Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone purchasing the direct download?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    misty4mmisty4m Posts: 2,266 Member
    edited November 2012
    I've already purchased mine using origin and waiting for them to allow me to download it, I purchase all my games from origin and download them using origin.

Also when you buy your game from origin and use their digital download you never have to worry about finding your game serial number it's always there and ready for download.
    new.png
  • Options
    GlennGnerdGlennGnerd Posts: 272
    edited November 2012
    No issues except when the servers start to go down for maintenance.

Other than that, problems are usually created on the user side; i.e. failing to fully update the origin client or using a dial-up connection when you need at least a 5mbit dsl...
  • Options
    HGriffinlovessimsHGriffinlovessims Posts: 928 Member
    edited November 2012
    I preordered Supernatural like 20mins before the release time and still got the stuff!
  • Options
    GREENEYAGREENEYA Posts: 7,796 Member
    edited November 2012
    PonyRosey wrote:
    I've downloaded the base game and all but two expansion packs from Origin and have had no problems. One reason I actually like this way better is that you don't have to worry about losing the registration keys and you can easily look them up if you need to for registering your game here on thesims3.com. I love it, so personally I'd say go for it!

If you buy physical disc you will get option for digital download also.
    You can use registration keys of physical version for digital download also. :wink:

• Options
    sirona66sirona66 Posts: 5,196 Member
    edited November 2012
    i pre-oredered direct download, orgin. and now i have to say about all but 4 are digital downloads. I have never had any problems even when i moved from one computer to another and had to redownload them all.

I don't get charged till they actually give out the game, but they do a ck charge, to see if your card is ok, and you can get denyed, but if you have it in there and then order and then just leave it, till they take it no problems.

I actually enjoy not haveing to have a cd to play the game. makes it so much easier, and i don't get ruined cd's from others tossing them out of the computer, cause they want to do something different.
  • Options
    MGSFan612MGSFan612 Posts: 3,429 Member
    edited November 2012
    becca022 wrote:
    I've pre ordered through direct download for the shark and bumblebee costumes.

Just a quick question.... Does it take long to download? This is my first time.... Sorry for hijacking your thread :oops:

For me it usually takes about 20 minutes to download an EP. However it depends on your connection speed
  • Options
    MGSFan612MGSFan612 Posts: 3,429 Member
    edited November 2012
    GlennGnerd wrote:
    or using a dial-up connection when you need at least a 5mbit dsl...

:shock: Dial up internet still exists?

I thought that died in the late 90's early 2000's
  • Options
    bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited November 2012
    I will never do a digital download.
    For one thing, if my Origin/EA account every gets banned for whatever reason, I will never be able to access my games from the Launcher, I believe.
    Also, if I ever forget my login, I still wouldn't be able to access it, too!

Thirdly, if the Origin program ever shuts down, all of my digital downloads will be permanently lost, too, especially if I get a new computer!
    Fourthly, by having a physical copy, I can bring it wherever I go, I can use it whenever I want in the future, and I will have 2 copies of the game - the physical copy and the digital copy that automatically installs to my Origin program when I register it as if it was a digital download! :mrgreen: 8)
  • Options
    KayParfaitKayParfait Posts: 436 Member
    edited November 2012
    bunbunnyny wrote:
    For one thing, if my Origin/EA account every gets banned for whatever reason, I will never be able to access my games from the Launcher, I believe.

Thirdly, if the Origin program ever shuts down, all of my digital downloads will be permanently lost, too, especially if I get a new computer!
    Fourthly, by having a physical copy, I can bring it wherever I go, I can use it whenever I want in the future, and I will have 2 copies of the game - the physical copy and the digital copy that automatically installs to my Origin program when I register it as if it was a digital download! :mrgreen: 8)

That's why if you do digital downloads you backup the installers after downloading them. Simple. Much better option in my opinion, especially if you get a bad disc copy or something happens to it like you lost it. There are pros and cons to both, in the end.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    8gb thumb drives painted with Sims artwork - now there's a "physical" alternative.

and, yeah, not everyone has access to broadband.
  • Options
    SlyvanasSlyvanas Posts: 855 Member
    edited November 2012
    I personally do not favor Origin,but due to Steam not releasing Supernatural on their service and pretty sure Seasons won't be on it as well I went with Origin for Supernatural. I didn't have a problem with it at all. in my opinion I think digital is better, don't have to keep up with CDS cluttering you're home.
    oxv0Rm8.png
  • Options
    becca022becca022 Posts: 163 Member
    edited November 2012
    MGSFan612 wrote:
    becca022 wrote:

Just a quick question.... Does it take long to download? This is my first time.... Sorry for hijacking your thread :oops:

For me it usually takes about 20 minutes to download an EP. However it depends on your connection speed

Thank you. I've got a fast internet speed so hopefully it doesn't take too long.
  • Options
    becca022becca022 Posts: 163 Member
    edited November 2012
    becca022 wrote:

It depends on the speed of the internet you have....

Thank you :-)
  • Options
    BWpunisherBWpunisher Posts: 169 Member
    edited November 2012
    I decided to get the digital version of this EP. I've pretty much gone digital since Pets.

Just easier, I guess.
  • Options
    brittanyleahbrittanyleah Posts: 1,919 Member
    edited November 2012
    So I just pre ordered Seasons digital on Origin last night.

So hopefully everything goes ok :)
  • Options
    xocaptiveoxxocaptiveox Posts: 1,352 New Member
    edited November 2012
    All of my games are digital and from origin. I have never had a problem and find it much more convient. You never have to worry about losing disks, or having to have the disk in your drive, or losing your product code. It's all there.
  • Options
    brittanyleahbrittanyleah Posts: 1,919 Member
    edited November 2012
    All of my games are digital and from origin. I have never had a problem and find it much more convient. You never have to worry about losing disks, or having to have the disk in your drive, or losing your product code. It's all there.

Oh yeah I remembered about some people having a problem about buying the digital download and it saying disk not found. Hope that doesn't happen :/

I have Supernatural disk in right now. So does that mean I would take that out when I start up Seasons?
  • Options
    Lizziemay12Lizziemay12 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited November 2012
    You don't need any disc what so ever when you play a game you have downloaded through origin. You still get the features of other expansion packs.

You play through the most recent expansion or stuff pack released, no matter what order you installed them on. I play with Supernatural disc (I got it in Game before they went bust) and it works fine and then when Seasons is successfully installed I will take the disc out and put it to the side, only to use again if I have to reinstall games again.

I do like the disc version but thats only because it doesn't take as much time to download, as you have to rely on the speed of your broadband or wireless (which is so much slower) to see how fast you can download a game.

HOPEFULLY, with my student wired connection it will be OK and maybe take less than an hour. I lost my sims 3 disc when I wanted to install on my laptop and it must have taken about 3 hours to download.

I'm worried about how well seasons will work as my game is having trouble loading some content that I have. It's basically time to load stuff, not really graphics problems like the computer at home.
    Origin Username: LizzieMay +++ New friends are always welcome :)
  • Options
    pinkknight06pinkknight06 Posts: 872 Member
    edited November 2012
    becca022 wrote:

It depends on your computer. I brought supernatural from origin through direct download and it took about 2 to 3 hours for it to download. I was to tired to play afterwards but might have played for about 5 or 10 min looking through the new stuff, and then I went to bed.
  • Options
    pinkknight06pinkknight06 Posts: 872 Member
    edited November 2012
    sierra319 wrote:
    Just a quick question. I have been debating pre-ordering the direct download from origin and wanted to know if i do what time can i download it? Midnight my time(i live on the east coast) or midnight in california's time?

I also live on EST and I was able to download my Supernatural game at midnight MY TIME.
    same here
  • Options
    KaruBlackKaruBlack Posts: 89 Member
    edited November 2012
    KayParfait wrote:
    bunbunnyny wrote:

That's why if you do digital downloads you backup the installers after downloading them. Simple. Much better option in my opinion, especially if you get a bad disc copy or something happens to it like you lost it. There are pros and cons to both, in the end.
    I'm debating on getting a digital download for seasons also and what you say makes sense about backing up the digital download installers but could you tell me where I could find that?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    All origin-installed games show up in the "program files (x86)/origin games" folder if you're using vista/win 7. I'm not sure about XP and mac.

After you've copied those game folders to your backup drive you won't have to worry about downloading them again. If you plan on reinstalling The Sims 3 from origin first copy the folders back to "program files (x86)/origin games." Next, open up your origin client, goto your games library, then highlight each individual game and click download for each. It says download, and, yet, you're not actually downloading anything since the game files are already copied back into the origin folder. It will install automatically.

Note: this procedure only works with origin DD games, not from amazon DD. Those are practically installed the same as if you were running it from a dvd-rom.

So, there ya go.
  • Options
    Sj28Sj28 Posts: 7
    edited November 2012
    Hi everyone, I am new to these forums and am wanting to know about direct download for Seasons. Does anyone know how big the actual file is to download. Thank you in advance.