Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gardening improvements for sims 4

I think EA got lazy on the way they make harvestable plants in the game, that is something EA needs to fix in sims 4.

First of all Onion and garlic doesnt grow in bushes, Look how beautiful onion and garlic plant is, You can also harvest the leaves of it which can be treated as spring onion.

garlic
harvested-garlic-ll-md.jpg

Onion:
Onion%20Plant.jpg

harvestable cherry trees should have been pink or white not green:
Compressed_Cherry_Tree.jpg

EA Banana tree looks like this:
1816615_f520.jpg

and you can harvest 3 things from the banana tree, The fruit which is consumed worldwide, The trunk which makes a silk like fabric and the flower which is a popular vegetable in Asia, and Africa.

cfef36e31ca8b2d7_bananaflower3.preview.jpg

--- Truffles grow underground, under oak trees, In sims 4 the sims must have an oak tree to harvest truffles.

One more thing, I dont like the fertilizer system in sims 3, why the heck we use fresh produce, and live animals as fertilizers?

It should be leftover food, spoiled food and biodegradable garbage.

Comments

• TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited December 2012
    Um, I would rather they leave this one alone and focus on things that need far more improvement. This isn't Harvest Moon, after all.
  • albertwhiskeralbertwhisker Posts: 596 New Member
    edited December 2012
    Its a minor detail but I am sure they have already bases for the major stuff. It may not be harvest moon but there are simmers who focus on gardening apparently.
    edited December 2012
    You have a point.

And I'm one of the ones who focuses on gardening :wink:
    edited December 2012
    also live fishes, salamanders and frogs as fertilizers? :shock:

Then children are starving in strangetown and they were using fresh produce as fertilizers. :shock:

Fertilizers should be more about recycling not wasting.
    edited December 2012
    hope next game will have a better fertilizer system and of course the plants wll look like their real life counterpart.
  • NeonivekNeonivek Posts: 1,373 Member
    edited December 2012
    I am pretty sure the EA team is well aware that their fruit trees look almost nothing like the appropriate fruit trees (or bushes).

I mean... The fruit trees don't even flower.
  • Jess1281Jess1281 Posts: 466 New Member
    edited December 2012
    OmG, I love your topic, I've had the same complaint mentally since sims 2. The Sims (original) had WAY better looking plants, in terms of realism. You could tell tomatoes and grapes apart. I was thrilled when Supernatural added a new Bush shape for some of the harvestables. Silly I know, but I get sick of seeing the same 3 shapes; Pole Bean, Low laying shrub and that goofy looking tree... Has anyone at EA ever seen a fruit bearing tree, most of them are very narwled and branch ridden, not neat and groomed and visually unappealing. My gripe is if they could do it with a simple (by comparison) game like S1, why couldn't the more difficult advanced S3 have even MORE realistic looking harvestables? Logic failure or cutting corners is all I can hypothesize. Here's hoping Sims 4 has general visual improvements and more stable, instead of trying to outdo themselves on a grand scale.
    edited December 2012
    this banana tree makes me cringe

tumblr_m0gyk0z3tR1qfqm31o1_500.jpg
    also some of their ornamentals plants are suppose to be edible and harvestable in real life :(

I hope to have a better gardening system in sims 4
    edited December 2012
    cutting corners

It is cutting corners. I am going to give the people on the Sims team SOME credit in knowing how plants work.

If you havn't noticed the original game only had 4 plant types: Tree, Money Tree, Bush, and Vine.

They barely expanded upon this.
    edited December 2012
    they gave more attention and detail to the useless non harvestable plants.
    edited December 2012

and yet not to the gems or metals.
    edited December 2012
    I just realized they have a decent banana 3 in sims castaway,how I wish they were able to use that in sims 3, I mean some sims 3 items are copy paste anyway.
    edited December 2012
    Neonivek wrote:

and yet not to the gems or metals.

You mean, the same people who think plutonium is green and safe enough to be stored in a display case, despite the fact it's the most unstable naturally-occurring metal that naturally undergoes nuclear fission on the planet?
  • yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited December 2012
    this banana tree makes me cringe

tumblr_m0gyk0z3tR1qfqm31o1_500.jpg
    also some of their ornamentals plants are suppose to be edible and harvestable in real life :(

I hope to have a better gardening system in sims 4
    You won't get any arguments from me on this one :lol:

But realistically, I also agree that there are far more important, critical things I'd rather the devs focus on. Like fixing the chronic, game breaking bugs since day 1 of the game release.

Instead of wasting energy posting a thread like this which will be ignored, why not redirect your energy toward making a mod that remedies the problem? Quite a few tropical plants which came with Sunlit Tides make excellent candidates. And don't forget the real bananna tree which has existed in build mode since the base game. All of these are great modding opportunities to remedy the lack of dev oversight. :-)

Don't ask me why the devs decided to be lazy and not code this bananna tree to produce bannanas. They either 1) got lazy, 2) forgot it even existed, or 3) just ran out of time. In all fairness, I'd suspect #3 was probably the case in order to meet the Showtime ship date.

The bottom line: The devs obviously won't be correcting this brain fart anytime in the near future. Especially since Uni is in development for next year. So if you want realistic banannas and other fruit trees in the game, then you're stuck with using mods or making your own.
    harvestable cherry trees should have been pink or white not green:
    acutally, cherry tries are only pink while flowering and not when the tree bears fruit. So for the sake of realisim, you'd never be able to harvest pink cherry trees. I suppose they made a reasonable compromise with how the foilage changes color for autum season. But it would've been nice to have cherry trees turn pink in the spring, then green in summer/fall for harvesting.
    edited December 2012
    I am pretty sure the team for design and the team for programming are 2 separate teams, I am sure there are threads out there where we can suggest about our problems with bugs and crashes, this one is probably not the one for that purposes. Its also about sims 4 which is in development and not for sims 3. Sims 4 have more time in the world.

Instead of wasting energy posting a thread like this which will be ignored, why not redirect your energy toward making a mod that remedies the problem? Quite a few tropical plants which came with Sunlit Tides make excellent candidates. And don't forget the real bananna tree which has existed in build mode since the base game.  All of these are great modding opportunities to remedy the lack of dev oversight.  :-)

this suggestion is for sims 4 which have all the time in the world to perfect both major and minor aspects as its under development still, about me making mods, I got D on my computer subject, :lol: How I wish I was able to do so, sadly I am too dumb for that. I became a language instructor for a reason (sadly I have occasional grammar mistakes too...I know thats too much self pity on my part, If I was only a genius,......)
  • Bronya22Bronya22 Posts: 87
    edited December 2012
    well the was that bin to make fertilizer in sims 2....and i wish flowers grew with seeds too...and trees....
  • bosslaydeebosslaydee Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited December 2012
    Um, I would rather they leave this one alone and focus on things that need far more improvement. This isn't Harvest Moon, after all.
    he makes a good point though. i didnt even put 2 and 2 together until just now. ive seen banana trees.. jesus im caribbean. lol
    i think they should update. they were going off on how pretty the lucky springs new trees and bushes were.. if they took the time to do those trees, they can change the COLOR of a cherry tree. they have NOTHING to be proud of anymoreee! lol
    edited December 2012
    bosslaydee wrote:
    he makes a good point though. i didnt even put 2 and 2 together until just now. ive seen banana trees.. jesus im caribbean. lol
    i think they should update. they were going off on how pretty the lucky springs new trees and bushes were.. if they took the time to do those trees, they can change the COLOR of a cherry tree. they have NOTHING to be proud of anymoreee! lol

Yeah, I'll agree he does. And after a bit of researching since I last posted (read as: I used Google for about ten minutes to see if it would be difficult), there's actually no reason they can't do this in Sims 3. It's just using an alternate graphical representation; the game mechanics would be unchanged. Like having an alien-looking sim instead of a normal sim.
    edited December 2012
    if I only have my way, majority of sims 4 plants will be harvestables, a lot of sims 3 ornamental plants actually provides edible fruits,leaves or roots while others are medicinal. i am sure majority of sims 4 plants will be copy paste from sims 2 plants and sims 3 plants so it wont take a lot of effort.

sims 2 have a better fertilizer system, you use garbage as fertilizer not fresh veggies, fish, reptiles and amphibians.

I respect killing animals for food but killing the for fertilizer.....
  • Lachesis_ZeallLachesis_Zeall Posts: 10
    edited December 2012

Then children are starving in strangetown and they were using fresh produce as fertilizers. :shock:

Actually, I could agree with that. I'm sure EA was thinking convenient, quick ways to keep your garden soil rich, but perhaps they could have a specific compost bin that bad leftovers get carried off to for fertilizer. And after a cycle of perhaps 3 Sim Days, the compost would be ready for your garden, not much different from having to wait to clean the horse stall for fertilizer. This is a good way of "going green" as everyone else seems to be on about these days. Plus, kids could learn something, since such arts are practiced largely as a hobby, anyway. We shop these days and leave the growing to the food companies. ::Shudders:: And that's the least of it.

Edit:
    And another thing: You know how many kids these days would be mindboggled by the idea that the fruit or veggie of a plant is not the only harvestable thing? They really should include that. True, this is not some herbology or botony class, but they could open a whole new realm of skills and, just for fun, alchemical ingredients, or spell potency on Supernatural. Witches love their plants. And stones for that matter... was rather disappointed with how limited my witch is. And all the familiar seems to do is increase the speed in which your witch hones their magic skill.
    edited December 2012
    Burying a fish with your food is a real method of fertilization.
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited December 2012
    EA doesn't seem to pay any attention to being accurate to real world plants.

I wouldn't be so annoyed by this myself, but in Seasons I did get really annoyed. They really messed up both Winter and Spring. Somebody really needs to tell EA a lot of bushes and shrubs lose their leaves for winter, and VERY few of them - not all of them - flower during the winter. And somebody also really needs to tell EA that trees and shrubs/bushes bloom during the Spring. Not all of them, but there are, in fact, some present in The Sims 3 that are supposed to bloom for the Spring.

The fact that EA teased us by putting the eternally blooming (in this game) cherry trees abundantly in the screenshots of Spring really makes me more aggravated at this obvious lack of attention to detail. I know EA loves to do some false advertising, but that one was too much. Because you can't even use the Seasonal Lot Marker to place them there just for the Spring, you'd have to manually place them.
    OO2UdmJ.png
    edited December 2012

Edit:
    And another thing: You know how many kids these days would be mindboggled by the idea that the fruit or veggie of a plant is not the only harvestable thing? They really should include that. True, this is not some herbology or botony class, but they could open a whole new realm of skills and, just for fun, alchemical ingredients, or spell potency on Supernatural. Witches love their plants. And stones for that matter... was rather disappointed with how limited my witch is. And all the familiar seems to do is increase the speed in which your witch hones their magic skill.

indeed, Sweet potato leaves is edible, Taro leaves is edible, Pumpkin seeds are edible, sunflower seeds is edible, Banana flowers are edible, Pine 3 needles are edible.radish and carrots have edible pods,

that will be educational for sure...
    edited December 2012

Edit:

indeed, Sweet potato leaves is edible, Taro leaves is edible, Pumpkin seeds are edible, sunflower seeds is edible, Banana flowers are edible, Pine 3 needles are edible.radish and carrots have edible pods,

They just have to do careful research. Not all food plants are that way... tomatoes, for example, are one where only the fruit is edible. The rest of the plant is actually highly toxic. Of course, it is a type of nightshade...
  • Lachesis_ZeallLachesis_Zeall Posts: 10
    edited December 2012

Edit:

They just have to do careful research. Not all food plants are that way... tomatoes, for example, are one where only the fruit is edible. The rest of the plant is actually highly toxic. Of course, it is a type of nightshade...

Yes it is. But they could have used that for an alchemical ingredient. Granted, I am aware a Sim cannot fatelly harm another Sim, but they have prank-like potions, like that Nausious one. It could have been used to make something like that or similar. It could have still been of use, I'm just saying. Belladonna: Relaxing tea or sleep poison, depending on how you use it in the game. They overlooked many nifty things.