March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is in a name? Q and A thread

Comments

• potterphylepotterphyle Posts: 3,659 Member
    edited August 2012
    This is an interesting thread!

I had no idea that I would ever be using these forums, so I wasn't really thinking that I would need a username that represents me. After trying a few things that were already taken, I looked around the room for inspiration and there was a carved walking stick (from my boyfriend's travels) in the corner. Unsurprisingly no one had taken that name :roll: Now that I had a username I needed an avi. I looked through the default ones and saw this old man and thought he suited the name walkingstick!

However, most people now assume I'm an old man. I'm actually a 37 year old woman. I will eventually change the avi but I must admit that I've become a bit attached to my old man walkingstick persona. I think it makes me a bit memorable as there aren't many old men on here! I'll be a bit sad to see him go!

LOL, I thought you were a grandpa that played sims! You and I are almost the same age too. ;-) So funny! This thread has been really informative.
  • joeythesimsfanjoeythesimsfan Posts: 849 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Wow reading all the stories is interesting.

Mine not so much though.

Joey, is what i often go by in RL. (My nickname) and thesimsfan part comes from being a sims fan. If you want a little more than that, i realised i was using the same user name for everything because it was easy to remember and then i realised if you googled that user name you could discover far far far to much about me, and stuff i hadn't looked at since i was a young teenager all linked together on the internet :oops: . Not good, so i made a name unique to this site and have been doing that ever since.
  • ElimarnaElimarna Posts: 1,484 Member
    edited August 2012
    So many interesting stories! :mrgreen:

Have you ever heard of the ultimate way to test just how original and unique the name you made up actually is? You try to register it on WoW.

I did this successfully several years after I created the name Elimarna.

Initially, the name was created as my moniker for another game, Runescape, as I was desperate to avoid using numbers in whatever name I settled on. It took probably half an hour for me to come up with Elimarna, but once I got it, I was thrilled and felt all unique and stuff.

Later I was able to register it successfully on several other games, including WoW and LOTRO. My monarch in Sims Medieval is named Elimarna, my first ever character on a bulletin board RPG (Harry Potter, of course) was named Elimarna, and she's basically become my alter-ego.

I think it's safe to say I invented a name.

So if you ever see an Elimarna floating around elsewhere, it's me. I've tried to register with her name on other sites before and found it already registered, but it's always because I forgot I registered already.

Oh, I also love to write fantasy and participate in NaNoWriMo every year (but not under the name Elimarna). One time, during a different WriMo (JulNoWriMo), I ended up creating this massive backstory behind the character of Elimarna. She's this immortal being who always has a lot of cats around her and can invade any story in any universe and change the plot completely. This amuses me. So her proper title, after ages of development, is Elimarna the Magical Cat-Herder, Queen of Herown Universe.
  • anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited August 2012
    hmm... my story is boring...

My name is Anette... that was taken... I needed it to still be Anette so I could remember it.... didn't wanted numbers, so took some letters that do have a conection to me....

🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
    edited August 2012
    skdluzak wrote:
    So interseting to see how everyone came up with their names....
    mine is really boring. When i started college they used my first and middle initial and my last name S.K.Dluzak Even though I was married eight years ago and this is no longer my name, this has always been my login for everything.... when I came here I was only planning on registering games to get the free content and did not intend to visit the forums..... so i really didnt put any thought into it. This is what I always use so its easy to remember.... When Sims4 launches be expecting something far more interseting ;)

NO NO... we would need to beable to reconice each other
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • KatimoKatimo Posts: 467 New Member
    edited August 2012
    my username is my nickname that my bestfriend gave to me in sixth grade. My first name is Kati and my middle name is Morgan so he combined the two and came up with Katimo.
  • bananaholicbananaholic Posts: 4,314 New Member
    edited August 2012
    I used to make Youtube videos and there was this youtuber, I loved her videos and her name was anniecarrots. I immediately knew I wanted a fruit in my name and I made a Youtube "timbananas". I like bananas, but they aren't my favourite fruit. since I didn't want my name to be same as my username I went with bananaholic instead. I was only 13 when I made this account and I will definitely change my username with TS4.

As for my avi, I always wanted a kitty, but my dad is allergic and my mum is a neat freak, so I created a cat in CAS and needed a name for it. As a die hard Desperate Housewives fan I was just rewatchung the series and the tornado episode Ida died, but she had a cat named Toby, so that's why my kitty's name is Toby.
    edited August 2012
    I have always been rednotdead on whichever forum I go on, but that was taken here so I added the Ms as at the time I wasnt married lol. But why Red Not Dead?

While at work one day, I was taking a break (it had been rather hectic) sitting there with my eyes closed not really taking much in. Being a redhead, my nickname at work was Red.....you can probably guess the rest.....My boss yelled across the romm at me 'Hey Red are you dead?' I mumbled back 'Red Not Dead, you work me too hard so I havent got time to die'

didn't know this... cool story... "no time to die" :lol: priezless
    edited August 2012
    crinrict wrote:
    Back in the 80ies there was this computer magazine in Germany. They had a cute little bat and were looking for a name. Crinrict was something I just made up out of nowhere cause I thought it sounded appropriate for the bat.

Of course they chose something easy to remember cutesy type of thing (I forgot what it was) so when I was looking for name for a Sims 2 forum, I decided to re-use that.

Story behind my Ava: I then thought of course I need a bat as an ava but at that forum I was registering someone already had a bat as theirs so I thought, what would be more appropriate than a springboard diver (as most of you know, I do springboard diving myself, not very good but it's still the best sport in the world) so I was looking around the net and the little guy just caught my eye.

Today he has become my association and I feel really bad about that because although I still love the little guy, he has two major drawbacks.

1. Everyone that first reads my posts thinks I'm male
    2. I never feel comfortably using him cause someone made him and I have no clue who that is. I tried so many thing so to actually find out who made it and if it's ok when I continue to use him but I was not able to re-find him. If anyone know anything about my ava, please let me know.

Love everyone's story

When seasons comes you can make a avi with a sim girl using the diveboard... if you want...
  • Fordee09Fordee09 Posts: 7,341 Member
    edited August 2012
    Ready for the Toughest Challenge EVER!

My friends call me Fordee...and I got The Sims 3 in 2009...Brainbuster ain't it :L
    tumblr_mnt6wnw49M1rx891yo2_500.gif
  • Emmy0322Emmy0322 Posts: 1,239 New Member
    edited August 2012
    My story's pretty boring but kinda longish.
    When I got Sims 2 I made an account because I wanted free things. I never figured how to actually get the items and never really used the account. When I was making the account I wanted the name Emmyj94 because it was a username I used for another site so it would be easy to remember. Well it didn't work so I tried a bunch of other things. I eventually got annoyed and just took the first username suggestion they came with. Then when I made my new account I guess my Sims 2 account was attached to my email or something because when I made an account on here I didn't get to pick my username it was weird. So it's the one I had for Sims 2 and I don't like it because it's not very creative or anything but I guess I'm stuck with it now. :D
  • MurglemurgleMurglemurgle Posts: 245 Member
    edited August 2012
    Umm, nothing like becoming level 60 (back in the good ol' days) and returning to the starter zones to kill them blasted murlocs >.<. And, about that murloc coin, I've been trying to remember what it said but I just completely forgot, so, what did it say x.x?.. and never feel bad about attacking murlocs, they have a plan to take over the world, I know it, they are everywhere, they want to enslave us!.. and we orcs cannot let that happen, ever again D: .

I was wondering about so many names, glad they already participated in this thread ;) .
  • Hello83433Hello83433 Posts: 3,403 Member
    edited August 2012
    Well, I chose my name because i'm always a friendly person. In fact, if we were standing face to face, The first thing i would say is "Hello,how is your day?". 83433, I chose that number because that was the lucky answer to my Triganometry test i took in the 7th grade and i was the only one to get a 100%!!!!!
    403046191195314s.jpg
  • HessethRanHessethRan Posts: 1,522 Member
    edited August 2012
    Umm, nothing like becoming level 60 (back in the good ol' days) and returning to the starter zones to kill them blasted murlocs >.<. And, about that murloc coin, I've been trying to remember what it said but I just completely forgot, so, what did it say x.x?.. and never feel bad about attacking murlocs, they have a plan to take over the world, I know it, they are everywhere, they want to enslave us!.. and we orcs cannot let that happen, ever again D: .

I was wondering about so many names, glad they already participated in this thread ;) .

Murky's Copper Coin

"I wish the water in Northrend wasn't so cold, it makes me sleepy."

Made me want to pet murlocs :lol:
    My Origin ID: RoseElsing
  • KrazyKat888KrazyKat888 Posts: 455 Member
    edited August 2012
    what a neat thread. nice to see where everyone's names come from :D

Mine is obvious, I think. I am not creative so my sn is my name Mashelle Stevens.. apparently I don't care about giving out personal information :P, but I also did not realize people would see it haha. My name is pronounced just like Michelle, my mom just spelled it weird for some reason. My aunt told me it was spelled that way as in ma's hell lol .. but I don't think that was the case :P

Hehe. Being me, I actually googled the name and clicked on a Facebook page. I wasn't sure it was you, but I realized it was because "Mashelle liked Tek Logan TV". :P
  • maria_loves_alexmaria_loves_alex Posts: 9,054 Member
    edited August 2012
    My name is Marianna (that's where the Maria bit comes in) some people call me Maria for short and Alex is my husband and I love him because he accepts my sims addiction :lol: we have been together for 4 years, and married for almost 1 (anniversary is on the 15th of October) and that's my story :)

and another fun fact, my younger brother is also called Alex
    My Page: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/maria_loves_alex

Follow me on the Sims 4 Gallery - ID 'MariannaSims'
    edited August 2012
    Mine is pretty lame. Okay, so my first name is Katlyn (pronounced Kait-lyn) and some people call me Kat. Krazy because I'm pretty weird and I spelled Kat with a K. 888 because 88 is my favourite number and when I tried to use that (KrazyKat88) on another website (I have that username on a lot of websites), it was taken. I have a pretty lame explanation compared to most of you.
    edited August 2012
    My name is Marianna (that's where the Maria bit comes in) some people call me Maria for short and Alex is my husband and I love him because he accepts my sims addiction :lol: we have been together for 4 years, and married for almost 1 (anniversary is on the 15th of October) and that's my story :)

Your brother and husband have the same name? That could get confusing...
  • maria_loves_alexmaria_loves_alex Posts: 9,054 Member
    edited August 2012

Your brother and husband have the same name? That could get confusing...

it does/did but my mother in law dubbed my brother as 'little Alex'...thing is he's not so little anymore - he's 13 and is now pretty much as tall as me and I'm 5'8" :lol:
    My Page: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/maria_loves_alex

Follow me on the Sims 4 Gallery - ID 'MariannaSims'
  • ashleyadorableashleyadorable Posts: 7,254 Member
    edited August 2012
    So my name starts off by coming from a stuffed animal I named Ashley.
    :lol:
    The thing is, with this stuffed bear you could enter their code online to make your own virtual account. You could play with your bear as a virtual bear and have your own person to control. You couldn't fully customize your account name though. When I was choosing my name from the preset list, Ashley came up so I named it after my bear. Then Adorable was on the list of second names. So ashleyadorable it was!

And I have stuck with that name ever since. It's really easy to remember I guess.
  • wensimmiewensimmie Posts: 1,750 Member
    edited August 2012
    This is a fun thread. Love reading how everyone came up with their usernames.

Mine is pretty boring.

My name is Wendy - or Wen for short
    I love the Sims and my great-grandmother's last name was Simms - so I tacked on Simmie to my name :)
  • Hedy1975Hedy1975 Posts: 42
    edited August 2012
    Hedy is my nickname. My older sister couldn't say Heather. It came out Hedy and stuck. 1975 is my birth year. I hated the nickname. My mom was the only one to call me that. After she died, I started using it as a profile name.
  • AgemsAgems Posts: 130 Member
    edited August 2012
    The A in the name is because my first name starts with an A. I usually do A_gems, but it wouldn't let me put _ for some reason, so it's just Agems. The gems part is because it's a part of my Club Penguin name (haven't used that in years...) and part of my email address. ^_^
    Signature made by makinmagic58 on Sims 3 forums
    es18hx.jpg
    "On a scale from one to even, I can't."
  • 45rpm45rpm Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited August 2012
    I chose my name because we have this old 45rpm record player in our house and I like putting on some of those records from way back when and listening to them.
  • lolzbrlolzbr Posts: 989 Member
    edited August 2012
    my name is clare, and i laugh at everything i hear. lots of people call me clarebear, unfortunately, so LOLZ and BEAR is where my username came from. lolz