Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Save Issues with Supernatural and Seasons CAW: Discussion and research thread.

tea_and_bluestea_and_blues Posts: 889 Member
edited February 27 in Nominated Threads
A lot of people have noticed some serious issues with the recent versions of CAW, but all the information has been turning up on separate threads. Let's bring it all together in one place and look for common issues and possible causes.

The most widespread and recent issue seems to be Edit In Game (EIG) mode deleting lots upon saving. Common threads are problems with saving, with EIG, and with lots.

Notably, during all this mess, CAW's version has gone back a number.

July's CAW was 1.18.3. Since then the numbers have gone 1.18.3 -> 1.19.3 -> 1.18.4 -> then a silent update to 1.18.5

blue2-rule-04l-whitevxcj.gif

Reference Threads

CAW update is deleting all my lots
Read only lots + insufficient memory
1.42 and CAW. Does it work?
What is that? Is that a light?
Save failed...
CAW says save unsuccessful in Edit in Game Mode...
Another issue with the new update
worked FOREVER on something, saved it, then go back to CAW and it's not there?
Save Successful - BUT WITH WARNINGS

Symptoms
    Specific world files (that worked on previous CAW versions) no longer open.
    Specific world files (that worked on previous CAW versions) open but crash EIG mode.
    World saves successfully in CAW but with error messages claiming some lots are set as read-only. Tells users to make these lots writable.
    World saves successfully in EIG but deletes lots. Lots may or may not appear in CAW despite being deleted, perhaps due to caching, but are gone in EIG. Seems to affect all world files.
    Exported worlds do not install. The launcher says they have installed, but they do not appear in the InstalledWorlds folder.

Workarounds

Currently it is possible for many of us to keep working on a world, it is just tricky. Many creators are finding that minimising Edit In Game's second loading screen, then letting the game load minimised, allows them to access Edit In Game without crashing.

Exporting your world will produce a simpack with all your files intact inside it, but the simpack will not be readable. The only way to install a world right now is to use the method anetherron provides here.
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• tea_and_bluestea_and_blues Posts: 889 Member
    edited November 2012
    If you are affected, post some details about your system and your world file, just in case. If necessary we'll start collecting up dxdiag, but right now I'm curious if any of these symptoms correlates to something like the size of world files at all. I'm curious why certain files are affected but not others.

Kiwi_tea

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.40 GHz
    RAM: 8GB
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4890, 1024 MB
    Your CAW is LAA: Yes

Affected world files: 1 + all its back ups (16 files in all).
    World file size: c.73 MB
    CC: Matrix54's floor tiles, not yet publicly distributed. Uninstalled during testing, with caches cleared.
    Symptoms: 5 lots labelled read-only when the world is saved. Crashes on loading EIG. Happens on both SN and Seasons versions of CAW.

Navazzah

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 3.00GHz
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

Affected world files: 1 + backups
    World file size: 70.2 MB
    CC: Yes, some, but also tried without them.

ellacharm3d

Processor: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.06 GHz
    RAM: 6GB
    Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7850, 2048 MB
    CAW version: 1.16.2
    Game version: 1.34

Psiychan

My computer is about: 4 to 5 years old
    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (was updated to this OS last year)
    Processor: Amd Atlon Le-1620 Processor 2.40 Ghz
    RAM: 2 GB
    Video Card: Nvida Geforce 8200
    Your CAW is LAA: Not sure
    CAW version: 1.18.4.019037
    Game version: 1.42

Sinkala

Processor: AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.60 GHz
    RAM: 8 gb
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 440
    CAW Version: 1.18.4.019037
    Game Versions: 1.42

File size: 27mb
    CC-Patterns only
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • carla70carla70 Posts: 575 Member
    edited October 2012
    I just tried to download CAW on my new Win 8 install. Win 8 flagged the file as possible harmful to my computer. I downloaded the Creat pattern and it shows its fine.
  • SimsDreamSimsDream Posts: 11 New Member
    edited October 2012
    My mainly problem with the tool is the saving, once the lots made, I go back to the tool but any lots appear. If you placed trees in the game you will see in the tool after like the effects.
  • NavazzahNavazzah Posts: 156 New Member
    edited October 2012
    Problem: 17 read-only lots + EIG crashing. (I'm Varpunen from MTS2)

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 3.00GHz
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

Affected world files: 1 + backups
    World file size: 70.2 MB
    CC: Yes, some, but also tried without them.
  • happyscrubhappyscrub Posts: 101
    edited October 2012
    System specs - will post later. got to edit out IP address

I've repeatedly failed something I've done 100 times before. I've been trying to place 2 community lots and 4 residential lots using both pre-built game lots and stuff I copied from starlight shores.

1. Open up Caw
    2. Place what ever roads I need
    3. EIG
    4. Draw empty lots
    5. Place pre-built lots on empty lots
    6. Save and exit EIG
    7. Find out that all my lots are gone. Every single one, even the ones I built before.
  • Simfan281Simfan281 Posts: 80 Member
    edited October 2012
    :x Very Annoying it happen as well to Regular user Myself, I reload the backup copy thought I forgotten to save, to I got here Saw this thread it was Edit-In-Game issue of Yes, Save issue I made really nice world for myself for new Seasons Coming Soon, I hope this can be solve with CreateAWorld Patch. I had try to reinstall CAW, uninstall CAW all lots are not saving as hardcopy Yep it is Major Save Bug with the Season Patch Update. I guess Update was to Early? I Pre-Order HardCopy of NoneDigital-Seasons DVD I will try CAW next update in Future I hope they read this.
    Support: Welcome to EA! My name is Support, how can I help you today?
    you: Yea as Community where having issue Create-A-World Tool 3rd Party Tool for Sims 3... We made a bug thread can you make a note.
    you: With the new Seasons Update.
    you: I have the thread.
    Support: Sure, let me take a look at it.
    you: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/604830.page#9698926
    you: Some reason everyone having WideSpread issue.
    Support: I do apologize for all of this, just one moment while I read over this.
    you: Ok Sims 3 Team should make a note for next Update.
    you: You can do that for them. :-)
    Support: I'll definitely file this in to report a bug. It's very likely that since this thread has been created, the studio is being made aware of it, but I'm sending it up just in case.
    you: Ok thanks Support and Community as well!
    Support: Absolutely! Thank you so much for contacting us, I hope you have a great day.
    E.G. I remove Supporter Name for Privacy Issues..
  • charliecat1charliecat1 Posts: 29
    edited October 2012
    accidently started a new thread about a problem i was having before i saw this but i dont know how to delete the thread i made :(

but i've defo been having problems with what everyone seems to be getting also with lots disapearing after u saved it in edit game
    and my world failing to put into my game :(

lets hope they fix it :( i cant wait to play the world i just made for seasons :(
  • AngelJaz1AngelJaz1 Posts: 53 New Member
    edited October 2012
    grrr. jup same problem for me :(:(:(

putting in all my houses and community lots..partly builded them in EIG.. (gladly i always saved those with EXPORT)...save...EIG end...= Map = Blank :(

sadly hours working on it for nothing...

but glad..it seems it wasnt my fault^^.

ah..i wish i wouldnt have patched my game today (and reinstalled CAW.

hopefully they can fix this soon
    edited October 2012
    AngelJaz1 wrote:
    grrr. jup same problem for me :(:(:(

putting in all my houses and community lots..partly builded them in EIG.. (gladly i always saved those with EXPORT)...save...EIG end...= Map = Blank :(

sadly hours working on it for nothing...

but glad..it seems it wasnt my fault^^.

ah..i wish i wouldnt have patched my game today (and reinstalled CAW.

hopefully they can fix this soon
    I already File Bug Report hopes everyone gets a Update few days.
    Support: Welcome to EA! My name is Support, how can I help you today?
    you: Yea as Community where having issue Create-A-World Tool 3rd Party Tool for Sims 3... We made a bug thread can you make a note.
    you: With the new Seasons Update.
    you: I have the thread.
    Support: Sure, let me take a look at it.
    you: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/604830.page#9698926

you: Some reason everyone having WideSpread issue.
    Support: I do apologize for all of this, just one moment while I read over this.
    you: Ok Sims 3 Team should make a note for next Update.
    you: You can do that for them.
    Support: I'll definitely file this in to report a bug. It's very likely that since this thread has been created, the studio is being made aware of it, but I'm sending it up just in case.
    you: Ok thanks Support and Community as well!
    Support: Absolutely! Thank you so much for contacting us, I hope you have a great day.
  • snowdustmelodysnowdustmelody Posts: 385 Member
    edited October 2012
    Mine doesn't save in EIG and when I try to go back to do it again EIG stops working and crashes...
    tumblr_mfgza8NCk51qfwt9io1_500.gif

• littlememelittlememe Posts: 19 New Member
    edited October 2012
    hello had both, lots deleted after running EIG. and exported world not installing even though launcher says it has. world previously installed, before patch. updated it for SN now wont install.
    edited October 2012
    Yea it is Widespread Issue with (EIG)Game Bug, I have file this Thread to Support about Mid Day today let's hope for a fix. I help you guys they treat this Thread a Game Bug we will wait.:)
  • simtweeksimtweek Posts: 267 Member
    edited November 2012
    I've been having these problems:

Specific world files (that worked on previous CAW versions) open but crash EIG mode.

World saves successfully in CAW but with error messages claiming some lots are set as read-only. Tells users to make these lots writable.

Exported worlds do not install. The launcher says they have installed, but they do not appear in the InstalledWorlds folder.
  • ellacharm3dellacharm3d Posts: 84 Member
    edited November 2012
    Processor: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.06 GHz
    RAM: 6GB
    Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7850, 2048 MB
    CAW version: 1.16.2
    Game version: 1.34

I learned that CAW 1.18.4 (patch 1.42) is LAA-aware out-of-the-box, but the earlier ones are all manually modified to be LAA.

What problems I've encountered:
      Work saved is not retained when next load a CAW wip .world file (from CAW ver 1.18.3 onwards), after program is restarted (see last issue)
      Save always end up with failures, Save As also the same, but the lines show the successful message for the individual layers, which is supported by the folder showing the layers having the correct timestamp of the last Save action.
      Same missing lots when Saving in CAW 1.18.4 as others
      EIG crashing, from CAW ver 1.18.3 onwards
      After Save As, (yes with errors reported), and closing the world file, reopening any other .world file would result in a crash with the protected memory error message. Always need to Exit and relaunch CAW. This never happens when I last used CAW extensively back in April

What I've tried, and nothing seems to work, above issues still happened:
    With the reports coming in with the 1.42 patch, I've done several uninstalls to rollback to older versions. Here's the result.
      uninstalled and rollback both the game and CAW to
    1. 1.39/1.19.3
    2. 1.36/1.18.3
    3. 1.34/1.16.2
      Started over from scratch to rule out borked saves as root cause
      Used "SuperCaw"
      Used the Unlocker tool to use direct Save with a "successful" report, but changes is still not guaranteed as retained on next load, and most of the time is not retained anyways

I'm tired of dealing with this since Mon and need a break. My next troubleshooting step is to continue on to rollback to game version 1.33 and CAW 1.16.2; maybe at the weekend. Just hoping my results above is able to let the devs know where to start looking...

• tlc10175tlc10175 Posts: 2,550 Member
    edited November 2012
    Man I'm glad I didn't update. x.X

I wonder if they are checking the CAW forum. I really want the patch because of all the cool stuff, but I sure as heck don't wanna lose my work or the worlds I'm working on!

edited November 2012
    It's around 4:30 am in Cali right now. Around 9 or 10 am EST, maybe try tweeting Graham.
    The more tweets he gets to this thread, the more likely he is to check it out, or have the devs update or check into it. I am gonna do it later, also gonna ask if we can get something from the Gurus saying they are working on it, are aware or something. x.X

edit to add twitter link >_>

https://twitter.com/SimGuruGraham
  • HKateSHKateS Posts: 89 Member
    edited November 2012
    Gah, literally just started a thread about this because I didn't read around first. Sorry guys.

But yeah, I'm having the same problem. I've got 2 read only lots. I only have installed CC patterns I made myself...
  • iiidaaiiidaa Posts: 58 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Hi guys! Its the same for me but I cant even open my world in EIG :'( If I delete some of the lots it opens but when i save the rest of them just disappear like yours.

I hope they fix this soon because I just started a new world and would very much like to continue making it.
  • NavazzahNavazzah Posts: 156 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I seriously hope that they make fixing this problem a priority. Like I said before, I have 17 read-only lots and that's a huge amount of work, especially in a themed world where the buildings have to be as close to the original as possible. There's no way I'm going to start deleting them and doing them all again from scratch. No way. :(
    edited November 2012
    Asked Graham to refer Devs to this thread. If you are having issues please continue to post them here in case the Devs come check it out.
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited November 2012
    Hope they fix this.
    I think I lost my world.
    I now only have the file folder and the world file. I cannot find the setting file.
    I sure hope they fix this soon, and I hope that I do not have to start over with my world.
    Lets keep this up top so that EA will see it. we hope.
  • PyischanPyischan Posts: 411
    edited November 2012
    I have issue with CAW tool with Save Successful - BUT WITH WARNINGS, Lots disappearing after saving in EIG mode only the first twenty five to twenty seven community lots and exported worlds when installed is NOT show up in installed world folder?

My computer is about: 4 to 5 years old
    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (was updated to this OS last year)
    Processor: Amd Atlon Le-1620 Processor 2.40 Ghz
    RAM: 2 GB
    Video Card: Nvida Geforce 8200
    Your CAW is LAA: Not sure
    CAW version: 1.18.4.019037
    Game version: 1.42
  • SinkalaSinkala Posts: 475 Member
    edited November 2012
    I have been having this issue since the last patch, prior to it everything was working well.

My lots disappear after trying to save in edit in game. I get a save failed error message with certain lots showing as unsuccessful. They also disappear from all previous versions of the world.

Here is my specs:

Processor: AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.60 GHz
    RAM: 8 gb
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 440
    CAW Version: 1.18.4.019037
    Game Versions: 1.42

File size: 27mb
    CC-Patterns only

• SheenaFinSheenaFin Posts: 134 New Member
    edited November 2012
    When I use EIG and go back to CAW, there are no lots anymore. CAW don't give me any warnings when saved.
    edited November 2012
    It's a good idea to back up all your work. I tend to have made a habit of it because I work from two computers so I move it back and forth with my flash drive. Even if you don't have a flash drive just go to Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 Create A World Tool Folder and copy the UserToolData folder then paste it somewhere on your desktop or somewhere on your computer.

This folder is all you need to back up. It contains everything you have done, all your work, CAW textures etc and all your worlds.

*Especially* back up before a new patch! >_>

I'm sorry for you guys and I know how it is to lose a world. I hope they can reverse this and recover your data!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top