Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

70's, 80's & 90s blogs! Go read em' and share your comments with us!

Hey Simmers!

Keep an eye out here for updates on new blogs talking about what's to come in 70s, 80s, & 90s Stuff! And please do share your feedback on the blogs with us here!

The 1970's…a time of fab fashion, cool cats and disco! - SimGuruSarah
http://www.thesims3.com/community/blog.html?blogid=471950

Product of the 80s - SimGuruSarah
http://www.thesims3.com/community/blog.html?blogid=478774

Sims get fly in the 90s - SimGuruSarah
http://www.thesims3.com/community/blog.html?blogid=480119

The Sims 3 70s, 80s, 90s Stuff is Now Available! - SimGuruSarah

http://www.thesims3.com/community/blog.html?blogid=480933

Comments

• DarrellRBeebeDarrellRBeebe Posts: 663 Member
    edited December 2012
    Great Blog on the 70s - stuff is looking good. However, I do have one critique - while I am very, VERY glad for the new mustache, it doesn't scream "70s" to me. We need the one worn by the biker from the Village People - THAT says 70's to me, but at the same time it has made a resurgence in recent years. I really, really want that one.
    And without a nice, big 70's style "afro" for both males and females, child through elders, this pack will be woefully incomplete.
  • kamaleonkamaleon Posts: 53
    edited December 2012
    Hopefully the facial hair option for Elders is a hint they textured some clothes for Elders too. I also hope the kids and teens get a few options too. Considering some of the facepaint and buy objects already shown for this SP, I can already think of about a dozen club and hangout themes I could play with making in conjunction with my current EPs and SPs.

Though you can't complete the 70s without joystick and and paddle controller video game systems ;-)
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited December 2012
    Great And without a nice, big 70's style "afro" for both males and females, child through elders, this pack will be woefully incomplete.

I just posted nearly the same thing on another post. This far and this many years into the game and no afro for all ages and sexes is a huge oversight. It is a huge part of the African culture and to not have that limits me in my game. It would also be neat to see it on a toddler. I so want that hairstyle and for it to work on all. If not this SP, then something soon.

Mustache wise, I love the one they included. Maybe, they can add the other one in something upcoming. 8)

I love what I am seeing so far. A buy for sure. :D
  • jessyxdavidsonjessyxdavidson Posts: 896 Member
    edited December 2012
    I can't wait for this stuff pack! I watched all the I Love... series from VH1, and I wished I could live in those times. Now I can! Through my sims of course :mrgreen: I can't wait to get to see the 80's and 90's stuff :lol:
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,860 Member
    edited December 2012
    So we know for sure there won't be afros? I'm hoping they just didn't show us everything from the 70's (when they were most popular so it's likely be the decade for it.) Because you're right, if they are not in the pack, that's a huge omission.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Giancarlo66Giancarlo66 Posts: 30
    edited December 2012
    I hope my DJ Sims will be able to play 70s and 80s Disco music on their DJ booth.

Or have you ever seen a Disco Club where there is just a radio playing and no DJs? ...
  • kamaleonkamaleon Posts: 53
    edited December 2012
    I hope my DJ Sims will be able to play 70s and 80s Disco music on their DJ booth.

Or have you ever seen a Disco Club where there is just a radio playing and no DJs? ...

Or just about any style of club for that matter- either a DJ or live act for sure...
  • Giancarlo66Giancarlo66 Posts: 30
    edited December 2012
    You're right. I forgot the bands.

EA failed to code the ST in way that Singers would be able to join LN Bands. So I doubt that an SP will be any better. I think they copletely forgot about their bands...

But YES, I would love bands being able to play psychedelic 70s Rock, boombastic 80s Pop or melancholic 90s Grunge :)
  • HazysmithHazysmith Posts: 115 New Member
    edited January 2013
    Or 70's disco, 80's cheesefests or 90's boybands!! Hang on, maybe not!

I am really looking forward to donning the legwarmers and having some fun with this SP.
  • midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    edited January 2013
    that was a really good blog, thanks for posting that up there, am looking forward to this stuff pack! :)
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited January 2013
    I like the look of this expansion pack, but SimGuru's, I have a *bone* to pick with you:

I turned 30 in 1981, back in the day when Princess Diana and her Sloane Ranger look was all the rage. I'm shocked and dismayed that you completely avoided that look. Not only did practically everyone on both sides of the pond go ga-ga over the whole Laura Ashley ruffled blouses with paisley prints look, many of them wanted to *be* Princess Di and tried their best to emulate her in their choice of fashions. I'm not saying that you should recreate *her* outfits, but a litle research should give you an idea of what I'm talking about when I say "the Sloane Ranger" look.

I'd like to respectfully suggest that you either include that in the Store, or in the next stuff pack. It would make *my* view of the 80's complete, anyway, as well as bringing memories of a time when people actually believed that royal fairy tales really *do* come true.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • snuttdisnuttdi Posts: 270 Member
    edited January 2013
    I have to agree with Darrell and Davina1221 about the "afro" for all ages as well as needing "afro puffs" for all ages! I realize that we can't have everything but these items were very much a big part of that era.

Of course we can go on and on and mention other things as well, like army shirts with sleeves cut off, bandanas for headress, scarfs around the necks, peace sign jewelry and T-shirts, platform shoes and boots, two-toned blue jeans, and Earth shoes to boot! :lol: How many people remember the earth shoe?

What a time to remember! :lol:
  • snuttdisnuttdi Posts: 270 Member
    edited January 2013
    Giancarlo66

You stated,

"But YES, I would love bands being able to play psychedelic 70s Rock, boombastic 80s Pop or melancholic 90s Grunge"

I hear you about the bands! I hear you loud and clear!

It would also mean so much to me if the mics, speakers, and all the other stage band equipment was included in this pack to really rock out on the stage! I would love to see the older electric keyboard instrument as well as more drum equipment to really have the feel and look of a rock band from the 70's and 80's. Also needed very badly is a saxophone for any era!
  • mnevin25mnevin25 Posts: 466 Member
    edited January 2013
    Please answer this No one asked...... Is there going to be any new music like 70' 80' or 90's music? Would be nice. I grew up in those years. Would like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Lynard Skynard, even Abba or Nirvanna. see How bout Poision, Bon Jovi, White Snake. Diehard Rockers unite!!! LOL?

This coming from your number one store bought item fan and your number one Simmer!! Thanks
  • CrescentMoonPyeCrescentMoonPye Posts: 2,080 Member
    edited January 2013
    I hear ya, mnevin!! :lol:

GuruHydra, Hi!
    I wrote the Redwood City Team another sim song, in honor of the new Pack and especially the '90s part [1993, to be exact]. :mrgreen:

I lived through the rl '70s and I'm emotionally/aesthetically scarred from it i]too many creepy color combinations, polyester gabardine school uniforms, & people were way too furry back then for me, I'm afraid[/i, but I must say the late late '70s Rock music has never been surpassed for being uber-awesome.
    (KLorelei/DNA made me the most awesome psychedelic hippie lot to play on and this new Stuff Pack will help to dress the sims properly when they visit it! Finally!) :lol:

Bands like Aerosims, Led's Zimmelin, Sim Halen, WA Journey, Lynyrd Simnyrd are just timeless. But I like the grunge and singer/songwriter stuff of the '90s too. Simervana was massively great and I particularly enjoy Shimeryl Crow's music.

Well, that's all I have to share. YAY for the 70s 80s 90s Stuff pack!!
    Happy Simming, everybody!!
  • hikari91unihikari91uni Posts: 4 New Member
    edited January 2013
    There was something I saw missing..the amazing mullet. Are we not getting that in this stuff pack?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2013
    What kind of 70's does not have beaded curtains for doorways as doors be came a no-no as door blocked karma, so doors were removed - interior doors I mean, and beaded curtains were everywhere. And windows with no Crystals. Unheard of. I lived the 70's I was there and there was not a dorm room anywhere with out tie dyed sheets, beaded doorways, and crystals casting odd prisms of light through out your rooms. Granted these things began in the mid 60's and sort of started winding down in the mid 70's. The tie dyed bedding was replaced with Red, white or black satin sheets and tons of pillows as sixties pillows were taken off of floors and tossed on beds. Fishing nets - of all thing with shells and sand dollars stuck into them replaced the beads in doorways - incense in the 70's moved to scented candles, and a strange love of lovely stained glass windows replaced the crystals on windows. it was still an era to let the sunshine in... until the 80 brought back "window treatments" and matching beds in a bag comforter sets.

I worked my way through college working parttime in a store similar to Bed and Bath on top of it. hehehe

I sort of differ with the Afro, as that was totally 60's - at least in college - the Mod Squad on tv influenced it as much as it influenced go go boots, hip hugger verticle striped pants with really wide flare from the knee down for both male and female, as well as long, long straight hair for anyone who could not look fly in an afro. Men let their hair go straighter in the 70's and longer, do-rags and bandanna kept males hair under control. Big hair became the girls choice for the first half of the 70's. The 70's though were really a mish mash of what was in the 60's and what the 80 would become, and a little bit mixed together.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited January 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    What kind of 70's does not have beaded curtains for doorways as doors as doors be came a no-no as door blocked karma... tie dyed bedding was replaced with Red, white or black satin sheets and tons of pillows as sixties pillows were taken off of floors and tossed on beds. Fishing nets - of all thing with shells and sand dollars stuck into them replaced the beads in doorways - incense in the 70's moved to scented candles, and a strange love of lovely stained glass windows replaced the crystals on windows. it was still an era to let the sunshine in... until the 80 brought back "window treatments" and matching beds in a bag comforter sets... Big hair became the girls choice for the first half of the 70's. The 70's though were really a mish mash of what was in the 60's and what the 80 would become, and a little bit mixed together.
    Oh, Reg, you crack me up! ::chuckles to myself::
    Good points throughout! ... Is that why they put door beads up?! I didn't know that! You're like a direct-source guru ('70s kind, not the EA ones i]not that you wouldn't make a nice one of those too[/i)
    You're my 'resident' expert and I'm coming to you if I have any decorating questions. 8) Btw, sitar music rocks! Just ask the later Beatles if you don't believe me!

Re: the sheet color changes you mention - I like to use Al Pacino in 'Scarface' for my inspiration there! Heehee! Transitions nicely into the '80s, don't you think?

I was born with naturally curly big hair ('specially if I brush it - it'll afro no problem - dreds nicely too, if I ignore it long enough) and no one back then knew how to care for it properly, so I have emotional issues from childhood due to being, what seemed like, the only kid without long glossy pin straight hair.
    {Don't look at my avi hair, it's big lie! If EA ever makes long Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio hair, I'll happily switch to it}
    See kids! The '70/'80s weren't necessarily all theyre cracked up to be if you had/have big hair. :P
  • blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited January 2013
    Where I grew up, Afros were still a main hair style until the late '70s, then jerry curls were the hair style of the '80s. . So I would have loved an Afro for representing how I grew up, but as always what I would love to represent me in the game can go by the wayside since it wasn't mainstream. Thanks.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    edited January 2013
    Oh yea speaking of jerry curls I wish we could get some in our game from the store and real curls in general as well.

About this stuff pack I love the dance walls,dance floor and disco ball but I keep hearing the new radio stations are broken so I'm hoping you guys will fix this with an emergency patch soon.

I'm about to pick up my copy.
  • CharliimaiCharliimai Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited January 2013
    snuttdi wrote:
    I have to agree with Darrell and Davina1221 about the "afro" for all ages as well as needing "afro puffs" for all ages!

The sims needs to include Afro/ethnic hair for all ages in general as standard in the base games as it does limit my game when creating families (expecially with toddlers and children). i can't make a good representation of my own ethnicity in the games as the option are limited i did buy the africa inspirations set with only 1 childs hairstyle which disapeared from my game with the last update and have been unable to use since so more choices would be appreciated. :thumbup:
    cSXsPD.jpg

Read my Legacy story's or atttempt one of my Sims 4 challenges.
    Charlii Mai's Blogs and Challenges

Read All of my Latest stories all in one place.
    RainbowPlumbob (Wordpress)

• uo_breaux1uo_breaux1 Posts: 5 New Member
    edited January 2013
    During the 80's, every person I knew watched Miami Vice. Every Friday night, people would get together at a friend's house to watch Miami Vice. It was an Event. For guys, the height of fashion was the Don Johnson look. You know. White dress pants and jacket, sometimes with the sleeves rolled up, over a plain pastel tee, with white boater shoes. I was expecting to see that as an outfit.

From what other people are saying about obvious things that were overlooked, it feels to me as though the research done for this pack was sorely lacking. It could have been so much more.
    edited January 2013
    real curls
    Love your avi, too funny! Yeah, actual real curls hair at least shoulder length would be awesome. Probably won't because of the graphics difficulty though. :(
    uo_breaux1 wrote:
    During the 80's, every person I knew watched Miami Vice... the height of fashion was the Don Johnson look. You know. White dress pants and jacket, sometimes with the sleeves rolled up, over a plain pastel tee, with white boater shoes.
    omg, Don Johnson and those t-shirt/jacket combos! I forgot about that! Oh, those tv shows! :roll: The music is painful for me (not a fan of saxophones :lol: Sorry Kenny G)

Heehee! But then, I was a Magnum P.I. fanatic so I can't point at the quality television of the time! The shorts in the eighties saved manufactures millions in fabric costs. (Remember Richard Simmons and the tv exercise bits he used to do - another good use of the afro haircut)

Well, it's nice [for me anyway] to see Tom Selleck still going strong. I'm very sorry to hear that they neglected some of these key iconic styles in the pack.
    The least they could have done was put in T.C.'s chopper as a mode of transportation! heehee, just kidding EA. :mrgreen:
  • IanCIanC Posts: 77 New Member
    edited January 2013
    I want my money back
  • HeyImBeeHeyImBee Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    HEY SIM FRIENDS!! I made a Let's play commentary and I will be doing a commentary on the 70's-90's once I get it this week. Check out my videos! :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/heyimbee
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top