Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Just a few ideas!

Comments

• SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited May 2012
    I am not sure if it has been suggested before (too lazy to read the whole post :P), but I hope EA adds an interaction to close and open the windows, and of course it's only for some windows not all of them.

If we have weather and are able to open and close the windows, it will have some effects as well, like "fresh air" moodlet when windows open in the summer or spring, "chill" moodlet if it is opened whole day in the winter, or "stuffy" /"hot" moodlet if the window is not opened at all.

And probably EA can add air-con and heater as well, so if you have air-con you don't need to open and close the windows all the time.

But all of these will only apply if we have weather/season in the game :lol:
  • SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    edited May 2012
    I like the newer suggestions!
    I was actually trying to add more to the thread but my browser crashed on me twice!

I think instead of "internal" windows it could be "interior" for the ones like in kitchens to open up the room. Also, right after that in the list you spelled sidfe instead of side. Just thought you might want to know to fix that when you update the thread.

The ceiling spotlights that I had called "pod lights" are called "recessed lighting" because they recess in to the ceiling.

I forgot to mention that it would be cool make more use of space by having space underneath stairs more accessible and usable. There can be closets under stairs (sort of like Harry Potter's bedroom), bathrooms under stairs, doghouses under stairs.
    I had pictures in this thread: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/379658.page
    tumblr_lm1w2z23mT1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg
    [img]http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm1wpwYcQv1qhfuqwo1_400.jpg "width=250"[/img][img]http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm1w0oeJGm1qhfuqwo1_400.jpg "width=250"[/img]

Lilyofthevalley over at TSR made a nice doghouse that goes under stairs.
    tumblr_lz09n0ZGlf1qku51so1_500.jpg

The ability to build walls under stairs but not get the message that it can't intersect an object would be nice--- I don't want to have the wall cut through but I want it to realize the wall needs to go at a certain height to fit under the stairs (sort of how it does the cutout for the walls along the side of the stairs that fit underneath. This way we could get the effect of the wall-mounted toilet in the picture above.

In a previous post I mentioned different edges for counter tops. Here is a picture that shows some options.
    tumblr_lopsxgIdkG1qku51so1_500.jpg

I forgot to mention that soffits can be used to cover up the vents and stuff that are in apartment buildings.

It would be nice to have seamless glass 3/4 walls (or fences) that can be used to construct a custom-sized glassed in shower. And maybe something with a 1/4 wall height part with glass on top as well. Seats that can fit in showers would also be cool. Of course a matching glass door would be nice too. The texture could be clear, frosted, or colored/tinted.
    glass_shower_enclosure1.jpg
    244890_1244498147971.jpg

Smaller counters that do not stick out as far so as to fit better in smaller spaces like bathrooms (and that would also link up to normal sized counters to create more interesting shapes would be nice.
    This isn't the best example, but see how the one part juts out? Just pretend that the part sticking out is the normal sized counter and that the slimmer part is not as deep as the current counters.
    tumblr_m3yllvylVt1qku51so1_500.jpg

Morphead at Modthesims made these narrow counters (although I think they might be a bit too narrow)
    [img]http://thumbs2.modthesims.info/img/2/0/9/3/8/0/8/MTS_morphead-1222856-4.jpg "width=500"[/img]

How about split-level counter tops similar to the bars but you can customize the size and shape somewhat.
    tumblr_m3ykq49THu1qku51so1_500.jpg

They could also be curved (perhaps the curve could be somewhat defined the way the curved pool detail is set).
    [img][/img]

While I'm on that topic, if they had islands that you could adjust they could look something like this.
    tumblr_m3ylabN2ho1qku51so1_500.jpg

Sims that are the suspicious type and want to store their treasures away to hide them from burglars and prying eyes can hide things in secret compartment steps. This can be a place to store things to remove them from inventory. It would work for storytelling if you have a Sim stash a journal or gem or something in here and have a screenshot or movie of the Sim retrieving it.
    tumblr_m3yl43yJKp1qku51so1_500.jpg

When I originally typed this I had suggestions for changes for the Create-A-Sim. I only barely touched on some of the ideas from an old thread I started on an overhaul idea for CAS.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/391590.page
    I can't remember whether or not I updated it to say that it would be nice to do facial and body overlays similar to the way things work with pets to add more details to the appearance of the Sims. There are custom skintones that offer different shading around the noses and lips and such to give different effects but you are stuck with whichever skin you get unless you download or create a bunch of different ones. My suggestion is to have something similar to makeup but have it be genetic and be able to be applied permanently like freckles and body hair. There could be various shadings for nose bridges and buttons as well as nostrils (the opacity could be adjusted like makeup). There could be things to create different types of eyelids, eye bags, dark eye surround, philtrum definition, more defined lip shape/texture/color without it having to be makeup that is removed-- it would be factored in to genetics. For the body, there could be different overlays for the shape of busts, definition of the ribcage, abs, and belly button. Let's not forget the musculature on the back as well. Sliders for hips, waist, and butt would be good.

A numeric indicator for sliders so we know what the exact setting is for sharing with others or repeated use would be great. I mentioned that with more details in my thread here: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/230127.page

I would also like the ability to lock certain features that you like so you can still use the Randomize option and let it randomly change certain things. If you find something you like but still want to try another random setting for another feature, you can lock something (the nose for instance) and randomize again. IIRC, games like LOTRO and DDO already have this locking option.

For build mode, I would like for them to bring back crystal doorknobs like the “Old Yankee 4 Score” door of sims 2. I don't have a picture of that one, but I have a screenshot of a door I made for Sims 2 with the crystal knob, shape of the wooden curve door, & bullseye rosette frame. Sadly I never got to upload it and it was lost when my hard drive was stolen (and the backup drive died).
    [img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmbd7dbtiM1qku51so1_500.jpg "width=200"[/img]

I believe the game already has trash chutes for apartment buildings, but that would be nice for multi-level houses as well. It would be nice to have more of a variety of doors for the trash chutes.

Additionally I would love to see laundry chutes for apartments and homes. There could be a chute in a hallway or bedroom above the laundry room on the bottom floor/basement. At the bottom there could be a large laundry bin to catch the clothes and when it was full the Sims would need to go down and wash the stuff in it. Perhaps Sims could still have laundry hampers but instead of going all the way down to the washer they could take their laundry out of their hampers when the hamper fills up and put it int the chute so it would go into the big laundry bin. It would be similar to taking small trashcans and emptying them to go in to a large trash bin out front. Then a maid or designated Sim could do all of the laundry and dry it.
    Laundry chutes could be wall mounted or floor mounted:
    tumblr_m3yqluUpGV1qku51so1_400.jpgtumblr_m3yqgofLCQ1qku51so1_250.jpg

I have more suggestions on laundry with a bunch of pictures here: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/226129.page

For Sims that want to wash their laundry but still not have to use a machine, they could get washboards and buckets or use large utility sinks. For outdoors Sims they could wash their clothes in a pond.
    washboard_F4802358-E761-75CF-4A516187E9473C31.gif

Additionally ringer washers of various time periods would be cool.

I don't know if it would be difficult to incorporate, but dumbwaiters would be cool as well. I remember being fascinated by them when I went to Monticello. I love the idea of being able to put something in the dumbwaiter to pass to somewhere upstairs or downstairs. If they are large enough, children and pets can play in them.
    tumblr_m3yqs7gL6D1qku51so1_500.jpg

For build mode I would like the option to dig out around basements so that they can be partially above ground. We could sort of do this in Sims 2. I actually lived in a house on a hill in Virginia that appeared to be two levels from the front and three levels from the back. The back had a sliding glass door and stairs up to a deck leading to a sliding glass door near the kitchen. I believe the stairs to the basement were underneath the stairs to the second floor, but I'm not certain. Even the ability to just carve out an entrance to a basement would be nice. Something like this:
    tumblr_lm1ud4UK441qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

I actually have more pictures and suggestions for basement stuff here: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/379651.page

It would be really great to be able to have basements that come up above the ground as far as foundations and have windows.
    The windows could be on the ground level like so (note the window well to keep water from getting in):
    tumblr_m3yoq2PDeS1qku51so1_500.jpg

Slightly above ground level:
    tumblr_m3yov5G8bF1qku51so1_500.jpg

And dug out with a window well to keep dirt and water out.
    tumblr_m3yoonDE6V1qku51so1_500.jpg

For roofs I've noticed that I have a hard time getting the slope to go in the direction I want unless I make the entire shape a specific size. I wanted to make my roof narrower and have it slope downward toward the south but it kept making it slope to the east instead. I kept trying over and over and found that I had to make it slightly wider than desired to get the right slope direction.

With that said, I would like to be able to adjust the direction of the slope of roofs. Additionally, I would like the ability to expand or contract a roof segment the way we can pull a wall out or in. Sometimes my mouse gives me trouble when I'm trying to create a certain size and it doesn't go where I want it to and I end up with something too large or too small. I would like to be able to adjust that the way we can do with walls. I don't like how it currently just deletes the whole roof when I just want to delete a small part of it.

I wish we could apply whatever patterns we wanted to the roofs as well.

Curved elevators would be nice as well.
    tumblr_m3yquf86Y31qku51so1_400.jpg

I would also like to have the ability to have stairs that are flush against a door so we don't need a step out from them. My current house and most of the houses I've lived in have had a step immediately after going out the front door. My basement had a staircase that started just after the door's threshold.

I forgot to add that I would like to have ground level walls that can attach to foundation and link up with walls on foundation. We currently can't have an attached garage on a house with foundation. I have seen a lot of houses where the garage is lower than the rest of the house. There are ways to do this with building cheats but it distorts the wallpaper. It would be nice to have it not stretch or distort the wallpaper when things link up. You know how the small bit of wall under a roof continues the pattern up? How about doing something similar with walls where ground level to foundation raised walls meet. The portion over the garage need not even be as high. It can just have roof put over it. If there is a room above, we should have the option to choose whether we want the garage ceiling to be higher to match the floor height of the rooms above the rooms on foundation or have a drop. I personally think it would be better to raise the ceiling height.

Raising the ceiling height of basements (and effectively raising the elevation of the above ground portions of the house-- similar to foundation) would be nice. So I guess I'm asking for somewhat adjustable wall height.

Sorry for all of the links to my own threads. It's not that I'm trying to bump them- I just figured its easier than just retyping everything there and using all of the same pictures from there because it would take up too much space.

TLDR? Here's a summary:

Build Mode:
    *Adjust Roof slope direction via slider or grab and rotate option. (Will only be applied to selected portion of roof).
    *Resize roof in similar way to moving walls in or out
    *CAStable roof patterns rather than just limited amount
    *Glass/crystal doorknobs like "Old Yankee 4-score Door" in Sims 2
    *Usable space under stairs-- doors, drawers, pet houses, small bathrooms, closets, tiny bedrooms ala Harry Potter, etc.
    *Doors that fit on the walls of stairs (in various sizes).
    *Hidden storage in stair steps (openable like hinged chests in tombs).
    *Soffits to go over vent shafts
    *Glass 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 walls/barriers/fences for bathrooms/modern buildings with matching glass doors. Glazed, frosted, tinted, & mirrored.
    *Curved/rounded elevators & glass elevators (and a combination of both)
    *Dug out/exposed Basement walls with external access doors
    *Basement windows (either slightly above ground for basements that are around foundation height, at ground level with window wells) or below ground with dug out area and window well.
    *Stairs flush against doors rather than one tile away.
    *Walls that automatically cutout/resize themselves to fit under stairs when built under them.
    *Walls that can touch foundation and link to walls on foundation.
    *Adjustable height walls so they can be the same height as a wall on foundation to prevent skewing of wall patterns.
    *Raised ceiling for basements and ground level floors to match raised foundation height.
    *An alternative to foundation that gives a raised ceiling to basements.

Buy Mode
    *Dumbwaiters
    *Laundry chutes (for floor and wall)
    *Resizable/Adjustible kitchen islands that can be straight or curved. Perhaps curve and size can be adjusted in a similar manner to curved pool sections.
    *Split-level counters with higher level for a bar height eating/drinking area.
    *Counters of varying depth from wall- smaller/slimmer options for tighter spaces such as bathrooms
    *Washboards for doing laundry in sinks, tubs, buckets, barrles, ponds, etc.
    *ringer washers for laundry

Create-A-Sim
    *Waist, hip, & butt size/shape sliders
    *Layerable Skin overlays to give more detail to faces and bodies. Similar to pet patterns but with specific details such as nose bridge shading, philtrum, eye bags, etc.
    *Numeric labels for sliders to be able to remember and re-use certain settings.
    *Lock feature setting so certain features will not be changed if the Randomize button is used.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • NeashaleighNeashaleigh Posts: 760 Member
    edited May 2012
    Wow lol.... so many ideas! I wish I'd reserved a couple of posts on the first page, but I never thought in a million years I'd get so many ideas from people :D

Thanks again! Tomorrow I'll fix the mistakes and add all your ideas (and the 2 people above you as well) :)
    ~o Sapphire o~
    Gallery
  • imahippyyoimahippyyo Posts: 1,146 New Member
    edited May 2012
    I hate to be the guy that doesn't post pics :lol: but we need over-stove microwaves and retaining walls that aren't foundations
    edited May 2012
    imahippyyo wrote:
    I hate to be the guy that doesn't post pics :lol: but we need over-stove microwaves and retaining walls that aren't foundations

I got you covered on the picture for that!
    tumblr_m40cul9S1o1qku51so1_400.jpg

The only problem I thought that we might have with that is that it would be difficult for children to use them to make themselves something to eat. They would probably need a stepladder to reach it.

By retaining walls, do you mean to go around the upper part of a basement? Or do you mean like actual retaining walls like they use in multilevel landscaping where you want the walls up to prevent stuff from eroding?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited May 2012
    I just found an old post of mine that had more pictures of hanging microwaves as well as pictures of some of the other stuff I mentioned.

I forgot to mention a mortar and pestle in lieu of a blender.
    tumblr_lntunoP9Ku1qhfuqwo1_250.jpg

Not trying to bump my thread-- I don't expect people to reply to it-- but it has nice pictures in case anyone wants to take a look:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/403167.page
  • 62sweet62sweet Posts: 153
    edited May 2012
    I really wish that you could choose how your Sim reacts to an interaction, so that that part of the game was more detailed. Like if someone flirted with your Sim you could choose if your Sim flirted back, politely asked them to stop, or even slapped them. There definitely needs to be more interactions for kids. Generations added a bunch, but a few more would be nice(especially for toddlers).
    I hope that makes sense. :wink:
    edited May 2012
    Great ideas. I haven't had the time lately to put your ideas on the first post, but I will.

I'm hoping I don't run out of room on the first post; is there a character limit? Anyway, if that happens, I'll remake this thread with a few spare posts to fit everything ;)
    ~o Sapphire o~
    Gallery
    edited May 2012
    I'm guessing there must be a character limit if people make reserved posts.

Btw, on the window with the bar, I'm not sure people will know for sure that it means a bar surface on which people can eat or serve drinks. Some people might think of a vertical bar like prison bars or something.

Sorry if I sound picky (also, bumping thread).
    edited May 2012
    Suceress wrote:

Btw, on the window with the bar, I'm not sure people will know for sure that it means a bar surface on which people can eat or serve drinks. Some people might think of a vertical bar like prison bars or something.

Oh, I immediately thought of a bar for drinking and eating hehe. It's a great idea to have a window over it...
    ~o Sapphire o~
    Gallery
    edited May 2012
    Suceress wrote:

Oh, I immediately thought of a bar for drinking and eating hehe. It's a great idea to have a window over it...

I guess I always think metal bars or of the joke "two men walked into a bar-- the third one ducked".

I suppose there could be a glassless window with no framing that is basically just a cutout in the wall as well as one with a large sill that serves as a bar for serving beverages and snacks.
    edited June 2012
    Big Badda Bump..

.... wait... what?
    ~o Sapphire o~
    Gallery
    edited June 2012
    Big Badda Bump..

.... wait... what?

LOL! Well played.
    edited June 2012
    Speed bump. :D
    edited July 2012
    I haven't posted here for ages. Glad it's still going :)

Also glad to see that EA have brought in thatched roofs! Well done EA!
    ~o Sapphire o~
    Gallery
  • WinterCloudsWinterClouds Posts: 1,966 Member
    edited July 2012
    I like these ideas :)
  • MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited July 2012
    Wow!! So many wonderful ideas! I was going to suggest adding an interaction to be able to open and close windows and curtains-I noticed someone suggested the window part. I love all the ideas.
    edited July 2012
    Bump
    ~o Sapphire o~
    Gallery
    edited July 2012
    Added a couple more things to the Miscellaneous section
    ~o Sapphire o~
    Gallery
    edited August 2012
    Bumping through the Seasons spam.

It's nice to see that EA actually listen to the players. It gives me hope that some of the ideas here will be implemented :)
    ~o Sapphire o~
    Gallery
  • jmprKblejmprKble Posts: 7
    edited August 2012
    I noticed that the ability to alternate makeup styles with outfits is already available. you treat it the same as you do the hair. just thought i'd throw that out there in case someone else hasn't...
  • jmprKblejmprKble Posts: 7
    edited August 2012
    62sweet wrote:
    I really wish that you could choose how your Sim reacts to an interaction, so that that part of the game was more detailed. Like if someone flirted with your Sim you could choose if your Sim flirted back, politely asked them to stop, or even slapped them. There definitely needs to be more interactions for kids. Generations added a bunch, but a few more would be nice(especially for toddlers).
    I hope that makes sense. :wink:

I agree, i think that would make the game so much more interesting.
    edited August 2012
    I've been away for a week or so, and busy for a while, so haven't checked this thread in a while. Bumping back to the start.
    ~o Sapphire o~
    Gallery
    edited August 2012
    I added some detailed ideas about doors and gates for the game in another thread. It is very picture heavy so I thought I would just mention it here:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/577706.page

Things that I suggested that I don't recall mentioning before:

Build
    1. Collapsible doors (like the kind on the old style elevators they had in Sims 2). They are metal and look like they have latticework.
    2. Storm doors/screen doors that fit in front of an exterior door sort of like curtains but they would open in the opposite direction of the existing door.
    3. Sliding security doors. They can be steel or the wrought iron style or they can collapse in like the aforementioned elevator door. These could be used without or in conjunction with regular doors.
    4. Accordion doors- they collapse but take up more space than the metal bar ones because they form the shape of an accordion (if that makes sense)
    tumblr_m96q4pV4Ii1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg
    5. Bifold doors- these doors fold in and slide to the side. They can be plain, beveled, louvered, have panels, have glass windows, have mirrors, etc.

That's all I can think of right now.
    edited August 2012
    Ooh nice ideas :D
    ~o Sapphire o~
    Gallery