Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can babies and children die in the Sims 3?

Hello, I have been reading online that apparently children and babies can die in the sims 3, and not just get taken away by the social worker.

I wanted to know if this was true and how it could happen. I wanted to do a tragic story where the only boy in the family dies of an illness... and the parents never get over it. But I don't know whether starving the child will make the social worker take him AND the other two girls away. I don't want to lose all my children.

Anyway, I know this is a strange topic, but I was hoping someone could give me an answer so that I don't lose all three children.

Thanks!

Comments

• thelawtmanthelawtman Posts: 1,424 Member
    edited July 2012
    I have never seen or heard of a baby being able to be killed in The sims 3 before, sounds something to morbid to be in a game like this.
    Could it possibly get uglier? I used to be a highly respected watcher, and now I'm a wounded dwarf with the mystical strength of a doily. I just wish I could sleep. - Rupert Giles

lpOEB4y.gif MeEUgvO.gif
  • silfrvargsilfrvarg Posts: 78 New Member
    edited July 2012
    I'm pretty sure children can die in a house fire, and they might be able to drown, but the social worker takes them away before they can starve.
    Maybe try deleting the doors so the social worker can't get to them? It might work.
    I'm more used to killing off adult sims in various entertaining ways.
  • TheCheezeAteMyCatTheCheezeAteMyCat Posts: 647 New Member
    edited July 2012
    silfrvarg wrote:
    Maybe try deleting the doors so the social worker can't get to them?
    They will teleport the child/baby out of the locked room if they can't get to them.
    Not that I've tested this before! :shock: But I know it happens!
  • BBBananasBBBananas Posts: 118 New Member
    edited July 2012
    I'm pretty sure children can die (most likely from drowning, burning to death, etc.) but I don't believe toddlers or babies can die. Like thelawtman said, it would be quite morbid to create the death of a baby/toddler.

I would suggest drowning him, but that's just me :P I'm sure there are other ways, I've just done this off the top of my head, but I hope it helps :)
  • Ray27Ray27 Posts: 513 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Children can die, but at the moment I think they can only die by drowning, fire and meteors. The rest of the death types don't seem to apply to them.

Death by hunger: Out of the question as they will be taken by the social worker.
    Death by electrocution: Not possible, since they can't repair anything.
    Death by old age: Well...you don't need an explanation for this, right? :lol:
    Death by cowplant: Children cannot interact with cowplants thus they will not be eaten.
    Death by thirst: They will be taken by the social worker as this is tied into hunger
    Death by mummy's Curse: Children can travel, but they can't go tomb exploring. So, no.
  • blacksheba1973blacksheba1973 Posts: 20,326 Member
    edited July 2012
    silfrvarg wrote:
    Maybe try deleting the doors so the social worker can't get to them?
    They will teleport the child/baby out of the locked room if they can't get to them.
    Not that I've tested this before! :shock: But I know it happens!
    :lol:
    YShQCz1.png
  • Simfreak89Simfreak89 Posts: 1,656 Member
    edited July 2012
    I've never had a child in my household die, but I've seen it in other households, the ones I don't control. But they just die because the town is too full
  • hanyohanyo Posts: 1,013 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Babies and toddlers can only die due to story progression when you aren't playing their house. When I was playing a player sim that had many children that he didn't live with with many different women I once got a message that one of the babies died.
  • MGSFan612MGSFan612 Posts: 3,429 Member
    edited July 2012
    Ray27 wrote:
    Death by cowplant: Children cannot interact with cowplants thus they will not be eaten.

children can interact with the plant but it can't kill them.
  • CatvanderMiauCatvanderMiau Posts: 38 Member
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for your answers!! I guess it just happens with story progression then...

I just hate that the social worker takes ALL the children when she comes. I wouldn't mind it if they just took the neglected child, but leaving my family childless is out of question. I think it's stupid that baby and toddlers are "magically" immune to all types of deaths. It's not that I wish them to die, but it would make for some very dramatic and tragic stories...

It's a shame they haven't included the lethal hamster virus since Sims 1... I miss that!!
  • shaposh2012shaposh2012 Posts: 760 Member
    edited July 2012

It's a shame they haven't included the lethal hamster virus since Sims 1... I miss that!!

Ha ha! I remember trapping a sim in a room full of hamster cages and she never seemed to catch the virus. It was so frustrating!
  • Katy7896Katy7896 Posts: 48 New Member
    edited August 2012
    In the sims 3 Showtime i was playing this family with a.Six level singer, her bff and her bff's boyfriend.So my sims bff gave birth to a baby boy.(i hate baby boys i like sims giving birth to girls since i am a girl)So i wanted to kill it.I set the house on fire.With the rug put up to fire place light the fire.But the baby did't DIE!But i forgot put walls around the babys room.And KILLED my sims household :oops:!But yes the baby did get taken away :D.So i think you Not do this.SIM BABIES WILL DIE! :twisted:
  • AnglePlay300AnglePlay300 Posts: 3,969 Member
    edited August 2012
    Katy7896 wrote:
    So i think you Not do this.SIM BABIES WILL DIE! :twisted:

Babies can't die of fire. Ever.

Ok, anyway. OP, you could always have it so that the boy dies in a fire and the parents never get over it. Or he drowns or something like that. Or you could just pretend that he drowned BECAUSE of his illness (he passed out or something in the pool and the parents weren't watching).

Playing the sims takes a lot of imagination. :lol: Things aren't always as easy as we'd like, so you have to be creative and lie to yourself about the state of your sims a lot. Like I'll create entire back stories for my sims in my head. But because it never actually happened to them it isn't *really* going to change how they live. But it WILL change how I make them live.

Like once I had a family that went through this crazy affair, divorce, stepmom, stepmom leaves, parents get remarried thing, and so I gave their oldest two (the younger ones were too young to have remembered everything happening) the commitment issues trait. And in my mind it was caused by all of the turmoil their parents went through and all of the confusion that was caused by said turmoil.
  • xWednesdayxxWednesdayx Posts: 2,478 New Member
    edited August 2012
    The babies can't die thank goodness. I was able to save a legacy because of this. The parents accidentally died and I quickly forced a random townie to join the household to take care of the baby.
  • AnglePlay300AnglePlay300 Posts: 3,969 Member
    edited August 2012
    The babies can't die thank goodness. I was able to save a legacy because of this. The parents accidentally died and I quickly forced a random townie to join the household to take care of the baby.

"YOU! STRANGE SIM! Come here!"

:lol: This was my first thought after reading your post.
  • Jed_Bartlet_02Jed_Bartlet_02 Posts: 425 Member
    edited August 2012
    If you're into Mods, the Force Kill option under Master Controller might be able to do it. It can kill any Sim and it gives you a menu option of all the ways a Sim can die. I usually pick "Meteor Strike."

I have never used it on a baby or toddler Sim, but maybe you can test it to see if it can be done. Just don't expect the Grim Reaper or anything. The force-killed Sim just disappears and a pop-up message says "_____ has been killed by a meteor". I use this for those annoying Paparazzi's always showing up on the lot.
  • hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited August 2012
    The meteor does not kill toddlers or babies.

I know this as my first one was a meteor that struck almost exactly on the toddler, and nothing happened. The meteor killed the kid nearby and dad. (The household was a mom, dad, kid, and toddler) The dad was about to pick up the toddler, and the kid who noticed it was baking a square back on the grid. Lo and behold, a meteor strikes! I didn't know this was possible at the time...

Luckily, the mom was able to save the dad who knew ambrosia. I don't typically like upsetting my normal families. Funny how they always get the most excitement!
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    edited August 2012
    I remember in Riverview, one of the Remington ghosts is a child, and her ghost is blue, meaning she drowned.

So that's one way to die. I think children can die by fire as well. They can't die any other way, since it's either impossible or the social worker takes them away.
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • RipleyrawrRipleyrawr Posts: 273 Member
    edited August 2012
    Children can die.

I think babies and toddlers can die if a mod can make it happen.
    iBVfjxN.gif
    Breadquanda is my spirit animal.
  • EiszimmerEiszimmer Posts: 969 Member
    edited August 2012
    Katy7896 wrote:
    In the sims 3 Showtime i was playing this family with a.Six level singer, her bff and her bff's boyfriend.So my sims bff gave birth to a baby boy.(i hate baby boys i like sims giving birth to girls since i am a girl)So i wanted to kill it.I set the house on fire.With the rug put up to fire place light the fire.But the baby did't DIE!But i forgot put walls around the babys room.And KILLED my sims household :oops:!But yes the baby did get taken away :D.So i think you Not do this.SIM BABIES WILL DIE! :twisted:

You would kill a baby because of gender? I am happy when my Sims have girls or boys. I am a girl as well but I do not condone the killing or neglect of a baby on basis of gender.
  • ArielleAArielleA Posts: 3,068 Member
    edited August 2012
    Eiszimmer wrote:
    Katy7896 wrote:

You would kill a baby because of gender? I am happy when my Sims have girls or boys. I am a girl as well but I do not condone the killing or neglect of a baby on basis of gender.

It's just a game. And sometimes gender is important to story writing.
  • EiszimmerEiszimmer Posts: 969 Member
    edited August 2012
    ArielleA wrote:
    Eiszimmer wrote:
    Katy7896 wrote:

It's just a game. And sometimes gender is important to story writing.

True, that is a good point but if I want a particular gender I take all the necessary steps to ensure one or the other beforehand rather than after. :P
  • melanieluannmelanieluann Posts: 491 Member
    edited August 2012
    You can kill toddlers with a mod, not sure about babies. When the toddlers die they get all stretched out, though. (Can't say which mod).
  • NotSoLuckyNotSoLucky Posts: 4,682 Member
    edited August 2012
    children can die. babies and toddlers cannot
  • SyuzothegeldummySyuzothegeldummy Posts: 6
    edited April 2013
    Here's my advice, if you want a way to kill off just one baby or toddler, here's the only easy way... Have the testingcheatsenabled true cheat on, (You can only make this interesting if memories exist, and WARNING: You can kill babies and toddlers this way, but they'll disappear from the game, only memories and family tree will remain, think of it as Cessation of Existence). Make the Baby get tired, give all members a custom memory about the baby getting sick, then shift-click on the baby later on (keep the energy bar low all of the time and keep them awake), and click on object, then it will say "Delete". Click that, and the baby will die by ceasing to exist. You'll have to make custom memories for other sims about this. See? Remember, after this, they will NEVER be able to be brought back, EVER. You should even make custom memories about that the baby died and cannot be brought back with the "Oh My Ghost" Opportunity.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top