Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims RPG

I was out visiting the Haunted Mine the other night, and I got to thinking..

Does a seamless neighborhood and highly interactive, clickable inventory open the doorway to a possible Sims RPG?

I mean, most current RPGs aren't far off from Sims, as graphics go. They could even copy the basic concept they had for "Castaway", where your Sim has to collect pieces and complete goals to return to their own world or time.

If there was a medieval-style Sims game, with a continuous storyline (like story progression in TS3), would you play it?

What are your ideas?

Comments

• Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 916 Member
    edited June 2009
    The Sims has always been part of the RPG genre since the beginning.
  • Options
    LandaXLandaX Posts: 229 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Actually, I believe it is the 'simulation' genre.
  • Options
    WoWLynniaWoWLynnia Posts: 2,715 Member
    edited June 2009
    TS3 is more like an RPG than any other sims game already, because to get the full effect of the new wish system you have to play one sim or one family just about all the time and push them to succeed, rather than play every household in the neighborhood.
  • Options
    mikeejimbomikeejimbo Posts: 165 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I was actually just thinking about how much The Sims 3 is like an RPG actually. There are quests and skills to grind, and all that jazz.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    LandaX wrote:

Double-genre is not at all uncommon for video games. Horror/Action, for example. The Sims has always been RPG/Simulation. Skill building is a quality exclusive to RPG games. In essence, all video games are "RPGs." The term doesn't apply specifically to games like World of Warcraft or Everquest.
  • Options
    WoWLynniaWoWLynnia Posts: 2,715 Member
    edited June 2009
    Icarus wrote:
    LandaX wrote:

Double-genre is not at all uncommon for video games. Horror/Action, for example. The Sims has always been RPG/Simulation. Skill building is a quality exclusive to RPG games. In essence, all video games are "RPGs." The term doesn't apply specifically to games like World of Warcraft or Everquest.

^ This

However, WoW and EQ are MMORPG's, to be exact :P
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    WoWLynnia wrote:
    Icarus wrote:
    LandaX wrote:

^ This

However, WoW and EQ are MMORPG's, to be exact :P

Picky, picky. I should've expected that.

Woo, they get three extra letters because they're online. :roll:
  • Options
    LawertendLawertend Posts: 5,144 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I would hate for The Sims to get any more RPG than it already is. I don't like the idea of going on quests and missions. Or accomplishing goals. It's The Sims, I like to play it like a life sim, not like WoW or Runescape.

If you want a Sims RPG, play The Sims Stories series.
  • Options
    RimsimRimsim Posts: 31 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Did any of you play The Sims Online?

In that game, you could log into your own house and only visit other houses if someone was home. Which is why people had roommates that played different hours.

The downfall of the TSO was you had to become a skill bot (and actually most people just botted that part). It was boring leveling cooking to 10 by reading a book and sitting for hours and hours in between bathroom breaks for your Sim. Then you took that skill and played min-games. Which was boring. Only to earn enough money to buy hardly anything.

Anyway, if they took the Sims 3 idea of working in a "non-use" building that would help a lot.

Part of TSO was also people just were not ready for it. But now with Yoville hugely popular, people want to play games where they just chat and add some cash to make a pretty house. Heck, that's all I ever did in EQ2 :)
  • Options
    lipglosslipgloss Posts: 998 New Member
    edited June 2009
    If The Sims 3 became a quest/storyline game like an RPG, I wouldn't play it. Eventually the game would end.
  • Options
    beaynidSimbeaynidSim Posts: 784 Member
    edited June 2009
    depending on how you play it, the sims series has always been simulation with some rpg elements. skill building, classes, and quests are a part of rpgs, but its more getting immersed into an interactive storyline and playing a character role. RPG stands for Role Playing Game. skills and classes and such just help to define the role you are going for.

The sims series(and even more so with sims 3) adds the ability to make roles and characters, and tell storys. It also can be played as a more strict life simulator. Each further generation of the series has made the storyplay elements more present, but as opposed to traditional rpgs, you are playing both the characters and the man behind the curtain pulling all the strings. Its unique in that respect from other games.

As for sims online, i played it long ago and mainly used it to chat with people from different places, while having little things to keep me occupied while i was chatting :)
  • Options
    AnvilshippingAnvilshipping Posts: 240 Member
    Yeah. I've played The Sims 3 in many ways, almost always accompanied by Robert Castor and Beau Merrick... Kupo!
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Yeah. I've played The Sims 3 in many ways, almost always accompanied by Robert Castor and Beau Merrick... Kupo!

You do realize you just necro'd a post from 2009 right?
    And what's with the Moogle speak?
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »

And this why the older threads like this need to be locked as this was an old dead buried thread that just came back from the past just because the person who resurrected it couldn't find and comment on newer posts that are still being posted on.

This time last year, the older threads were locked if there wasn't any type of activity made on them since January 2014 and older. I just wish that they would go back and lock the older ones from there on back to 2009 that hasn't been commented on since then... :/

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2017
    Well, I for one had a laugh reading that old OP, because that simmer was kind of prophetic weren't they :D ? To come up with that idea before WA was released/announced, chapeau!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    lisasc360 wrote: »

And this why the older threads like this need to be locked as this was an old dead buried thread that just came back from the past just because the person who resurrected it couldn't find and comment on newer posts that are still being posted on.

This time last year, the older threads were locked if there wasn't any type of activity made on them since January 2014 and older. I just wish that they would go back and lock the older ones from there on back to 2009 that hasn't been commented on since then... :/

He actually didn't dig it up at random...it was linked in my recent thread on the same topic.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    lisasc360 wrote: »

He actually didn't dig it up at random...it was linked in my recent thread on the same topic.

Ah, okay then. I was just wondering how they even found this thread but I see that someone had linked it into another thread. Thanks for clearing that up for me... :)

• Options
    Supersoph13Supersoph13 Posts: 647 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Well, I for one had a laugh reading that old OP, because that simmer was kind of prophetic weren't they :D ? To come up with that idea before WA was released/announced, chapeau!

Haha, i had the same reaction. And the 'medieval-style sim game' :astonished: I'm like, was this secretly EA posting?! Lol. :lol:
    My Sim, living her best life...
    pxs8nzx2nk1b.png
    #RagsToRiches
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Haha, i had the same reaction. And the 'medieval-style sim game' :astonished: I'm like, was this secretly EA posting?! Lol. :lol:
    Yes, exactly :D
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

"Kupo" is my catchphrase, kupo! And it was my catchphrase even before I knew it was the Moogle's catchphrase, kupo! (I used to think Squeenix stole it from me)
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member

"Kupo" is my catchphrase, kupo! And it was my catchphrase even before I knew it was the Moogle's catchphrase, kupo! (I used to think Squeenix stole it from me)

Unless you have been saying that for like 30 years, I'm willing to bet you heard it before you started saying it. Saying you started doing something before you noticed it was part of pop culture is hard to believe, harder to prove.
  • Options
    So not only did this thread get shipwrecked and marooned in the time space continuum apparrantly this Moogle is the only survivor. B)
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited February 2017
    I like that the sims is a perpetual game and never ends, life for my sims continue generation after generation, with everything being different as you play. It is more like life, you never know what's going to happen the next day. The life of a sim is a never ending story that you continue generation after generation. It is what keeps me playing. Everyday is a new day. Waiting with excitement to see what that new day will bring.
  • Options
    SimKeats wrote: »

Unless you have been saying that for like 30 years, I'm willing to bet you heard it before you started saying it. Saying you started doing something before you noticed it was part of pop culture is hard to believe, harder to prove.

I started saying Kupo when I was 6 in about February-March 2005. I was'nt in school yet (just a small daycare), and did'nt know many people, but I thought it was super cute. Kupo! While my first Final Fantasy videogame (and the first time I saw a Moogle) was Final Fantasy XII. Kupo!