Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will I have to start a new game for Seasons?

It might be a dumb question but I really need to know the answer. You see, I've just edited Starlight Shores to my liking and it now contains lots and items for every expansion pack I own. Believe it or not,I think it's wonderful for Seasons, if you just edit it properly. Anyways, I know the world won't save for every new game I create and I would seriously hate to have to re edit the world when Seasons comes out. It took forever. That being said, when an expansion pack comes out, do you have to start new game for the expansion to kick in?

Alright, maybe that didn't make sense. I'm not sure how to word this, but I'll try again.

When Seasons comes out, can I continue playing my current game and still get the weather and other EP content? Or will I have to restart?

Comments

• PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited October 2012
    I've never had to abandon a saved game for a new EP until Supernatural. It wasn't the game though, it was the patch. My game was running perfectly before the patch....after it I had all the glitches everyone was posting about.

I finally did a factory reset on my game to get it to run right again.

So I suppose my best guess would be....we'll just have to wait and see.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • xJustBreathexJustBreathe Posts: 220 New Member
    edited October 2012
    Oi, sorry to hear. Fingers crossed this doesn't happen with seasons though, I can't spend nearly four hours editing Starlight again.
    edited October 2012
    Bump, in case anyone else has something to say. :P
  • v203v203 Posts: 160 New Member
    edited October 2012
    Theres a way to copy the town then don't play in it until seasons come out.
  • Richard0092Richard0092 Posts: 238 New Member
    edited October 2012
    Every town will have a seasons-lot, normally a big park or square. In Starlight Shores this will be Verde Park. When you start a new save, the lot will automatically be a seasons-lot. When you have already a save, in your case it is, then you have to add the seasonal things yourself. Or copy the Verde Park from the original world.
  • LordDarthSimsLordDarthSims Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited October 2012
    I've never had to abandon a saved game for a new EP until Supernatural. It wasn't the game though, it was the patch. My game was running perfectly before the patch....after it I had all the glitches everyone was posting about.

My game was working Perfectly During The Sims 3 Pets, but as soon as I Installed The Sims 3 Showtime it ticked me off that the game became Unpaused every time I load a Save, even when I paused then Saved, so If what y'all are saying is true a factory reset, had better Fix this Irritating issue,
    and FYI Forgive me for being pushy I enjoy my games But Dislike That My Game Is Unpaused, When I Pause The Game Then Save!
  • enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited October 2012
    I don't think you will need to start a new game.

However, since your current sims matter to you, you must make a back-up of them before installing Seasons! You would not want to lose them if anything goes wrong. I suggest making a back-up of your save game, and also saving a copy of your sims in their house to your lot library before you install Seasons.

In addition, you may want to make a test family to try out at first, to find out any bugs that you may run into with your favourite family before the game is patched. I am currently playing my test family for Supernatural because I did not want to risk my favourite family when the game was released. The game is still not safe enough for me to play my favourite family, but I have grown very attached to my supernatural test sims! I intend to make back-ups of them and play them when Seasons comes out 8)
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited October 2012

My game was working Perfectly During The Sims 3 Pets, but as soon as I Installed The Sims 3 Showtime it ticked me off that the game became Unpaused every time I load a Save, even when I paused then Saved, so If what y'all are saying is true a factory reset, had better Fix this Irritating issue,
    and FYI Forgive me for being pushy I enjoy my games But Dislike That My Game Is Unpaused, When I Pause The Game Then Save!

I don't think a factory reset will fix that issue. You need to just have your finger ready on the P button when you load your game. I think this is a feature of the game now, and not something that can be fixed.
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • PixieStixPixieStix Posts: 1,956 Member
    edited October 2012
    You should be fine, sometimes the new patch can cause issues for saved games which would mean you'd have to start a new one to 'reset' things and avoid the bugs :( fingers crossed this isn't an issue.

You definitely wont need to start a new one for weather to work in your old games or for the EP content to show up.
    LadySmitanbanner_zps7eszqcmq.jpg
    YouTube:Lady Smitan Twitter:@LadySmitan Gallery:LadySmitan
  • BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,422 Member
    edited October 2012
    Oi, sorry to hear. Fingers crossed this doesn't happen with seasons though, I can't spend nearly four hours editing Starlight again.

I don't think so and you could save the saves file while you install so it won't damage your game.
    edited October 2012
    v203 wrote:

What, really? How? :o
    edited October 2012
    As for everyone else, I don't care for the family I'm playing. I do, however, have my fave gam backed up in the bin so it should be safe there, right? This would be my first time not starting a new game.
  • LordDarthSimsLordDarthSims Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited October 2012
    enkeli63 wrote:

I don't think a factory reset will fix that issue. You need to just have your finger ready on the P button when you load your game. I think this is a feature of the game now, and not something that can be fixed.
    sigh, oh well it's all in the past now and... There is nothing that load a game paused, huh?! ..., Oh well all I can do is wait to press the "~", "P," "or 0."
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited October 2012
    v203 wrote:

Just copy it to desktop using windows explorer, then you can always move it back in if the game goes bananas!
    edited October 2012
    Thank you, I'll try that c:
  • pixiedust4267pixiedust4267 Posts: 1,194 Member
    edited October 2012
    I always start fresh when there is a new expansion that comes out.
    SQfkfxm6rt.gif
    edited October 2012
    I do too and I may do so again seeing as I just exited the darn game without saving. 4+ hours of editing Starlight wasted. D:<
    edited October 2012
    v203 wrote:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sedfXD9ySFo/TsLg-hQHnwI/AAAAAAAAA5o/JtL5R2pEAZU/s1600/copytown.jpg

Click the paper over the other paper icon.
    edited October 2012
    v203 wrote:
    v203 wrote:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sedfXD9ySFo/TsLg-hQHnwI/AAAAAAAAA5o/JtL5R2pEAZU/s1600/copytown.jpg

Click the paper over the other paper icon.

Thanks. :mrgreen:
    edited October 2012
    Your Welcome :lol:
  • catmom1987catmom1987 Posts: 440 Member
    edited October 2012
    Whenever i redecorate a town, i always keep a master copy of the save.

After you finish redecorating the town just save it as the original copy, for example if you re-model Sunset Valley, name the save "Sunset Valley Original Re-model". Then whenever you want to start a new game using this neighborhood just make a copy of it by clicking the copy button on the main menu and name that copy whatever you want your new save to be called. You will then have 2 copies of that neighborhood, 1 will be your original re-model and the other will be the save you want to play in.

You can create as many saved copies as you want as long as each save has a different name for the neighborhood.