Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Not a Vacation Pack

124...Next

Comments

• FeldynnFeldynn Posts: 331 Member
    edited August 2009
    Akila906 wrote:
    CoffeeChick: You're more than welcome to disagree with me ;) That's what this forum is all about...sharing different opinions. It would be very boring around here if we all felt, thought, and saw things the same way, wouldn't it? ;) Just as long as people don't get nasty or personal, I'm all for voicing differing opinions :D

Actually, I think that Lyndsay Pearson is being intentionally vague in a lot of areas because they may or may not change things before the release date. So if she said it was going to be this way or going to be that way and then they change things, it makes her look stupid ;) But if she's vague, gives confusing answers and doesn't give too many specifics and then they change something down the road, she doesn't look stupid...lol ;):D

I think I'm reading things similarly to CoffeeChick0 hehe, I pick up on the temporary phrases like "travel to", "return home", "while visiting" and so on :). But what really stuck out in my mind was this quote from a different interview with Lyndsay Pearson that'd I'd quoted earlier in the thread..

Taken from an interview by Jeuxvideo.com with Lyndsay Pearson (Click here for the whole interview)
    jeuxvideo.com: Can we buy a second home?

Lyndsay Pearson: Even if your Sims do not live permanently in these new destinations, they might have one or more properties. After purchasing a second home in Egypt or China, they will have the choice between staying in this home or go to the "base camp" local when they want to go in the country.

Unless something's changed since that interview (or I'm reading it wrong?), it seems like she's being pretty clear in saying that you can't live there permanently :(. It sounds similar to the way BV was set up in that regard, you can acquire a second home at the location which you can stay in instead of the Base Camp (or instead of a hotel in BV's case) while visiting the country.
  • CoffeeChick0CoffeeChick0 Posts: 2,294 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Feldynn wrote:
    I think I'm reading things similarly to CoffeeChick0 hehe, I pick up on the temporary phrases like "travel to", "return home", "while visiting" and so on :). But what really stuck out in my mind was this quote from a different interview with Lyndsay Pearson that'd I'd quoted earlier in the thread..

Taken from an interview by Jeuxvideo.com with Lyndsay Pearson (Click here for the whole interview)

Hum, I went to read that article you provided. Why does it name the EP Destination Adventure? I assume that article was translated from an original French article/interview. Perhaps that’s the reason why the different wording and phrases once it was translated into English. Or things could have been translated out of context or with errors. Just guessing based upon my own experience with living abroad and noticing translation errors.
    edited August 2009
    Feldynn wrote:

Hum, I went to read that article you provided. Why does it name the EP Destination Adventure? I assume that article was translated from an original French article/interview. Perhaps that’s the reason why the different wording and phrases once it was translated into English. Or things could have been translated out of context or with errors. Just guessing based upon my own experience with living abroad and noticing translation errors.

Good question, after a few quick searches I believe that "Destination Adventure" is the title of the French version, that may apply to elsewhere in Europe too, though I think the UK is running it as World Adventure. That interview was posted on August 3rd, the same date as the IGN one was.

From what little I remember of the French lessons I took in school (I'm originally from England and back then we were taught a modicum of French and German as standard where I went to school :) ) and from using an alternative translator program the phrase "Even if your Sims do not live permanently in these new destinations..." still comes back as they don't live there permanently.

This is the original French text of that part..
    Lyndsay Pearson : Même si vos Sims ne pourront pas vivre de façon permanente dans ces nouvelles destinations, ils pourront y posséder une ou plusieurs propriétés.
    I "think" it literally translates as "your sims will not be able to live in a permanent way in the new destinations", but like I say I don't remember much about the French classes I took way back when hehe. I guess the original interview could have been conducted in English then translated into French so it would depend on the quality of that translation but even so..

I did just notice too while rereading the IGN interview as part of a bigger question they asked "Or do they just visit these areas but they still live in Riverview or Sunset Valley? Or will you be able to temporarily stay in some kind of hotel?" which Lyndsay kinda dodged by talking about how you're not just "visiting" but interacting with the locals, though she did keep using phrases like "travel to" saying you can buy a house to stay in when you travel to the place, implying that it's only a temporary visit and you will still return home afterwards.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    edited August 2009
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Well if they are seeing a Vacation pack and have convinced themselves that this is just another of the same-o, same-o - then they are going to be sadly disappointed. I on the otherhand am ecstatic and can't wait for the adventures to begin. Can any of you tell I always had a secret desire to be an archeologists? Instead I just write about such things. Oh well, so goes life. hehehe

I admit to not being overly excited about what I thought was a vacation EP. But, as I've said before, I'll reserve my opinion until I read more about it. Once I read the ad on the home page and now this thread -- I am getting an idea it is so much more. I do hope we can "go with" our Sims as they explore the catecomb and such because I felt the same way as you about BV. Eventually, I just stopped sending my Sims on vacations altogether. Boring!

As for wanting to be an archeologist, I used to have the same desire! I'm also a writer and one of my current characters is a zeno-archeologist. :-P Myself, I turned to genealogy which is similar in nature. Lots of bookwork, tracing threads of stories. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • OpmystikOpmystik Posts: 1,720 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Feldynn wrote:
    Opmystik wrote:
    They already said that you can move there PERMANENTLY. There doesn't seem to be any hotels as they said you start at a BASE CAMP. Honestly I think it's both. You can vacation there once you earn the right too or you can move there. Either way I'm all game for it. I've always wanted to go to Egypt and China and I've been to France and loved it. Then again at age 14 foreign stuff is always great. lol. Either way I like culture and historical stuff. I will buy this ep cause I like the sound of it.

I also have never played Castaway so I'm not sure how that game went.

jeuxvideo.com: Can we buy a second home?

Lyndsay Pearson: Even if your Sims do not live permanently in these new destinations, they might have one or more properties. After purchasing a second home in Egypt or China, they will have the choice between staying in this home or go to the "base camp" local when they want to go in the country.

Taken from an interview by IGN with Lyndsay Pearson (click here for the full interview)
    Lyndsay Pearson: The Sims 3: World Adventures isn't really about "visiting" at all; that implies you are an observer of another culture or destination. In this expansion pack, you are directly participating in the places you are travelling to, and it's very different than just being there. Your sims will start out at a kind of "base camp" and will have to earn their way up to being able to have a local home to travel to. While camp will be where your sim starts, it's all about getting out into the world and encountering what experiences are to be had. Your sim might start walking downtown to meet some locals and be asked to help find a lost artifact that will kick them off on an adventure that might lead to a secret nook of the location or into a lost tomb

See the bold and underlined parts in each quote, unless I'm totally misunderstanding her Lyndsay is saying that you can (eventually) own a property at the new locations which you can stay in when you're there (instead of staying at "base camp") but you don't permanently live there.

Unless they've released new information since those two interviews that contradicts their previous statements that I haven't seen yet?

You know what I find the funniest about that post? It answers your own question about the living permanently part. It says EVEN IF YOUR SIMS DO NOT LIVE THERE PERMANENTLY. That implies that they CAN live there permanently that it is an option. I can't remember where I read that they could but the google button I'm sure works on everyone's computer.

Oh well we'll fine out probably later this month
  • OpmystikOpmystik Posts: 1,720 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Tenshi3 wrote:
    THIS IS NOT A VACATION PACK!

THIS

IS

SPARTA!

lmao I swear tenshi you always make me laugh at least once in every thread i see you come up in.
  • simsfanaholicsimsfanaholic Posts: 19 New Member
    edited August 2009
    well I guess Adventuring to another area could be considered a vacation!?! :D lol
    edited August 2009
    Opmystik wrote:
    You know what I find the funniest about that post? It answers your own question about the living permanently part. It says EVEN IF YOUR SIMS DO NOT LIVE THERE PERMANENTLY. That implies that they CAN live there permanently that it is an option. I can't remember where I read that they could but the google button I'm sure works on everyone's computer.

Oh well we'll fine out probably later this month

I guess it depends on how you take it, after reading all the stuff about "returning home", "bringing treasure home", "while visiting new locations" and such I read..

"Lyndsay Pearson: Even if your Sims do not live permanently in these new destinations, they might have one or more properties. After purchasing a second home in Egypt or China, they will have the choice between staying in this home or go to the "base camp" local when they want to go in the country."

.. to mean..

"They don't live there permanently but can own one or more properties in the new locations. You then have a choice to stay in the basecamp or your owned property while visiting that country".

The only thing my Google button could find was a list of "Confirmed features" on a third party, non-EA affiliated website. While it would be a really cool feature to permanently move to one of the new places, until it's officially confirmed in an EA statement it's not much more than a rumour :( (at least to me).
  • OGGIE243OGGIE243 Posts: 20 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Precisely what I've been trying to tell people who cannot seem to differate between a Vacation and an Exploration Adventure. And what's more - thank goodness it is NOT a Vacation.

I absolutely hated both Sims 1 and Sims 2's vacations - they were so boring. They might as well have stayed home. I just loved sitting there watching the tour guide while my Sims was supposedly out exploring the Bamboo Forest. But with this ep instead of being stuck in some silly hotel watching a tour guide we just go with our sims exploring the Bamboo forest for ourselves.

Let the ADVENTURES begin.....
    if is an adventure pack and explore the pyramids and that stuff it might still be rabbit hole (like the graveyard catacombs or workplaces) the will probably only give you options and you choose
    although it might be full control i sure hope so :XD:

thank god it is full control just seem a video on youtube
  • cth328cth328 Posts: 199 Member
    edited August 2009
    Ugh! I'm so confused! So we CAN or CANT go on a darn relaxing vacation?!
  • mhavril39mhavril39 Posts: 103 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Well in the quote they use the word "if," which would essentially imply that they have the ability to live there permanently, but you also have the option of buying another home.
  • Birkettboy55Birkettboy55 Posts: 363 New Member
    edited August 2009
    OGGIE243 wrote:
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Precisely what I've been trying to tell people who cannot seem to differate between a Vacation and an Exploration Adventure. And what's more - thank goodness it is NOT a Vacation.

I absolutely hated both Sims 1 and Sims 2's vacations - they were so boring. They might as well have stayed home. I just loved sitting there watching the tour guide while my Sims was supposedly out exploring the Bamboo Forest. But with this ep instead of being stuck in some silly hotel watching a tour guide we just go with our sims exploring the Bamboo forest for ourselves.

Let the ADVENTURES begin.....
    if is an adventure pack and explore the pyramids and that stuff it might still be rabbit hole (like the graveyard catacombs or workplaces) the will probably only give you options and you choose
    although it might be full control i sure hope so :XD:

thank god it is full control just seem a video on youtube

Link Please? :)
    edited August 2009
    mhavril39 wrote:
    Well in the quote they use the word "if," which would essentially imply that they have the ability to live there permanently, but you also have the option of buying another home.

As I'd mentioned in a different thread (click here for the complete post) the "if" in that quote from Lyndsay Pearson can be actually mean either depending on how you take the context of the whole sentence. The phrase she uses at the start, "Even if", can have an alternate meaning such as..

"While your sims do not live there permanently,"
    "Albeit your sims do not live there permanently,"
    "Despite the fact your sims do not live there permanently,"

From what I've read there is a lot of talk about visiting locations, bringing home treasures, inviting foreign friends you meet back to your home town, daring and exotic adventures being a natural complement to Sims normal lives back home.. a lot of little things that make the trips to these new destinations sound temporary. I've found no talk about moving permanently to the new destinations or creating sims that start out in the new places, nothing concrete that comments or official releases (yet) that clearly say anything permanently uprooting a sim / family and moving them to France, Egypt or China to live for good.

That's why I read that quote to mean that they cannot permanently live in these foreign countries but can at least own a property or two in which they can stay while they are visiting the place as an alternative to the Base Camp, just like in Bon Voyage you could buy a beach house or log cabin to stay in instead of booking a hotel room.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a cool feature if you could move and live permanently in the new places but I just don't see any evidence that you can and I don't want to get all hyped about something only to find it's actually not possible. In some ways I kinda hope I'm wrong now because then it will be a nice surprise to find that it really is an option, better that than to be disappointed if it's not there and I'd thought it was.