Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Save Issues with Supernatural and Seasons CAW: Discussion and research thread.

Comments

• snowdustmelodysnowdustmelody Posts: 385 Member
    edited November 2012
    HKateS wrote:
    OK, so I don't know what I did, but everything is working fine for me now. Honestly, I didn't do a thing other than what I have already said, which didn't work before, but I left it a while, tried it again, and now I can not only get into EIG with my actual world file, but it runs smoothly (albeit a little bit slowly), allows me to do as I wish, saves completely correctly, and I don't experience any lot loss or anything. This is a complete turnaround from what I was able to do before and it's very encouraging for me... Unfortunately as I didn't do anything to trigger it, I can't tell you guys what to do...

If and when I get to the stage of exporting, I'll let you guys know if it works or not.

Can you go into edit in game multiple times without any problems?
    tumblr_mfgza8NCk51qfwt9io1_500.gif

• laelae86laelae86 Posts: 76 New Member
    edited November 2012
    CAW won't even open for me. :cry:
  • DigstarDigstar Posts: 308 Member
    edited November 2012
    I did the usual reinstall of CAW and added the caw.exe to LAA & pasted all my work back into the my documents EA folder. I had the read only problem with a large number of my lots when saving after making only terrain adjustments. I tried to save again and the problem re-occurred.

I then selected "save as", changed the file name, and my world saved without any errors whatsoever. I was wondering if the read only lot bug is more of an issue with worlds created on older CAW versions on the initial save?
  • ShallaeShallae Posts: 3,166 Member
    edited November 2012
    Just wanted to say that I am also having issues with CAW. I am unable to enter EIG as it just crashes to the desktop. Hopefully EA will do something about this soon. I want to work on my world :/
  • Dustin1978Dustin1978 Posts: 18
    edited November 2012
    I found that EIG doesn't crash if I minimize the game while it loads my world. So I click EIG and after I see it begin to load I ALT+TAB out and wait a minute or 3 and then ALT+TAB back to see if it's ready.
  • anetherronanetherron Posts: 605 Member
    edited November 2012
    Having problem with Exported worlds not installing even though the game said it does. Tried all the usual - deleting caches etc, plus tried refreshing the WPID file with S3PE as per http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=430249. The very first instance of the world I created installed fine (medium sized world) but after that...nada! I gave up and created a whole new world from scratch and still no joy.
    edited November 2012
    Ok, I'm officially giving up until CAW is unborked. These were my latest attempts at getting my world to install:
    1)Deleted all mention of it in Sims 3 folder and all caches
    2)Backed up relevant world's files in CAW
    3)Uninstalled CAW
    4)Redownloaded and reinstalled CAW
    5)Replaced world's files in CAW
    6)Changed world's WPID as in above thread
    7)Gave new name, png pic and description
    8)Hit Rebuild Route Data
    9)'Save As' with new name
    10)Exported
    11)Installed. Got Success message
    12)Held breath while game loaded
    13)Swore like a trooper.

Clearly all a waste of time. Except for the swearing. That helped :).
  • tea_and_bluestea_and_blues Posts: 889 Member
    edited November 2012
    Guys, you don't need to load the whole game to test if worlds are installing. Just check the My Docs/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/InstalledWorlds folder. If the install is success, your world file will appear there. If the install is not, you won't see your world.

I've been testing some of the tips shared on this thread. Dustin1978 is spot on for those having trouble loading the world. EIG does not crash if you minimise on the world file's loading screen (the second loading screen) and leave it to load minimised.
  • PyischanPyischan Posts: 411
    edited November 2012
    I've been testing some of the tips shared on this thread. Dustin1978 is spot on for those having trouble loading the world. EIG does not crash if you minimise on the world file's loading screen (the second loading screen) and leave it to load minimised.

Thanks you tea_and_blues and Thank you Dustin1978, I'll try that.
  • HKateSHKateS Posts: 89 Member
    edited November 2012
    HKateS wrote:
    OK, so I don't know what I did, but everything is working fine for me now. Honestly, I didn't do a thing other than what I have already said, which didn't work before, but I left it a while, tried it again, and now I can not only get into EIG with my actual world file, but it runs smoothly (albeit a little bit slowly), allows me to do as I wish, saves completely correctly, and I don't experience any lot loss or anything. This is a complete turnaround from what I was able to do before and it's very encouraging for me... Unfortunately as I didn't do anything to trigger it, I can't tell you guys what to do...

If and when I get to the stage of exporting, I'll let you guys know if it works or not.

Can you go into edit in game multiple times without any problems?

Er... ^^' This is a little embarrassing. Nope, it appears I can no longer do this. However, some Java update thing came up while EIG was loading up just now so I don't know if that might have had something to do with it. I'll try it again now with nothing in the background and have a look to see if it crashes again.

Edit: Nope, still doesn't work. Looks like I was just lucky that first time. Now going to try Dustin1978's advice.
  • tlc10175tlc10175 Posts: 2,550 Member
    edited November 2012
    This is getting ridiculous. I am gonna pass on buying Seasons if this isn't fixed by the time it comes out.
    I mean great and all I can still mess with CAW because I won't patch to 1.42 but just the same I wanna enjoy the features the patch offers. If I get Seasons it will auto-patch and that ain't gonna happen.

Gurus/Devs, you see people here trying everything they can. *Please* give us an update! :evil:
    edited November 2012
    Thankfully it seems that the minimising while loading now allows EIG to fully function. I'm just getting more and more nervous about having to export later on...

It would be nice to have an official fix instead of having to find workarounds all the time.
    edited November 2012
    Remember that CAW lives in a horrible limbo where it's not really fully supported by EA. We really have no rights at all to have a working CAW, let alone a more stable version that a lot of people have dreamed of. Each time you download CAW you probably ignore the horrific EULA that you click, but it states:
    THESE TOOLS & MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. EA SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, MERCHANTABILITY AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
    ANY USE YOU CHOOSE TO MAKE OF THESE TOOLS & MATERIALS IS UNDERTAKEN BY YOU ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. EA DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THESE TOOLS & MATERIALS WILL NOT CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM, NETWORK, SOFTWARE OR OTHER TECHNOLOGY.
    EA WILL NOT PROVIDE SUPPORT FOR THESE TOOLS & MATERIALS. PLEASE DO NOT CALL OR SEND EMAIL TO EA CUSTOMER SUPPORT REGARDING THESE TOOLS & MATERIALS, AS EA WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ANSWER THESE INQUIRIES.

This is possibly why we are not hearing much about the fixes. That EULA is ample reason to be stand-offish and non-committal. Fixing CAW is probably quite political. It's probably eating into a budget somewhere, or it could even be eating into the personal time of an engineer, because the higher ups at EA do not think this tool is a profitable venture worth supporting, let alone developing. At my old work I certainly found myself doing things that were not part of an official budget but that needed doing if our service was to be high quality, so I don't think it's out of the question. We are probably lucky that a huge portion of the crew working on the game care about the craft of it, and are willing to fight on our behalf to get this addressed.
    edited November 2012
    You're right, I never even really paid any attention to that... Now I feel sort of bad. I am indeed grateful for what we have... Of course I'm not going to stop hoping for a fix, but still. That's a valid point to make.
    edited November 2012
    Don't just be grateful for what you have, though do be grateful. Also be angry at such a horribly anti-consumer contract. The one thing that makes it enforceable is that CAW is offered for free, so there's no basis upon which to challenge the contract with protective legislation like New Zealand's Goods & Services Act (which in theory invalidates several clauses in boilerplate gaming industry EULAs alongside many other dodgy contracts). Personally, I'd gladly pay a moderate one-off sum for a Sims 4 CAW, if it meant it would be a supported tool.

EA and similar companies get away with FAR too much by telling everyone they should be grateful. We shouldn't fall for that.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • tlc10175tlc10175 Posts: 2,550 Member
    edited November 2012
    Setting all the EULA crap aside and despite the fact that its a free tool, it ain't cool to leave trusting customers in the middle of HUGE projects out in the cold, free tool or not. It *does not* make for good customer relations.
    There are many simmers that enjoy creator made worlds versus EA worlds and that right there worries me because they are probably thinking the same thing.

>_>

<_<

Now that being said, I *know* about the EULA and I also suspected from the day that CAW was released that a day would come that they may not support it. I have even said as much in prior posts. I was just hoping that day hadn't come yet.
  • littlelauradudelittlelauradude Posts: 21
    edited November 2012
    Did an experiment yesterday- I decided to test my world earlier than I usually would, exported ok, said it had installed fingers crossed I checked my installed worlds folder there it was success!! I thought.
    The world had no trees decorative features or spawners just the basics roads, sidewalks some lots, school, hospital etc residences all planned out and edited in game fine. Thinking I had a working copy I continued my building and finished off the world adding the missing bits, exported fine installed fine but back to square one the installed world is not showing up again. I'm just sharing my personal experience and hopefully it sheds some light, if any, on where the problems are.
  • snowdustmelodysnowdustmelody Posts: 385 Member
    edited November 2012
    [img][/img]
    Dustin1978 wrote:
    I found that EIG doesn't crash if I minimize the game while it loads my world. So I click EIG and after I see it begin to load I ALT+TAB out and wait a minute or 3 and then ALT+TAB back to see if it's ready.

This worked for me too! Thankx Dustin1978!
    tumblr_mfgza8NCk51qfwt9io1_500.gif

• Dustin1978Dustin1978 Posts: 18
    edited November 2012
    [img][/img]
    Dustin1978 wrote:

This worked for me too! Thankx Dustin1978!

Awesome! I only found out by accident because I couldn't bare to watch the crash screen come up again haha
  • ShallaeShallae Posts: 3,166 Member
    edited November 2012
    Dustin1978 wrote:

Genius! I thank you kind sir for this wonderful piece of information!
  • Kaela_87Kaela_87 Posts: 520 Member
    edited November 2012
    happyscrub wrote:
    I copycated evelyn and checked the modification date on the CAW download and I saw ‎"Yesterday, ‎November ‎03, ‎2012, ‏‎3:58:21 PM"

Gonna test it out.

Edit: Nope, still can't install new worlds, just old ones.

I edited my world over the weekend and went to export/install last night...installed OK via the launcher but doesn't show in the 'Installed Worlds' folder! :cry: I thought I was doing something wrong, but have updated my world many times before. I can install the old version of my world too. Hope it is fixed soon!
    My TS3 Wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=Kaela_87
    My TS3 Store Top 5: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14276743/#Comment_14276743
    TS3 ID: Kaela_87
    Origin ID: Purple_Aleakim
    Feel free to add me!
    edited November 2012
    Did an experiment yesterday- I decided to test my world earlier than I usually would, exported ok, said it had installed fingers crossed I checked my installed worlds folder there it was success!! I thought.
    The world had no trees decorative features or spawners just the basics roads, sidewalks some lots, school, hospital etc residences all planned out and edited in game fine. Thinking I had a working copy I continued my building and finished off the world adding the missing bits, exported fine installed fine but back to square one the installed world is not showing up again. I'm just sharing my personal experience and hopefully it sheds some light, if any, on where the problems are.

Now you mention it...the one and only time I had a working install with this patch was a test world I had tried out - only the hight map, no textures, roads, lots or anything. The moment I added textures, trees, etc, I couldn't install. Interesting...
    edited November 2012
    From Inge Jones on ModtheSims:
    I have been advised (and tested it successfully on one I was having problems with) that a workaround is to unpack the sims3pack and rename the .package to .world. Place in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds folder
    edited November 2012
    The above works! Thank you Inge Jones, and tea_and_blues for letting us know! For those of you who (like me) don't know where to find the .package files; this link will help: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Convert_Sims3Pack_to_Package

But, for those clever coders who are still trying to figure out how to fix CAW... I conducted an experiment and these are my results, do with them what you may:

1) I created a brand new world, gave it some terrain paint and did the routing, nothing else.
    2) Installed it - it worked just fine.
    3) Uninstalled it and deleted the cache and all other files.
    4) Reopened it in CAW. Changed nothing to it apart from the name, png pic and description.
    5) Installed it again - it installed perfectly this time too.
    6) Uninstalled again, cleaned up files etc.
    7) Reopened it in CAW. Changed the name, png pic and description again. But this time I also added the following:
    - One lot (residential)
    - One pavement
    - One random tree
    - One rock
    - One random spawner
    - One waterfall effect
    - One decoration (a barn)
    8) This one didn't install at all.

I have no idea what to make of that except to say that all my worlds contain waterfalls...??? Could the effects be the problem? I have no frigging clue.
    Over to you boffins :P
  • NavazzahNavazzah Posts: 156 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Digstar wrote:
    I then selected "save as", changed the file name, and my world saved without any errors whatsoever. I was wondering if the read only lot bug is more of an issue with worlds created on older CAW versions on the initial save?

Saving with a new name was the second thing I tried when this whole mess with CAW started and even though it saved fine with the new name, every save after that came with the read-only lots warnings. So it's not really any kind of help if you have to save with a new name every single time and the EIG still crashes on you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top