Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So did anyone elses Kids...

Not go to school a day in the winter. My game has a holiday every Tuesday of the season and obviously you don't go to school. But winter started on a Friday and we got blizzards over the weekend. (cool.) Mon = No school for a snow day. (awesome!) Tues, snowflake day. Wed, another snow day... Thursday ANOTHER snow day and then Friday it was spring. :/

I'm sure my sim kids were elated to have all that time off but sheesh! Not realistic at all!

Has this happened to anyone else?

Comments

• AlisoxAlisox Posts: 1,640 Member
    edited November 2012
    I don't understand your complaint.

How is that unrealistic? I've missed a whole week of school from a blizzard before.
  • MichelleSouliaMichelleSoulia Posts: 44
    edited November 2012
    Alisox wrote:
    I don't understand your complaint.

How is that unrealistic? I've missed a whole week of school from a blizzard before.
    It's not a horrible thing, it just made it annoying because I had a child age up on the second day of winter and she couldn't go to school until spring and start high school.
  • Tunny1200Tunny1200 Posts: 18 Member
    edited November 2012
    Yep my child missed a whole week of school due to the snow but I play with long lifetimes so my kid still made it to primary school
  • cherid87120cherid87120 Posts: 2,823 Member
    edited November 2012
    I live in New Mexico and kids have missed more than one day in a week here due to snow... sounds pretty realistic to me!
  • xJustBreathexJustBreathe Posts: 220 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Not go to school a day in the winter. My game has a holiday every Tuesday of the season and obviously you don't go to school. But winter started on a Friday and we got blizzards over the weekend. (cool.) Mon = No school for a snow day. (awesome!) Tues, snowflake day. Wed, another snow day... Thursday ANOTHER snow day and then Friday it was spring. :/

I'm sure my sim kids were elated to have all that time off but sheesh! Not realistic at all!

Has this happened to anyone else?
    Confused as to why you're complaining... It's very realistic, I've missed more than a week off due to things like snow storms and when Hurricane Sandy hit NY, I missed precisely a week. Make your seasons longer if it's that much of a big deal. The entire season of winter isn't an ongoing snow storm. At least, not in my game.
  • LillyLoserFaceLillyLoserFace Posts: 332
    edited November 2012
    I live in maine,
    nothing wrong with snow ahah.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited November 2012
    I was wondering about that. Luckily, the school did not close so my kids went to school during the blizzard...LOL

I also changed the length of the seasons to nine so the holiday would move around a bit. I had it set to 7 days but the Holiday was always on a Monday....bleh
  • Lizziemay12Lizziemay12 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited November 2012
    In real life, I missed 2 weeks off school because of the snow. I tore my tendens in my foot a couple of days previous and could go back to school on the Monday but it had snowed heavily and there was a strong chance I'd break it.

Sounds pretty cool. I think the snow looks so beautiful. I have yet to play Spring to tell what my favourite season is, but so far it's between Autumn and Winter. I loved Twinbrook when Jack Frost came to town ;)

The only thing that's wrong is that it's Fall and not Autumn. Ah well. Can't all be winners :)
    Origin Username: LizzieMay +++ New friends are always welcome :)
  • SamacoySamacoy Posts: 446
    edited November 2012
    I wish I could've missed school for an entire week because of snow. My hometown gets too much snow on a regular basis to cancel classes for something as trivial as snow.
  • LaughterIsLife95LaughterIsLife95 Posts: 29
    edited November 2012
    Like others said, make your seasons longer. You can also use cheats to make the snow lighter or disappear so there won't be a snow day. This week was actually my first week back to school since Sandy, so missing that much school is pretty realistic haha.
  • Alexis402Alexis402 Posts: 238 Member
    edited November 2012
    Than you would hate my high school i went too. hahah :) Where i lived they would cancel school just for heavy rain. But I have this happen once. I like since most schools don't close just for a day during blizzards.
  • quosqua39quosqua39 Posts: 33 Member
    edited November 2012
    well its not unheard of until you think that a week in the sims is more than a week in real life, so if you think of it that way its really unrealistic.
  • eliwood_saineliwood_sain Posts: 115
    edited November 2012
    It screws up after school activities, though. The only decent counter is to get rid of snow. That helps out a bit more (add it in occasionally when you want a day off from school).

I've had my child in one of my games since like Spooky Day (one-week seasons). He has gone to school once between all of the weekends, holidays, and days off. He has been to one scout meeting and I'm hoping he'll get at least one more before teenager years.
  • prudencechanprudencechan Posts: 27 Member
    edited December 2012
    I'm playing on normal lifespan with a year-long winter (apocalypse challenge, sort of) and my current generation had a total of zero classes during childhood because everyday was snow day. At least they rolled fairly decent traits, since all that time spent making snow angels made the little brats' happiness meter go through the roof.

Now that they are teens, I found that if I send them to school immediately after the Snow Day message shows up, they manage to get in and have classes normally. I guess the sim has to get in the school building before 9 o'clock for it to work. I use Nraas Story Progression and Master Controller, though, so one of them might be doing the trick.

As a side note, I've never seen real snow in my life, so the whole snow day thing is only a nuisance and not relatable at all for me. (Wish we had "This heat is melting my braincells" days off school down here in the tropics. XD)
  • goofhead1goofhead1 Posts: 7,282 New Member
    edited December 2012
    We missed a whole week over here last october. It was more of the fact that trees where falling down not so much the snow but the games pretty realistic.