Re: Idea to improve the bug report form

by DonroaAkashu

Original Post

Idea to improve the bug report form

★★ Pro

Sometimes bug reports are not very descriptive or don't define how to reproduce the bug in a lot of detail. I'm sure this is often due to the OP not being that experienced in reporting bugs and/or they don't know how to compose a good bug report. I've even looked at some reports where the description was so vague that I was unsure whether the OP was talking about the same bug that I was experiencing so I couldn't tell if I should click 'Me too' or not.

To avoid this, I thought it might be helpful to showcase or link within the report an example bug report for reference. It should also include reasons for why the answers on that example bug report are considered good. Sometimes it's easiest to follow an example rather than just answer an open question. Wink I'm pretty sure that getting more descriptive bug reports makes life easier for both devs and us players. Standard smile

Message 1 of 10 (995 Views)

Champion

@siirysiir , I love your suggestion!  🙌  You are right in that some people might be unsure how best to fill out a bug report.  This could help them feel more comfortable and also help those who look at the bug reports!  Win-Win situation!   And of course, like you said, it will help others with similar problems! Angel

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 10 (937 Views)

★★★★ Expert

I agree on everything  said in this thread.  The questions in the template are too vague to produce any detailed answers, and the most important question - on what triggered the issue - is often answered with a question mark.

It would aid an idea of transparancy if it were more clearly expressed on the bug forum what the bug reports are used for, and how they best are to be interpreted; both for the player filling them in, and the players wanting to click Me Too, as well as help narrowing the issue down. 

To clarify, I mean official information; from EA, the Community Managers, the Sim Gurus and/ or The Sims Team/developer team. 

Message 3 of 10 (888 Views)

★★ Pro

Glad to see other simmers agreeing, I sure hope this becomes reality! Standard smile

Message 4 of 10 (859 Views)

★ Guide

I really love the ideas.  We do need easier ways to report bugs.

Message 5 of 10 (827 Views)

★★★★ Expert

An EA representative said in this thread at the official sims forum, that the limitations of the bug report are clear, which, despite it not being changed right now, is somewhat positive:
https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17835236/#Comment_17835236

Message 6 of 10 (684 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@siirysiir Some very nice ideas! I agree that the bug Report form could use some love. When filling one out myself I've felt like I'd just answered that question &/or was unsure if I was providing exactly what they were looking for. Obviously over time I've felt more confident that I was clarifying correctly, but for a new player or reporter I can see how some of the form could be confusing. Examples would be great (like where to find your game version!). Giving my 'Me Too' and 'XP' on this one.

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 7 of 10 (669 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@siirysiir LOL! A "Bug report" for a bug report... I can now say I've seen it all...
Message 8 of 10 (664 Views)

★★★★ Expert

A bit odd that it is needed, I agree.

Message 9 of 10 (661 Views)

★ Apprentice

I was directed here by someone from The Sims Forums...

I just wanted to say my personal take on this.

My (gaming) Background: Apart from The Sims, I also play League of Legends and The Elder Scrolls Online. Now... in ESO (The Elder Scrolls Online) they come up of maybe 3 to 5 DLCs and 1 chapter a year. DLCs are small added content to the game with lots and lots of gameplay added. Chapters on the other hand is a major downloadable content. Think of it as DLCs = Game Packs + Stuff Packs, while Chapters = Expansion Packs. Anyways, so at the very least a month before any of these addons launch, they enable the Public Test Servers (PTS) for everyone-- and I mean EVERYONE to play the game and test not only the new DLC/Chapter but also all the previous ones. Basically players are like alternate QAs. At the same time, in their FORUMS the devs open a dedicated forum thread for players who played the PTS to report any bug/glitch they have experienced. They also have a dedicated team who is constantly checking this forum thread and you get a reply from the Devs not a day longer-- well, at least the bugs and glitches are collated and then they post their reply on that same thread. It really is a great experience for both the ESO community and the devs. Of course, not everyone is happy and some are rude. But what I really appreciate about Zenimax (ESO devs) is that they are very professional and they hear out even the rudest and vilest players. In fact they have invited their most toxic youtubers/streamers to their HQ and listen to what they have to say. I am not even exaggerating. These youtubers have released memes on youtube about their game, they have made podcasts and cussing them, rightfully so too, when ESO launched it was worse than The Sims 4's launch was. By the way, ESO and The Sims 4 launched at the same year. Now ESO is one of THE best MMO-RPG. 

Anyways, this is what I think can help track bugs and glitches. I understand that The Sims 4 cannot provide players a server so we can test out the game. That's totally fine. But I think there should be a thread on the forums for players to report the bugs and glitches, and that there should be a dedicated Maxis team to monitor this page. In ESO, they release a different thread once the new content launches, and players further report bug and glitches that weren't fixed post-launch. And once these bugs and glitches are tagged, they are fixed within an hour or so, a day or two at most if it's complicated. So yeah, I honestly think that it would be very helpful if Maxis open a forum thread for players to report the bugs and glitches. For one, it's easier for players to just go the forums and just report these bugs/glitches, I have reported a couple of bugs here, and honestly it's not very intuitive, it's easier for someone who is less experience in creating a ticket to just post a reply to something. Also, I think it is better for players to report the bugs and glitches of an Expansion or Game or Stuff Pack under one thread, rather than looking through the different threads here (or on the forums). And hopefully, just like ESO we get hotfix on these reported bugs/glitches the soonest, and not like a few weeks after. Because let's be honest, there ARE bugs and glitches since Get to Work that still haven't been address to this day. Making it reporting here in very discouraging. 

Message 10 of 10 (634 Views)