Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

>>>A HELP FOR PIXELATED SHADOWS!!!!!! (ATI CARDS)<<<

2...Next

Comments

• sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited April 2011
    BUMPING
  • caturaecaturae Posts: 2,244 Member
    edited April 2011
    Finally got around to taking the pictures

As you can see, the shadows created by sims are fine. This is the same for shadows on the actual sims too.
    Screenshot-59-5.jpg

But the shadows created by stairs and other furniture outside is blocky
    Screenshot-58-3.jpg

I would think it was my comp, but I didn't have this problem before installing OLS so I'm figuring it must be the new game causing it? I'm not sure, but thought I'd post it up anyway.
    edited April 2011
    ^ Yeah some of it will be like that, its better than what it was before ;)
  • xkaylanicolexxkaylanicolex Posts: 3,760 Member
    edited April 2011
    thaaaaaaaaannk you soooo much!
  • EngramEngram Posts: 79 Member
    edited May 2011
    For those experiencing issues with 3booter and FPSlimiter, try using the directions from the original thread here. It doesn't contain the stupid smileys this forum has insisted on inserting into the instructions here.

I have tested this in my game and it definitely works with 3booter and FPSlimiter if you follow the original instructions from the ATI forum and not the ones from here.
    All aboard the hype train!

Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    #EAGameChangers
    edited June 2011
    ^ Thanks for that, didn't know how to get rid of them.
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    edited September 2011
    I replaced the text and then tried to save the change but the access has dined. Is anyone else know how to figure this out?
  • dark5id3dark5id3 Posts: 2,476 Member
    edited September 2011
    Jeansoo wrote:
    I replaced the text and then tried to save the change but the access has dined. Is anyone else know how to figure this out?

You probably need to turn off UAC, then make your changes and save them and then turn UAC back on.
    2rxu2ph.png
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited September 2011
    Hi, is it possible to apply this fix on The Sims 3 Town Life Stuff? I tried to add the fix but my GraphicsRules.sgr is different from this post. This is what I saw on my graphics rules file.

elseif (match("${cardVendor}", "ATI"))
    if (match("${cardName}", "*HD 29?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 36?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 38?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 4??0*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 5??0*") or match("${cardName}", "*Radeon 5xxx*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 6??0*") or match("${cardName}", "*Processor*") or match("${cardName}", "*V77?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*V87?0*"))
    seti cardLevel $cardLevelUber
    seti isCardMatched true
    elseif (match("${cardName}", "*x18??*") or match("${cardName}", "*x19??*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 31?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*V3600*") or match("${cardName}", "*V37?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*V5600*") or match("${cardName}", "*V5700*") or match("${cardName}", "*V7200*") or match("${cardName}", "*V73?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*V7400*") or match("${cardName}", "*V7600*") or match("${cardName}", "*V86?0*"))
    seti cardLevel $cardLevelHigh
    seti isCardMatched true
    elseif (match("${cardName}", "*x14??*") or match("${cardName}", "*x850*") or match("${cardName}", "*x15??*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 34??*") or match("${cardName}", "*x16??*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 23?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 24?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 26?0*"))
    seti cardLevel $cardLevelMedium
    seti isCardMatched true
    elseif (match("${cardName}", "*9800*") or match("${cardName}", "*x600*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 32??*") or match("${cardName}", "*x7?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*x8?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireGL X2*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireGL X3*") or match("${cardName}", "*V3200*") or match("${cardName}", "*V33?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*V3400*") or match("${cardName}", "*V5000*") or match("${cardName}", "*V5100*") or match("${cardName}", "*V5200*") or match("${cardName}", "*V7100*"))
    seti cardLevel $cardLevelLowmedium
    seti isCardMatched true
    elseif (match("${cardName}", "*Rage*") or match("${cardName}", "*XPress*") or match("${cardName}", "*7?00*") or match("${cardName}", "*8?00*") or match("${cardName}", "*95?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*96?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*97?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*x200*") or match("${cardName}", "*x300*") or match("${cardName}", "*x5?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*x10?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*x11?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*x12?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*x13??*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireGL T2*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireGL Z1*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireGL X1*") or match("${cardName}", "*V3100*"))
    seti cardLevel $cardLevelLow
    seti isCardMatched true
    else
    seti isCardMatched false
    endif
    if (match("${cardName}", "*HD 2???*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 3???*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 4???*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 5???*") or match("${cardName}", "*Radeon 5xxx*") or match("${cardName}", "*Processor*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 6???*") or match("${cardName}", "*V37??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V38??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V48??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V57??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V58??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V77??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V78??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V87??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V88??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V98??*") or match("${cardName}", "*M57??*") or match("${cardName}", "*M58??*") or match("${cardName}", "*M77??*") or match("${cardName}", "*M78??*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireStream 91??*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireStream 92??*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireStream 93??*") or match("${cardName}", "*FirePro 24??*") or match("${cardName}", "*FirePro RG220*"))
    setProp $ConfigGroup RenderShadowMode 2
    else
    setProp $ConfigGroup RenderShadowMode 1
    endif
    setProp $ConfigGroup ShadowMapForceDF16Available 1
    if ($osMajorVersion >= 6 and versionLessThan("7.14.0010.0630", "${driverVersion}") and not versionLessThan("7.14.0010.0636", "${driverVersion}"))
    setProp $ConfigGroup ReportOldGraphicsDriver 1
    endif
    if ($disableMacAA)
    if (match("${cardName}", "*X16??*") or match("${cardName}", "*X19??*"))
    setProp $ConfigGroup DisallowEdgeSmoothing 1
    endif
    endif
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • wickedchris247wickedchris247 Posts: 604
    edited April 2012
    i tried this, but it had no effect on my shadows :( the neck and face area aren't pixelated, they just have shadows under the eyes and chin, which constantly flicker about madly, even when there not moving. in weird places, making the sims look ugly.

I have an ATI radeon hd 5700 series, fully updated

I'd also like to know if installing new expansions will fix it if anyone's had any similar experinces, e.g an update.

Screenshot-84.jpg

Screenshot-67.jpg
  • PulversoppaPulversoppa Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited June 2012
    I've now tried my best to try this. I have gigabyte radeon hd7970 (this card http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010621917/gigabyte-radeon-hd7970-oc-3gb-pci-e-dvi-dp/#intcmp=aredir ) but maybe it didn't work, or I did some mistake.

I couldn't open the .sgr file so I changed it to .txt and then opened/changed the text, tried to save as .sgr but it didn't accept being saved like that, so I removed the "original" and pasted a copy of the now modified txt-file into the specified folder, and then tried to rename/make it by adding .sgr, but it still says "text document" in the type column in the folder. Should it do that?

If not, which I guess is the issue now, how do I turn the file into an sgr one? Or how/with what do I open the original sgr file to change text in that?

And to avoid smilies there's a little checkbox right below here when one type that says "disable smilies in this message" that could be handy if one wouldn't want them. I though hit "quote" on the first post to grab the actual text only.

So please, help me with a foolproof sgr file tutorial, thanks! =) Would be sooooo glad if the horrible shadows could be gone so I didn't have to still think about swapping card.

Until some miraculously kind person could help me I'll put back the original file and suffer from the pixly shadows. lol
    "They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
    edited June 2012
    Hi, if you download the file of this website, it is already changed

http://engram-au.livejournal.com/123197.html

just replace the GraphicsRules files in the Program files> electronic arts,> sims 3 (latest expansion) > Game > Bin, with the one from the download.
    edited June 2012
    Awesome! Thank you. Will try it when I wake up.
    "They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
    edited June 2012
    =( It didn't make any change at all. It is only supposed to be put in the last installed thing's folder, right? Not in all of them?
    edited June 2012
    Well the game that you use the disc for will be the folder it goes in.
  • PyxiisPyxiis Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    I have a 7870 and have the same problem with that fix not working. If you only have up to Pets, Pulversoppa, you're probably not going to be able to fix the shadows until a new EP comes out, because the HD 7000 series of cards wasn't released when Pets was, meaning that they're technically unsupported by Pets as of now. I think Showtime may have the same problem, although it was released in March around the time the 7000 series came out.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong in my assumptions. (Oh how I'd love to be wrong about this, those disgusting shadows are ruining my gaming experience :()
  • Checksky3Checksky3 Posts: 906 Member
    edited July 2012
    i tried this, but it had no effect on my shadows :( the neck and face area aren't pixelated, they just have shadows under the eyes and chin, which constantly flicker about madly, even when there not moving. in weird places, making the sims look ugly.

I have an ATI radeon hd 5700 series, fully updated

I'd also like to know if installing new expansions will fix it if anyone's had any similar experinces, e.g an update.

Screenshot-84.jpg

Screenshot-67.jpg

I also have this exact same issue with my hd 4870 videos cards, I tried changing the graphics rules but no change, This must of happened after i updated from 1.29 to 1.36 because before i did they were fine so somewhere in between the shadows changed. Does anyone know if this issue is fixed yet again? Is there a place where we can contact AMD and tell them we need a new fix?
    Origin ID: CuddlesKatie
  • dorenwithcatsdorenwithcats Posts: 47
    edited July 2012
    I found an instruction how to change the graphicRules.sgr file for Sims 2 to recognise new cards and the difference was so great that I had a look at the file for Sims 3 again.

First, there are graphicRules.sgr files in the bin folder of the base game and of the latest EP (Showtime in my case) and they both date February 2012 in my game. I noticed that it is the .exe files which are in subfolders in the base game folder which get updated with new patches and so there is a good chance that the fix above is simply not working because the game now reads the graphicRules.sgr from the base game folder and not the EP folder.

Secondly, I have a Radeon 7870, therefore some of the changes I made may only apply if you have a card from this series. I had a problem with very blocky and pixelated shadows, so I have not paid much attention to the flickering shadows yet.

ETA: Added before and after pictures (picture quality downsized thanks to picturetrail). The shadows still move around but in a less obstrusive way - I don't seem to get them in the face/under the eyes anymore:

403507860.jpg

403507858.jpg

Anyway, these changes caused a great improvement for me:

elseif (match("${cardVendor}", "ATI"))
    if (match("${cardName}", "*HD 29?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 36?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 38?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 4??0*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 5??0*") or match("${cardName}", "*Radeon 5xxx*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 6??0*") or match("${cardName}", "*Processor*") or match("${cardName}", "*V77?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*V87?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 78?0*")) – added.
    seti isCardMatched true
    elseif (match("${cardName}", "*x18??*") or match("${cardName}", "*x19??*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 31?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*V3600*") or match("${cardName}", "*V37?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*V5600*") or match("${cardName}", "*V5700*") or match("${cardName}", "*V7200*") or match("${cardName}", "*V73?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*V7400*") or match("${cardName}", "*V7600*") or match("${cardName}", "*V86?0*"))
    seti cardLevel $cardLevelHigh
    seti isCardMatched true
    elseif (match("${cardName}", "*x14??*") or match("${cardName}", "*x850*") or match("${cardName}", "*x15??*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 34??*") or match("${cardName}", "*x16??*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 23?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 24?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 26?0*"))
    seti cardLevel $cardLevelMedium
    seti isCardMatched true
    elseif (match("${cardName}", "*9800*") or match("${cardName}", "*x600*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 32??*") or match("${cardName}", "*x7?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*x8?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireGL X2*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireGL X3*") or match("${cardName}", "*V3200*") or match("${cardName}", "*V33?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*V3400*") or match("${cardName}", "*V5000*") or match("${cardName}", "*V5100*") or match("${cardName}", "*V5200*") or match("${cardName}", "*V7100*"))
    seti cardLevel $cardLevelLowmedium
    seti isCardMatched true
    elseif (match("${cardName}", "*Rage*") or match("${cardName}", "*XPress*")or match("${cardName}", "*7?00*") – deleted -or match("${cardName}", "*8?00*") or match("${cardName}", "*95?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*96?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*97?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*x200*") or match("${cardName}", "*x300*") or match("${cardName}", "*x5?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*x10?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*x11?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*x12?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*x13??*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireGL T2*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireGL Z1*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireGL X1*") or match("${cardName}", "*V3100*"))
    seti cardLevel $cardLevelLow
    seti isCardMatched true
    else
    seti isCardMatched false
    endif
    if (match("${cardName}", "*HD 2???*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 3???*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 4???*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 5???*") or match("${cardName}", "*Radeon 5xxx*") or match("${cardName}", "*Processor*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 6???*") or match("${cardName}", "*V37??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V38??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V48??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V57??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V58??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V77??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V78??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V87??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V88??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V98??*") or match("${cardName}", "*M57??*") or match("${cardName}", "*M58??*") or match("${cardName}", "*M77??*") or match("${cardName}", "*M78??*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireStream 91??*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireStream 92??*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireStream 93??*") or match("${cardName}", "*FirePro 24??*") or match("${cardName}", "*FirePro RG220*"))
    setProp $ConfigGroup RenderShadowMode 2
    else
    setProp $ConfigGroup RenderShadowMode 1 2 (changed from 1 to 2)
    endif
    setProp $ConfigGroup ShadowMapForceDF16Available 1 overwritten with setProp $ConfigGroup ShadowMapAllowNullColor 1 (the same as for NVidia cards)

if ($osMajorVersion >= 6 and versionLessThan("7.14.0010.0630", "${driverVersion}") and not versionLessThan("7.14.0010.0636", "${driverVersion}"))
    setProp $ConfigGroup ReportOldGraphicsDriver 1
    endif
    if ($disableMacAA)
    if (match("${cardName}", "*X16??*") or match("${cardName}", "*X19??*"))
    setProp $ConfigGroup DisallowEdgeSmoothing 1
    endif
    endif
    if ( match("${cardName}", "*HD 5???*") or match("${cardName}", "*Radeon 5xxx*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 6???*") or match("${cardName}", "*V57??*") or match("${cardName}", "*V58??*") )
    setProp $ConfigGroup DisallowL16RTT 1

At least the shadows are smooth again and not blocky anymore. I also changed the graphics card.sgr to include my card.

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • louir58louir58 Posts: 24 New Member
    sorry for bumping an old thread like that but the solution isnt working anymore i have an amd radeon r2 integreated graphics
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    louir58 wrote: »
    sorry for bumping an old thread like that but the solution isnt working anymore i have an amd radeon r2 integreated graphics
    This solution was for what were new (at the time six or seven years ago) dedicated Radeon graphics cards in the four digit series as at first they weren't being recognized properly by the game at all. We now know there are better ways to force such recognition when necessary.

But this solution would never have applied to an R2 integrated chip. An R2 I expect would barely be able to carry the base game only, and only on the lowest of graphics settings. If that, even. How old is this computer and can we get the rest of the specs on it? It's possible there is no solution to improve its performance, but some of that will depend on your computer's processor, how much RAM it has, maybe a few other variables but I'm afraid for TS3 anyway this doesn't sound very promising.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net