March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom sculpt tools - can save HOURS of work [updated with tutorial]

ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
I found a way that you can create custom tools for sculpting in CAW. In the UserToolData folder, there's a subfolder called TerrainSculptBrushes, and in that is a file called TerrainSculpt.ini, which has data related to ll the sculpt tools. You can copy and paste any of the codes in there to create a modified version of an existing tool, or you can even use your own .tga graphics. Now you won't even have to manually sculpt the details on your hills and valleys bit by bit, they'll be there automatically and you'll just have to fine-tune then. :D

Tutorial on creating custom terrain brushes:
    Go to Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 Create A World Tool > UserToolData > TerrainSculptBrushes
    Open the file "TerrainSculpt.ini" (will probably just appear as TerrainSculpt)
    Add the following code to the end of the file, and change the word "Custom" to the name of your new tool:
[Brush_Custom]
Name = Custom
WiggleAngle = 0
ComponentCount = 1
; 
; First component
Comp1_Op = 0
Comp1_Texture = Custom.tga
Comp1_BaseTextureValue = 0
Comp1_AlignWithMoveDirection = 1
Comp1_Strength = 0.01
Comp1_Width = 1.0
    Open up any of the existing .tga files in the TerrainSculptBrushes folder in a graphics editor that supports them. I personally use GIMP. I assume they works with Photoshop, but haven't tested it yet since I don't have Photoshop.
    Blank out the content so the image is pure black.
    Create a new 64x64 image (When I tried to edit the .tga file directly in GIMP, some features, including blending with the paintbrush tool, didn't work properly, I'm not sure if this happens in Photoshop).
    Create a grayscale image. When applying the custom tool to the terrain, the darker parts represent lower terrain (black being no change) and lighter parts represent higher terrain. For my custom tools, I just dab the middle using the paintbrush tool with a different brush for each tool.
    Select all then copy the image.
    Paste the image onto the .tga image, then save with the name used for Comp1_Texture in the TerrainSculpt INI file.

Now you can try out the tool in game. :P

I haven't tried making a tool that lowers the terrain yet, but if you want one, I assume you can do this by inverting the .tga image and setting Comp1_BaseTextureValue to 255, but I haven't tested it yet.
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• tlc10175tlc10175 Posts: 2,550 Member
    edited December 2012
    Wow that sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing =D
    Is there any chance you could please show some screenshots of examples of what you mean? o.O
  • ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited December 2012
    Sure, I'll go take some. :) I also might share the custom brushes I create, but I'm still experimenting right now.

UPDATE:

Steep terrain leading into the sea:
    CAW2012-12-1201-01-56-92.png
    CAW2012-12-1201-02-12-20.png

Hills created using custom tools:
    CAW2012-12-1201-02-54-47.png
    CAW2012-12-1201-04-00-95.png

A smooth hill made using the normal flatten and smooth tools with extra details added using a custom tool:
    CAW2012-12-1201-08-02-45.png
    edited December 2012
    Thanks!
    edited December 2012
    Done, I added them to my previous post before I saw your reply.
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited December 2012
    Cool!

I want to see the custom brushes..............I want the custom brushes..................Gimmie the custom brushes!

1240115254.gif1240115254.gif1240115254.gif
  • SimExpertJaredSimExpertJared Posts: 865 New Member
    edited December 2012
    Cool! Bookmarked! Is there any possibility that you could make a tutorial?
    edited December 2012
    That is so awesome thanks again for sharing. =)
    edited December 2012
    Cool! Bookmarked! Is there any possibility that you could make a tutorial?
    Sure, I could start work on it right now since I have spare time (which I'm currently using to make the brushes for my world :P).

EDIT: I've updated the main post with a tutorial.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited December 2012
    I put it in the FAQ under "Textures, Terrain Painting & Sculpting"
    edited December 2012
    Awesome, thanks! :)
  • SimExpertJaredSimExpertJared Posts: 865 New Member
    edited December 2012
    GREAT! I will definitely try this out!
  • xmerokoxxmerokox Posts: 149 New Member
    edited December 2012
    This is so awesome, thank you!!! Very exciting :D
  • ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited December 2012
    Very interesting tutorial, but I wonder if it's only me who enjoys manually sculpting :shock: I'm sure it'll help many people though :D
  • niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited December 2012
    Could you perhaps upload some of your favorite brush pictures? I don't do well with this kind of stuff. :XD:
  • JESSNOVA999JESSNOVA999 Posts: 18 Member
    edited December 2012
    What a great idea! Now, why hasn't anyone been doing this all along? It doesn't look that hard to do, even if it's going to take some experimenting to get stuff that looks ok.

I also find it interesting that the first brush in there for Mountains, has two parts to it. I wonder how many layers of components one could use.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,583 Member
    edited December 2012
    What a great idea! Now, why hasn't anyone been doing this all along? It doesn't look that hard to do, even if it's going to take some experimenting to get stuff that looks ok.

I also find it interesting that the first brush in there for Mountains, has two parts to it. I wonder how many layers of components one could use.

I remember seeing this somewhere over a year ago. Maybe modthesims... Ah, yes-
    http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=432295

I'm also the kind that loves to sculpt and paint in CAW. It's more fun making the map then playing the game. I get more tired of using CASt and building in game then creating maps. If only I could find a team of builders/lot designers, then I'd be set. :lol:
  • Sneakfeline0Sneakfeline0 Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited January 2013

Interesting concept, I read the thread from MTS also. Could be useful to some, but I hand-sculpt in CAW also as I'm old-fashined (read tech-challenged!). I do admire anyone that can even think of trying stuff like this, I'm still learning to type properly :oops:.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top