Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims LAN style?

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

If you are hooked up to the internet, you could join a neighbourhood (server), create your sim(s) there, buy a house there. The house you buy will be made by other players and put up for sale by them. This brings me to the next point - your sims can earn money the ways we already have, except the professions (firefighter, stylist, PI, daycare etc.) are used by other online players, bearing in mind you all live in the same neighbourhood. For example, you could join the...daycare profession, set it up as usual, but get a sign for your house so other online players can see your daycare. Instead of automatic toddlers (NPC's) coming and giving you money, other players can actually take their kids there and pay them. So, basically, the professions would be real professions involving all online players! Wouldnt that be fun!
Also, house builder could be a new profession, where you can actually sell the house you made on the neighbourhood/server. If one fills up, go on to the next one!
I did however think of a few problems for this:

*Time. I suppose that time would run over the game as normal, and if you log back on at whatever time, you join what time it is there, rather than where you left off. May cause a few problems.
* Joining a server. when your sim joins a neighbourhood they stay there, so you could only have 1 family going at a time. They stay in that online neighbourhood unless you move them to a new one.
* Professions. I LOVE the idea of professions actually being used by other online families BUT it may get overrun with firefighters or whatever. There would have to be a limit to the amount of types of prefessions, eg. only 4 daycares per neighbourhood (depending on neighbourhood size).

Thats all i can think of right now. Obviously this wouldnt be used for sims 4 as its a bit late, but maybe 5 or 6 it would be something to think about.

Comments

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,280 Member
    edited July 2012
    A BIG FAT NO. Please search to forums for other threads asking for LAN/MMO type of games.
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited July 2012
    They should add a forum about MMO type discussions. There seems to be a growing fascination. I for one am against this idea.
    edited July 2012
    Do people realize that if the sims went in that direction that there is the possibitily of them charging a month fee to play a game like that? Most of the games that charge a fee is $15.00 per month. You go and pay like $50.00 for the game and then turn around a pay $15.00 per month to maintain game play. I do play WoW and that is what they do. Not everyone is willing to fork over more money ever month to play an online/lan game.
  • EvezanEvezan Posts: 773
    edited July 2012
    lisasc360 wrote:
    Do people realize that if the sims went in that direction that there is the possibitily of them charging a month fee to play a game like that? Most of the games that charge a fee is $15.00 per month. You go and pay like $50.00 for the game and then turn around a pay $15.00 per month to maintain game play. I do play WoW and that is what they do. Not everyone is willing to fork over more money ever month to play an online/lan game.

At this point in that particular gaming market it may be more reasonable to assume it would be free to play. Giving you very limited items and CAS choices by default and charging you real money for new stuff. I would not like that but would give it a try if it cost me nothing to start.
  • ValandisValandis Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited July 2012
    That isn't really LAN... LAN is "Local Area Network". "Local Area". "Local". It's an offline computer-to-computer system.
  • Kail16Kail16 Posts: 3,051 Member
    edited July 2012
    Valandis wrote:
    That isn't really LAN... LAN is "Local Area Network". "Local Area". "Local". It's an offline computer-to-computer system.

Indeed and NAH

the Sims should not become some gross MMO thing like freakin' second life and all that garbage :roll:
    edited July 2012
    Valandis wrote:

Still no, I DO NOT WANT anyone in my game with me. It is my game alone and will remain that way. GO PLAY SIMS SOCIAL.
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited July 2012
    Three Words: Sims Free Play

I currently play it on my Toshiba Thrive tablet which is an Android device. Yes, it's a free download but like Evezan says, you get limited free items, then you have to pay for the premium stuff. Furthermore, it takes place in real time, so that if an action says 30 minutes, it literally takes 30 minutes for the action to complete.

The other player element to it involves Facebook. With the newest update, you get a party boat and the chance to build a nightclub. The idea behind the party boat is that you invite your friends to join you (via Facebook) and they become your neighbors. You never actually see them, they just enable you to collect gifts from the party boat onced a day. And you get to build the nightclub for free as long as you have 3 neigbhors.

The downside to it is that you can't play it unless you hae a wireless internet connection. So its playability is very limited. But that's as close as it gets thus far when it comes to online play.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • RockoutDarciRockoutDarci Posts: 3,092 Member
    edited July 2012
    Kail16 wrote:
    Valandis wrote:

Indeed and NAH

the Sims should not become some gross MMO thing like freakin' second life and all that garbage :roll:

I agree. I do not think that EA should make The Sims into some crazy MMORPG. It would ruin the game. EA just needs to figure out some way that allows simmers to invite their friends and families into their games to play. Some way that is entirely optional and per world or town.
    Love Like A Snail: An Inter.s.e.x. Story.
    thefoxsims.weebly.com/
    3825869_orig.png
    edited July 2012
    GO PLAY THE SIMS SOCIAL/SIMCITY SOCIAL AND SECOND LIFE. The sims is and should always be a singleplayer game. It should never be made into a lan/multiplayer/mmorpg kind of game. It would never work like that.
  • GrantiliciousGrantilicious Posts: 46
    edited July 2012
    ok first off the sims social on fb sucks monkey balls i hate bothering my friends for **** that i should just be able to buy myself...the person that created this post is very smart...and you should be able to turn online on or off depending whether u want to play with urself or other people
  • tashie_baby11tashie_baby11 Posts: 2,284 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Nooooooo!
  • abigfan819abigfan819 Posts: 862 New Member
    edited July 2012
    NO! Going mmo/lan will take away a lot of gameplay. I won't even go into the rest of thee reasons.
  • Lizzy126Lizzy126 Posts: 92
    edited July 2012
    I only like the idea of having the ability to visit your friends households, but you don't per se interact with your friends. Your sim could be their friend or something. Thus it's just a way to play with friends sims and still be single player. ^^ A mmo sims isn't safe. Adults and teens alike play sims, and peodphiles would know that stuff. MMO involves chat. As I said on the Sims 4 Online thread. The ********* community is large, and the internet is pretty anonymous, and not anonymous.
    edited July 2012
    Lizzy126 wrote:
    I only like the idea of having the ability to visit your friends households, but you don't per se interact with your friends. Your sim could be their friend or something. Thus it's just a way to play with friends sims and still be single player. ^^ A mmo sims isn't safe. Adults and teens alike play sims, and peodphiles would know that stuff. MMO involves chat. As I said on the Sims 4 Online thread. The ********* community is large, and the internet is pretty anonymous, and not anonymous.

You can already do that in the sims social on fb, you know go to their house and interact with their character evern though they are not online. I do believe this is the reason that EA made the sims social is for the ones who want an online game. I do believe that is as close to an online game that anyone is gonna to get.
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited July 2012
    Kail16 wrote:
    Valandis wrote:

Indeed and NAH

*FACEPALM*
    LAN can never be MMO because massive multiplayer is NOT POSSIBLE in a LOCAL AREA NETWORK!
    LAN means two or several more connected computers INSIDE YOUR HOME!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    This space is for rent.
  • SalantiSalanti Posts: 327 New Member
    edited July 2012
    I would be for it.
  • Lizzy126Lizzy126 Posts: 92
    edited July 2012
    lisasc360 wrote:
    Lizzy126 wrote:

You can already do that in the sims social on fb, you know go to their house and interact with their character evern though they are not online. I do believe this is the reason that EA made the sims social is for the ones who want an online game. I do believe that is as close to an online game that anyone is gonna to get.

Oh no I really don't like FB it's too personal. They track where you live and post that with the status updates. I don't use it for one. And two it's not cool. I started with sims 2 and loved it. No real commitment. Just a single player game me and my friends could design houses and sims with. :3
  • Gatorade3Gatorade3 Posts: 4,093 Member
    edited July 2012
    ABSOLUTELY NO.
  • CoreyCanadianCoreyCanadian Posts: 5,701 Member
    edited July 2012
    The sims has been a single player game since it was made (except for Sims online but that was not the actual game itself) the game is so speacial because of that and because you can make the rules and dictate what goes on in your game, and someone coming in my game and poking around my neighbourhood is something I would never use and I would stop buying the games and stay with Sims 3 because I do not want or need people coming in my game.
    edited July 2012
    The sims has been a single player game since it was made (except for Sims online but that was not the actual game itself) the game is so speacial because of that and because you can make the rules and dictate what goes on in your game, and someone coming in my game and poking around my neighbourhood is something I would never use and I would stop buying the games and stay with Sims 3 because I do not want or need people coming in my game.

Well put Corey... :thumbup:
    edited July 2012
    Actually this is not true. When The Sims first came in 2000 it was only 3 years after it came to the console Playstation 2 which offered multiplayer co-op. I am very sure the other Sims like 2 and 3 also offers this on the consoles too. :?
    edited July 2012
    Valandis wrote:
    Actually this is not true. When The Sims first came in 2000 it was only 3 years after it came to the console Playstation 2 which offered multiplayer co-op. I am very sure the other Sims like 2 and 3 also offers this on the consoles too. :?

We're not talking about tv games, we're about pc games.
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited July 2012
    Having a local area network would be very limiting. If you're thinking about inviting your friends who also play the Sims 3 into your network, that is going to run you into some serious money.

Plus, if EA ever does this, it won't be cheap...not at all. I'm thinking $50-60 or more. Somehow, I don't think the parents will go for it.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
    edited July 2012
    lisasc360 wrote:
    Valandis wrote:

We're not talking about tv games, we're about pc games.

It's still The Sims though! :-o