
    Post edited by iliekponiez on
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    It's my favorite pack but like every pack there's a lot of things that feel half finished.

The conservation career firstly, is terrible. It's just a rabbithole job and the only out of work task you get is "talk to others about conservation", there's no daily tasks making use of any of the new conservation features added it's just pointless.

Then there's the "Island Elementals", what is there to even say. Just why would they put something in that's completely unbuilt upon, they're just a random group of ghosts that you can call and they just stand around and serve no purpose nor do they have any backstory. Just why? Same with the dolphins, they're cute but pointless?

Then there's the mermaids, a half finished occult. There doesn't seem to be any mermaids built into the game the only mermaids you have is mermaids you create and they don't really serve any purpose. There's a couple of mermaid interactions but no explanation on what these actually do until you use them (atleast have a popup saying gives flirty trait or whatever when you hover over them). They're just a bit meh and there's nothing really built for mermaids in the game.

However I do love the open-world feel of the world, the waterfall is cool, the world is gorgeous, and I love to have something different to play in other than American suburbs, the CAS is nice, it's just a few dumb decisions like the above stated that ruin it. Personally I'm not bothered about the lack of resorts as this is more of a traditional castaway type pack rather than a vacation pack which I guess a lot of people wanted it to be
  • munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    my key problem with IL is that mermaids had SO MUCH potential and they're just so lackluster. No skill tree, no major abilities, limited CAS for them, tails that expose their butt (which, why??), no underwater world or world exclusive to them, vampires were just done so well, any occult that doesn't have a skill tree now just looks so plain next to them. Why hype up that mermaids were a major aspect of the pack, when they're so poorly done?

I think the CAS, BB and MOST of the pack was done well. unlocking the oceans, Sulanese culture and the world is beautiful.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Nope. This is actually the best gamepack that they ever made! Oh wait..
  • surlybadgersurlybadger Posts: 283 Member
    I don't hate the pack and find most of it enjoyable, in truth I love it but it doesn't mean I don't find it lacking. The fact I called it a pack should say something. It's little things that I find missing or need tuning that would have made it perfect. Watching the island come to life as you clean it up is such a nice touch, but I wish there were more ways to make a living via the island, like hotels, tour guides. Mermaids could do things in shallow water. Fine, they don't want to snorkel but why can't they dive there? That ocean photography and treasure hunting were possible jobs/careers. Little things that would have really made this expansion shine, ya know?
  • JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    To me Island Living added lot of things I missed in the game. Mermaids are gorgeous and I love them. They were well made with their unique looks and ready presets in the CAS to choose from when I am too busy to create my own mermaids, I just add good or evil looking mermaid straight from those premade faces. Love the new fantasy eyes and CAS coming with IL. Island Living CAS is simply amazing and perfect add to my regular family gaming style too because they can always have visits at Sulani beach and that atmosphere really feels like going abroad for a while. Things I dislike are Island Spirits and rabbithole diving. Everything else I am pretty satisfied. Hotels and resorts are nice, but I only played those once in the sims 3 so they are not so important for me. Comparing to Sims 3 it seems like not having as much, but something else they did better like mermaids are much better in Sims 4 and Sulani does not lag. Sulani is gorgeous and runs smoothly.