Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Be able to EARN simpoints, who agrees?

13...Next

Comments

• PsychoChick966PsychoChick966 Posts: 1,792 Member
    edited June 2012
    I respectfully, disagree with the idea of us earning SimPoints. I think that our "reward" is supposed to be the fun, peace, or whatever playing The Sims 3, brings you. I think there could be innumerable problems associated with the idea of us earning points, and that's aside of me just disagreeing with the principle of the thing.

Sure, not everyone can afford to buy SimPoints, or alot of them, but that's life. I really don't want that to be read in a mean way...it's just matter-of-fact is all. I can't afford lots of things I'd like to do or to have, but I don't feel I should be entitled to them just because of that. I really, really don't mean this in an offensive way, okay....I know tone can be hard to get right over the 'net, so please keep this in mind while reading. :-)

Also, I think that people who can, will just constantly upload things when they want to buy SimPoints, and it won't be for the joy of having made the things and sharing them, like it is now.....which again, I think is our "reward" now. I can't imagine what that would do as far as traffic and getting on the site and having it work is concerned...and I think there would be loads of half-a$$ed things left and right, made just to hit enter, and "earn" some points. Also, one could argue, that some people have more time to spend creating things, and so then others will complain that they are at work or in school and that's not fair...and still others will argue that they spent a week creating a lot, with so much detail, and yet they "earned" the same amount of points as someone who spent 15 minutes tops, on theirs.

Bottom line is, I think there will always be things that we want and can't have.....but that doesn't mean, in this case, that EA should give us things because we use their products. They DID give us something. They gave us what we paid them for. I think us getting things on sale, and the occasional free sets and things, is something they don't have to do...but like most companies, they try to give a little something extra back to their customers...through sales and special offerings. On this site, there are a lot of other ways to attain some of the things we want too....this is THE most generous community of people ever. They offer us things all the time, through contests, and lotteries, and camaraderie and friendship.

[/olor]
  • Darksim8Darksim8 Posts: 784 New Member
    edited June 2012
    EDIT: LIAM!!!!! :evil:
  • Darksim8Darksim8 Posts: 784 New Member
    edited June 2012
    I respectfully, disagree with the idea of us earning SimPoints. I think that our "reward" is supposed to be the fun, peace, or whatever playing The Sims 3, brings you. I think there could be innumerable problems associated with the idea of us earning points, and that's aside of me just disagreeing with the principle of the thing.

Sure, not everyone can afford to buy SimPoints, or alot of them, but that's life. I really don't want that to be read in a mean way...it's just matter-of-fact is all. I can't afford lots of things I'd like to do or to have, but I don't feel I should be entitled to them just because of that. I really, really don't mean this in an offensive way, okay....I know tone can be hard to get right over the 'net, so please keep this in mind while reading. :-)

Don't have be be sorry about it, it's the truth. There are so many things out there I want *cough* Camaro *cough* and I can't get it. I want to live in Australia but I can't get there until I get money and work hard to get there. No one is entitled to get what I want, they have to earn it. So if someone wants simpoints but cant get them. Get a job and make money. Sorry, but it's the truth and just the way things are today. :?

I agree with those above. I think it's a bad idea too. We already have contests for those who want to earn SP and store items. The exchange idea is terrible, it's already cluttered as is.
  • PsychoChick966PsychoChick966 Posts: 1,792 Member
    edited June 2012
    Darksim8 wrote:

Don't have be be sorry about it, it's the truth. There are so many things out there I want *cough* Camaro *cough* and I can't get it. I want to live in Australia but I can't get there until I get money and work hard to get there. No one is entitled to get what I want, they have to earn it. So if someone wants simpoints but cant get them. Get a job and make money. Sorry, but it's the truth and just the way things are today. :?

I agree with those above. I think it's a bad idea too. We already have contests for those who want to earn SP and store items. The exchange idea is terrible, it's already cluttered as is.

Thanks. :-)

Heehee...."*cough* Camaro"....okay, in that instance...I'd like to have a *cough* Corvette. ;-) Lol

Edit....a '67 or '68 Camaro wouldn't be half-bad either. ;-)

• SoretooliSoretooli Posts: 233 New Member
    edited June 2012
    I definitely agree with you OP. :)
  • murfeelmurfeel Posts: 7,584 Member
    edited June 2012
    I disagree with the Get a Job aspect, for the sake of the kids, elders, and disabled who play this game in their free time who are either on an allowance/fixed income/don't get an allowance. Plus there are people here who work and are on a tight budget/afected by the horrible economy, and college students as well.
    Joolster wrote:
    Here's some constructive criticism, please do not accuse me of being rude.
    TaylorPapa wrote:
    -Uploading an item to the exchange, be rewarded say 10 er 25 simpoints.

No. People will be spamflooding Exchange with half-hearted or completely useless creations.

True. :(
    Joolster wrote:
    TaylorPapa wrote:
    -Every so many downloads on an item we create be rewarded so many simpoints.

Again, no. Things such as clothes recolours get about 10x more downloads than things like lots. Then uploads with non default EA display pictures get about 10x more downloads, but not everyone has the ability, time or skills to make custom pictures for their downloads. Doesn't mean they've put less effort into their creations than someone who Photoshops their sims. CC-full sims normally get downloaded way more than CC-free sims. And once again, people will be flooding Exchange with useless uploads just for the points.
    I noticed this myself, how people who make their own preview pictures instead of the EA auto-generated ones always get far more downloads, even when the creations, to be frank, aren't even all that amazing once in-game as they appear in the Photoshopped images--especially with sims. :x That really irritates me, how many sims I used to download in the past that I ended up throwing away. :lol:
    Joolster wrote:
    TaylorPapa wrote:
    -Every so many recommendations we recieve, be rewarded so many simpoints.

And again, no. Just like with points 1 and 2, people will be uploading a load of crap to get rec's from their friends. Also people with 500 friends get way more rec's than people with 5 friends since more people see their uploads.

Good point. :(
    But I think this might be the best out of the bunch, since friends of friends of friends of friends of mutual friends now have access to Uploaded updates spam on the My Pages. :roll:
    Joolster wrote:
    TaylorPapa wrote:
    There should also be an archive created. After an item being on the website for a year or so it should become free or 50% off. If it is no longer frequently downloaded, it should be made free, if its an item that is downloaded in the middle of frequent and barely make it 50% off.

They can barely get the DD to semi-work (we still get duplicates daily even after all the overhauls), I doubt there will be an archive.

:lol: lmao :lol:
    But I DO agree that EA should start hacking the prices on the older stuff/stuff that still hasn't been updated/fixed/stuff without fixed Hidden Stencils, and other things whose value has been pointed out to be far less than advertised/demanded by EA. If the Store were a physical shop we could walk into and buy tangible goods from, they'd be sued by now, and they know it, for selling defective merchandise.
    Joolster wrote:
    P.S. The only realistic suggestion I can think of, which wouldn't allow any kind of cheating, unlike with your first 3 points, would be awarding simpoints to featured creators. BUT only if EA actually makes a legitimate working Feature system because let's face it, they just generate random # and feature that creation most the time nowadays.
    :shock: OHHH~!!! So that's how Featured works! :shock: I always wondered who chooses/decides who's features, like there was a secret ballot people were voting on or the simgurus were picking favorites or something. :lol:
    Joolster wrote:
    I would suggest receiving simpoints on our Birthdays but it's a bad idea since you don't need to register a game to have an account on the site. So people would be making new account with their Birthday set for tomorrow and sending their main accounts gifts using those points.
    I've been here practically 3 years and still haven't even received my free Birthay set from the Store--let alone any points. :roll:
    Joolster wrote:
    Simpoints for memories: No. Uploading memories is even easier than uploading hair recolours. Play a sim for half an hour and you'll conjure 300 memories from all the trivial things they do. Imagine everyone uploading their 500 memories for 200 simpoints, the whole website will die in a cesspool of lag.
    Very true. I LOVED the Memories rewards achievements stuff EA released (I finally got my hot tub with it--YAY! :mrgreen: ) but it's just waaay too easy to make Memories--so easy that I had to get a mod to stop the game from making them! :lol:

I think the nicest thing to do would be to gift simpoints for Recommendations of 500 and higher, and downloads of maybe 1000 and higher--since people tend to dl more than they rec. Yes, I think the more 'popular' simmers with hundreds of friends would have a better advantage/chance of getting rewards, but the new my page system also stilted a lot of former Friend-making that went on as my page spam grew out of control. (It still IS out of control, I feel.)

But really, EA?
    Just bring back the 1000SP with registering EP/SPs, keep giving out DDs, and make more simpoint bundle discounts (the last one we got was months ago :( ), and I think people would be far happier than they are now. :thumbup:
  • HaidenHaiden Posts: 3,841 Member
    edited June 2012
    I dont think we should earn simpoints from like uploading stuff to the exchange etc.....thats just not viable for a company...for example:

A person just buys the base game and uploads a ton of stuff the exchange...and the gets small amounts of sp.....if they spam enough..they would earn enough sp to purchase full sets from the store.....thus EA loses because the person just bought one or two Ts3 games, and gets other content for nothing, just by spaming.

But I do agree that there should be some sort of loyality system, where as, for each exp or stuff pack you purchase and register...you get a small kick back in sp.

Likewise with the store: If you purchase a whole compilation set(instead of just parts or bits and pieces) you would get a small kick back aswell.

Alot of the time I feel Ea is robbing us blind, the exp packs are bare bones with regaurds to content, beacuse they have basically just taken content that should be within that particular exp pack and stuck it in the store for purchase. Thus YOU* buy the exp/stuff pack at full price.....then still have to pay for premium content and such from the store, AGAIN paying top price to "enrich your game" :?

Its daylight robbery lol...ask me...I own almost the whole store in one way or the other.
  • simsacesimsace Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited June 2012
    i know microsoft does XBLA rewards and bing rewards and i get free microsoft points from both but they WORK and earn microsoft money for a reason.

with bing microsoft makes ad money on all the visits to the site if they have an add in the background or something. and with XBLA rewards you get rewards for spening microsoft points of using services like netflix, and they also have monthly surveys that you can do.

you cant expect EA to just hand out simpoints, what we do online is creative but not worth money, unless you count the machinima show strangerhood :) if we are to get simpoints there should be things like online surveys we can take for points and maby even product testing and writing feedback, i know the create a pet demo could have worked for something like that.
  • JoolsterJoolster Posts: 6,417 Member
    edited June 2012
    murfeel wrote:
    :shock: OHHH~!!! So that's how Featured works! :shock: I always wondered who chooses/decides who's features, like there was a secret ballot people were voting on or the simgurus were picking favorites or something. :lol:

Don't take my word for it, it's my own theory, but it's definitely not base-less. It's based on some recent features I've seen of certain hair/clothes recolours that were partially recoloured or had same colours made slightly darker/lighter. :?
  • shelwassshelwass Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited June 2012
    I completely agree. It may seem counterintuitive, but it might have the same positive effect on sales that giving away simpoints in the earlier expansions did. It A) gets people hooked on the store and B) might motivate people to shell out some extra money if they have some simpoints but not enough--and the difference is more affordable.

At the same time, however, I do agree with those who said that the exchange idea may not be viable as it might promote spamming and clog the system. Maybe there's some other way that they could come up with to 'earn' Simpoints? Even if it's just in small amounts?
  • HessethRanHessethRan Posts: 1,522 Member
    edited June 2012
    stormwench wrote:
    Why ask EA to pay you for recoloring their meshes as 'creations' when anyone can recolor meshes? People would be slapping any color they could think of on an object and uploading like crazy to earn a simpoint, it certainly would not improve the creations. And then there would be a zillion posts of 'go down load this and that and make me simpoints'.

Some store items only sell because people recolor them and post pictures taken from different angles. The default presentation tends to be poor/vague and the color presets uninteresting. It's easy to gloss over these meshes until you see a good recoloring.

I'm sure that nice lots also sell furniture and decor, although those tend to have a nicer default presentation.

Why do you think EA has the Exchange set up in the first place? It's there because folks who are good at building and recoloring make good unpaid salespeople. Without the Exchange, both EP/SP and store content would get less visibility and there would be far less created "need."

Obviously, they are under no obligation to give anything away. But remember the unpaid part every time you upload something. If you're one of those people who consistently gets thousands of downloads, I can guarantee you've convinced a good number of people to buy a certain EP/SP/store set.
    My Origin ID: RoseElsing
  • murfeelmurfeel Posts: 7,584 Member
    edited June 2012
    Haiden wrote:
    Alot of the time I feel Ea is robbing us blind, the exp packs are bare bones with regaurds to content, beacuse they have basically just taken content that should be within that particular exp pack and stuck it in the store for purchase. Thus YOU* buy the exp/stuff pack at full price.....then still have to pay for premium content and such from the store, AGAIN paying top price to "enrich your game" :?

Its daylight robbery lol...ask me...I own almost the whole store in one way or the other.

So true.
    HessethRan wrote:
    Why do you think EA has the Exchange set up in the first place? It's there because folks who are good at building and recoloring make good unpaid salespeople. Without the Exchange, both EP/SP and store content would get less visibility and there would be far less created "need."

I know--we're walking billboards for EA and they know it. :lol:
    Joolster wrote:
    murfeel wrote:

Don't take my word for it, it's my own theory, but it's definitely not base-less. It's based on some recent features I've seen of certain hair/clothes recolours that were partially recoloured or had same colours made slightly darker/lighter. :?
    Oh, I get you. :XD: :lol:
  • PsychoMasterXPsychoMasterX Posts: 2,553 New Member
    edited June 2012
    the difference with free to play mmo is all the store item are gamble and hope you get the item you want
  • ireneruthyablonireneruthyablon Posts: 555 Member
    edited June 2012
    Just to 'add my 2 cents' to the discussion I can't see EA rewarding their customers for using their product. I do not think that once that game is bought they care how often the game is played, or if it is even used.

There is one option to get the free points. Refer a friend. If you help them sell more games they will reward you with Simpoints.

Edit: After writing this I came to the conclusion that the people who want to earn free points are believe that are using the barter system.

That system works on the basis of someone gives another person something that they need in exchange for something they need. EA doesn't need the exchange, it's there for the players. If you were to expect to get anything from posting something on the exchange it would make sense that it should come from another player not the company who created the game since they have nothing to gain from your upload.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • AnnitaEatsYaAnnitaEatsYa Posts: 1,583 Member
    edited June 2012
    Just to 'add my 2 cents' to the discussion I can't see EA rewarding their customers for using their product. I do not think that once that game is bought they care how often the game is played, or if it is even used.

Ding ding, we have a winner!

'Hey community, this next EP is full of great new content! LOL, jk. But don't worry - we MADE all the content, and if you want everything it'll only cost you a third of a month's rent!'