We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
February 23rd - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons and Mods

I was thinking about downloading a few of Twallan's mods, but I'm not sure if I should wait until Seasons come out. I know that he usually updates them aalong with each patch. I really want to do what a lot of others are doing which is to make ST a vacation town with the traveler mod. So if anyone has and advice on this it would be much appreciated thank you.

Comments

• crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,766 Member
    edited August 2012
    November is far far away. You can download them, he's fast updating.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• kari6041kari6041 Posts: 756 New Member
    edited August 2012
    crinrict wrote:
    November is far far away. You can download them, he's fast updating.

So then when he does update them, do we have to uninstall the Mod then reinstall the pdated one? Or do just intstall the updated one over the original one?
  • TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited August 2012
    He's usually really, really quick about updating his mods so I'd download them now. Yes, you have to redo it whenever a patch comes out or he makes changes to the mods. You can sign up for notification of changes on the website.
    edited August 2012
    Oh ok thanks for everyone's help! Yay!! Seasons!!!
  • pattyruiz4pattyruiz4 Posts: 34 Member
    edited August 2012
    Personally I do not think that it can survive without the twallan'smods while more EPs out is that twallan will bring reality to the games. He is very creative is my hero :-)
    edited August 2012
    pattyruiz4 wrote:
    Personally I do not think that it can survive without the twallan'smods while more EPs out is that twallan will bring reality to the games. He is very creative is my hero :-)

:lol: Twallan you're my hero (googly eyes) I've heard it's like playing an all new game. I'm excited to try it out. Should I wait till after ST is out, or can I download it now?
  • mangoesandlimesmangoesandlimes Posts: 2,623 Member
    edited August 2012
    kari6041 wrote:
    pattyruiz4 wrote:

:lol: Twallan you're my hero (googly eyes) I've heard it's like playing an all new game. I'm excited to try it out. Should I wait till after ST is out, or can I download it now?

You can download it now. ST shouldn't have a patch released with it, like EPs and SPs do, so there's no need to wait for an updated version.
  • jeanamariex3jeanamariex3 Posts: 1,274
    edited August 2012
    Twallan's mods are the best! I would personally suggest Error Trap and Overwatch. They really freed up a lot of space and made my game run smoother.

Master Controller is great too! SP I would be careful of. Just like real Story Progression, it will cause too much bloat. SP is better turned off in general.
    edited August 2012
    Oh ok. Thanks for the advice and suggestions everyone!
  • indyChickindyChick Posts: 1,159 Member
    edited August 2012
    Don't wait! Twallen updates very quickly, and the beautiful part is that when a mod is updated it has the same file name so all you have to do is overwrite the old one. Read each mod's documentation and don't be afraid!

:)-peace

P.S. This way you'll have time to go in and fiddle with his mods and get a feel for how they work before Seasons comes out.

EDIT: [thought of a P.S.]
  • KatSoloKatSolo Posts: 456 New Member
    edited August 2012
    P.S. This way you'll have time to go in and fiddle with his mods and get a feel for how they work before Seasons comes out.

Yes, this is good advice - esp if you download master controller or story progression, as it can take a while to figure all the interactions out! (Both are well worth it imo, although my current computers specs aren't up to running either smoothly - might be the same for you, and its definitely best to figure that out before seasons :)).
  • TaylacfcTaylacfc Posts: 2,098 New Member
    edited August 2012
    so what does his MODS do anyway im intrested should i get them?
  • Twilightsim12Twilightsim12 Posts: 37
    edited August 2012
    I had this same dilemma as I just reinstalled TS3. but personally I think I might as well wait because 2 EPS are coming soon.
  • mangoesandlimesmangoesandlimes Posts: 2,623 Member
    edited August 2012
    Taylacfc wrote:

There are a bunch of different ones. Overwatch and Error Trap both make your game run smoother, as they fix or prevent certain glitches that can slow or crash your game. Story progression replaces EA's story progression and it makes your game feel more alive - it pushes townies to get married, have kids, move houses, skill up, get jobs, and all that based on their actual personality, instead of the more random EA pairings. You can also use SP to set specific preferences, like making a certain family incapable of having affairs or getting a divorce. Those are my top recommendations.
  • TaylacfcTaylacfc Posts: 2,098 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Taylacfc wrote:

There are a bunch of different ones. Overwatch and Error Trap both make your game run smoother, as they fix or prevent certain glitches that can slow or crash your game. Story progression replaces EA's story progression and it makes your game feel more alive - it pushes townies to get married, have kids, move houses, skill up, get jobs, and all that based on their actual personality, instead of the more random EA pairings. You can also use SP to set specific preferences, like making a certain family incapable of having affairs or getting a divorce. Those are my top recommendations.

oooooooo this is intresting tell me more tell me more!!!!!

thinking about if you download it im thinking whether my parents would allow it only downloading broke our computer last time
  • TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited August 2012
    Twallan's mods are safe and 100% virus free. Story Progression will take up resources so if you are playing on an old computer, it might not work well.
  • LokendraLokendra Posts: 276 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Debug Enabler - Several Debug Options for developers enabled for you
    MasterController - Some Cheaty CAS , *** Traits , Inherit Stuff , Clean Intenvery's and more1
    Story Prog Better than Ea's
    Traveller - Travel to other worldS!!!!
    ErrorTrap - Finds Errors and makes ur game glitch free
    Portrait Panel - Allows more than 8 sims to be shown at once
    Relativity - Speeds Time or Slows Time
    Theres alot more! The ones i listed r my favourites :)
  • yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2012
    Taylacfc wrote:

To this I'll add:

-has a tunable "meet the family at birth" option which sets all of your inactive townie newborn baby relationships with everyone in their family. You can set this on a scale of 0% to 100%. I typically set this to 100%, especially because relationships decay over time. So by the time that baby becomes a child, they'll have a decent relationship with their family members. This is one of the best features in SP IMO. Because it allows you to control how much SP will commit infanticide in your town. :x

This really drove me crazy with EA's vanilla version. EA's SP would kill off sims with the least amount of relationships to other sims in the town. :? That typically meant killing off babies/toddlers who didn't know other townies--let alone sims in their own family. :? Unless your active sim visited these newborn households, there was a 100% chance EA's SP would kill it off :roll:

- being able to set/tune the town's death rate and chance sims will die from a scenario. I usually set this to very low percentage or zero.

- pushing sims to do activities according to their traits. Athletic sims typically hang out at the gym, outdoors/angler/loner sims hang out more at places like fishing holes or the more deserted lots, artistic sims are typically found at the art gallery or painting at easels around town, party animal sims hang out at the LN clubs more etc.

- you can set the chance of sims having injuries (like from sparring with sim fu, from SP personality scenarios, etc) and the chance this will send them to the hospital after such an injury. You can even decide the likelyhood if sims will die from their injuries after going to the hospital

- has SP personality scenarios like town bully, town nerd, town harpy, town gigoloo etc. which recruits inactive townies for these factions.

- has tunable random scenarios where these SP personalities can create alliances & cause mischief in the town like committing arson, fighting/beating up other sims they don't like, how often family outings occur, how often households get visited by random friends, strangers etc.

- has tunable random scenarios which involve intervention of inactive sims in the AMB careers. Stuff like inactives in ghosthunter career exercising poltergiests in rabbitholes. I had a random fire break out in my sim's neighbor's house. One of my inactive townie sims (not EA's scripted NPCs) showed up in the firetruck and actually put out the blaze! :-) Shortly after that, another PI townie sim showed up to investigate. This is one of the coolest features in SP IMO. It really keeps the town alive.

-you can control the townie families emmigration rate. This put a stop to EA's SP deporting entire families for no reason :roll:

-you can control the immigration rate of inactive single townies & family households into the town. You can even guarantee what these townies can look like. I find most of EA's immigrant townies really ugly :lol: So I created a bin of attractive to average looking sims and made SP pick sims from that gene pool 100% of the time. No more obeese LN bartenders or sims with really wierd looking genetics :lol:
    edited August 2012
    Lokendra wrote:
    Debug Enabler - Several Debug Options for developers enabled for you
    MasterController - Some Cheaty CAS , *** Traits , Inherit Stuff , Clean Intenvery's and more1
    Story Prog Better than Ea's
    Traveller - Travel to other worldS!!!!
    ErrorTrap - Finds Errors and makes ur game glitch free
    Portrait Panel - Allows more than 8 sims to be shown at once
    Relativity - Speeds Time or Slows Time
    Theres alot more! The ones i listed r my favourites :)
    I love Relativity. I set mine at 17, which I think is 43%...my sims have plenty of time to take care of business AND relax.
    edited August 2012
    Im having the hardest time getting his Mods in my game. I have windows 7 and can't figure it out how to get it into my game. I save the file into a seperate downlods folder, then I hit extract all, then the files that were ectracted i cut and paste them into my packages folder which is in my mods folder which is in my the sims 3 folder. What am I doing wrong. I tried the game out everytime and they dont work.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,087 Member
    edited August 2012
    I only have three mods in my game, currently. After playing Sims Medieval for a time, I eventually came back to Sims3 — permanently. However, I sorely missed the pointed ears. There's a marvelous mod over at MTS, which allows one to have pointy ears. It's a slider so you can have vertical pointed ears (much like a Vulcan or Romulan of Star Trek fame) or elf ears that slant backward, if you like. The "Pointy Ears" mod was mod number one for me.

Mod number two I also got through MTS. The "No (or fewer) Memories" mod. I rather despise the whole memory generating thing. The popups were bad enough (mercifully, the game allows you to shut this feature down, thank God!) but, you still bloat the game files with useless, non-earth-shattering memories — for the ENTIRE town! How 🐸🐸🐸🐸 is that? I would much rather just shut the whole thing down.

My third mod was from Twallen, after I kept losing my singer Sims' steady gigs when he got married and chose to honeymoon in an exotic location. Namely WA. :shock: Mind you, the superstar singer (top of his career, level 10, with five celeb stars)would quite likely in RL do just that. Seems a pity, our ST careers preempt our use of WA (one of my most favorite EPs, to date).

I put out a plea for help and NRaas, himself answered my query. Seems he had a mod that puts to right many of the traveling errors encountered with subsequent EPs — and as a bonus, your Sim can travel between towns! I eagerly downloaded this one, but haven't been able to test it on my singer Sim. Yes, it's Erik VII. I'm working on his career, currently, sans the SimPort. Erik VI made it all the way to the top before something untoward happened to irrevocably glitch that game save and I lost him, yet again!

I am intrigued by the Error Trap mod mentioned in this thread. I'm currently having window crashes, despite my having added Sims3 to my DEP exceptions list. Grrr. Thank you for this more than useful thread. I will go find and install the Error Trap mod, which I had previously thought had everything to do with the traps in tombs, etc. from WA. Silly me.

I do like the options SP gives, but sadly, I have little room for it. I'm hoping I can get Seasons to play on my computer since getting a new one is still a ways off. :-(
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    edited August 2012
    kari6041 wrote:
    Im having the hardest time getting his Mods in my game. I have windows 7 and can't figure it out how to get it into my game. I save the file into a seperate downlods folder, then I hit extract all, then the files that were ectracted i cut and paste them into my packages folder which is in my mods folder which is in my the sims 3 folder. What am I doing wrong. I tried the game out everytime and they dont work.
    Did you try to install Master Controller? If so, try clicking on one of your sims in the game and see if one of the options is Nraas.
    edited August 2012
    Haven't tried that one yet, but i've tried traveler and error trap. How do I know if I installed it right?
    edited August 2012
    kari6041 wrote:
    Haven't tried that one yet, but i've tried traveler and error trap. How do I know if I installed it right?
    If you see the files in this folder My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages, then the mod is installed. With those particular mods, there may not be something for you to actually "see". For Traveler, you need a separate saved game in the main menu, like Bridgeport or Riverview--whatever. Load your home world, then try to send one of your sims on a trip [like Shang Simla]. You should then have the option to go to the other saved game world you have in addition to China, Egypt and France. Does that make sense?

:)-peace
  • Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    edited August 2012
    Yes, use them right away. He usually updates it within one to two days after the release date, but mostly one day. There are tons of different mods to pick and use. Make sure you are to be aware that when there are new patch updated, then most of the mods are to be removed and waited for new one to be installed otherwise, you'd have a problem with it. Check the site and look around and find some you like :)