Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My sims keep saying there's something in the way?

There is NOTHING in the way, there are no objects anywhere near them. I have to keep using "moveobjects on" to move them around! Any help?

Comments

• never_forget_oct_3never_forget_oct_3 Posts: 268 Member
    edited February 2012
    It might be a long shot, but have you tried reset sim?
  • KayleighmartinKayleighmartin Posts: 754 Member
    edited February 2012
    reset sim will work you need to type it in like this:
    resetsim (first name) (last name)
  • MystyrysMystyrys Posts: 605 Member
    edited February 2012
    I was having a something in the way issue a few days ago and was kind of annoyed when I finally figured out what was wrong.

My sim would be upstairs in the bedroom, or in the kitchen or out by the mailbox -- just random places -- and he'd do that something in the way animation and crossed out footsteps thought bubble. I couldn't find anything physically in his way. He'd apparently be "trapped" in places that were no problem just moments before. I'd move objects out of his way, I reset sim, I'd save and quit and restart. Sometimes he'd just walk away, as if never blocked, but other times he'd still stand there, even in an empty room, waving his hands around about being blocked.

Finally, I noticed that every time he was blocked, the action queue showed an image of the lawn sprinkler. I hadn't reckoned out just what the relationship was but suddenly the light bulb in my brain came on.

He wanted to play in the sprinkler. It was placed so it covered the entire garden, however, it was in a circle of trees, which did NOT allow room for him to get next to it to play in the spray.

Argh! :oops:

So I moved the sprinkler out into an open area of the yard. And no more blocked sim problem.

Now when my sim starts freaking out about being blocked, I first look to see what is in his action queue.

• linzmaddoglinzmaddog Posts: 1 New Member
    edited March 2012
    My sims didnt like the walls in their house, so now I have to have an open plan house, which is really annoying..
  • extremeasaurextremeasaur Posts: 2,701 Member
    edited March 2012
    this used to happen to me from time to time, but then I realized it was at the destination that was the problem.

I wanted them to go to bed, but the stairs were blocked or the wall was too close to the shower so they wouldn't go.

It has nothing to do with what is right in front of the them. Check the entire path because something is in his way from where he is to where he wants to go.

I had a chair placed too far from a table and he was outside. I wanted him to go inside. It wasn't until I realized the obstruction was the chair - not his path of travel.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited March 2012
    I have had this happen and i don't think reset Sim worked for this issue so i just went into buy mode to make a copy of the object then sell the "broken" object and replace it with the copy. Worked fine. By broken i mean not usable.. My issue was with a bed.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • SanguineWolfSanguineWolf Posts: 2 New Member
    edited March 2012
    :roll:

If your sim says "protrudy" that means something is in the way. Example: you've set up the bathroom. Now you send your sim to use the bathtub to take a delightful bubble bath to sooth away his weariness, love problems, frazzled work day, etc., and he tells you, his trusted AVADAR, "... protrudy". That means he cannot perform the computer generated motions in the space you've allowed due to the position of objects you've place in the area/block where he needs to stand. bend over, and stretch out to run the tub water. Also, some tubs are one-sided and directional for the sim's use of it. Most tubs can be used from either side, but not all of them. All showers are entered from the left, so make sure your placement of it is accommodating the sim. Other than a rug, don't have anything on the floor in front of the tub or shower.

Picture bubbles will appear over a griping sim to let you know, usually, what is in their way right now or where they are wanting to go.

I had sims keep complaining about a spiral staircase even though I couldn't see anything wrong with it from any angle. They were able to walk around it to go through the door into their bedroom. However, the next day when baby was awake and needing fed, Mom didn't respond to baby when I kept commanding her to feed the baby. So, as the baby's moodlet is going from yellow to orange, I sent Dad to feed the baby several times. Baby goes complete red, while parents moodlets are still green. However, I was visually with the baby while only highlighting the parent, and clicking on the baby to select baby's needs to be met. When I finally located the parents, both of them were on the sides sound asleep in fetal position, STUCK in the spiral staircase. Parents and baby died because I didn't know how to resolve the situation. I didn't know any cheats like "resetsim..." and using the telephone to "move" the sims didn't work either because the parents were permanently stuck on their sides. Sims have to be standing and walk away several feet in order to place a phone call for any purpose. They were among my stuck sims who died.

Before learning the cheat "resetsim..." just a few days ago, the only way I could save a stuck sim was through embarrassing them with eviction from the house. But, I could not save sims who were stuck on my sims' property and I had no clue were the visiting sim lived. Does "resetsim...." work on a sim that is not part of your household? I have no idea.

Those are my tricks and troubles regarding stuck or griping sims. Hope the info helps.
  • MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited March 2012
    I have had this happen and i don't think reset Sim worked for this issue so i just went into buy mode to make a copy of the object then sell the "broken" object and replace it with the copy. Worked fine. By broken i mean not usable.. My issue was with a bed.

Same here- my issue was with a dresser that was bad CC
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited March 2012
    MinDtriKz wrote:

Same here- my issue was with a dresser that was bad CC
    Strange. My bed wasn't a CC object though.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Cabrie5Cabrie5 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited July 2012
    I'm having the same problem. Like there is something in front of them. They have their little thought bubble and in it is a blue pillow with footsteps saying its in the way but there is absolutely nothing there. I have tried all of the suggestions but nothing works! That area is still taboo for them, at most I have gotten them to walk around it at times.Grrr very frustrating. :hunf:
  • thekendranaterthekendranater Posts: 2 New Member
    edited July 2012
    This is driving me crazy! It's happened in a lot of my games making it impossible for me to play normally without using cheats. My sims just stand there waving not able to get into their homes because of a blue pillow blocking the way. It's some problem with the door itself because they can walk up close to the door they just wont go through it. Anyone know what this problem is? The weird thing is is it just pops up after a few days in the game. The first few days are fine and they can get in and out then bam! they just stop going through the door even though i haven't placed anything new around the door!
  • MariesaliasMariesalias Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited July 2012
    As near as I can tell, sometimes items get glitched. If that is the case, you can sell the item and replace it and it should be okay then. It happens to EA items as well as CC.

Spiral stairs are often an issue. Sometimes they can go up them but not down then, or visa versa. Pets often have issues with spiral stairs. If you put any railings around them they probably won't be able to use them (my sims have never been able to use them both ways with a railing). Sometimes it helps to sell the stairs and re-place them, especially if you downloaded the lot. Spiral stairs and elevators seem to need to be reset (replaced) often. But as someone mentioned, you can have walls or even items too close to spiral stairs that will keep them from working properly. If you use MOO, it is probably best not to use it on anything near the stairs.

Using the cheat Moveobjects on can also cause a lot of pathing errors. Something may look like it has a lot of room around it but for the game/sim it is protruding in a way it shouldn't so it prevents them from going around it or using it. It is best to not use MOO on anything that a sim can have actions with, like a chair or a stove. Even if they are not glitched in the beginning, they can become so over time. I've noticed that even some of EA's houses that use this cheat start to 'break' after awhile. MOO is a tool really best used by builders that really know what they are doing and understand the many ways it can glitch. (Which is not me so I usually only use it on plants or things that can't be selected by a sim!)

Another common thing that can cause pathing issues for sims and pets are fences, bushes, and even groupings of trees. You need to make sure there is a way out of a fenced area and any groupings. Sims and pets can, and will get stuck behind fenced off areas (like for landscaping purposes) that have no way out. If you have a horse on the lot, everything should have at least two spaces of clearance. And i have read that the V-shaped formation of trees that is used on a lot of beach lots often cause horses to get stuck.

It helps to make sure there is room for sims to move around objects properly. I had a sim in my town that wasn't going to work and wouldn't come over even though she said she would. She was home but wouldn't answer the door. I switched to her household to see what her problem was and found her stuck under a closed off stairway in the garage. As near as I can tell, there just wasn't room beside the car for her to spawn in but the staircase was there so the game out her there. I moved the staircase and the issue disappeared. I hadn't worried about clearance before that because sims always seemed to just spawn where ever when getting out of a car.

Finally, you really want to fix/remove as many pathing issues as you can. Every time a sim or animal (even the 'wild' ones and service sims & tourists) get stuck it causes errors, over time these build up and create more and more lag in your game. Eventually, they can help corrupt your save.

I didn't repeat advice already given, like reset the sim or lot. You can also try going into edit town and evicting the sim/family that way then move them back into the house. For community lots (when sims get stuck on them), I have had some success with going into edit town and moving the lot (basically, use the move to on the lot, then place it back where it was. You can also try saving the lot to the library/bin (if it isn't there already), then deleting it and place a new lot on the now empty lot.

Hope some of this helps!
  • MariesaliasMariesalias Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited July 2012
    This is driving me crazy! It's happened in a lot of my games making it impossible for me to play normally without using cheats. My sims just stand there waving not able to get into their homes because of a blue pillow blocking the way. It's some problem with the door itself because they can walk up close to the door they just wont go through it. Anyone know what this problem is? The weird thing is is it just pops up after a few days in the game. The first few days are fine and they can get in and out then bam! they just stop going through the door even though i haven't placed anything new around the door!

I've had this issue almost since the game launched. Usually I delete the door and replace it. If that doesn't work I remove any items anywhere near the door. One time it was a dollhouse that was on the porch and 5 spaces away from the door on the porch! :shock: If you have an entryway that contains an arch (before the door) it can confuse sims as the door is considered inside a room (or something like that). I have found that any lot I find with issues like this, often adding a second door to the back or side can help it (if I can't figure it out). Sure, sims might use the wrong door to enter but at least they can enter. If I find a lot that really just can't seem to fix no matter what I try, I usually delete it from my game now to avoid the errors (and lag) it can cause. HTH!
  • thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    edited July 2012
    Sometimes the pets toys get in the way and are in front of the fridge or stove and then the sim get's mad and walks away. I didn't realize something so small as a catnip toy could block their path....but it can. and if you place the round stairs without enough space for them to get up and down they wont use them. It's little things like that, that will make them get stuck.
  • thekendranaterthekendranater Posts: 2 New Member
    edited August 2012
    I've had this issue almost since the game launched. Usually I delete the door and replace it. If that doesn't work I remove any items anywhere near the door. One time it was a dollhouse that was on the porch and 5 spaces away from the door on the porch! :shock: If you have an entryway that contains an arch (before the door) it can confuse sims as the door is considered inside a room (or something like that). I have found that any lot I find with issues like this, often adding a second door to the back or side can help it (if I can't figure it out). Sure, sims might use the wrong door to enter but at least they can enter. If I find a lot that really just can't seem to fix no matter what I try, I usually delete it from my game now to avoid the errors (and lag) it can cause. HTH!

thanks Mariesalias, i will try this and see how it works.
  • marhanjammarhanjam Posts: 4 New Member
    edited November 2012
    This happens to me just few days ago. Whenever i ask my sims to " Go Here " on some path. They will show a blue pillow in the bubble on thier head and saying there is that thing in their way but theres actually nothin! :x Its so annoying! Even though i Evict the household, few minutes later, it happen again. Is this probably got to do with the mods that i've installed? Or maybe its a glitch? EA needs to fix this.
  • rockstar_babe_55rockstar_babe_55 Posts: 24 Member
    edited March 2013
    i also had the same problem. but i just got generations and world adventures yesterday and the problem happened after i installed those eps. i had my sim living in starlight shores in one of the original homes, nothing i built or downloaded. all she was doing was stargazing and then i tried to make her go inside and refused to go in because the door was in the way. the same with the front door. but if i took the wall down it was fine. so i put it back up and put back the doors but she couldnt get out of the house because, once, again, door was in the way. there was nothing blocking it.

i noticed the same thing happened with the arch on the outside of the house that connects to the path that leads to street. she refused to go through it too because the front door was in the way. so i had to delete that section of the wall and she can walk through it but still not get in her house.

so i got fed up and bought her a computer and moved her into better house and so far no problems with the doors. all that happened was she lit a fire in the fireplace and it leapt out and set fire to the carpet but thats normal.

• 1wolffan1wolffan Posts: 2 New Member
    edited March 2013
    I've had this issue too but with several different things. And nothing is blocked on my property. I generally can solve it by telling them to "Go here" about 2 inches away, then queue up what I wanted them to do in the first place. But it is annoying when you tell them, for example, go harvest that wild pepper just of the property line, then come back to put away your dirty dishes you just left on the table (neither of which are blocked out in any way). And they say "no feets" >> I'ma cancel all your queue >> "I think I'll go play in the sprinkler now..." Never mind that the plate is on a picnic table 5 'blocks' away from the sprinkler...

This happens roughly two or three times per 5 hour play session.

Also why is it every time I let my Sims idle on their own... "Sprinkler"? I have a video game system on a nice TV set, a highly expensive laptop just chilin' there on the Simhogany desk, and a neat little dance-ish area set aside for music. Never mind that sometime their stats are in the yellow, or the baby needs attention. No combine that "erase all queue because I obviously can't get there" thing I mentioned above with wanting to play in the sprinkler, and it get's really annoying.
  • kenziexjaydenkenziexjayden Posts: 12 New Member
    edited March 2013
    I have this problem ALL THE TIME! I replace the item but once again they cant move.I move the sims with MoveObjects but that doesnt work.Im sick of this.My sim is about to die because she cant eat anything.Every time she uses an object a bubble pops up with footsteps saying she cant cause something is in the way!HELP
  • AMariseSAMariseS Posts: 2,458 Member
    edited March 2013
    I have this problem ALL THE TIME! I replace the item but once again they cant move.I move the sims with MoveObjects but that doesnt work.Im sick of this.My sim is about to die because she cant eat anything.Every time she uses an object a bubble pops up with footsteps saying she cant cause something is in the way!HELP

Sorry if you have tried, since it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but have you tried Ctrl+Shift+C resetsim firstname lastname ?
  • FierraFierra Posts: 17 New Member
    edited June 2013
    You can wright 'ResetSim (sim's name)' in the cheatbox (ctrl+shift+c). If that doesn't help try wrighting 'testingcheatsenabled true' in the cheatbox and then by holding ctrl+shift+click on wherever you want them to go click on teleport ;)

I like your pic btw :P
  • liindsayanneliindsayanne Posts: 4 New Member
    edited August 2013
    zrh1i.png

This is my problem. She cannot cook as the entire area in the middle of my kitchen appears to be unusable? I cannot click to walk into that area. The queue picture does not change from fridge/cooker. I have tried reset and re-bought all the items. I have tried deleting the entire kitchen and she still cannot cook. Any ideas?
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    edited August 2013
    This is my problem. She cannot cook as the entire area in the middle of my kitchen appears to be unusable? I cannot click to walk into that area. The queue picture does not change from fridge/cooker. I have tried reset and re-bought all the items. I have tried deleting the entire kitchen and she still cannot cook. Any ideas?

I had the same problem. The only way I could correct it was to go into Edit town mode. Click on the bulldozer and bulldoze the lot. It will tell you to move the family out first. Move them out WITH the house. They will be on the clipboard. Bulldoze the house then delete the lot. Now place a new lot back where you removed the other one. Now click on the family on the clipboard and place them with their house back on the lot. This was the only way I could manage to clear the blocked path. I tried to reset the lot and it didn't help. It was like there were invisible items blocking their path and somehow doing it this way managed to reset everything. Hope this helps. :)
  • liindsayanneliindsayanne Posts: 4 New Member
    edited August 2013
    AudreyFld wrote:
    I had the same problem. The only way I could correct it was to go into Edit town mode. Click on the bulldozer and bulldoze the lot. It will tell you to move the family out first. Move them out WITH the house. They will be on the clipboard. Bulldoze the house then delete the lot. Now place a new lot back where you removed the other one. Now click on the family on the clipboard and place them with their house back on the lot. This was the only way I could manage to clear the blocked path. I tried to reset the lot and it didn't help. It was like there were invisible items blocking their path and somehow doing it this way managed to reset everything. Hope this helps. :)

Thank you! This fixed it :)
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    edited August 2013
    I am so glad it worked for you. :mrgreen:
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top