Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Save Issues with Supernatural and Seasons CAW: Discussion and research thread.

Comments

• Ferah1Ferah1 Posts: 35 New Member
    edited November 2012
    GlamSugar wrote:
    For those of you still having problems with Edit In Game, I've found a solution after days of trying everything. It's hilarious because it involved changing one number. I'm able to go into EIG with no problems and save perfectly now.

1. Go to your Create A World installation folder (not the one in Documents). It should be somewhere like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create a World Tool
    2. Find the file called Default and open it. If it says to choose a program to open it with, choose Notepad.
    3. Once open, scroll to the bottom and find GameVersion = 1.18.5.019037 and change the number to 1.18.4.019037 (That's right, change the 4 in the middle to a 5).
    4. Go to File and Save and you're done.

Keep the Default file open (reopen it if you've closed it already) while you're testing CAW, just to be sure. If things don't work out, just change that 4 back to a 5 and save. No harm done.

Note: This will likely only work for those with the most recent version of CAW, and I can't make any promises that it will work for everyone. But try it! I'm not pulling my hair out over CAW issues anymore. Yay. I hope it works for you guys. Good luck. :mrgreen:

I went into the file you mentioned above but mine is already showing the Game Version as being "1.18.4.019037" and I'm having the EIG issue where it deletes my lots when I save it. I'm not sure if anyone else has tested your workaround, but for me, it doesn't help. Too bad! :(
  • GlamSugarGlamSugar Posts: 103
    edited November 2012
    Ferah1 wrote:

I went into the file you mentioned above but mine is already showing the Game Version as being "1.18.4.019037" and I'm having the EIG issue where it deletes my lots when I save it. I'm not sure if anyone else has tested your workaround, but for me, it doesn't help. Too bad! :(

The same thing was happening to me a few days ago, but it was because I hadn't used CAW in a long while and forgot to add a new layer and save it before going into EIG to add lots. I spent a while trying to figure out what was wrong before I realized. :oops: :mrgreen: Sadly after figuring that out my game began crashing while loading EIG after I had placed and saved my first set of lots.

I'm sorry the fix didn't work for you. Maybe if you downloaded CAW right when the patch came out you ended up with 1.18.4 instead of 1.18.5? I just downloaded a new CAW installer two days ago.
  • ejavornikejavornik Posts: 34
    edited November 2012
    GlamSugar wrote:
    For those of you still having problems with Edit In Game, I've found a solution after days of trying everything. It's hilarious because it involved changing one number. I'm able to go into EIG with no problems and save perfectly now.

1. Go to your Create A World installation folder (not the one in Documents). It should be somewhere like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create a World Tool
    2. Find the file called Default and open it. If it says to choose a program to open it with, choose Notepad.
    3. Once open, scroll to the bottom and find GameVersion = 1.18.5.019037 and change the number to 1.18.4.019037 (That's right, change the 4 in the middle to a 5).
    4. Go to File and Save and you're done.

Keep the Default file open (reopen it if you've closed it already) while you're testing CAW, just to be sure. If things don't work out, just change that 4 back to a 5 and save. No harm done.

Note: This will likely only work for those with the most recent version of CAW, and I can't make any promises that it will work for everyone. But try it! I'm not pulling my hair out over CAW issues anymore. Yay. I hope it works for you guys. Good luck. :mrgreen:

Well, I gave it a try, but unfortunately didn't work out... I don't know what else to do!
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for the info Tea - it seems my fear was justified and they did not account for the folks who can't yet get the ep. I definitely see what you are saying for sure. I am definitely also hoping this gets fixed for all you wonderful creators no matter what the cause. I love the user created worlds and marvel at being able to share visions of others. As a writer, nothing is worse in the artistic world than having creativity squashed in my veiw as a fellow artist. I may not make worlds but enjoy those made and the imagination that goes into them completely. So regardless of the cause I pray this issue is solved and all our wonderful creators - new ones and experienced ones can get back to the business they love - creating - and the rest of us enjoy.

It is also very nice of you to use some of your limited time trying to get to the bottom of this issue. Never mind going out of your way to explain it to me - thank you very much. Highly appreciated. It is one of the many things that make you so dear to many of us.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ejavornikejavornik Posts: 34
    edited November 2012
    You know all these problems make me wonder why do I even update my game... The hole to & fro situation is just exhausting. I think the next time I find a working CAW version I will stick with it till its absolutely vital that I update...
  • WarpedWorldWarpedWorld Posts: 28
    edited November 2012
    I only have the Launcher installer, it disappears after I install it!!!!
  • EvilsideEvilside Posts: 4 New Member
    edited November 2012
    any word about the problems installing custom worlds to the game, i'm having the same problems.Also thanks for the tip of minimizing screen during eig mode,no crashes now.Now hopefully if theres a fix i dont lose all my work on my world.
  • martys15martys15 Posts: 7,790 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Here's how the message appears when saving the neighborhood.

58802613.jpg

Translation:

Attention! lot file is read-only and can not be saved. Change the file attribute and try again.

When you start editing in the game the game freezes and I can see my wallpaper in windows.

wenger-facepalm.jpg
  • CrismitCrismit Posts: 182 Member
    edited November 2012
    martys15 wrote:
    Here's how the message appears when saving the neighborhood.

58802613.jpg

Translation:

Attention! lot file is read-only and can not be saved. Change the file attribute and try again.

When you start editing in the game the game freezes and I can see my wallpaper in windows.

wenger-facepalm.jpg

I have the same problem. :cry:
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited November 2012
    *Sigh*

I officially give up!

Now I've got a problem with saving. I opened a new world I had started yesterday (since I can't get my other into the game) and placed 10 lots with roads. I chose 'save as' and gave my world a new save name and it said 'save unsuccesful'. I tried it a couple of times, trying different things. It was making the save files in the folder so I closed the world and loaded up a save file: the roads were there but the lots had vanished.

I know that people have been having trouble with lots disappearing when using EIG... but I hadn't used EIG.

*Even bigger sigh*

I just hope EA fix this soon. I'm fed up.

edit: I just found that it isn't saving the 'settings' file.
  • NavazzahNavazzah Posts: 156 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I give up, too. I re-installed CAW one more time and still get Read-only Lots -warnings when saving and crashing EIG. Four more days, just four more days... EA, you better have a fix waiting. :?

I also still keep getting the incorrect "Insufficient memory" status by the Crash Log Analyzer after EIG crashes, so it really seems that EA forgot to make Supernatural a Large Address Aware. Still, if I try to make it Large Address Aware with the CFF Explorer, the game crashes even more quicker. :cry:
    edited November 2012
    When EA changed it to LAA - all their games were changed at the TS3W.exe for LAA (and we do DEP eceptions to the same exe), so it would cover every ep and sp period. The game starts now through the base game - everything is done through the base game and that exe. There is no forgetting to do it, it is automatic - but CAW crashing has nothing to do with the game made LAA - you have to make every CAW update LAA as CAW is not LAA nor does it have a DEP exception - so you will always just use 2 gigs of ram until YOU fix it. It has to be done everytime you update it.

But that has nothing to do with the present situation - that is because we do not have the new ep yet, at least in part.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited November 2012
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    When EA changed it to LAA - all their games were changed at the made the TS3W.exe Laa so it would cover every ep and sp period. The game starts now through the base game - everything is done through the base game and that exe. There is no forgetting to do it, it is automatic - but CAW crashing has nothing to do with the game made LAA - you have to make every CAW update LAA as CAW is not LAA nor does it have a DEP exception - so you will always just use 2 gigs of ram until YOU fix it. It has to be done everytime you update it.

But that has nothing to do with the present situation - that is because we do not have the new ep yet.

This is from MTS2:
    I also heard somewhere that EA forgot to make SN large address aware, so I linked it up also with LAA. You should have the same function with CFF Explorer as with LAA. Double check to make sure it's still connected to the CFFE.
    Perhaps they forgot to link the Supernatural to the TS3W.exe file. I don't know. I'm not an expert on that.

I also do not have a crashing CAW. Besides the saving issues, my CAW works. It's the EIG that crashes and every time the CLA gives the same reason; Insufficient memory. I always make my CAW LAA, so that is not causing it.

edited November 2012
    They were mistaken - I assure you SN is LAA. I run huge worlds with lots of sims and lots for up to 10 or more hours at a session and could not do that if SN was not LAA. The game is indeed accessing my 8 gigs of gaming ram - also the fps limiter I am using also runs through the TS3w exe and if SN was not somehow "connected" which by the way is impossible for SN not to be connected to the base game - I could not run my limiter or start the game period.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited November 2012
    Oh, okay. I just have to wonder where unearth the CLA is coming up with the insufficient memory error, if that is not the reason my EIG is crashing, which is also happening to others, as well. I wonder if anyone else has tested their crash logs with the CLA. Maybe it just comes up with that one because it can't figure out anything else.
    edited November 2012
    It may be the new coding the Crash analyser doesn't recognize or it may even be memory leaks galore - you can't have that many untied links in programming and not expect memory leakage - there is really no telling - but if it was me instead of driving my self nuts over it - I would simply wait until I had the ep and installed it to see what happens then.

But as we know CAW likes to have 'memory" type errors more often than not even if someone does not have their game updated properly - it starts throwing insufficient memory errors - but the fact is - if it was SN at fault it would not have waited until the Seasons patch to go haywire over memory. So that tells you right there it has nothing to do with SN -

In dreams - I LIVE!

• tea_and_bluestea_and_blues Posts: 889 Member
    edited November 2012
    One thing is certain: This is The Sims Team working, and people will just have to sit this out. It could take weeks to see a fix, but it's much more likely to take over a month.

Compared with every other gaming franchise I have ever hitched my wagon to, this one is the buggiest and the slowest to address issues - when it addresses them at all. I have learned it is unrealistic to expect any sort of agile response to a problem with TS3 - let alone a tool like CAW - no matter how serious the issue is.

Do not expect this to be solved in days. Be skeptical (but hope) that you will see a fix within weeks. Be prepared to be sidelined, long after you've given up completely, by a solution anywhere between now and next June. The problems with World Adventures nearly always breaking family trees took something in the vicinity of 9 months to even get a partial fix.

Think of EA as your Zen master. They are teaching you the art of patience by whacking you repeatedly with a big stick of disappointment.
    edited November 2012
    Yep - exactly Tea. You made me laugh out loud and my kitty jumped and fell off his perch. Which made me laugh even harder. He's used to my grumbling at night when I am in sims, the laughter shocked him I think. Too funny, but quite true Tea. We are in part EA's whack -a - doodles...

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited November 2012
    One thing is certain: This is The Sims Team working, and people will just have to sit this out. It could take weeks to see a fix, but it's much more likely to take over a month.

Compared with every other gaming franchise I have ever hitched my wagon to, this one is the buggiest and the slowest to address issues - when it addresses them at all. I have learned it is unrealistic to expect any sort of agile response to a problem with TS3 - let alone a tool like CAW - no matter how serious the issue is.

Do not expect this to be solved in days. Be skeptical (but hope) that you will see a fix within weeks. Be prepared to be sidelined, long after you've given up completely, by a solution anywhere between now and next June. The problems with World Adventures nearly always breaking family trees took something in the vicinity of 9 months to even get a partial fix.

Think of EA as your Zen master. They are teaching you the art of patience by whacking you repeatedly with a big stick of disappointment.

At least there are many of us suffering together. I'll just have to go back to my pen and paper plans and prepare.

I really hope they fix this soon though.
    edited November 2012
    Cinderellimouse -

This line of yours :

"I really hope they fix this soon though."

absolutely has to be the most used statement in the forums as it seems we are all constantly having to use those same words. Just once - just one lousy time I wish they would get it right the first time for everybody.

I wonder if we did a search using your words, just how many hits it will come up with? Probably break the search bar. hehehe. I think we would all go into shock if we ever got a new ep that worked in conjuction with the patch and the game - and no one would believe it truly worked right. Not that this would ever happen of course.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited November 2012

That was so well said. :D

Anyways, I'm just gonna forget CAW for now and just sit and wait. I've been meaning to upgrade my computer, so I'm just gonna concentrate on that, instead. :)
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited November 2012
    Navazzah wrote:

That was so well said. :D

Anyways, I'm just gonna forget CAW for now and just sit and wait. I've been meaning to upgrade my computer, so I'm just gonna concentrate on that, instead. :)

Except going to a Zen Master you expect to be learning patience and acceptance of the lame things in life, a game we expect fun and excitement... not frustration and aggravation.

If I had updated I would actually toss this game. It's hit the level of Not worth it any more. Especially if it does take longer then a week after Seasons to update CAW. :?
  • GlamSugarGlamSugar Posts: 103
    edited November 2012
    Well, I'm back to join the CAW Isn't Working Club. After doing everything right, many successful saves, and much happy lot placing, the game now refuses to save in EIG. It doesn't matter what lots I place. Every single save attempt (after waiting about an hour for it to save, mind you) gives me an error for a different lot. A different lot every time! Why?! Whyyyy? So I guess every lot is now corrupt, or some other CAWlogical thing. I've even tried working on old saves and it's still doing it. It's like CAW becomes randomly possessed. There are still things I can try to get it working and all, but wow.

I'm with martys15 on this one.
    firstworldproblemsgirl.jpg
  • tea_and_bluestea_and_blues Posts: 889 Member
    edited November 2012
    Except going to a Zen Master you expect to be learning patience and acceptance of the lame things in life, a game we expect fun and excitement... not frustration and aggravation.

Yep. Consequently to all I said, The Sims is by an enormous margin the least fun game I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. The moment another company expends the time and resources to make something similar, I will be gone for good. Unfortunately as it stands EA has an absolute monopoly on my favourite genre.

I've heard countless simmers say the same. The market is wide open, aching for a competitor, and it will hopefully one day make that competitor very rich, and EA one 100th as frustrated as I've had to be over a literally constant stream of shoddy code plastered over with sickly bright marketing.

Edit: Also, do not worry too much, your lots themselves are possibly not corrupt. Some investigations by granthes on MTS:
    And.. It looks like what is happening is that the <length>xxx</length> entry for each of the <PackagedFile/> sections is being calculated incorrectly by the program that wrote those files. Each of the packages and PNG files in the sims3pack is there in its entirety, but the length of each one is short by between 100 and 750 bytes. This adds up to a bunch of incorrect offsets.

I suspect that the game cannot load these files correctly (although I won't test that because I don't want to damage my game setup just now)

I also suspect that someone with just a touch of programming skill could easily write a utility to fix these corrupted sims3pack files. Just scan for either "DBPF" or "PNG" and use that for the offsets. Scan to the NEXT one and subtract one offset from the other to get the length.

http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=490209
    edited November 2012
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Cinderellimouse -

This line of yours :

"I really hope they fix this soon though."

absolutely has to be the most used statement in the forums as it seems we are all constantly having to use those same words. Just once - just one lousy time I wish they would get it right the first time for everybody.

I wonder if we did a search using your words, just how many hits it will come up with? Probably break the search bar. hehehe. I think we would all go into shock if we ever got a new ep that worked in conjuction with the patch and the game - and no one would believe it truly worked right. Not that this would ever happen of course.

1086 results for 'I really hope they fix this soon' :D I actually thought it would be more!

I agree with you about the 'sickly bright marketing' tea_and_blues.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top