Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who else likes adopting?

I just love adopting in The Sims 3. There are so many haters going on about how they're "ugly" or don't have the same genetics as the parents, but that's what to love about it. Thinking them "ugly" is very subjective, as the sims you create are the one's you think are attractive. Sometimes it just so happens the sims I've adopted have grown into beautiful/hunky men and women.

While it's amusing to play around with genetics, sometimes the randomness of adoption adds spice and a whole new dimension to the game. If adopted as babies, you don't have a clue what they'll look like as grown ups. That makes it all the more interesting.

I've always wanted an option to adopt in a foreign sims "country". In World Aventures there's basically Egypt, France, and China. A couple (or single) could make a trip to adopt in foreign land

Opinions/Stories/Ideas on adoption?

Comments

• MouetteSheridanMouetteSheridan Posts: 441 Member
    edited December 2012
    I honestly haven't tried it much - I used to do it in the Sims 2, but I don't know that I've ever even used the adoption option in Sims 3. Hmm, maybe something to try. An Adoption Legacy :P
  • EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    edited December 2012
    There's an 'official' adoptacy with rules posted in the Stories and Legacies forum. It's interesting you bring this up, though. I've been toying around with the idea of making an 'orphanage' with a couple who 'can't have kids'. They'd adopt several children, raise them to young adults, then send them out into the world. Something like that anyway.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    edited December 2012
    it's better than procreating them, then age them up and send them out into the real simworld, that the parents are not biologically attached to them, if ya get my drift! :)
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited December 2012
    I let my sim adopt a child once and he was just plain ugly even when he grew into an adult so I moved him out with my sim's ex :twisted: :lol:
  • NotSoLuckyNotSoLucky Posts: 4,682 Member
    edited December 2012
    What randomness?

Every single adoption has all their facial sliders set to 0.

Thats why they are ugly and look the same.

Not necessarily ugly, but they get so annoying seeing them that I think it is ugly now.

All EA generated townies have the same facial genetics.

Thats why people dont like them.
    edited December 2012
    It's not necessarily ugly. They can have mostly attractive features (from the premade noses, eyes, mouths, etc.) but they will be plain and boring. I've had very cute IFs for example but their sliders were all at 0. If I was doing a genetic legacy, I wouldn't adopt but if I was doing something with the sole purpose of adopting, I wouldn't care about the bland genetics as it wouldn't really be about the genetics to me (and I'm generally ALL about the genetics but I could put that aside for something like this).

All that said, I don't know why they don't have a way to randomize the features more on townies (and IFs, genies from lamps, adopted kids, etc) so the sliders aren't all at 0. Perhaps so they don't end up with weird extremes. I don't know.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • kitandraekitandrae Posts: 1,081 New Member
    edited December 2012
    When I want to adopt i make my Sims befriend a sim in town who had a child a few days before becoming an elder and get a good relationship then add the kid to the house hold a day before the parent die. That way i save a legacy :3
  • KirstyLKirstyL Posts: 974 Member
    edited December 2012
    I used to adopt a lot. My only complaint was them all having the same facial features, but I got a mod that lets me randomize faces, so I just do that as soon as they show up.
    imgad2-1.png
    edited December 2012
    KirstyL wrote:
    I used to adopt a lot. My only complaint was them all having the same facial features, but I got a mod that lets me randomize faces, so I just do that as soon as they show up.

What mod is that?
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • VihzelVihzel Posts: 734 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I like adopting because I don't always play heterosexual Sims.
  • HannahBerry10HannahBerry10 Posts: 105 Member
    edited December 2012
    To be honest I've never found adopted sims ugly all mine have looked fine and i've probably adopted 10 or so. Maybe I've just been lucky ;)
  • KirstyLKirstyL Posts: 974 Member
    edited December 2012
    EIisabetta wrote:
    KirstyL wrote:

What mod is that?

I have a couple so I'm not 100% sure what does what, but I think its Twallan's Story Progression. I press shift and click the sim, choose Edit Sim, go to the face section, and a second randomize button comes up just for faces. I do it as soon as they show up, because it restarts their ages to the beginning of their age group.
    imgad2-1.png
  • Miax0Miax0 Posts: 15,840 Member
    edited December 2012
    NotSoLucky wrote:
    What randomness?

Every single adoption has all their facial sliders set to 0.

Thats why they are ugly and look the same.

Not necessarily ugly, but they get so annoying seeing them that I think it is ugly now.

All EA generated townies have the same facial genetics.

Thats why people dont like them.
    tumblr_lvnc8rAL8D1r3zat8.gif

It's not that they're ugly it's that they all have the EA preset features, therefore look the same. It gets boring when all of your sims look the same all the time, having the same features and such.
  • EmmaBarbieEmmaBarbie Posts: 5,836 Member
    edited December 2012
    I've never adopted... :oops:
    Will some day though.
    You're too late.
    edited December 2012
    KirstyL wrote:
    EIisabetta wrote:
    KirstyL wrote:

What mod is that?

I have a couple so I'm not 100% sure what does what, but I think its Twallan's Story Progression. I press shift and click the sim, choose Edit Sim, go to the face section, and a second randomize button comes up just for faces. I do it as soon as they show up, because it restarts their ages to the beginning of their age group.

Probably not SP but maybe MC. I'll try that. I hate the pudding faces (they aren't necessarily ugly, just bland). The one thing that's kept me from doing a lot of adopting is not wanting my town genetics to all end up looking the same. My SP settings do not allow maids/bartenders/etc (who all have pudding faces) to breed.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • ernesdoernesdo Posts: 1,476 Member
    edited December 2012
    I adopt sometimes, not too much though. The last time I adopted, I adopted a girl child and she was a werewolf. Not what I was expecting, since I was playing my first human Sim family since getting Supernatural. :lol:
  • mikkimouse1978mikkimouse1978 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited December 2012
    I don't really adopt. I did in The Sims 2 once. I had created an elderly couple (well I created my parents) and they adopted. When the kid arrived he was a little black boy (I know not Politically correct). Anyway, that worked out well.

I've adopted once or twice in the Sims 3, but I can't remember what happened.
  • KhasilooluvKhasilooluv Posts: 527 Member
    edited December 2012
    I love the adoption feature :)
  • hollynoelhollynoel Posts: 2,242 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I just love adopting in The Sims 3. There are so many haters going on about how they're "ugly" or don't have the same genetics as the parents, but that's what to love about it. Thinking them "ugly" is very subjective, as the sims you create are the one's you think are attractive. Sometimes it just so happens the sims I've adopted have grown into beautiful/hunky men and women.

While it's amusing to play around with genetics, sometimes the randomness of adoption adds spice and a whole new dimension to the game. If adopted as babies, you don't have a clue what they'll look like as grown ups. That makes it all the more interesting.

I've always wanted an option to adopt in a foreign sims "country". In World Aventures there's basically Egypt, France, and China. A couple (or single) could make a trip to adopt in foreign land

Opinions/Stories/Ideas on adoption?

I also like adopting. I haven't done it very much recently because I play a legacy and adopting would pretty much be useless. I also like the idea of adopting foreign children.
  • shesclassyshesclassy Posts: 477 Member
    edited December 2012
    Is it possible for the facial sliders not to be set to 0 by default? Because all my townies look like they got hit in the face with a can opener...
  • hollynoelhollynoel Posts: 2,242 New Member
    edited December 2012
    shesclassy wrote:
    Is it possible for the facial sliders not to be set to 0 by default? Because all my townies look like they got hit in the face with a can opener...
    Lol! Picture please?
  • AMariseSAMariseS Posts: 2,458 Member
    edited December 2012
    I think it's a great option when I can't get a Sim into a relationship with someone or when I have gay Sims.

Last time I tried, there wasn't an option for anything other than Human. Maybe I'll try again soon (I have a partnerless Sim) & see if the baby/toddler/child is Supernatural. That'd be nice!

I've never noticed their faces. I don't alter my Sims much, just kinda keep 'em random from the beginning CAS (unless their features are too big for my liking)& marry in townies...
  • MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited December 2012
    I've never adopted.
  • Pippi1409Pippi1409 Posts: 271 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I haven't adopted but if they are ugly, just take them to the hospital and have plastic surgery. :lol:
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    edited December 2012
    I adopt all the time!

Of course, since my main household consists of seven males, four of which are married, it's an inevitability. (Unless I...did some magic with one of them. :lol: )

I don't mind. It doesn't matter what their kid looks like, it's still their kid.

I figure, the kid needs a home, so why not?
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)