Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Out of curiosity, how do you make your sims?

At the top of the forums, is the handy little Career Traits and Benefits guide. So I'm curious. Do you make you sims by giving them the traits that benefit their career? Or do you give them "random" traits, and work on the work related ones in game?

At first I pretty much based their traits on what was most useful to them at work. But lately, I just throw in 1 or 2 traits that help, and the rest I use to round out the sim's character.

Comments

• Options
    RubytheFuzzledRubytheFuzzled Posts: 3,315 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Hmm, I don't think ahead like that. I build a sim completely by personality. Then I kill them off.
  • Options
    YusonoYusono Posts: 680 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I make them people I would want to spend time with because I figure I am going to be spending a fair bit of time with them. I do not choose traits that would benefit their lives or careers, just ones I like. Sometimes to round them out and to not make them Mary Sue sims I give them a bad trait.
  • Options
    suicidespatsuicidespat Posts: 1,864 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I load up on negatives in CAS, I like absent minded, nuerotic, clumsy, over emotional hot heads etc....I want life to be a challenge..and them to fail miserably!!...j/k although I have made some pretty messed up sims

for the ones born in game I tend to take the dominant trait that defines each parent (evil, good, brave etc...)and give them at birth..I roll randoms for the rest
  • Options
    corajanecorajane Posts: 60 New Member
    edited August 2009
    i do the same as ruby... minus the killing :D
  • Options
    ChrysameChrysame Posts: 528 New Member
    edited August 2009
    At first I always had a few bizarre traits mixed with the career traits. Childish is fun and I really enjoy neat. Make that bed! Make it!!

The I started building for certain careers but lately I've been adding in fun traits. My last few sims have had at least one random trait. One sibling rolled vegetarian, one rolled hopeless romantic and another was an evil daredevil but he was family oriented. Heh.

But, I admit there are a couple of traits I can't stand. Never nude is so...useless and No sense of humor just makes my teeth ache.

Favorite traits? Genius, bookworm and schmoozer.
  • Options
    tms272002tms272002 Posts: 686 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I use a process of charts and pie graphs to determine the gender and then my group of consultants comes up with the traits.
  • Options
    DewmzdeighDewmzdeigh Posts: 1,630 New Member
    edited August 2009
    tms272002 wrote:
    I use a process of charts and pie graphs to determine the gender and then my group of consultants comes up with the traits.

You avatar vaguely resembles my ex-wife.

At least I don't have to explain why she's an ex.
  • Options
    tms272002tms272002 Posts: 686 New Member
    edited August 2009
    :thumbup:
  • Options
    pinklilyrose7pinklilyrose7 Posts: 44 New Member
    edited August 2009
    My sims spend most of their time socializing, so i give them traits that would make it easier for them, for example, friendly, charismatic, hopeless romantic ( for more options with romance), etc..Lately, i kinda like natural cook trait for guys because there is something about a man that can cook. I dont play the legacy style and dont mind using cheats, so i can always change the trait that is not working out for my sim.
  • Options
    cupcakecupcake Posts: 5,097 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I have a plan for each sim and they get traits accordingly.
  • Options
    NemamiahNemamiah Posts: 749 New Member
    edited August 2009
    the traits dice have been my friend ever since I realised all of my sims were neurotic fishermen... now they're all just neurotic with a random array of crazy going on... I love neurosis for some reason...
  • Options
    romantiscizedromantiscized Posts: 163 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I create their personalities first, I have to throw in negatives for a more real effect... but, mostly I design them around a family dynamic I had in mind in the first place.
  • Options
    mafo1988mafo1988 Posts: 813 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I have all the traits written down on paper and numbered, I then ask who ever is in the room to pick numbers. That way I have no say whatsoever over the trats that my sims have....It makes it much more interesting lol I do this for in-game born sims too.

:DMafo:D
  • Options
    NemamiahNemamiah Posts: 749 New Member
    edited August 2009
    mafo1988 wrote:
    I have all the traits written down on paper and numbered, I then ask who ever is in the room to pick numbers. That way I have no say whatsoever over the trats that my sims have....It makes it much more interesting lol I do this for in-game born sims too.

:DMafo:D

I used to use this for stuff like that:
    http://www.random.org/integers/
  • Options
    byronh29byronh29 Posts: 182 New Member
    edited August 2009
    The problem with choosing your traits all the time is that you always eventually end up picking the same personalities. Especially since most traits are unavailable as soon as the baby is born and that's usually when people plan out their Sims' future lives.

I mean seriously, when a new baby is born there aren't enough "major" personality defining traits.... athletic, artistic, nice, genius, virtuoso?
  • Options
    romantiscizedromantiscized Posts: 163 New Member
    edited August 2009
    byronh29 wrote:
    The problem with choosing your traits all the time is that you always eventually end up picking the same personalities. Especially since most traits are unavailable as soon as the baby is born and that's usually when people plan out their Sims' future lives.

I mean seriously, when a new baby is born there aren't enough "major" personality defining traits.... athletic, artistic, nice, genius, virtuoso?

Yeah that really bugs me too... I'm playing a legacy challenge by Pinstar (the genius) and all the traits have to be picked at random. When they're babies they toss you a couple... but they save a lot more interesting traits for Teen or YA... I have to say though, so far my sim babies have been very different, let's hope the luck of the dice continues...
  • Options
    publicolapublicola Posts: 24 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I tend to pick my traits randomnly these days. When I first played I always assigned sims with good or family orientated traits and it was a yawn fest. I also found that if you throw in a couple of the negative traits such as grumpy or neurotic you tend to get better facial expressions for screen shots. I personally think the negative traits are much more indicative of real life lol.
  • Options
    the_harlequinadethe_harlequinade Posts: 512 Member
    edited August 2009
    I tend to look at my Sim after I've fiished their appearance and think 'If I met that person on the street, what would they be like?'
    It makes it pretty easy to fill in the traits.

Sometimes if I can't think of any for them, I randomize and then if there's a trait I really think doesn't suit them, the I change it.
  • Options
    arkhyelarkhyel Posts: 604 Member
    edited August 2009
    I give them couple of traits which will help them in work or living, and then couple that I feel they should have. I try to make variable but realistic sims.