Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

sims hangout

it would be nice to be able to talk to other sims fans. sorry but the forums are not "fast enough" for me. i'll post something and barely get any views or even less responses, but i keep trying to put myself out there. I am the only person i know in my real life that plays the sims. that sucks when all you want to do is involve your friends and family in what you do most of the day. but oh well. so i'm just wondering if there are sims groups anywhere in america where people hangout out in talk about the sims. my boyfriend play warcraft and i'm jealous when he can go over to a friends house and like 10 or 15 are there all playing the game and having fun. if physically meeting up is asking too much, are there any online hangouts, chat rooms, etc where people just talk about sims. i would appreciate any info you have.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    MissCeeMissCee Posts: 1,309 Member
    edited December 2012
    SimGreetings imjenjoseph, just a thought on your post.

Warcraft is a very "public" game, whereas Sims is more a "private" game. What I mean is Sims sandbox style of gaming is not structured for group play as games such as Warcraft. Generally, Sims is a more personal structuring of characters, world, and situations dependent on a single person's gaming style and offers us a respite from social interactions and demands. Many simmers enjoy and prefer that we can relax/play all on our own, without anyone else's input.

To some people the Sims' lack of graphic violence, clothing, furnishings, and open story lines make Sims too much of a "kiddie game". I haven't delved into multi-player games, but I play HOGS, RP, Time Mgmt., Card, Board, and other genres online, but I come back to Sims again and again to just have fun w/o crises, timers, point tallys, penalties, and goals.

Simmers are a broad range of ages, cultures, races, etc. Some simmers choose not to actively share their simming adventures because it's not just a kid's game that others may think it is. People who don't Sim, just aren't aware of the almost endless facets which can be utilized to aid expression in story telling, movie making, avatar design, fashion, magazine layouts, architecture, decorating, and landscaping.

I'm a retired senior. This year I was "discovered" simming by a nephew on my husband's side of the family. He was blown away. He's single and in his 20's, his sister is married, has kids and in her 30's; they both Sim, lurk, and comment on the Forums. So we've connected on the Forums and didn't even know. :shock:. What I'm suggesting is that perhaps there may be people you already know who are in fact Simmers

Have you asked among friends/acquaintances/co-workers/neighbors? You may find some like-minded that either want to learn Simming, or want to meet/discuss building a SimWorld, crafting a group Challenge, or participate in a role playing adventure other than Simport.

I offer a word of caution about on-line hangouts and sharing personal info; be very careful. Even in Sims, Evil traits manifest; and in RL even more heinously so.

Take Care of You. I hope you safely find the type of gaming interaction you're seeking.

Blessings,
    MissCee

<3Blessings,
    MissCee
  • Options
    pilikalewepilikalewe Posts: 18
    edited December 2012
    Hey imjenjoseph, I know what you mean. As much fun as the game is, being able to share it with other people can be just as enjoyable.

There are many sites out there that might have what you're looking for. I usually see them advertised in forum signatures, so maybe visit a section of these boards that interests you (like modeling or building) and look for places that are advertising. Or try a google search. Both are good options. 8)

That being said, MissCee brings up an important point...
    MissCee wrote:
    I offer a word of caution about on-line hangouts and sharing personal info; be very careful. Even in Sims, Evil traits manifest; and in RL even more heinously so.

I was a member of one of the many Sims hangouts a few years ago, and unfortunately what I quoted is quite true. It seems like common sense to say "be careful on the internet", but it's also easy to share information when you feel like you're among friends. It was an eye-opening experience to see how out of control some people can get.

Good luck with your search. I hope you find what you're looking for, but if you don't at least these forums will still be here (however slow and glitchy they may be). :lol:
  • Options
    imjenjosephimjenjoseph Posts: 33
    edited December 2012
    personal info? not a chance, i don't even have a facebook page, how many people can say that nowadays?... and yes, i ask EVERYONE about sims, it is usually the second question after "what's your name?" all i am asking is when i say "motherlode", it would be nice to talk to someone who knows what i mean. i'm not talking about making friends. i have enough of those. just someone who shares my common interest.

at this point i'm posting in forums hoping someone replies back, speaking to someone who i will never speak to again. sorry but it sucks after a while. :( i am dying for a consistent circle of sim fans.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    thanks for all of your responses !!!
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    edited December 2012
    Hi imjenjoseph. I understand what you are saying. A certain amount of social interaction was introduced with the Showtime ep. You can add friends and comment back and forth, etc. That probably isn't exactly what you had in mind, but it's a start. The kind of interaction you seem to be talking about occurs between Simmers who have socialized on these boards, or other Sims forum boards (google for them or check other people's siggies), for a while and feel comfortable with each other. Takes time to build friendships like that. As MissCee said, this is a very personal game and not given to the kind of "instant" social interaction you get with mmo's like WoW.
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited December 2012
    Just to say:

Never drop the word motherlode in a miningtown if you don't want the rest of the evening listening to stories about how rich the mines are. ^^

Trust me, there are places in the world where you're talking about different things using the same words. :lol:
  • Options
    slamondaslamonda Posts: 1,357 Member
    edited December 2012
    i know what you mean,i played sims online until it shut done,so i do miss the social aspect of the game i'v tried diffrent games for social interaction like wow ect but do not enjoy the kill and dying part and tons of rude players,so i use these forums to talk about my simming experences,goodluck on your hunt
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited December 2012

These forums used to be more active before the facebook facelift we got to our "my page" with the Showtime update. It used to be what it seems you are looking for. Now you need to join in one of the "cliquey" threads here or acquire some "friends" to communicate with via your "my page".

• Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited December 2012
    cwaddell wrote:
    These forums used to be more active before the facebook facelift we got to our "my page" with the Showtime update. It used to be what it seems you are looking for. Now you need to join in one of the "cliquey" threads here or acquire some "friends" to communicate with via your "my page".

Well said.
  • Options
    annay49annay49 Posts: 253
    edited December 2012
    I have a chat room attached to my forum. We used to have weekly chats there about the game. I'd love to start them up again if there was interest.

Take a look at the link in my signature. It's very secure and sharing of private information is not allowed :)
  • Options
    hollynoelhollynoel Posts: 2,242 New Member
    edited December 2012
    You'd be surprised at how many people you know play The Sims. I asked a few of my best friends and turns out three people played The Sims 3.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    cwaddell wrote:

Well said.

Agreed. :thumbup:

To be completely honest, the only reason I finally registered my games was because I was interested in trying out some of the share features and I need to be signed in here to do it. (Also, I realized how many registration rewards I was missing out on, lol.) I love to create things in-game and missed being able to chat about it. It had its negatives, but I miss the layout and feel of the TS2 boards. I felt a much stronger sense of community there. I've read these forums over the years and sometimes... wow. :?

It doesn't help that I've been trying to accept some friend requests all day and my page keeps glitching out.

annay49 - I love the look of your site! When I did a hangout search for jenjoseph earlier, I didn't see yours. There are like a million out there and 99% of them are super sketchy. Yours looks really nice though. I might have to take another look if you're currently accepting new members. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    annay49 - I love the look of your site! When I did a hangout search for jenjoseph earlier, I didn't see yours. There are like a million out there and 99% of them are super sketchy. Yours looks really nice though. I might have to take another look if you're currently accepting new members. :)

Sure :)

My site has been quiet for a while, but we're in the process of publishing a magazine, and like I said, i'd love to get the chat room back up and running, we used to have almost daily chats in there about our game. My sites a member based run site, so if theres interest I do it! Go ahead and register, I'm always accepting members.

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited December 2012
    hollynoel wrote:
    You'd be surprised at how many people you know play The Sims. I asked a few of my best friends and turns out three people played The Sims 3.

Yea I'm a closet simmer and only people on here know I play and my family ofcourse but I'm about to tell some people I work with I'm a sims player because I know it's going to come up what did you get for christmas? I'm going to tell them and one of the gifts was a $20 gift certificate to Gamestop. I'm then going to tell them I play the sims 3 and play myself as a sim. :wink:
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    annay49 wrote:
    Sure :)

My site has been quiet for a while, but we're in the process of publishing a magazine, and like I said, i'd love to get the chat room back up and running, we used to have almost daily chats in there about our game. My sites a member based run site, so if theres interest I do it! Go ahead and register, I'm always accepting members.

Awesome, will do! It'd be cool to see that site take off. There are so many out there it can be overwhelming, but that means there's interest! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Sure :) I'll be in my sites chat room for the next 10 hours or so, so if anyone wants to join in go ahead!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Wow, it is really nice to be able to chat instead of just post on a forum. It's too bad there isn't one here, but I'm sure it would be impossible to moderate.

If anybody is looking to try one out, annay49 has a great setup at simscollaborative.com. I'm speaking from experience since we're using it right now. :)
  • Options
    Eden777Eden777 Posts: 1,263 Member
    edited January 2013
    Lots of good forums out there.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    excellent, i'll check out the collaborative site you have, thanks for the info! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    @ annay41 and @eden777 your sites are great! @eden777 i think i will be downloading all of your sims,lol
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    sounds good!
  • Options
    Eden777Eden777 Posts: 1,263 Member
    edited December 2012
    @ annay41 and @eden777 your sites are great! @eden777 i think i will be downloading all of your sims,lol
    Thank you :)
  • Options
    vgaddiction2259vgaddiction2259 Posts: 506
    edited December 2012
    I kind of agree with you. I play both the Sims and WoW, and the only one who I know plays both games is my step-mother.