Re: Copying my (real life) Wife's Sim into my game when she moves in?

by EA_Mai

Original Post

Copying my (real life) Wife's Sim into my game when she moves in?

★ Apprentice

Hello,

My (real life) wife and I are both really enjoying Sims Mobile. We have been pursuing a relationship with each other in each others' games with the hopes of moving in and doing the whole in-game family thing.

But I just read that if I ask my wife's Sim to move in to my game, it erases the Sim from her game and all of her progress? What the heck? There's no way this is true.
We've both spent a ton of time playing this game so far, why would we want to lose progress?

I can't find any video, screen shots, or concrete information on this so I can't figure out if this is real or not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 6 (1,101 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
EA app Team

Hi @GentlemanYeti,

Welcome to the forums!

When you ask a Sim owned by another player to move in, that player gets a notification letting them know about the moving request. If accepted, the Sim moves from that player's house to yours. You are the new owner of that Sim.

If the Sim would get copied, then the Sim would live in both games and be able to interact with themselves? That would be a bit weird for them. Like in real life, each Sim is unique and cloning machines are not within reach, you will have to decide in which house (or whose game) to live Standard smile

Another option would be syncronizing both devices with the same account so both of you can play the same game/house. However, only one of you would be able to be playing at the same time.

Whatever you decide - happy family!
-Mai

Message 2 of 6 (1,087 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi @EA_Mai,

I appreciate your response. I thought this would be what you would say, and I unfortunately do not think it's a very good excuse. I don't mean that as a slight against you, but I think the developers can do better.

It would not be very difficult for the game to track which users have a received a copy of that Sim, and ensure that the two Sims never interact. You would not even need a constantly updating internet connection to do it. When you copy the Sim over to a new game, the game now just marks the original Sim and it will now never appear in my game. Currently I see my wife's Sim at social spaces, and my assumption is the game is pulling from a pool of random Sims to populate my world. Simply remove her Sim from that pool and it solves the problem in my game. 

But what about her game? Just as easy. When a copy of her Sim is created, her game is programmed to not recognize the existence of that Sim. So, when Sims from my game go to visit her game world, her Sim just would not be included in that. Again, not that complicated. 

The only slight complication is a third party's game, and I still think this could have a straight-forward work-around. Let's say we both have the same friend, let's call her Susan. As of right now, Susan can see my sim and my wife's sim in her world. When the duplicate is created, it is essentially created as an offline duplicate that does not interact with anyone that might share any connection with my wife's original Sim. So the original Sim still travels from world-to-world receiving stickers and meeting friends, while the duplicate would either remain entirely local or simply travel to other games that she would not see herself.

Really there are multiple ways around this issue. So to say "Oops they might see themselves." just implies that you guys did not think this through.

Because honestly, why in the world would anyone want to let their Sim move in with another Sim? If I spend dozens of hours on a Sim, why would I want to give that up to some stranger's game to never see my Sim again? I can't imagine many people actually want to do that. I'm sure you guys will fix this issue in the future, but for now, I've kind of lost all interest in playing the game knowing that I can't really play the way I want to play without basically ruining my wife's game or her ruining mine. Mind-boggling decision to do this. I look forward to the fix. Until then, there are other mobile games that do not punish you for wanting to socialize with others.

Message 3 of 6 (1,058 Views)

★ Apprentice
One additional comment...

Another "solution" would be for us to simply create each others' Sims in our game worlds. A bit annoying considering we spent a full hour in Sim creation mode and we don't really want to do that again, but that would allow us to create the Sims we want.

However, I think this would honestly be worse for each others' games than the solutions I provided above. By the game controlling and being aware of which Sims are a copy of each other, it can prevent duplicate Sims from appearing in game worlds. However, if we each create identical copies of each others' Sims in our respective game worlds, then there will no doubt be instances of a Sim interacting with themselves because, for all intents and purposes, those two Sims are completely unique.

My Sim could be best friends with the version of my Sim that my wife creates. Or our hypothetical friend, Susan, would see two of me and two of my wife in her game world and not know who is who until she taps on the Sim and sees who the user is.

This alternate solution would be waaaay more confusing and the game would not be able to work around this because, as far as the game is concerned, me and the me my wife creates are different Sims.
Message 4 of 6 (1,057 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hey @GentlemanYeti,

I completely understand where you're coming from with this situation.

You're saying that when you ask your Wife's Sim to move in with you, she should still have control over the Sim and their actions.

However, this is not the case.

When you ask a Sim to move in with you, you are basically accepting another Sim into your Household, meaning you are taking over that Sim and are responsible for them. Your wife would no longer have control over that Sim or their actions.

That's just how the game works, unfortunately there is not a way to duplicate these Sims so your wife still has control when you ask her to move in.

I apologize that it's not possible for this to happen.

★ Apprentice

Hi, @iluminatethesky

I appreciate you taking the time to respond but you literally have offered no additional information than what @EA_Mai already gave.

Please see my above responses for why I think this is bad game design.

Message 6 of 6 (988 Views)