Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone else just make White sims by accident?

I'm not even white in real life, I'm Native American.
Today I was flipping through the hundreds of sims screenshots I realized almost every single one of my sims is White :oops:
Even when I'm recreating my family members I make them all White if I don't pay attention...
I think that if I had more clothing and hair that spanned to different cultures(like that beautiful Indian set in the store!) I'd remember other races exist in Sims too ;-;

Comments

• Options
    WinterCloudsWinterClouds Posts: 1,966 Member
    edited August 2012
    I make a variety of sims. :)
  • Options
    SidSid3SidSid3 Posts: 636 Member
    edited August 2012
    Hmm... You know, I do make a bunch of white sims lol but recently I've been making a bunch of different races! I love chocolate-colored sims especially (OMNOMNOM.) but I have Mexican-looking sims and Asian sims... I have a pretty nice variety now :)
    To be honest, the reason I tend to make more white sims is because the facial structure is easy for me to create. It takes me A LOT longer to make the faces of sims of other races... I dunno. I'm a perfectionist. That might just be me, but I finally just figured out how to create beautiful (my version of beautiful, of course) Caucasian faces and I'm still trying to figure out other races :wink:
  • Options
    ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    edited August 2012
    I think a lot of my Sims are Mexican or Asian. But because I'm bad at making Sims, they just look white with black hair.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    camillecamille Posts: 480
    edited August 2012
    Well I make a lot of white sims but sometime, for the diversity I make some Indian or Asian family, but I suck at making Asian sims and don't even get me started on the black one... -_-
  • Options
    TwistedTransistorTwistedTransistor Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2012
    Archivist wrote:
    I think a lot of my Sims are Mexican or Asian. But because I'm bad at making Sims, they just look white with black hair.
    EXACTLY. I'm awful at facial structures so all of my sims that were meant to look like a non-white race look like white people with really bad tans or weird faces '-'
    I wish the pre-made sims were a little more accurate on the different races.
  • Options
    iDiruiDiru Posts: 2,061 New Member
    edited August 2012
    my sims are usually asian... I'm not asian. Sound like a weaboo but I'm not
  • Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    edited August 2012
    I really want the full "India Inspirations" Collection to go on sale so I can afford it because I want to add more diversity to my game. The clothing, hair and items looks incredibly beautiful! :)

Happy Simming! :D
  • Options
    MissSpiffeyMissSpiffey Posts: 212 Member
    edited August 2012
    You know...I've never really thought about this until now, but yes! I don't know that I'd say it's by "accident" because each feature is artfully chosen, but I don't think it's a conscious bias. I'm white, I tend to make, at the most, tan Sims. No I am not racist or prejudice, but I'm sure I am biased. I think the psychology is that we do what we know, and if you're not "caucasian" but do a lot of "white" sims, it might be based on where you live and your culture. A large fraction of media stars are white, models are often white, etc...it's kind of what we are exposed to. It's actually a fascinating psychological phenomenon now that I think about it.

On a related note, I think the whole "white prevalence" is actually a more common phenomenon than we realize. Take for example much of anime. We all know it's typically Japanese art, but the characters tend to have very anglo-features. Narrow faces and features, light colored eyes and hair, etc.

Anyways, interesting topic and I think it's kind of brave for you to step up and point it out!

Edited for wording and typos.
    Gallery: #ItzSpiffy - I make custom NoCC Wall Art for the game using only my sim's camera and in-game scenery! I also love building modern mansions among other things.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    You know...I've never really thought about this until now, but yes! I don't know that I'd say it's by "accident" because each feature is artfully chosen, but I don't think it's a conscious bias. I'm white, I tend to make, at the most, tan Sims. No I am not racist or prejudice, but I'm sure I am biased. I think the psychology is that we do what we know, and if you're not "caucasian" but do a lot of "white" sims, it might be based on where you live and your culture. A large fraction of media stars are white, models are often white, etc...it's kind of what we are exposed to. It's actually a fascinating psychological phenomenon now that I think about it.

On a related note, I think the whole "white prevalence" is actually a more common phenomenon than we realize. Take for example much of anime. We all know it's typically Japanese art, but the characters tend to have very anglo-features. Narrow faces and features, light colored eyes and hair, etc.

Anyways, interesting topic and I think it's kind of brave for you to step up and point it out!

Thanks :wink: I almost didn't post it because I thought someone might take it the very WRONG way.
    I never actually thought about it as a psychological thing. The idea even seems more valid when you look at Custom Content sites that were made by people in countries that aren't predominately white. Those CC sites almost always display perfect looking white sims, with exceptions of course, but it's almost never another race. Heck, even when I was looking for Asian and Hispanic skin recolors the models sporting them were white '-'
  • Options
    dreamsong1968dreamsong1968 Posts: 4,473 Member
    edited August 2012
    I'm not even white in real life, I'm Native American.
    Today I was flipping through the hundreds of sims screenshots I realized almost every single one of my sims is White :oops:
    Even when I'm recreating my family members I make them all White if I don't pay attention...
    I think that if I had more clothing and hair that spanned to different cultures(like that beautiful Indian set in the store!) I'd remember other races exist in Sims too ;-;

I'm just the opposite. I'm lily white--but most of my favorite sims are dark--India/Africa dark. I love braids, corn-rows, dreadlocks, etc. I often have my sim marry someone with the opposite skin tone to increase the diversity of genetics in the children they have. My favorite sim in my studio is an African-American artist named Amania. (Pardon the pix--I didn't realize until now that I lightened the images too much. Everything looks washed out.)

Of course I also just realized that despite my preference for dark simmies--most of my uploads are light skinned. :oops:
  • Options
    HaretonHareton Posts: 244
    edited August 2012
    I'm just the opposite. I'm lily white--but most of my favorite sims are dark--India/Africa dark. I love braids, corn-rows, dreadlocks, etc. I often have my sim marry someone with the opposite skin tone to increase the diversity of genetics in the children they have. My favorite sim in my studio is an African-American artist named Amania. (Pardon the pix--I didn't realize until now that I lightened the images too much. Everything looks washed out.)

Of course I also just realized that despite my preference for dark simmies--most of my uploads are light skinned. :oops:
    Amania is really beautiful! :-o
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited August 2012
    I am half-Japanese and I had been happily playing my game for a few weeks when it occurred to me that there was not a single asian in the town I had populated :shock: I quickly remedied that. :D

ETA: I guess there was one Eurasian in town as my simself is living across the street from the household I am playing ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Thanks :wink: I almost didn't post it because I thought someone might take it the very WRONG way.
    I never actually thought about it as a psychological thing. The idea even seems more valid when you look at Custom Content sites that were made by people in countries that aren't predominately white. Those CC sites almost always display perfect looking white sims, with exceptions of course, but it's almost never another race. Heck, even when I was looking for Asian and Hispanic skin recolors the models sporting them were white '-'

I was thinking much along the same lines. Most of my sims--even the darkest ones--have very caucasian features. I would blame it on the media and it's idea of beautiful perfection, but I know better.

There are scientific studies about this stuff, believe it or not. We seem to be hard-wired to identify and respond physically to the best (i.e. most-fertile) mates based on facial symmetry, proportions between features, etc. Those who are most fertile tend to have very balanced features that fall within a very narrow range of proportions. (I don't remember now how or why they are linked that way, but it was a very interesting study.) In reality, those who meet these facial requirements are generally rated as more attractive, and found to be highly fertile as well. So, if anything, the media is just giving us all a glimpse of the ideal beauty that we are all hardwired to seek.

Of course...I really don't believe everything I see on TV, read in a magazine/online, or chat about in a forum. :wink: The entire study could be hog-wash, or disproved by a more recent study.

Link to Study

Edit: Added link to study.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Mikezumi wrote:
    I am half-Japanese and I had been happily playing my game for a few weeks when it occurred to me that there was not a single asian in the town I had populated :shock: I quickly remedied that. :D

ETA: I guess there was one Eurasian in town as my simself is living across the street from the household I am playing ;)

I hope you will post some of your Asian simmies--I can never get mine to look quite right. :?
  • Options
    EternalRoseEternalRose Posts: 763 Member
    edited August 2012
    I always make mine white, but more like the fantasy shades like vamps & elves. :P Every now & then I make a few Hawaiian ones, usually when I dream about going there though...........*ahhh......sighs* one of these days I'm going to be able to afford a Hawaiian vacation. :lol:

I try to make different Sims but I'm not that good at it all my Start to look the same after awhile, so I'm still working on them. Yeah I was so pleased to see that EA added more flavor to the store, I love the new hairs! Especially the African ones.
  • Options
    zekrayatzekrayat Posts: 1,855 Member
    edited August 2012
    No, I'm rubbish at making white sims.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    kirkuk wrote:
    I clicked on your pictures on your siggy and WOW you have some great looking sims and photo skills XD I'd kill to have sim building skills like yours!
  • Options
    MysteryJokerMysteryJoker Posts: 1,279 Member
    edited August 2012
    kirkuk wrote:

I find that hard to believe considering it takes effort to make an ugly sim :P
  • Options
    xXPlagueXRatXxxXPlagueXRatXx Posts: 160 Member
    edited August 2012
    I just noticed that one of my sims who's supposed to be sort of anime-like looks like a white sim who has black hair, big, glowing purple eyes with anime contacts (she's a vampire), wears cat ears and wields a katana. Did I mention that she also has a Japanese name? Plus, I also noticed that she looks almost the same as all of the other female sims that I make despite the different hair and eye color/combos. :?
  • Options
    xWednesdayxxWednesdayx Posts: 2,478 New Member
    edited August 2012
    I make all different kinds of sims. I would get bored with my game if I didn't. I'm not particularly good at making them, but I do my best. ^_^ It's fun.
  • Options
    NofravellNofravell Posts: 975 Member
    edited August 2012
    Hm I do belive I have a few other beautiful races besides white sims. But the majority is white. I think I should start using the others more then the white. But I do agree with you TwistedT, I strongly belive it's because the majority of the hairs and clothes are "Whiteish" and it does take a lot of time to rearange their faces to make them look more ethnic.

I love the african set here in the store, haven't gotten around to buy it yet though. Oh and I wish EA a could make a Native American set, simply because everytime I try to make a native american sim, something's missing, both in CAS objects and decor items. That and I have always been very interested in their culture. :)
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited August 2012
    When I first read the title, White sims, I was thinking the actual color white. I did once, well as close as the game will allow. Her eyes were white, her hair was white, and her skin was so white it looked just a little bit on the blue side.

When it comes to the skin color of my sims, I have made nearly every shade of normal skin tones, black, white, and everything else in between. It all just depends on what my story is going to be, or the mood I'm in.
  • Options
    DiamondkoolDiamondkool Posts: 4,481 Member
    edited August 2012
    Sometimes I make a sim with dark skin but most time I make white people because I don't know, I'm just used to it, I am one of white people but I am not racist. I'm friendly to all people, white and black. ;)

But, thanks for pointing it out, I should make lots of ethnic people. :oops:
    7ef6931fe80152dcec309a30cbe73f13.png
    Click on my signature to access my tumblr blog!
  • Options
    HotBlackBabeHotBlackBabe Posts: 250
    edited August 2012
    I just make what I make... 8)
  • Options
    MeghanMusicLuvr28MeghanMusicLuvr28 Posts: 51
    edited August 2012
    Mine are white but only because I lack the patience to try and make some other races. I do have quite a few african-americans though, too.