Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University Speculation: Will weather work in University world? (Seasons)

Quick question. This is Seasons related (in a way). Firstly I think that University will be one new town with lots of campuses and places to visit like a coffee shops and random hang out spots.
How do you guys think they will combine University into the Sims 3? Will it be one town? Or a few new lots to place in your current world.

Also, will weather work in this new town or will it stop, like in the WA worlds how time has stopped? Is time stopped while in the university world?

I also hope they bring back hobbies or something similar so that they can expand on other EP's from the Sims 2 and make the game worth it.

Comments

• TheSimsBoi13TheSimsBoi13 Posts: 810 Member
    edited December 2012
    sam123 wrote:
    Quick question. This is Seasons related (in a way). Firstly I think that University will be one new town with lots of campuses and places to visit like a coffee shops and random hang out spots.
    How do you guys think they will combine University into the Sims 3? Will it be one town? Or a few new lots to place in your current world.

Also, will weather work in this new town or will it stop, like in the WA worlds how time has stopped? Is time stopped while in the university world?

I also hope they bring back hobbies or something similar so that they can expand on other EP's from the Sims 2 and make the game worth it.

I would hope that any additional worlds that we get with future EPs (University Included) will be enabled for Seasons. I think it would be a great feature for University, because classes could be cancelled (just like school for children, teens) if there is too much snow.
    Check out my tumblr @ http://www.thesimsboi.tumblr.com

Origin ID: TheSimsBoi13
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TheSimsBoi
  • COOLGAME8013COOLGAME8013 Posts: 3,090 Member
    edited December 2012
    seeing as how the university is releating only on the Simnation i'm sure weather will work. I'm not sure if other countrys will have universites but thats all being told when its finally reveiled
  • CrossEyedSimGirlCrossEyedSimGirl Posts: 305 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I hope so. Did weather work in TS2 University? I never had the EP.

Also, relating to this, do you think EA will create a new age group or will young adults go to college? I'm personally hoping for a "student" age group...
  • CaptainTHPS4CaptainTHPS4 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited December 2012
    My prediction is that University worlds will work the same as WA locations, so probably not. Hopefully it's not just placing lots in existing worlds because I don't have room for them. However, there's always the chance they'll change things up so that your student's parents aren't the exact same age as they were when he or she left home.

In TS2 I'm 99% sure it rained at university. It definitely did in the Bon Voyage locations. I remember one of my sims getting struck by lightning near the huge pirate ship in Twikkii Island (BTW, my spellchecker suggested replacing "Twikkii" with "🐸🐸🐸🐸." Just felt like sharing that). :lol:
    My YouTube Channel!
    youtube.com/IronSeagull
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited December 2012
    There might have been issues trying to incorporate weather into the WA worlds for some reason -- but since we've already got weather it should be easy to incorporate it into future towns/packs, including University. There might even be some sort of festival lot made available and students would be able to celebrate with a day off from classes.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • GREENEYAGREENEYA Posts: 7,796 Member
    edited December 2012
    There might have been issues trying to incorporate weather into the WA worlds for some reason -- but since we've already got weather it should be easy to incorporate it into future towns/packs, including University. There might even be some sort of festival lot made available and students would be able to celebrate with a day off from classes.

We have mods for weather in WA worlds. So it was not hard to add weather in WA worlds.

I do not understand why EA did not enabled weather in WA worlds. Moders managed to do it almost instantly after Seasons is realesed. :wink:
  • Nomad20Nomad20 Posts: 124 Member
    edited December 2012
    I recon they have to do the worlds like in WA, because if they didn't, your sims might as well start working and getting promoted. If you freeze time, you can add a sim week and give university graduates a head start.
    That said, I don't see why seasons can't be included anyway...
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,172 Member
    edited December 2012
    Sims 2 had all the weathers and seasons in the Uni neighbourhood.
    It needs to be a new subneighbourhood not just trying to add more lots into our overcrowded worlds .
    If they tried adding it into the towns we already have it will cause chaos , due to the fact most simmers at some time have redesigned or rebuilt on their town lots or placed extra lots in their towns which they would not want to lose .

I just hope they add a new age into the sims as i do not want YA's to spend all their time at Uni .
    Hopefully they might also add proper dating and meals in restaurants into Uni seeing how a lot of what was in Ts2 Uni is already in game in TS3 like the musical instruments
  • michellehilbrandmichellehilbrand Posts: 2,331 Member
    edited December 2012
    If they add it as a subhood, that is going to add a world of resources for modders. I wonder if they would be able to connect the worlds like they did in Sims 3. The Megahood was awesome and I still play it. I don't think there will be a question that there will be seasons in Uni. I cannot wait until January 8th for the (hopefully)unveiling.
  • PurpleRosesPurpleRoses Posts: 3,796 Member
    edited December 2012
    The reason why they didn't add weather to WA worlds is because it seems to make more sense. Why would it snow in Egypt? They do have Seasonal mods that can add seasons to those worlds.

Also, they had Seasons in TS2 Universtiy worlds, why not TS3?
    edited December 2012
    Nomad20 wrote:
    I recon they have to do the worlds like in WA, because if they didn't, your sims might as well start working and getting promoted. If you freeze time, you can add a sim week and give university graduates a head start.

Yes but moders enabled weather in WA world without any problems. So it was not difficult for EA to do the same.
  • lolzbrlolzbr Posts: 989 Member
    edited December 2012
    Weather worked in TS2, so I wouldn't understand why not. I would hope so.

However, if the University town (IF there even is a university town [but doubted that it would be incorporated in an open world) would be a sub-neighborhood, and in sub-neighborhoods of world adventures weather/seasons doesn't work.
    edited December 2012
    The reason why they didn't add weather to WA worlds is because it seems to make more sense. Why would it snow in Egypt? They do have Seasonal mods that can add seasons to those worlds.

Also, they had Seasons in TS2 Universtiy worlds, why not TS3?

They were able to add specific seasons to WA worlds. We are able to turn off specific seasons. So they were able to enable only Summer in Egypt for example. :wink:
  • Urosh1994Urosh1994 Posts: 2,425 Member
    edited December 2012
    There is no 'time' in adventure worlds. Sims don't age, they don't get older, they don't progress in time. They're basically stuck in another dimension. That's why weather doesn't work.

There is no seasons because there is no time. And random weather such as "rain today, sun tomorrow, snow the day after tomorrow" would be ridiculous, especially in world like Egypt.

Mod that allows weather in adventure worlds allows moving in/out, staying there, getting a job in a vacation world etc. It's not exactly the same ;)
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited December 2012
    Probably not. Unlike Sims 2, where it did (one of the advantages of a closed neighborhood is the fact you can have each lot have a different weather situation, allowing worlds without passing time to have their own weather setups), this time around it probably won't due to a lack of time passage, much like the WA worlds.
  • yabajenyabajen Posts: 1,187 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I honestly don't see why not? It really wouldn't make sense otherwise. Now that we have Seasons, I'm pretty sure they would make sure it works seamlessly with future expansion packs. Even if uni worlds were separate worlds with different climates it could still be up to the player to decide which weather types they want (much like players playing sunlit tides or Lucky palms can choose to have a permanent Summer in the options)
    I can understand them not wanting it to snow in Egypt for the purpose of remaining as true to the country as possible. Also it wouldn't make sense for the 'Egypt specific' animations such as sims randomly wiping sweat from their foreheads and taking a swig of water from a bottle or locals walking around in traditional Arabian gear.

It would be a huge step back if weather wasn't enabled in Uni and would probably anger a lot of players...

P.s: We have no way of knowing and can only speculate at this point whether or not Uni will work like WA with regards to the passage of time for example.
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited December 2012
    yabajen wrote:
    P.s: We have no way of knowing and can only speculate at this point whether or not Uni will work like WA with regards to the passage of time for example.

Given EA's story progression, working like WA worlds is the best case scenario. Not working like them only starts sliding downhill, and quickly heads towards unplayability for most people long before we hit the worst case scenario.
  • bosslaydeebosslaydee Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited December 2012
    i dont see why not..
    it works with WA worlds.
  • GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    edited December 2012
    If university is even in a separate world, then I don't see why not.
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
  • ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited December 2012
    If they don't, I'm sure there will be a mod for it within hours of the release. :P
  • RAE2786RAE2786 Posts: 683 New Member
    edited December 2012
    GREENEYA wrote:
    Nomad20 wrote:

Yes but moders enabled weather in WA world without any problems. So it was not difficult for EA to do the same.

Without any problems? :shock: . Traveler is a great mod and I refuse to play without it but do you know how many changes Twallan had to make to the current travel system in order for it to work? First of all the travel system is buggy to be begin with, second he had to allow the vacation worlds to be treated as regular worlds (something I'm guessing EA never intended to happen with Vacation worlds), third he had to unlock the ability to travel to ALL other worlds, then make changes to accommodate all EPs. It had a lot of bugs at the beginning stages and some people are still experiencing issues.

Unless if EA starts treating the vacation worlds as "regular" worlds like twallan did, I don't see how they could make Seasons works there.

I do hope that University has weather in it as well as the ability to travel back and forth. It would be nice to have sims leave around Winter time to spend the holidays with their families.
  • LetterM2013LetterM2013 Posts: 1,577 New Member
    edited December 2012
    If it don't, I ain't buying.
  • SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited December 2012
    No snow in Egypt is a lame reason :P. WA worlds are not only Egypt, there are France and China as well, and I am 101 % sure that there is snow in France and China :mrgreen:.

The real reason is what Urosh explained below
    Urosh1994 wrote:
    There is no 'time' in adventure worlds. Sims don't age, they don't get older, they don't progress in time. They're basically stuck in another dimension. That's why weather doesn't work.

There is no seasons because there is no time.

Mod that allows weather in adventure worlds allows moving in/out, staying there, getting a job in a vacation world etc. It's not exactly the same ;)

And the mod will remove the restriction of "no time" in the WA worlds allowing them to have season. :lol:

If University has a sub-hood like WA worlds, then I don't think there will be season in University world :cry: which is a bummer :x. Hopefully I am wrong though.

If University is only a new lot to be placed in any world, then yes, there will be season.
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited December 2012
    A-a-and here come the demands. We don't even have any real information yet, just a whole lot of speculation, and people are already threatening to not buy the game, or saying a lot of players will be angry if there's no weather in the University location.

You know what *I* say? Tough cookies! You guys wanted University, you whined, you petitioned, you came up with all these grand and very detailed schemes, some of which the game could never handle, and now EA has given in to your demands. But are you happy? N-o-o-o...the University location had better have weather OR else! Or else what? You stomp your feet, throw a temper tantrum and fill the new university forum with flames trashing EA because the development team didn't cave in to your demands?

MY best speculation is that it will more than likely be a vacation world, possibly with a variety of educational insitutions in it...a true University town with more than one college. And it will work like the Vacation worlds where your Sim spends x # of days (maybe 4 days per semester), completes a variety of tasks and then gets credit for that particular semester. Then they get to come home 30 minutes after they left, wait 3 days and go back for the next semester. We might see some community lots that can be put in the regular towns.

At the very least I hope they convert the public school to have night classes (there's already a mod for that) so you don't have to send your YA's to University unless you want to. Also, your teens should be offered the option to go off to Uni immediately after they age up to YA. They can get a taste of the college experience, but if it doesn't suit them, they can come home and continue to take night classes or online classes. That was one of the things that Sims 2 players wanted: the option NOT to have to send their teens to Uni, but to have them play Young Adults in the neighborhood.

If I were EA, that's how *I* would do it, and I wouldn't worry about the weather or lack thereof in a University world.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • SalantiSalanti Posts: 327 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I was never found of World Adventures but was the worlds you could visit after Seasons affected?

Because I believe that University will be the same as the worlds in World Adventures. You won't age, and you would have a count down till you went back to your town. And there is no reason why weather wouldn't work in University. It worked in Sims 2, why not sims 3?