Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What files can you delete in TS3

To free up some space and maybe make the game run faster

Comments

• AlyxMSAlyxMS Posts: 22 Member
    Enter My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3

Delete:
    CASPartCache.package
    compositorCache.package
    scriptCache.package
    simCompositorCache.package
    socialCache.package
    ScriptErrorXXXXX.xml if you use Scripted mod like Nraas.

Do not delete userPresets.package, it contains all the CASt styles you saved.

Enter WorldCaches folder, delete everything.
    Enter saves, rename any deleted save you wanted to retrieve from XXX.save.backup to XXX.save, delete the rest of folders that ends with .backup.
    Enter DCCache, delete missingdeps.idx and dcc.ent if present.
    Enter SigsCache, delete any .bin files.
    Enter SaveSims, delete downloadedSims.index
    Enter IGACache, delete everything.

You may delete all the .package files in Thumbnails folder and all the thumb_*.png in FeaturedItems folder to clean up the thumb nails for items.
    The game will re-generate the thumb nails when you browse the buy catalog for the next time. But it may slow your game down for 1-2 minutes.
    The only point of doing this is to clean up the thumb nails of third party items that you unintalled.

Personally I've written a bat file to clean up my caches:
    You may want to write make something like this to clean up your caches easier.
    Note WorldCaches folder does not appear in certain operating systems, if you are using my version of the batch file it will delete all files in the "The Sims 3" folder. You may want to delete the cd WorldCaches del /Q *.* cd .. lines or create a empty WorldCaches folder.

@echo off
    color F0
    echo Will clean all caches files and save backups, make sure to retrieve all deleted saves you wanted.
    pause
    cd %userprofile%
    cd documents
    cd Electronic Arts
    cd The Sims 3
    del CASPartCache.package
    del compositorCache.package
    del scriptCache.package
    del simCompositorCache.package
    del socialCache.package
    del ScriptError*.xml
    cd WorldCaches
    del /Q *.*
    cd ..
    cd saves
    dir /ad/b *.backup > temp.txt
    for /f "delims=" %%i in (temp.txt) do rd /s /q "%%i"
    del temp.txt
    cd ..
    cd DCCache
    del missingdeps.idx
    del dcc.ent
    cd ..
    cd Downloads
    del *.bin
    cd ..
    cd SigsCache
    del *.bin
    cd ..
    cd SavedSims
    del Downloadedsims.index
    cd ..
    cd IGACache
    del /Q *.*
    cd ..

echo Cache cleaning complete, press any key to clean thumbnails, else close the window.
    pause>nul
    echo Cleaning thumbnials...
    cd Thumbnails
    del *.package
    cd ..
    cd FeaturedItems
    del thumb_*.png
    echo Complete, press any key to exit.
    pause > nul
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Anyone else have some input?
  • JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    DCBackup. Delete all except ccmerged.package
    Jimil wrote: »

Wow I had 1,180 items in there, not counting the one you said not to delete.

Well, technically, it's not required to do so. You could probably do that every 2 weeks to a month. Or never.

Well, technically, it's not required to do so. You could probably do that every 2 weeks to a month. Or never.

Is that all you can safely delete. I'm trying to make my game run faster. To completely open the game (until I get to my Sim) takes about 8 minutes. I have an Alienware laptop (about 2 years old) with the top of the line graphics card and plenty of room, etc. hubby got me this computer just for the playing of TS3 and now I have TS4 on it. I have no mods or cc in TS3 and very limited in TS4.
    Well it only takes me 4 mins. even with a 200mb worth of mods (not including launcher downloads). And I guess so. At first I thought it was just the four cache files that you need to delete. Never knew you could delete more as the first poster above has given.
  • Suenell73Suenell73 Posts: 83 Member
    > @catmando830 said:
    > Jimil wrote: »
    >
    > catmando830 wrote: »
    >
    > Jimil wrote: »
    >
    > DCBackup. Delete all except ccmerged.package
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Wow I had 1,180 items in there, not counting the one you said not to delete.
    >
    >
    >
    > Well, technically, it's not required to do so. You could probably do that every 2 weeks to a month. Or never.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Is that all you can safely delete. I'm trying to make my game run faster. To completely open the game (until I get to my Sim) takes about 8 minutes. I have an Alienware laptop (about 2 years old) with the top of the line graphics card and plenty of room, etc. hubby got me this computer just for the playing of TS3 and now I have TS4 on it. I have no mods or cc in TS3 and very limited in TS4.

I had a 17" Alienware laptop & it wouldn't stop overheating, even crashing during the middle of gameplay. I even bought a huge aluminum chillpad with 3 fans on it but it eventually wouldn't turn on & I lost everything on it. 8'(
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited January 2015
    Edit: Oops... Old thread but I will keep this here anyways.

Just like someone mentioned above, you can clear cache. This will help clear some junk out of your game to hopefully make it run better. I do this everytime I uninstall content from my game including mods and CC.
    Cache Files
    To delete your cache files, navigate to The Sims 3 in DOCUMENTS folder.
    TS3_docs_path.png
    Inside, will be a number of cache files. Delete any or all of these files you have. Yes, they would be re-generated when you next start Launcher or the game, that is by design.

If you have installed or do activities related to remove
    CAS parts that appear in Create-A-Sim - CasPartCache.package
    New objects that would appear in Buy/Build mode - compositorCache.package
    Mods or Hacks - scriptCache.package
    New Sims, default skins - simCompositorCache.package
    Simport-related (maybe?) and other social data, if you use the wall to integrate with your MyPage on thesims3.com site - socialCache.package
    via http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Sims_3_Delete_Cache_Files

You can also install a couple of NRaas mods to help with lag in game. Not everyone likes to use mods so I can link them if you're interested.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    @catmando830‌

DCBackup will free up space on a hard drive. The cache files return as soon as you launch a game again. Their size varies but they always come back.

DCBackup takes up a huge amount of space. Just make sure you don't delete ccmerged or you'll have to reinstall your premium content.

Whenever you install something in your game you'll need to go check your DCBACKUP again.