August 16 - Ready for the Friday Highlight? Check it out here!
August 16 - Guru Garage day! SimGurus are ready to continue with the Guru Games - details here!
August 15 - We have updated the forum rules. Learn more here.

Sims 4 Lagging for Absolutely No Reason

Comments

  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 147,831 Member
    vktaetae wrote: »
    hello, my game is still lagging..it was working better at few points but the lag never really went away..:/ it's so annoying and sims 3 has never worked without major lagging on this laptop. is it too new for sims 3 or something? but mainly sims 4 is the reason i'm annoyed and it really frustrates me 'cause i can't play how and when i want to...

    Hello @vktaetae
    Make sure that your graphics drivers are uptodate.
    If your sims are living in San Myshuno, have them move to another world and see if that helps the lagging
    Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Try removing some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.
    Try testing by starting a new save game and see if the issues are occurring there.
    If you have cc/mods in your game, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and see if the issues are still there.
    Repairing the game may help. To do that, go to games library in Origin, right click on the sims 4 picture and click repair

    For your sims 3 Issues, it would be best to post about your issue on this thread for Sims 3 game issues where simmers who are new members are able to post , as they can't start new threads,
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893122/thread-for-new-members-to-post-their-sims-3-game-issues#latest
  • KiriTaiyakaKiriTaiyaka Posts: 3 New Member
    I've had the same problem as well for the past couple of days, specifically with Sims 4. Don't have any mods or CC, and I play on a gaming laptop with Nvidia GE 960M, 16 gig RAM and intel i7 processor. After trying everything in this thread nothing worked.

    Eventually I opened the GEforce experience program (Not the 3D settings), set the settings on optimal settings and opened the game from there. It's not PERFECT, but it runs a lot smoother and my GPU is no longer off the charts from the game. Specifically, the optimal settings adjusted the resolution for fullscreen and turned the lighting on low. Everything else is on the normal settings for ultra.

    Hope this helps!
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 147,831 Member
    I've had the same problem as well for the past couple of days, specifically with Sims 4. Don't have any mods or CC, and I play on a gaming laptop with Nvidia GE 960M, 16 gig RAM and intel i7 processor. After trying everything in this thread nothing worked.

    Eventually I opened the GEforce experience program (Not the 3D settings), set the settings on optimal settings and opened the game from there. It's not PERFECT, but it runs a lot smoother and my GPU is no longer off the charts from the game. Specifically, the optimal settings adjusted the resolution for fullscreen and turned the lighting on low. Everything else is on the normal settings for ultra.

    Hope this helps!

    Hello .
    It is kind and thoughtful of you to post what you have found has helped with the issues in your game. It will be helpful for other simmers :)
  • vktaetaevktaetae Posts: 18 New Member
    > @KiriTaiyaka said:
    > I've had the same problem as well for the past couple of days, specifically with Sims 4. Don't have any mods or CC, and I play on a gaming laptop with Nvidia GE 960M, 16 gig RAM and intel i7 processor. After trying everything in this thread nothing worked.
    >
    > Eventually I opened the GEforce experience program (Not the 3D settings), set the settings on optimal settings and opened the game from there. It's not PERFECT, but it runs a lot smoother and my GPU is no longer off the charts from the game. Specifically, the optimal settings adjusted the resolution for fullscreen and turned the lighting on low. Everything else is on the normal settings for ultra.
    >
    > Hope this helps!

    Hello and thanks for the tip. This didn't however work for me either. I also tried all the above tips but none worked. My game already lags while in CAS or building as well as gameplay. It's unbearable and especially when Seasons just came out I am dying to play ;_;
    @rosemow
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    vktaetae wrote: »
    > @KiriTaiyaka said:
    > I've had the same problem as well for the past couple of days, specifically with Sims 4. Don't have any mods or CC, and I play on a gaming laptop with Nvidia GE 960M, 16 gig RAM and intel i7 processor. After trying everything in this thread nothing worked.
    >
    > Eventually I opened the GEforce experience program (Not the 3D settings), set the settings on optimal settings and opened the game from there. It's not PERFECT, but it runs a lot smoother and my GPU is no longer off the charts from the game. Specifically, the optimal settings adjusted the resolution for fullscreen and turned the lighting on low. Everything else is on the normal settings for ultra.
    >
    > Hope this helps!

    Hello and thanks for the tip. This didn't however work for me either. I also tried all the above tips but none worked. My game already lags while in CAS or building as well as gameplay. It's unbearable and especially when Seasons just came out I am dying to play ;_;
    @rosemow

    Did you try changing your resolution to 1080p as suggested before? Your video card should be running the game at 1080p 60 hz
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 147,831 Member
    edited June 2018
  • vktaetaevktaetae Posts: 18 New Member
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > vktaetae wrote: »
    >
    > > @KiriTaiyaka said:
    > > I've had the same problem as well for the past couple of days, specifically with Sims 4. Don't have any mods or CC, and I play on a gaming laptop with Nvidia GE 960M, 16 gig RAM and intel i7 processor. After trying everything in this thread nothing worked.
    > >
    > > Eventually I opened the GEforce experience program (Not the 3D settings), set the settings on optimal settings and opened the game from there. It's not PERFECT, but it runs a lot smoother and my GPU is no longer off the charts from the game. Specifically, the optimal settings adjusted the resolution for fullscreen and turned the lighting on low. Everything else is on the normal settings for ultra.
    > >
    > > Hope this helps!
    >
    > Hello and thanks for the tip. This didn't however work for me either. I also tried all the above tips but none worked. My game already lags while in CAS or building as well as gameplay. It's unbearable and especially when Seasons just came out I am dying to play ;_;
    > @rosemow
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Did you try changing your resolution to 1080p as suggested before? Your video card should be running the game at 1080p 60 hz

    Can you explain a bit more since I'm not sure I understand..? I have my game resolution at 1920x1080..?
    @rosemow I just installed the new ones about half an hour ago. Thank you
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    vktaetae wrote: »
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > vktaetae wrote: »
    >
    > > @KiriTaiyaka said:
    > > I've had the same problem as well for the past couple of days, specifically with Sims 4. Don't have any mods or CC, and I play on a gaming laptop with Nvidia GE 960M, 16 gig RAM and intel i7 processor. After trying everything in this thread nothing worked.
    > >
    > > Eventually I opened the GEforce experience program (Not the 3D settings), set the settings on optimal settings and opened the game from there. It's not PERFECT, but it runs a lot smoother and my GPU is no longer off the charts from the game. Specifically, the optimal settings adjusted the resolution for fullscreen and turned the lighting on low. Everything else is on the normal settings for ultra.
    > >
    > > Hope this helps!
    >
    > Hello and thanks for the tip. This didn't however work for me either. I also tried all the above tips but none worked. My game already lags while in CAS or building as well as gameplay. It's unbearable and especially when Seasons just came out I am dying to play ;_;
    > @rosemow
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Did you try changing your resolution to 1080p as suggested before? Your video card should be running the game at 1080p 60 hz

    Can you explain a bit more since I'm not sure I understand..? I have my game resolution at 1920x1080..?
    @rosemow I just installed the new ones about half an hour ago. Thank you

    That is where your game should be set at 1920 x1080 at 60 hz. On the previous page you were trying to run the game at a lower resolution.. 1920 X 1080p is your native resolution. 60 hz would be your monitor screen refresh rate and what you should be running the game on for your video card
  • butterfly27255butterfly27255 Posts: 50 Member
    I run the sims 4 great on my computer at the max level. Yet I have noticed that after the sims season update my game has been lagging very badly. I am guessing since it's a new game expansion some bugs will arrive and I am sure EA is working on a patch for all of these problems. The dig sites or rocks have been replaced at least in my world with plant soils, and my game has been lagging a lot. I have also noticed the sims acting more weirder than usual like eating and drinking while on the toilet. Oh!! wait that's a sim thing :D
  • butterfly27255butterfly27255 Posts: 50 Member
    I run the sims 4 great on my computer at the max level. Yet I have noticed that after the sims season update my game has been lagging very badly. I am guessing since it's a new game expansion some bugs will arrive and I am sure EA is working on a patch for all of these problems. The dig sites or rocks have been replaced at least in my world with plant soils, and my game has been lagging a lot. I have also noticed the sims acting more weirder than usual like eating and drinking while on the toilet. Oh!! wait that's a sim thing :D

    I've just noticed this post was from 2016. My scattered brain did not read the date.
  • Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 548 Member
    The sims 4 lags a lot for me too. I play on my cousin's laptop, and it's supposed to be for gaming, but the game is so slow when I play on big lots. I play with autonomy off and when I tell my sims to do something, my sims freeze and take forever to do the action. I also can't pause the game sometimes. Like I press the pause button, but it doesn't stick and I have to press it at least 4 or 5 times to make it work. I've checked my fps when playing, and on some lots it is only 30-40, but then it drops to around 15 all the time.

    I really like playing on large lots, but it's getting annoying to deal with the game being so slow.
    I've done the basic fixes like repairing the game, resetting the sims 4 folder, clearing the cache, and I make sure that my sims have almost nothing in their inventories. Also I always keep origin turned off in game.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 147,831 Member
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    The sims 4 lags a lot for me too. I play on my cousin's laptop, and it's supposed to be for gaming, but the game is so slow when I play on big lots. I play with autonomy off and when I tell my sims to do something, my sims freeze and take forever to do the action. I also can't pause the game sometimes. Like I press the pause button, but it doesn't stick and I have to press it at least 4 or 5 times to make it work. I've checked my fps when playing, and on some lots it is only 30-40, but then it drops to around 15 all the time.

    I really like playing on large lots, but it's getting annoying to deal with the game being so slow.
    I've done the basic fixes like repairing the game, resetting the sims 4 folder, clearing the cache, and I make sure that my sims have almost nothing in their inventories. Also I always keep origin turned off in game.

    Hello
    Check also to make sure that your graphics drivers are up to date.
    Playing in windowed mode may also help.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 147,831 Member
    I run the sims 4 great on my computer at the max level. Yet I have noticed that after the sims season update my game has been lagging very badly. I am guessing since it's a new game expansion some bugs will arrive and I am sure EA is working on a patch for all of these problems. The dig sites or rocks have been replaced at least in my world with plant soils, and my game has been lagging a lot. I have also noticed the sims acting more weirder than usual like eating and drinking while on the toilet. Oh!! wait that's a sim thing :D

    Hello
    You may like to start a new thread about the dig spots on the AHQ EA site and post feedback there.
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/The-Sims-4-Bugs
  • Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 548 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    The sims 4 lags a lot for me too. I play on my cousin's laptop, and it's supposed to be for gaming, but the game is so slow when I play on big lots. I play with autonomy off and when I tell my sims to do something, my sims freeze and take forever to do the action. I also can't pause the game sometimes. Like I press the pause button, but it doesn't stick and I have to press it at least 4 or 5 times to make it work. I've checked my fps when playing, and on some lots it is only 30-40, but then it drops to around 15 all the time.

    I really like playing on large lots, but it's getting annoying to deal with the game being so slow.
    I've done the basic fixes like repairing the game, resetting the sims 4 folder, clearing the cache, and I make sure that my sims have almost nothing in their inventories. Also I always keep origin turned off in game.

    Hello
    Check also to make sure that your graphics drivers are up to date.
    Playing in windowed mode may also help.

    @rosemow How do I check my graphics drivers?
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 147,831 Member
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    rosemow wrote: »
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    The sims 4 lags a lot for me too. I play on my cousin's laptop, and it's supposed to be for gaming, but the game is so slow when I play on big lots. I play with autonomy off and when I tell my sims to do something, my sims freeze and take forever to do the action. I also can't pause the game sometimes. Like I press the pause button, but it doesn't stick and I have to press it at least 4 or 5 times to make it work. I've checked my fps when playing, and on some lots it is only 30-40, but then it drops to around 15 all the time.

    I really like playing on large lots, but it's getting annoying to deal with the game being so slow.
    I've done the basic fixes like repairing the game, resetting the sims 4 folder, clearing the cache, and I make sure that my sims have almost nothing in their inventories. Also I always keep origin turned off in game.

    Hello
    Check also to make sure that your graphics drivers are up to date.
    Playing in windowed mode may also help.

    @rosemow How do I check my graphics drivers?

    Hello
    Go to the laptop maker’s website, search for your laptop model in the support section of thread site, then download/install the updated drivers if needed.
    This link may also help you
    https://help.ea.com/en-gb/help/pc/finding-devices-and-updating-drivers/
  • Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 548 Member
    I updated the drivers and I'm still having problems. I played for 3 hours today, and the fps was under 20 almost the entire time.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 147,831 Member
    edited June 2018
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    I updated the drivers and I'm still having problems. I played for 3 hours today, and the fps was under 20 almost the entire time.

    Hello
    Could you please post your DxDiag info here.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report

    After you have saved your dxdiag info on your computer, go to the pastebin site https://pastebin.com
    and copy/paste the dxdiag info into the white box there. Press the button to create the new paste/pastebin text file.
    Then post here in this thread the web address of your dxdiag info that is on the pastebin site.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 147,831 Member
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    I hope I did this right. https://pastebin.com/MHB0YFBj

    Hello
    Your computer should be handling the game without lagging. Turn on vsync in game options, if you haven’t already done that. If your sims live in SanMyshuno, move them to another world and see if that helps.
    Try testing in a fresh new save game and see if the issues occur there also.
  • Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 548 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    I hope I did this right. https://pastebin.com/MHB0YFBj

    Hello
    Your computer should be handling the game without lagging. Turn on vsync in game options, if you haven’t already done that. If your sims live in SanMyshuno, move them to another world and see if that helps.
    Try testing in a fresh new save game and see if the issues occur there also.

    My sims live in Willow Creek and Windenburg and I already have vsync on. I'll try starting a new save game tomorrow and see if it helps.
  • vktaetaevktaetae Posts: 18 New Member
    So.. I tried the game with the 60 fps thing and it lagged even more. And it already lags in CAS and also build. Of course also in game play. I updated my drivers as I said and I don't know what to try....:(
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 147,831 Member
    vktaetae wrote: »
    So.. I tried the game with the 60 fps thing and it lagged even more. And it already lags in CAS and also build. Of course also in game play. I updated my drivers as I said and I don't know what to try....:(

    Hello
    Try starting a fresh new save game and see if the lagging issues occur there also.
  • Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 548 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    I hope I did this right. https://pastebin.com/MHB0YFBj

    Hello
    Your computer should be handling the game without lagging. Turn on vsync in game options, if you haven’t already done that. If your sims live in SanMyshuno, move them to another world and see if that helps.
    Try testing in a fresh new save game and see if the issues occur there also.

    I still have problems in a new save game. I think part of the problem is the house where my sims live. I started a new save, and it was fine until I moved them back into their old house. Then as soon as I placed the house down the fps dropped from 60 to between 30-40 and the game got slower.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 147,831 Member
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    rosemow wrote: »
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    I hope I did this right. https://pastebin.com/MHB0YFBj

    Hello
    Your computer should be handling the game without lagging. Turn on vsync in game options, if you haven’t already done that. If your sims live in SanMyshuno, move them to another world and see if that helps.
    Try testing in a fresh new save game and see if the issues occur there also.

    I still have problems in a new save game. I think part of the problem is the house where my sims live. I started a new save, and it was fine until I moved them back into their old house. Then as soon as I placed the house down the fps dropped from 60 to between 30-40 and the game got slower.

    Sometimes certain homes can cause issues. It may be best to have your sims live in another home if the home is causing issues, If there is anything on the roofing, it would also be best to remove it and see if that helps. SimGuruNick posted about doing that to help build mode lagginess.
  • vktaetaevktaetae Posts: 18 New Member
    > @rosemow said:
    > vktaetae wrote: »
    >
    > So.. I tried the game with the 60 fps thing and it lagged even more. And it already lags in CAS and also build. Of course also in game play. I updated my drivers as I said and I don't know what to try....:(
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello
    > Try starting a fresh new save game and see if the lagging issues occur there also.

    I did try that and there is no difference whatsoever..
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top