Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do I deal with floating trees/shrubbery.

I've had this problem since I started using CAW, but I have never figured out how to fix it.
When you change terrain height, you'll need to fix things now floating/buried,OK.
Most of the time I can't even grab/move these objects.
The right tool is on, objects are un-clustered,& right layer is active. Nothing :(

Then I got to layer to find floating objects(for some reason certain object groups seem to auto cluster, so now I have only "game object #" to find the required objects)

Today I clicked on over 200 unnamed items in a sub-folder to find the 3rd from last I wanted. I was temped to delete the sub-folder & start again. :wink:

So after many hour fixing random floating objects, I export :)
As I'm setting up to take pics I notice there are still quiet a few floating plants :shock:
As I look down the valley all I can see is several floating monstrosities(marsh grass/bulrushes)I didn't catch them in EIG even.

I already use individual layers for Trees,shrubbery & rocks. With separate sub-layers for each bounding box.
There must be an easier way.

I know! Don't make any changes to terrain elevation after you've put anything on it. :roll:
Did I miss a "snap to elevation" button in the CAW toolbar? :?

Any tips/advice on avoiding/fixing floating objects would be greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:
stellatorontosims.tumblr.com

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi :mrgreen:

The easiest way I've found to fix a lot of floating trees/plants-

is to cluster them,
    turn on the Grid,
    select the Move World Object arrow,
    *Go to the one of the floating trees and click on it (this will show the whole cluster and one tree will have the grab lines),
    go to that one tree and slowly move it and then move it back.

This will make all the trees in that cluster (game object #) settle to the terrain.

Instead of having to do one tree at a time you just do one cluster at a time. Which is easier because you can cover the whole section with a few trees. :D

If I didn't explain it well enough, just let me know. :D
    Hope that helps.
  • StellaTorontoStellaToronto Posts: 2,123 Member
    edited July 2012
    Thank you Rflong7 for your response :D
    I knew there must be an easier way.
    So if I get this right....
    While objects are still clustered grab the positioning lines on box & the objects that are off terrain will snap to the appropriate level.
    I don't have to actually align cluster? If the grid is on it will happen automatically?
    How are clusters determined. By layer, object type, or area/bounding box?
    If I can get this straight it would save me many hours of OCD torture :wink:
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, if you click on one of the trees that is floating and it's part of a cluster- then you have to pull the view back and find the main tree. That's the one that will move the cluster. :)

They're grouped by type, layer, and chunk box.
    I only use one* tree/plant layer but it's just easier keep together and to count them for me.

Yes, if the grid is on the whole cluster will snap to grid- in their position.

Usually you have several of the same type together in box that you've trying to fix so it's much quicker.

• StellaTorontoStellaToronto Posts: 2,123 Member
    edited July 2012
    All is well in CAW world :mrgreen:
    I won't need all the sub layers now :wink:
    Thank you :D

I'd taken a picture of offending shrubbery to illustrate my plight but Rflong7, you solve my problem before it was needed.
    Still posting it :wink:
    screenshot_original.jpg"width=500"
    edited July 2012
    Over water I would just leave the Grid off and grab the cluster with the Move World Object and lower the whole thing that way. If the whole cluster is over the water.
    With the grid on it will sink to the bottom of the lake/pond/swamp. :)