Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stuff packs ain't cheap.

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I don't know, if I watch a film once in the theatre, it will cost more than a stuff pack. If you bundle the content during a sale, you aren't necessarily paying the sticker price. I really have no problem with stuff packs. I don't think they come at the expense of gameplay.

I'd get really bored if I had all the same objects, clothes and styles over and over again, not because of a lack of gameplay but because I'd get bored of the same visuals on repeat. Some of the packs add minor amounts of gameplay that can liven up a space. I actually send sims bowling quite a lot or to watch a film or in warm weather to play on a water slide if they have the right backyard for it.

I'm not a cheerleader all the time but I am when I think it's a needed perspective. Anyway, I don't think it needs to be a case of "stuff vs. gameplay". Yes, I want more gameplay as much as anyone, though some of us might want different types.

As for TS3, I have no issue with it but it was a different era for me. I used to get SPs for the other versions back in the day when I wanted to. I'm not bashing people who still play that game. I just don't think that everything needs to be a repeat of TS3.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    They are on sale, 22% off. The only question is how long before I cave in? ;)
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    It took 2 seconds for me to decide after reading your post. Yup, just bought the last SP I didn't have. I can never pass up a bargain. :D I have no willpower!
  • Options
    I'll probably cave in over the weekend because I've been planning to get Laundry Day for a while and even CD Keys and similar never have any good deals on that one.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited January 2020
    Hmm, I checked the prices on all five of the ones I don't have, and none were on sale for me. I checked the Origin website, Origin via the game, and EA.com's store. Even CD Keys doesn't have very good prices right now.

I did find a couple for 15% off at Walmart, so I went ahead and bought those. Target also had one at 15% off, but they charge tax on digital codes, which in my area eats up almost the entire amount I would have saved.
    Post edited by Rouensims on
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    I caved in and got Laundry Day. I'd been after a deal on it since the summer and since it was recently pay day and I needed something to cheer me up after not sleeping well lately, I decided to just go for it!
  • Options
    ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    I bought three of the seven I didn't have. 22% off isn't bad, but I have seen them as low as 40% off. I just don't care as much about Luxury Party, Toddler, Fitness, or My First Pet to pay the higher price for them, really!
  • Options
    vincentvega8899vincentvega8899 Posts: 103 Member
    Maybe just formulate a catalogue system. Keep the cute little stuff pack names or whatever the heck but pick what you want. Like downloadable contents format. ‘Oh a new chair’ charge 50 cents real cash. Have the catalogue updating with new content monthly and filtered out so it’s not overwhelmed. That way the items could feel exclusive to the player.
  • Options
    CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    Hmm, I checked the prices on all five of the ones I don't have, and none were on sale for me. I checked the Origin website, Origin via the game, and EA.com's store. Even CD Keys doesn't have very good prices right now.

I did find a couple for 15% off at Walmart, so I went ahead and bought those. Target also had one at 15% off, but they charge tax on digital codes, which in my area eats up almost the entire amount I would have saved.

Same. Not on sale for me anywhere.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Cheap or not depends upon the values of the beholder and how easily they're suckered into buying crap from an amoral, greasy developer. IMHO they're just not worth getting.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Guess I'm a sucker, lol. :p Wondering if I'll have to wait until the community stuff pack releases to be suckered in again.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Guess you are, LOL. Oh, my sides.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Too funny. Gave you an awesome for that one. 👍
  • Options
    liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    Maybe just formulate a catalogue system. Keep the cute little stuff pack names or whatever the heck but pick what you want. Like downloadable contents format. ‘Oh a new chair’ charge 50 cents real cash. Have the catalogue updating with new content monthly and filtered out so it’s not overwhelmed. That way the items could feel exclusive to the player.

hell no, I hated it when the sims 3 store did that, since it usually always resulted in things being even more expensive.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    This thread is a little old, but since it's still going, I'll weigh in because I can't remember if I already did, lol.

Sure, they could do away with Stuff Packs, but that absolutely does not mean that suddenly EPs and GPs will have more content without increasing in cost. The pack structures contain a revenue plan for the company because it's still business and they have numbers to beat in order to please their investors. So what happens when you take the Stuff Pack revenue away completely? Well, it has to make up somewhere, so congratulations, suddenly EPs and GPs increase in price by $5 each. But sure, you get a few more objects and CAS in them, not that it would be that noticeable. Business is business and that's the unfortunate reality of capitalism.

At least now the themes are minor and cohesive and easy to skip if they don't appeal to the player. They are generally affordable and include a little bit of gameplay for a tight budget. Compared to what Stuff Packs used to be, ($20 for just objects and clothing) and considering we get whole Game Packs for that price now, I think it's actually a huge improvement.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member
    The entire game isn't cheap. Nobody forces you to buy anything, and some people happen to really like stuff packs - like me. So they definitely add to my gameplay.
    1500x500.jpg
  • Options
    secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    Movie hangout stuff is currently on sale for £4.99
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I like stuff packs.

If it's a choice between going to see a movie for 2 hours, eating out at maccies or buying a stuff pack I can enjoy for a few years I know which one I always opt for ;)
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Actually the Tiny Living Stuff Pack is what brought me back to playing after not playing for a month. So I say I like SP's they are all unique and interesting.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I like stuff packs.

If it's a choice between going to see a movie for 2 hours, eating out at maccies or buying a stuff pack I can enjoy for a few years I know which one I always opt for ;)

Where I live I can buy 2 stuff packs for the price of a movie haha!

I agree the full game is expensive, but I don't have cable, cellphone data (or even pay per minute, I only use free wifi), I don't go out to eat, or drink, other than treating my kid to the odd fast food meal (just the food no beverages). My entertainment budget is all used on this game, and when it comes down to it, I've played it for over 1000 hours, meaning I've paid approx 45 cents/hour of entertainment haha which really isn't bad at all.
  • Options
    CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    I actually like SPs and don't mind them... as long as they go on sale every once in a while, which they never do in the US.
  • Options
    under_sun_and_skyunder_sun_and_sky Posts: 96 Member
    How were TS2 stuff packs that great? It was only clothes/furniture/decor items and a premade house or two, for $20.
    Yes, Sims 2 packs were more expensive, and they didn't have "new" gameplay items, but in those days stuff packs weren't "essential" if you needed a certain item. For example, an item like the murphy bed came with Apartment Life. Expansion packs in those days were CRAMMED full of new items like that. These days, if you're going for a certain type of build, and there's one item you need - for example, a hot tub - you can't have it unless you have Perfect Patio Stuff. Things like that. Although I will say the current model we have with these stuff packs is MUCH better than the sets from the Sims 3 store. Those were crap and expansive as hell. But anyways, what I like about Sims 2 stuff packs is that, even though they didn't have new gameplay, they had full, cohesive sets of items, great for if you were building/creating sims with a certain look in mind. I mean, it's all subjective and nothing wrong with preferring the new model of stuff packs - after all they are half the price - but personally, I prefer it the old way.
    tumblr_pg992c6rBP1r42s8uo1_400.gifv