Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm Out. Done. FINISHED. No more Sims for me.

Well, they have officially pushed all of my buttons. I'm done with The Sims 3.

I've gotten every expansion pack (Except that Katy Perry crap) and every stuff pack as well. I was thrilled to get Seasons. I even preordered it off Amazon.

I knew there was going to be some issues with the game, but for Christ's sake, I could barely play it after I got it.

I removed all my mods and CC, even items from the store. I stripped the game down to the bare bones it had. And it STILL crashed and froze within 10 minutes into game play.

So, I uninstalled it completely from my 2011 Macbook Pro running Mountain Lion 10.8.2. Using Bluebelflora's instructions on her blog on how to do a clean wipe and reinstall of the game, I said screw it and cleaned it off of my computer. Believe me, I'm KEEPING IT OFF.

I'm new to The Sims completely. I loved the concept and I had drafts and plans of creating my own custom content to share. I've poured money into this franchise since June of this year and they will not be getting anymore of my money. Heck, I may just put the games up for sale as used on Amazon, Ebay or even just go to a local game store and sell them if I can. Not only do I want them off my Macbook, I want them out of my house and life forever.

What a joke of a game, company and horrible tech community on EA's part. The fans of the game should not have to go through the trouble of explaining and finding solid solutions for other fans. That's the company's **** job.

I will be banning EA from my list of gaming companies forever. I was considering installing Boot Camp on my Mac and playing, but then I thought to myself, "Is it really worth the trouble to buy 5 games that I downloaded from Amazon as MAC DOWNLOAD ONLY (The rest are on Win/Mac Disks) in disk format so that I can play this worthless piece of crap? No, it isn't." Hell, my boyfriend even offered to buy me the 5 games because he knew I enjoyed playing. I told him thanks, but not to waste his money as much as I wasted mine.

I really hope the fans of this game, PC and MAC alike, realize that the only way they are going to get the game fixed and playable to everyone's liking is to just boycott it entirely. Don't play it, don't buy it and pretend it doesn't even exist.

I'm done. EA, you just lost a customer for good and one that wasn't even into the franchise for very long. Enjoy my money, jerks. You're obviously not doing anything for your customers with it.

Comments

• happygolucky45happygolucky45 Posts: 9
    edited November 2012
    well, they have officially pushed all of my buttons. I'm done with The Sims 3.

I've gotten every expansion pack (Except that Katy Perry crap) and every stuff pack as well. I was thrilled to get Seasons. I even preordered it off Amazon.

I knew there was going to be some issues with the game, but for Christ's sake, I could barely play it after I got it.

I removed all my mods and CC, even items from the store. I stripped the game down to the bare bones it had. And it STILL crashed and froze within 10 minutes into game play.

So, I uninstalled it completely from my 2011 Macbook Pro running Mountain Lion 10.8.2. Using Bluebelflora's instructions on her blog on how to do a clean wipe and reinstall of the game, I said screw it and cleaned it off of my computer. Believe me, I'm KEEPING IT OFF.

I'm new to The Sims completely. I loved the concept and I had drafts and plans of creating my own custom content to share. I've poured money into this franchise since June of this year and they will not be getting anymore of my money. Heck, I may just put the games up for sale as used on Amazon, Ebay or even just go to a local game store and sell them if I can. Not only do I want them off my Macbook, I want them out of my house and life forever.

What a joke of a game, company and horrible tech community on EA's part. The fans of the game should not have to go through the trouble of explaining and finding solid solutions for other fans. That's the company's **** job.

I will be banning EA from my list of gaming companies forever. I was considering installing Boot Camp on my Mac and playing, but then I thought to myself, "Is it really worth the trouble to buy 5 games that I downloaded from Amazon as MAC DOWNLOAD ONLY (The rest are on Win/Mac Disks) in disk format so that I can play this worthless piece of crap? No, it isn't." Hell, my boyfriend even offered to buy me the 5 games because he knew I enjoyed playing. I told him thanks, but not to waste his money as much as I wasted mine.

I really hope the fans of this game, PC and MAC alike, realize that the only way they are going to get the game fixed and playable to everyone's liking is to just boycott it entirely. Don't play it, don't buy it and pretend it doesn't even exist.

I'm done. EA, you just lost a customer for good and one that wasn't even into the franchise for very long. Enjoy my money, jerks. You're obviously not doing anything for your customers with it.
    here here
  • AgentTexasAgentTexas Posts: 61 Member
    edited November 2012
    If you're so fed up why did you bother posting this? This isn't ignoring them at all, not to be mean or anything but if I was really angry I'd not even make a forum post at all. Just saying.

I get you're angry I've had my moments of thinking the games are crap, trust me! They've lied and refused to help me so many times I've quit playing it for months. I can't even use any store content and they said "let's go to level two, you will be emailed" and it's been a week. Yes, the seasons has issues but instead of blowing up on the forum perhaps you should just sell them to someone who wants them. Or you could have tried some trouble shooting to get it working. Mine was running really bad and I was able to fix it ON MY OWN.

So before you got angry and tried to get everyone to boycott the company, maybe you should have tried some things.

Have a good day. :roll:
  • ashjack20ashjack20 Posts: 163 Member
    edited November 2012
    I'm sitting here wondering if I should even bother replying to you at all, as you stated in the beginning of your post in similar fashion criticizing me for doing so entirely, but then I reread your post again and noticed that your are being rather... how should I say... hypocritical?
    If you're so fed up why did you bother posting this? This isn't ignoring them at all, not to be mean or anything but if I was really angry I'd not even make a forum post at all. Just saying.

Why did you bother to post to this thread in the first place? Looking at the title, you could see it was going to be a winded rant. There are plenty, and I mean PLENTY, on this forum alone doing the same thing. There are threads that have been started to try and get a Guru to give us some heads up or advice on the game as well. Also, considering that the community here in the Mac boards barely, if not at all, gets a response from any tech support via phone call, email or even here in the forums, I don't see why I shouldn't. It wouldn't make much of a difference considering that they ignore us.
    I get you're angry I've had my moments of thinking the games are crap, trust me! They've lied and refused to help me so many times I've quit playing it for months. I can't even use any store content and they said "let's go to level two, you will be emailed" and it's been a week. Yes, the seasons has issues but instead of blowing up on the forum perhaps you should just sell them to someone who wants them. Or you could have tried some trouble shooting to get it working. Mine was running really bad and I was able to fix it ON MY OWN.

So, you can see just how bad the game is and you've even gotten to the point of not playing yourself for months, either from distaste and disappointment or a small personal boycott. But you still have the nerve to go to the forums and rant/criticize about it to others who also rant about the game as well? It seems that you and I are no different, really.

Also, I've done troubleshooting with each EP, SP and Patch that has come out. I've found solutions and fixes and posted them here in the forums myself. I've looked at other forums, blogs, websites (EA and Independent) as well before I decided to give up on these games. I'm not lazy or confused like many other players. I actually took the time out to go through my system and see if I could find simple fixes for them. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, removed specific games, patched, etc.

Good for you on fixing it yourself. I applaud you. However, do not assume that others have not done the same before coming to the conclusion that there really isn't a solid solution and just have to give up entirely on something that they put time, money and effort into trying to enjoy.

But I'm sure, like in most communities with forums, I'm going to get a rebellious reply trying to show me just how wrong I am for making such a worthless post to begin with. Which is fine. It's your opinion, really. But, this is mine and I felt that I should share it, along with the many other fans who are just as disgruntled and angered as myself who have done the same before me.

And yes, please have a good day as well :)
  • 86luvhim8886luvhim88 Posts: 26 Member
    edited November 2012
    AgentTexas :

Your reply is pointless...the whole point of her posting this is to get EA's attention. They can't fix a situation they don't know about *******
  • extremeasaurextremeasaur Posts: 2,701 Member
    edited November 2012
    I SAY : POST IT : The Squeaky wheel gets the oil!
  • ivinianivinian Posts: 1,957 Member
    edited November 2012
    I can't say I disagree... I do love my Simming and I've been playing a lot longer--about two years. I'm not quite at that point where I'm just ready to throw it out the window, but I'm getting there quickly. Like you, I'm completely not willing to install and figure out and run Boot Camp just so I can get a working game that's supposed to be Mac-friendly to start with!

I'm never buying another EA game. They've landed on my blacklist. TS3 is the last one. I'm not getting SimCity, not getting TS4 when it finally comes out, none of it. EA might have gotten a lot of my money with TS3, but they better enjoy it, because there will be no other EA games entering my home. NEVER. EA's demonstrated just how deeply-entrenched they are in the modern gaming industry's practices of churning out games with insufficient QA, little in the way of addressing of glitches and bugs till way way too late, and letting modders fix the stuff they should have fixed to begin with. If TS3 is this bad, I can't even imagine how bad TS4 will be. Hopefully a Kickstarter Sim-like game will come along that will be a lot better. When that happens, I'm jumping ship!

And this is from someone who loves TS3. So... EA, hope you heard me loud and clear here. I heart the gurus, like the devs I've interacted with, enjoy the game, am delighted when it's all working like it should, but wow, I never signed on to become a software engineer just to play a game!
  • beaglelover2008beaglelover2008 Posts: 4,758 Member
    edited November 2012
    I SAY : POST IT : The Squeaky wheel gets the oil!

I wasn't planning on saying anything but this is absolutely true. If you have a whole bunch of silently dissatisfied customers, boo hoo. It's not a problem because there isn't a fuss. But when it gets so loud that it becomes a huge problem, eventually they can't ignore it anymore. They just can't. (they are right now, however)
    edited November 2012
    Not ignoring it enough to move it to the Ideas & Feedback board.

Classy, EA. Very.

From what I understand about the forum title for Mac users, which is "Mac Discussions," I should be able to post something along the lines of discussing how your game does not work for Mac users AT ALL, along with posting my techniques on trying to get the game to play in the Mac board without it being moved.

Unless, I am going to get an answer to my questions here, which I doubt.
  • Faith12368Faith12368 Posts: 2,997 Member
    edited November 2012
    Unfortunately hon, they probably didn't even read it, just saw the title and threw you into their waste bin or toilet bowl that is I&F. They do that all the time. Maybe if you try changing your title to something like "Hey SGGraham check this out" or something, he may jump in and offer you some sort of explanation. Just trying to help and I don't blame you for being angry.
    Long live the new Doctor!
  • XRumblingcdsXXRumblingcdsX Posts: 43
    edited November 2012
    I find your being rather unreasonable. But if you want to stop playing this game well that's your decision. A better attitude goes a long way tho...

Try trouble shooting.

Try researching, and seeing if anyone else has come up with a solution.

Also, you could try BOOT CAMP. Works for other games. (you shouldn't have a mac if you want to game).

You could also try waiting. I know a lot of people are impatient and demanding these days, but they could fix this in a patch :). I'd bet they are working on it.

I'm sure your out, done, FINISHED and won't be reading this :roll:
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited November 2012
    Part of the problem is that people who have severe problems like you are the minority. The majority of players are like me, have had very few bugs and none game breaking. I've been playing Sims since Sims 2 came out and I've never had major bugs.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
    edited November 2012
    While I certainly appreciate some feedback and opinions, I'm going to have to disagree with some. This one sepcifically:
    Try trouble shooting.

Try researching, and seeing if anyone else has come up with a solution.

Also, you could try BOOT CAMP. Works for other games. (you shouldn't have a mac if you want to game).

You could also try waiting. I know a lot of people are impatient and demanding these days, but they could fix this in a patch. I'd bet they are working on it.

Here is a quote of my own, which I posted in response to someone else who had the same mindset:
    Also, I've done troubleshooting with each EP, SP and Patch that has come out. I've found solutions and fixes and posted them here in the forums myself. I've looked at other forums, blogs, websites (EA and Independent) as well before I decided to give up on these games. I'm not lazy or confused like many other players. I actually took the time out to go through my system and see if I could find simple fixes for them. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, removed specific games, patched, etc.

And this myth that "You shouldn't have a Mac if you want to game" is getting old and tiring. There are plenty of developers who are warming up to the idea and progressing towards making games compatible with Macs. They know that there is a gaming community that use them and it is growing and it's going to continue to grow.

As for waiting, for some fans, they've been waiting since Pets and half of the patches since then still haven't fixed anything. In regards to Boot Camp, I have to agree with many other users and say that if the game is advertised to be playable and function on a Mac OS, then I shouldn't have to use Boot Camp to play it.
  • MyyybestfriendMyyybestfriend Posts: 1,404 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Well, if you're fed up then you're fed up, and there's nothing else we, EA or anyone can do. Just a heads up to save you TIME, you cannot sell your games to a local game store, they refuse PC games only because it is extremely easy to copy them. Your best bet is Ebay or Amazon or even craigslist.

I've had these days where I'm frustrated with some crashing or petty issues, and I've thought of just not playing all together, but you know, the game is kind of like WoW, you quit, but no matter what, at some point you'll come back, because it's a game you really enjoy, regardless of the stupid ******** that happens in this game.

I will however mention that fixing the game on your part requires a lot of patience, and if it's something that you don't have then I see why you're so frustrated, this can be frustrating, the lagging, freezing, crashing, etc..
    But there are tons of other options to try before you just go ballistic and uninstall and rant.

Unfortunately, EA probably won't read it, and if they do they don't see 1 customer a very huge loss. My advice to you is to give it a few more tries, if not at least keep your games for a few months because if you sell all of your games and get that strong urge to play again, only to realize all of your games are gone, I promise you'll be way more frustrated than you are right now. What you are having is a very common problem that happens when Expansions are released, this happens with ANY game, a lot of crashing, freezing, bugs, issues, you name it, this is why EA releases patches to fix these issues.

I have to also ask, have you made sure that your graphics card drivers are up to date? I was having every issue from freezing to crashing until I realized my graphics card drivers were WAY out of date, and updating them was the best thing I did, my game runs as smooth as butter and I haven't had an issue.

I can only suggest to maybe wait a couple of months before buying a new expansion to avoid the bugs and problems, or just deal with it if you pre-order. I never did get Supernatural, but I could post a million problems simmers had when the expansion first came out by just reading here on the forums, and plenty of simmers could tell you how it has improved since it has been released.

I have been a simmer for over 10 years now, and of course, the original sims had no problems, it wasn't near as complex as the 2nd and 3rd sims, I do know that TS3 has the most complications out of the sims series, but hey, it's just how games are now these days. I can tell you that I really don't like EA myself and I never have, but I can tell you that they do try to get their **** done because I do know they get a ton of complaints, though I don't like them, I can only appreciate them for releasing more expansions, patches to fix issues or patches to add things in, and so forth.

So all I'm saying is, just give it more thought before freaking out.
    edited November 2012
    Soo i'm guessing you are not out, done, and FINISHED? :P
    ashjack20 wrote:
    And this myth that "You shouldn't have a Mac if you want to game" is getting old and tiring. There are plenty of developers who are warming up to the idea and progressing towards making games compatible with Macs. They know that there is a gaming community that use them and it is growing and it's going to continue to grow.

well let me ask you this:
    Would you still be complaining so heavily (or care at all) if you had a PC and your game worked just fine? Well if it's only a mac issue maybe saying "You shouldn't have a Mac if you want to game" is accurate. Friends i know that want to game on a mac have BOOT CAMP or have gone out and bought a PC specifically for gaming.

You have a few options:
    1. Buy a PC.
    2. Fix the problem yourself.
    3. wait for the problem to get patched.
    4. quit playing :) and i honestly don't think you want to do that since your still on here posting :P
  • MaikenvvMaikenvv Posts: 14
    edited November 2012
    Soo i'm guessing you are not out, done, and FINISHED? :P
    ashjack20 wrote:

well let me ask you this:
    Would you still be complaining so heavily (or care at all) if you had a PC and your game worked just fine? Well if it's only a mac issue maybe saying "You shouldn't have a Mac if you want to game" is accurate. Friends i know that want to game on a mac have BOOT CAMP or have gone out and bought a PC specifically for gaming.

You have a few options:
    1. Buy a PC.
    2. Fix the problem yourself.
    3. wait for the problem to get patched.
    4. quit playing :) and i honestly don't think you want to do that since your still on here posting :P

If EA didn't say the Sims was compatible with mac, I would agree with you. But it says with huge letter on the box that mac is working and supported. Neither is true. And that is why a lot of mac players are angry.

And about playing games on the mac. I play a lot of games these days. Some are even released from the Mac App Store. Saying that is like saying you shouldn't use adobe photoshop on windows. It's just not true and referring to old times.
  • ivinianivinian Posts: 1,957 Member
    edited November 2012
    I'm certainly no stranger to the idea of uninstalling a game that's just too dang buggy to enjoy playing. Did that yesterday to a game I'd previously enjoyed quite a bit. I'm still totally on board with getting rid of a game that's finally seen its bugginess outweigh its fun factor. I'm also on board with the OP saying that's where she's at mentally; suspect she'd get further with a written letter to the EA BOD in an envelope filled with broken game CDs :twisted: , but even a board post at least gets the message out.

I hate to say it, being a fangirl of Macs from the beginning, but EA's TS3 fiasco has been the ticket to my decision not to buy another Mac, either. Now that my favorite recipe software no longer works on this OS, there's not much left tying me to this platform! Thank goodness I thought to buy TS3 on disk.. ;)
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited November 2012
    Oh do grow up XRumblingcdsX and stop airing your ignorance in public. There are 2 issues here:

- the game is marketed as Mac compatible and should therefore be supported by the developer on that platform. It isn't and has never been as EA do not know how to support Macs, relying on Cider instead. They chose to save money by dropping Aspyr to natively port the game for the Mac OS. Aspyr were responsible for TS1 and TS2 on the Mac, it worked great and was properly supported.

- instead of posting in the Mac forum on their own website they choose to disregard any beneficial customer service and instead move or delete threads to a completely irrelevant forum in the hope they get buried and quickly forgotten about. Why don't you have a quick look over on the Mac forum? You'll see that there are a lot of us trying to help others.

Everyone else on this thread has managed to reply in an adult manner, why don't you give it a go?
    apple-signature.png
  • joshirejoshire Posts: 645 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Gosh, why so dramatic :roll: everyone knows there are millions of problems with the game, so Instead of just making a thread to say you're leaving, (on top of a million duplicates), just report your problems to the bug threads and leave QUIETLY :shock: :roll: because there are others still enjoying the game.
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited November 2012
    I think stop paying out the money is the best route to go. As it affects their bottom-line enough to motivate something. Honestly so late in the game i wonder if they'll provide a solution to the mac compatibility problems. For sure it's on on the user's end it's on the coding end of the game that is the problem. Instead of designing the game to function specifically on mac the convert them over. Which causes a number of issues.

At best i think what should happen is if sims 4 comes out they actually design sims 4 for the two separate systems or go with a better Mac program. I don't think they should drop mac users though because that's a huge chunk of profit lost. I do feel they should treat them as two separate consoles so to speak, so that the mac players run smoother and actually have a staff dedicated to solving their issues and to solely relying on the players to always resolve the issues.
  • joshirejoshire Posts: 645 New Member
    edited November 2012
    lisamwitt wrote:
    Part of the problem is that people who have severe problems like you are the minority. The majority of players are like me, have had very few bugs and none game breaking. I've been playing Sims since Sims 2 came out and I've never had major bugs.

Preach it!
    edited November 2012
    You're a walking contradiction, joshire:
    Gosh, why so dramatic everyone knows there are millions of problems with the game, so Instead of just making a thread to say you're leaving, (on top of a million duplicates), just report your problems to the bug threads and leave QUIETLY because there are others still enjoying the game.

Ok, everyone (or at least millions) know that there are issues, but you agree with this person as well?
    lisamwitt wrote:
    joshire wrote: Preach it!

So, which is it: Millions of people know the game has had issues for years and others should just remain quiet about it and not let the company, it's tech staff and others know of it?

OR

The problems are really small and a lot of people do not know about it and the ones whining just do not know how to play the game properly?

If you're going to criticize and bully, do it right, please.

And like BlueBellFlora has stated, in the Mac forums there are plenty and threads and people trying to help each other with the bug problems, myself included. While I have certainly given up in playing the games, I'm still going to try and help others with their issues. I got my rant out, which included my own solutions and steps, but I'm not going to stop trying to help others with their problems.

However, not one Guru or anyone from tech support has stepped up to at least tell us its getting fixed or offer any assistance. It's not just with Seasons, this goes back to Pets for goodness sake. Heck, for some, even Ambitions. For a game to have this many bugs and glitches, with systems (PC & MAC) that are either a bit out of date or up to par and above with everything, it doesn't make sense to just sit around quietly and PRAY that they take notice and fix it over time. It's been a year with some of these issues and not one proper solution has been brought up.

They either need to keep the platforms separate and develop the proper software to run on Macs like they have advertised, just like Anavastia suggested, or not offer it for Macs at all.
  • heyheybpheyheybp Posts: 34
    edited November 2012
    I support OP, and I'm shocked by how selfish some people are.

I've always thought that consumers are allowed to expect their products to work. Also, EA shouldn't treat their customers as guinea pigs and have them test the game. This is very simple, and I don't understand why it's up for debate. It's not consumer's job to test and fix a product they purchased. Unfortunately, more and more people not only expect themselves to fix the game they purchased, they want others to do the same.

To those who tell the OP to keep quiet, please remember that although EA's sloppy practice only affects Mac users now, it could also affect you in the future. At that time, other people with newer computers will tell you to shut up. Even if you have a super computer, and even if you are completely able to mod your own game, it is in YOUR interest for the OP to voice her opinion because it'll hopefully teach EA to be more careful in the future. Wouldn't it be nice if you don't have to spend as much time modding in the future? It would also be in your interest to keep more users in this game, because it'll give the game creator more incentive to further develop this game. This game wouldn't be the way it is if only people with nice PC computers play it. Come on, is this so hard to understand? Stop being selfish and stupid at the same time.

OP, it's your choice to decide whether to leave this game. Either way, I think you absolutely have the right to keep posting these messages. I can completely understand how it feels to buy a defective product.
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited November 2012
    Wasn't the Sims series originally made for Macs? And wasn't Sims 3 advertized as Mac-playable?

I think those two questions trump any discussion of whether or not Macs are gaming machines.
  • CMWarrenCMWarren Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited November 2012
    macs arent really great for gaming.

thats point one. you can game on a mac, but your experince will always be substandard to a pc, which is designed with gaming in mind alot of the time, thanks to the fact that pc componants are made by many different companies, and brought together; competition means people have to work harder to make a product that stands out, where as mac makes most all of its own componants, though they have started to branch out, which is why mac's tend to struggle with games, because the lack of competition makes for substandard development. the only benifit of a mac is that because they make their own stuff to build their computers with, they have a slightly higher stability.

my second point is that you have to take into effect that the sims is a game unlike 99% of games out there, which are closed ended, lineir games. the sims is a broad, open ended sandbox. that makes it more complicated to create, and most bugs dont appear until it goes out to the broader population, who have a much larger variety of computer setups, which brings unseen bugs and glitchs out.

I dont have a spectacurly computer, but I only see maybe 1 out of ever 20 glitch/bug people complain about. I also take extreme care of my computer, maintaining it frequently. outside of the pets deformation glitch, the game works perfectly fine, even though my computer was mid-range when i bought it three years ago.

edited November 2012
    Where would be the fun in that? :shock:
    Oh do grow up XRumblingcdsX and stop airing your ignorance in public. There are 2 issues here:

Everyone else on this thread has managed to reply in an adult manner, why don't you give it a go?

I gave actual advice :P . Seasons doesn't work well for macs, right? You can wait for the next patch and see if it improves. If it doesn't, then fixing the problem for yourselves is the best route. It really isn't hard. And if you have no trouble shooting skills go get a PC if you still want to play this game and if it's worth it to you.

This is a rage/rant topic so i do intend to poke a little fun at the original author for saying she's out, done, FINISHED... and yet she's still here :roll: . You put so much effort into complaining on a subject (that's obviously been seen by someone higher up) when you could be working towards a solution on your own. :?