Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Handicaped Sims?

Comments

• 7Deadly5ins7Deadly5ins Posts: 524 Member
    edited July 2009
    Stop twisting people's words. No one said they wanted disabled people put away where no one could see them. Sims =/= the world.
  • zeppelin123zeppelin123 Posts: 864 Member
    edited July 2009
    I would really like to see sims with disabilities in the game. As I mentioned before, I have Asperger Syndrome. I also plan a future career as a researcher in educational psychology/special education. If there were sims with various disablities, I would fully include them in the community and enjoy playing them and their families.

I'd love to create a sim as a special education teacher working with her students. I would love to recreate the gentle, supportive, environment of the autism classroom I volunteered in for three years. It was a place of respect and celebrating the smallest of accomplishments. I saw each of these students (some of them very severly affected) as unique individuals with likes and dislikes. I enjoyed my time with every one of the students. Each of those students also made a difference in my life.

In my future career, I want to work with children with autism and children with profound cognitive disabilities with the goal of giving these individuals more control over their environment and improving their quality of life. Many of these children would be seen as "vegetables" by much of the population. However, I see them as unique individuals who have the potential to live a happy life in an adapted environment even if their biggest accomplishment may be smiling or turning their head towards someone.

Sometimes enacting things (even negative things such as bullying) helps me work out some of my own feelings. I am very into using imagination as a way of organizing my thoughts. I also do a lot of creative writing with characters with disabilities as main characters. I believe there is a need for more literature like that.

However, after reading some of these posts, I also see the potential for problems of adding disabliities to the game such as stereotypical portrayl and bringing back bad memories or flashbacks for people.

For instance, it really bothered me when someone mentioned adding smoking to the game because it gave me flashbacks of watching my grandmother die of cancer. I gave a somewhat aggressive response to that thread even though I normally try to stay polite in my online discussions.

Basically, I would definately play this feature if it was added, but I also see good reasons for not adding it.

I think it would be neat if EA created downloadable disability traits where the proceeds would go to specific disability organizations.
  • LoopLoop Posts: 21 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Asperger, I was almost diagnosed with it back when I had state run Health insurance but they did not want to pay for the treatment of it (really mild case as I understand tho) so the Doctor said I was fine, Gotta love that Socialized medicine.

• Vietgirl_xoxoVietgirl_xoxo Posts: 7,142 Member
    edited July 2009
    Why is this thread still here?? lmao
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    edited July 2009
    Loop wrote:
    real_cutie wrote:
    ugh this thread just shouldnt have been made :?

No the thread is fine, as is the discussion about the topic, because if you cannot discuss something in an even tempered and adult manner then you become something bad.

I have learned something from the thread.
    GoddessNoire is one of the most hateful trolls I have seen in a thread I have made since the days of a certain fellow on the Mac Addict forums, she really should GB2/b/.

second, from the opinions I have seen here, the able bodied are rather nasty folks when it comes to their treatment of the handicaped. they want to put them in little places away from other folk so they donot have to see them.
    I will tell you this there are mental disabilites in the game. I have tried to make my family and I cannot make my uncle who had 1 leg (lost it after coming home from WWII) nor can I make my uncle who had one arm (long story involving an aligator and a shotgun)
    the reasons I cannot make them, because able bodied folk want this game to be Ables Only, sort of like aparthied for disabilites rather than skin color.

I'm able bodied since my "problems" are inside me where you can't see them and I want disabilities in-game.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • SimtarutaruSimtarutaru Posts: 70 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Loop wrote:
    Why are there no Handicaped Sims?
    I am curious about the lac of Height control, but
    I think a blind or deaf sim, or a sim in a wheelchair could be a interesting challenge to play.
    this could be a good thing and even a way to introduce Dogs in the game as Seeing eye dogs.

Seems like wishing for handicapped Sims is more demented than wishing for teenaged pregnancy or drug use. I thought this was supposed to be a happy, sterile game where nothing bad ever happens.

Oh wait. I forgot about the institutionalized kidnapping of your Sim Children by social services. Yes, government kidnapping of your children is endorsed if you don't play the game within the expectations of the programmers, like forcing your children to go to school even if you'd rather have them at home where you can watch them. Who wants to stare at an empty house all day? I want my sims at home doing things where I can watch them, not at work, at school, leaving me a SimGod with nothing to play with.

Simtarutaru
  • theRealDeal09theRealDeal09 Posts: 4,549 Member
    edited July 2009
    cupcake wrote:
    I would personally not like it if this sort of thing was included in the game. This game is basically used to get away from reality in creating your personal own world. If you want uptmost realism then turn your computer off and go outside.

Yes, I agree. Simmers want the game to be just like the real world! I mean come on! The real world is right outside your doorstep. And the game has only been out about a month or so...
  • Panther00567Panther00567 Posts: 2,704 New Member
    edited July 2009
    *imagines this*
    :O
    you dont wanna know what just popped into my head :]
    rofl ohh the cruelty.
    *whispers* i just imagined an evil sim pushing the guy in the wheel chair into an ocean.

OMG YOU ARE SO EVIL! :shock: :cry:

I admit I kinda laughed though, lmao wow that is so mean xD
  • ClaudiaVanTrampClaudiaVanTramp Posts: 506 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I mean, what do you expect? Do you want Johnny Sim to be carted off to war the instant he ages up to a young adult, then return days later missing an arm with burn marks on his face? Is that realistic enough for you?

There are a lot of negative things that happen in real life. I don't understand why people feel that the game would be "better" if it included such things.

If you want to see people suffer from mental disorders or physical disabilities, go find it in the real world.

• SimtarutaruSimtarutaru Posts: 70 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I mean, what do you expect? Do you want Johnny Sim to be carted off to war the instant he ages up to a young adult, then return days later missing an arm with burn marks on his face? Is that realistic enough for you?

There are a lot of negative things that happen in real life. I don't understand why people feel that the game would be "better" if it included such things.

If you want to see people suffer from mental disorders or physical disabilities, go find it in the real world.

The real world doesn't have stove fires every other night at dinner. The real world doesn't include dogs that chew a couch to splinters and piles of dust. Yet these things are in the game. I'd rather deal with someone in a wheelchair in the game than have to replace stoves or watch parts of the house burn down. Repeatedly replacing things or watching sims throw trash on the floor instead of in the trash can are just annoyances.
  • ClaudiaVanTrampClaudiaVanTramp Posts: 506 New Member
    edited July 2009
    The real world doesn't have stove fires every other night at dinner. The real world doesn't include dogs that chew a couch to splinters and piles of dust. Yet these things are in the game. I'd rather deal with someone in a wheelchair in the game than have to replace stoves or watch parts of the house burn down. Repeatedly replacing things or watching sims throw trash on the floor instead of in the trash can are just annoyances.

What you're saying has nothing to do with my comment. My point was that the game doesn't need to be a perfect parallel to real life... it's just a parody, and as such it exaggerates. Hence the stove fires and couch-eating dogs.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    edited July 2009

that mental disorders really offended me since I have a mental problem. But I would like disabilities in game.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • aquahorse11aquahorse11 Posts: 1,221 New Member
    edited August 2009
    That would be pretty cool. I don't think I would make one but if they had that option it would be pretty cool if a few elderly townies had wheelchairs or something. It would probably make it more realistic.
  • aquahorse11aquahorse11 Posts: 1,221 New Member
    edited August 2009

I think it would be neat if EA created downloadable disability traits where the proceeds would go to specific disability organizations.

I agree with u on that. That would be a good idea. Im not sure if I would use it but I would download it just because it goes to charity. Nice idea!
  • DaynaJaydeDaynaJayde Posts: 247 New Member
    edited August 2009
    OH GOD, NOT THIS THREAD AGAIN.
  • Arturius27Arturius27 Posts: 1,541 New Member
    edited August 2009
    How did u find this?!

O.O

n.ecro-fest
    edited August 2009
    Arturius27 wrote:
    How did u find this?!

O.O

n.ecro-fest
    Me?
    Someone bumped it up to the second page.
    edited August 2009
    Why would you bump this?!

AHHHHHH.
  • SweetestDrugSweetestDrug Posts: 5,406 New Member
    edited August 2009
    That would be pretty cool. I don't think I would make one but if they had that option it would be pretty cool if a few elderly townies had wheelchairs or something. It would probably make it more realistic.
    Why would you do this
    edited August 2009
    Spammityspamspam.
    edited August 2009
    Pokemon.
  • crazybadazycrazybadazy Posts: 1,144 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I think that it would make the game a little more realistic. But I also think that the game was supposed to be a little unrealistic, that is what makes it so much fun.
    edited August 2009
    I like to ote, ote, ote, opples and banonos.
    /Sings
  • sarahkate_1206sarahkate_1206 Posts: 28 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I would really like to see sims with disabilities in the game. As I mentioned before, I have Asperger Syndrome. I also plan a future career as a researcher in educational psychology/special education. If there were sims with various disablities, I would fully include them in the community and enjoy playing them and their families.

I'd love to create a sim as a special education teacher working with her students. I would love to recreate the gentle, supportive, environment of the autism classroom I volunteered in for three years. It was a place of respect and celebrating the smallest of accomplishments. I saw each of these students (some of them very severly affected) as unique individuals with likes and dislikes. I enjoyed my time with every one of the students. Each of those students also made a difference in my life.

In my future career, I want to work with children with autism and children with profound cognitive disabilities with the goal of giving these individuals more control over their environment and improving their quality of life. Many of these children would be seen as "vegetables" by much of the population. However, I see them as unique individuals who have the potential to live a happy life in an adapted environment even if their biggest accomplishment may be smiling or turning their head towards someone.

Sometimes enacting things (even negative things such as bullying) helps me work out some of my own feelings. I am very into using imagination as a way of organizing my thoughts. I also do a lot of creative writing with characters with disabilities as main characters. I believe there is a need for more literature like that.

However, after reading some of these posts, I also see the potential for problems of adding disabliities to the game such as stereotypical portrayl and bringing back bad memories or flashbacks for people.

For instance, it really bothered me when someone mentioned adding smoking to the game because it gave me flashbacks of watching my grandmother die of cancer. I gave a somewhat aggressive response to that thread even though I normally try to stay polite in my online discussions.

Basically, I would definately play this feature if it was added, but I also see good reasons for not adding it.

THAT is a great idea. I think that would satisfy everyone to be honest. If you didn't like it, don't download it to put in your game... if you want it, then by golly you can download it. You're a thinker... lol.
    Yay someone with a real solution and constructive comment. :D
  • cupcakecupcake Posts: 5,097 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Wow this is old.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top