Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 on OS X vs. Bootcamp + Windows: definitely Windows

CRS77CRS77 Posts: 37 New Member
In terms of graphics, animation, and smoothness of gameplay, there is no comparison. Definitely Bootcamp + Windows.

The Mac version simply pales in comparison. I don't know why EA even bothered with one. To frustrate users? Because that's all the Mac version really means: frustration.

I've got an early 2008 Macbook Pro, 256mb Nvidia, 3gb RAM. On Windows (XP SP2) I've got the settings maxed out (highest res), and the game runs beautifully and looks as it should. It's fast. And I can probably get a bit more quality out of it by tweaking the Nvidia control panel and keep the speed and smoothness up. On OS X, I get choppy, slow performance (along with horrible graphics) at medium settings. It's apparent that the Mac version is not only unfinished and unpolished, but it's also using emulation, which further decreases performance, or at least requires a more powerful setup to get what one can much more easily get using Windows.

So in short, The Sims 3 delivers, on Windows. TS3 for Mac, however, is just another subpar port of a Windows game. And it shows.

Comments

• sunshinejenn03sunshinejenn03 Posts: 157 Member
    edited June 2009
    Hmmm, interesting. I actually deleted my Windows partition the day after Sims 3 came out, since the only reason it existed was to run TS2 (I had spent so much over the years on all the EPs and Stuff Packs).

Maybe when I'm not feeling so lazy (and consumed with this game), I'll repartition it and check it out via Windows.
    ccdedef9-211b-4e2c-bb1f-e55a0b05f020.jpg
  • stephensim04stephensim04 Posts: 9 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Only thing that is worrying me about playing it in Windows is the problems with the fans. I've heard that when running windows the fans don't go above the idle speed which causes overheating and eventually damage to the system.
    edited June 2009
    I had the fan problem when I did that. My solution was a Belkin cooling pad. It's about $20 (at costco anyway) and it helped a LOT.
  • SireniaSirenia Posts: 53 Member
    edited June 2009
    I'm thinking of installing it on Winblows because of the crashing problem on Mac....but I have an iMac not an Macbook Pro.

Were you having the crashing problems on Mac and did that stop when you put in on Windows?
  • athinasimsathinasims Posts: 157 Member
    edited June 2009
    I run the game great on Leopard.
    MICHAEL JACKSON XSCAPE
    edited June 2009
    athinasims wrote:
    I run the game great on Leopard.

What computer do you have? My game just keeps crashing. I don't understand how people have no problems and why I do when my specs are better than what is needed.
  • athinasimsathinasims Posts: 157 Member
    edited June 2009
    I have a 24" iMac with 3.06 processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive and 8800GS Nvidia
    MICHAEL JACKSON XSCAPE
    edited June 2009
    Mine is last years version (the white one) with less than what you have but still over the required specs.
  • MikeMike Posts: 40 New Member
    edited June 2009
    CRS77 wrote:
    I've got an early 2008 Macbook Pro, 256mb Nvidia, 3gb RAM. On Windows (XP SP2) I've got the settings maxed out (highest res), and the game runs beautifully and looks as it should. It's fast. And I can probably get a bit more quality out of it by tweaking the Nvidia control panel and keep the speed and smoothness up. On OS X, I get choppy, slow performance (along with horrible graphics) at medium settings.

I've disagreed with you a lot over the last couple of days, but this is interesting.

Obviously I knew the emulation would slow things down a little bit, but I'm surprised it makes so much difference.

Do you think the speed difference is really enough to warrant me digging out my copy of Vista again? :)
  • SeshanSeshan Posts: 26 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I am greatly P*🐸🐸🐸🐸 now, I installed it in bootcamp. It plays about 10x better then on a Mac, the speed is actually fast!, I can spin the camera and move around the map at the same time with no lag and it's smooth as heck. Zooming in to houses the houses load instantly. Good job EA the game runs great in windows. Then why the heck are you selling it for OS X when it runs like 🐸🐸🐸🐸.
  • SeshanSeshan Posts: 26 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Seshan wrote:
    I am greatly P*🐸🐸🐸🐸 now, I installed it in bootcamp. It plays about 10x better then on a Mac, the speed is actually fast!, I can spin the camera and move around the map at the same time with no lag and it's smooth as heck. Zooming in to houses the houses load instantly. Good job EA the game runs great in windows. Then why the heck are you selling it for OS X when it runs like 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

Mike: The speed problem makes me not even want to play it anymore on OS X. I now realize how much time I am wasting waiting for this game to play in practically real time. I will probably just give it to my mom, if it dosn't work, it's going back to the store and when I hear they fixed it. I will pirate it. F*ck you EA.

*Edit* Quoted instead of editing, Oop's.
  • crispeecrispee Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2009
    yeah i have a mac and pc -- definitely better on the pc mainly due to the antialiasing. unfortunate as i bought this to play on my mac as I seldom use the PC.
  • CRS77CRS77 Posts: 37 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Hey, I hate to rain on the Mac parade. I really do. I'm a staunch OS X user. I'm not here to dump on fellow Mac users or to cause them grief.

But when it comes to games, let's face it: we get ports. And a lot of them are bad. Mac versions of games are rarely native, rarely designed from the ground up. Sure, we do have Mac-exclusive games, or games that were made for Mac first. But those have always been few and far between. It was actually better in the 90s.

Hop on over to Ambrosia Software and see how they're keeping Mac gaming alive, and doing OK, too. But outfits like that are rare. It's all about the iPhone now.

So, having said that, back to the Sims 3 on Mac and Windows (via Bootcamp.)

The fan issue:

The fans on my Macbook Pro don't run nearly as loud or as fast under Windows. But they do run noticeably faster and louder than idle when playing. There is a definite difference. Someone here mentioned that that might be a concern because they're not running fast enough. There is a firmware update for OS X (for Macbook Pros) that fixes the Nvidia/fan issue. It should show up on autoupdate and then you can run it from the Utilities folder. But for Windows, I'm not sure. The fan speed has never been an issue for me. Sure, it runs hot, but I've played EVE Online (enhanced gfx) on full settings (as much as possible, really) without any problems, for extended periods of time. My assumption with TS3 under Windows (via Bootcamp) is that the machine simply doesn't have to work as hard. Maybe.

Do I recommend even satisfied users of the Mac version try it under Windows?

YES.

First of all, you'll get all the visual goodies if your machine is half decent. At least the option will be there, plus you video card's control panel options, which allow for even finer tweaking. It'll look better and very likely play a lot smoother. Second, and related to the first part, there's no emulation running.

The obvious downside is you'll have to dig up your copy of XP SP2 or Vista and then allocate some space to it and then go through the install. Then boot into Windows each time. I think it's worth it, personally. I'm enjoying the game a lot more. And I'm less pi**ed about EA's negligence. :wink:

From a business perspective, EA just included a Mac version as an afterthought, not even native. It grabbed unsuspecting users from a non-Windows market. More money on Release Day. I'm pretty sure more thought was put into the iPhone version! That's where all the action and $$ is. Sad, but that's the way it is.

Even if EA fixes the graphical issues tomorrow, it'll still never run as well as the Windows version, because the Windows version is native to being with. The OS X version is not. EA needs to rebuild it from the ground up. Not likely. Too bad, because OS X does have some unique and impressive graphics technologies.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited June 2009
    CRS77 wrote:
    Even if EA fixes the graphical issues tomorrow, it'll still never run as well as the Windows version, because the Windows version is native to being with. The OS X version is not. EA needs to rebuild it from the ground up. Not likely.

To be fair to EA, even if they had released a separate version of the game for Mac like they did with The Sims 2, it still wouldn't have been native.

It's great that they've released the two versions together, even if the Mac one can't compare to the native Windows one.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this to our attention! I'm typing this from Windows (in Internet Explorer, shudder) so once I've installed the 76+ updates I can play the game how it should be! :mrgreen:

Quick question: If I copy my saved games from Mac to Windows, will they still work? The Brown family will not approve of being left in The Land of No Shadows. :lol:
  • CRS77CRS77 Posts: 37 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Mike wrote:

Quick question: If I copy my saved games from Mac to Windows, will they still work? The Brown family will not approve of being left in The Land of No Shadows. :lol:

Good question.

I'm afraid I don't know. I imagine it should be ok. I've never tried it, though. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience in this area can chime in on the issue.
  • ahnnajadeahnnajade Posts: 231 Member
    edited June 2009
    Siiiiighhhh..

I think I might give up on the OSx, too. The only plus side to installing vista being the sims + my other PC games, but ughhhh..

I guess I'll continue my moaning while I try and find my vista cd. I feel ill. :P
    edited June 2009
    CRS77 wrote:
    I'm afraid I don't know. I imagine it should be ok. I've never tried it, though. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience in this area can chime in on the issue.

I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. Once Windows has installed its 80 updates.

0 KB total, 0% complete. :?

Ah, Windows. I've missed your nonsense.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2009
    Mike wrote:
    CRS77 wrote:

I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. Once Windows has installed its 80 updates.

0 KB total, 0% complete. :?

Ah, Windows. I've missed your nonsense.

Know what you mean about Windows. I hate to reinstall Windows due to all those updates.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • MombirdsongMombirdsong Posts: 39 New Member
    edited June 2009
    You can used save games from Mac on your PC side, or the other way around.

I played a day on my mac, then put my family on a USB drive and dropped it on to the PC side, works fine.

I can't play the mac side after seeing the joy of anti aliasing and shadows.

Having to log on to a PC pains me, but it's worth it IMO.
    edited June 2009
    You can used save games from Mac on your PC side, or the other way around.

Thanks for confirming that. :mrgreen:
    Having to log on to a PC pains me, but it's worth it IMO.

Yeah, I guess it's a bit of a lose-lose situation. If you're running it on the PC side that means having to use Windows, if you're running it on the Mac side that means you have lag and no shadows. :-)
    edited June 2009
    Yay for glamorous install blue screens :roll:
    edited June 2009
    Am I the only Mac user with no lag or shadow issues???
  • MombirdsongMombirdsong Posts: 39 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Am I the only Mac user with no lag or shadow issues???

I'm not sure exactly how large the issue is. I mean, i have no shadows at all, and EA made a sticky about the problem, but does it apply to every mac?

I think some people just don't know what to look for. Do you have nice crisp shadows outside? Not just dark spots under things but clear defined shadows?
    edited June 2009
    I thought the dark spots were 'shadows' too at first. Then I started noticing just how jagged things were, looked at other screenshots, saw real shadows and realized what was going on :P

I didn't have so much of an issue with lag or what have you, though. I'm curious to see how it runs now on xp side. (turns out I had xp and not vista :P) Is installing..again.. now.
  • ariacadenzaariacadenza Posts: 216 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Yes, Mike- You can move your saved games between mac and pc without any problems.