Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sexism toward pregnant sims

Comments

• SnackySnacky Posts: 607 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Snacky wrote:
    Tenshi3 wrote:
    You sound like one of those feminists who thinks that the ***** should be removed 8)

Feminists DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST MEN! We just think that it is unfair to have to be a stereotypical housewife. Why can't men stay at home? huh?

Plus, having to stay at home is so annoying in a female hier legacy!

YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY IDEA HOW IMPORTANT THE ROLE OF HOMEMAKER IS! It is more important than your little Easy-bake head will ever understand. A Woman's role in a family is a Mother and Housewife, and if You don't like it, you don't gave to get married! You have the pot-endused 1970's idea That women don't have to have responsibilities. Go to Japan and you'll see how important Homemaker is!

Oh, so it's wrong to have any ambition? Well I am 12 OK? I want to be a surgeon, but you sexists obviously think there is something wrong with that?
    btw, don't act like i'm stupid because I am 12, because I have just got a scholarship, so i'm NOT STUPID! or easy bake or pot induced......

Exactly. You're 12, and I'm 18. You're a child, and I'm an adult. So somehow I'm a sexist because I feel that a woman's role is as a mother. Call me crazy, but I think Evolution decided that. If you want to call someone sexist, call the Universe sexist because that's how it is. I won't bring deities into it for Forum Policy, but theirs an argument against everything you said. Women can be surgeons, but when you have young children, you need to be there for them unless you can afford a babysitter, and if you get a babysitter, than you better get someone you know and can trust.

Come to think of it, You can hire baby-sitters in the Sims 3. ZOMFWTFDIVIDEBYZERO! But IRL, you cannot work at a certain point in pregnancy, nor can you work for a period afterwords. Giving birth takes a lot of energy that I salute women for, and would never do as a male if the roles were switched. You are too young to understand any of it.

"I am 12 years old, and what is this?" -Popular /b/tard quote
  • br00kbr00k Posts: 8 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Snacky wrote:
    Exactly. You're 12, and I'm 18. You're a child, and I'm an adult.

Well, you're really not acting like one.

Calling people names? Picking on a twelve year old? Believing that the way you live your life is the only "right" way to live?

VERY mature.

edited August 2009
    br00k wrote:
    Snacky wrote:

Well, you're really not acting like one.

Calling people names? Picking on a twelve year old? Believing that the way you live your life is the only "right" way to live?

VERY mature.

I'm sorry, but being nice to feminists is not in my policy. On top of that, you have nothing to argue against me, and I don't see how me pointing out that a 12 year old is a child is somehow calling names, rather, it's stating a fact.
  • DaehloenaDaehloena Posts: 166 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Snacky wrote:
    I'm sorry, but being nice to feminists is not in my policy.

What kind? All? Post-mod? Critical race? Liberal? Anti? Hairy? Other?

But believing a woman's role should be as a mother isn't necessarily a non-feminist point of view...it's not popular if she should only be a mother, but that's personal choice. A woman doesn't have to be a feminist to disagree with that job requirement.

But TS3 isn't sexist. It's a game. And there are ways around it.
  • snaggesnagge Posts: 158 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Snacky wrote:
    I'm sorry, but being nice to feminists is not in my policy

OH MY GOD!!!
    reading this gets me so upset "being nice to feminists is not part of my policy"
    ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ? do you even know what feminism is? Being 18 isn't being an adult, being 18 is still being very young and obviously you are younger than you can ever imagine.

You have no idea of what it's like being a woman in a mans world, trying to fight so you would at least get the same pay for the same job. Feminism means that we want equality between men and women. Both men and women can be feminists. Being a feminist doesn't mean you think women are better than men or that you hate all men. It simply stands for equal rights for everyone no matter what sex you have.

If you, in your narrow, ugly, horrible little world can't see this I hope you stay at home with your Sims 3 game and never leave the house. Because you seem to be an awful person and I wouldn't want my worst enemy to befriend an a.๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ like you.

PRO EQUALITY FOR ALL! NO MATTER WHAT GENDER, COLOUR OR SEXUAL ORIENTATION YOU HAVE (and if you think that there's no reason to be nice to me because I think this i hope you go to hell and burn there forever)
    edited August 2009
    [quote=Snacky
    YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY IDEA HOW IMPORTANT THE ROLE OF HOMEMAKER IS! It is more important than your little Easy-bake head will ever understand. A Woman's role in a family is a Mother and Housewife, and if You don't like it, you don't gave to get married! You have the pot-endused 1970's idea That women don't have to have responsibilities. Go to Japan and you'll see how important Homemaker is![/quote]

Actually.... You were calling names when you said "little Easy-bake head".
  • debra1970pdebra1970p Posts: 4,652 Member
    edited August 2009
    Snacky wrote:

Barely an adult. You're not old enough to have much life experience, so I'm not sure where all your anger comes from.
  • AngieraeAngierae Posts: 149 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Most women take off 4-6 weeks after their baby is born -per doctor's orders-. Your body has to recover from giving birth.

Source: I actually -had- a baby, 14 years ago. Trust me, for at least the first few weeks you are not going to be up to going back to work after giving birth.
  • VernalVernal Posts: 17 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I don't think it's sexist to lose a few days work to having a baby, and I'm a feminist.

I understand your frustration though, and it would be great if EA could develop some more stay-at-home dad options for the game.

My sims are usually pretty goal oriented, so the time off with baby-having is a welcome break to play the game a little differently... go for a swim, get a massage, eat lunch out, build up a hobby skill. I sort of like the diversion.

• mynameisjimbobmynameisjimbob Posts: 911 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Snacky wrote:
    Snacky wrote:
    Tenshi3 wrote:
    You sound like one of those feminists who thinks that the ***** should be removed 8)

Feminists DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST MEN! We just think that it is unfair to have to be a stereotypical housewife. Why can't men stay at home? huh?

Plus, having to stay at home is so annoying in a female hier legacy!

YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY IDEA HOW IMPORTANT THE ROLE OF HOMEMAKER IS! It is more important than your little Easy-bake head will ever understand. A Woman's role in a family is a Mother and Housewife, and if You don't like it, you don't gave to get married! You have the pot-endused 1970's idea That women don't have to have responsibilities. Go to Japan and you'll see how important Homemaker is!

Oh, so it's wrong to have any ambition? Well I am 12 OK? I want to be a surgeon, but you sexists obviously think there is something wrong with that?
    btw, don't act like i'm stupid because I am 12, because I have just got a scholarship, so i'm NOT STUPID! or easy bake or pot induced......

Exactly. You're 12, and I'm 18. You're a child, and I'm an adult. So somehow I'm a sexist because I feel that a woman's role is as a mother. Call me crazy, but I think Evolution decided that. If you want to call someone sexist, call the Universe sexist because that's how it is. I won't bring deities into it for Forum Policy, but theirs an argument against everything you said. Women can be surgeons, but when you have young children, you need to be there for them unless you can afford a babysitter, and if you get a babysitter, than you better get someone you know and can trust.

Come to think of it, You can hire baby-sitters in the Sims 3. ZOMFWTFDIVIDEBYZERO! But IRL, you cannot work at a certain point in pregnancy, nor can you work for a period afterwords. Giving birth takes a lot of energy that I salute women for, and would never do as a male if the roles were switched. You are too young to understand any of it.

"I am 12 years old, and what is this?" -Popular /b/tard quote

You have seemed to have misunderstood what I said. I know women are SUPPOSED to be mothers but you seem to forget, a male's role is as a FATHER and is no less important. I know many women who work during a lot of their pregnancy and soon after. But this surely isn't as bad as smoking or drinking during pregnancy. Yes, I am sure that most women do stay off after having a child, but this is a GAME, okay, and if they want realism, then cut out aliens, blue sims and ghosts!
    All I am saying is that the way you phrased your first post makes it sound like "Women have a set role and should do NOTHING ELSE"
    Look I may be only 12, but I know a lot more about being female than you do (unless you had a sex change?) so matters that you do not understand should not be discussed. You can't realise how even at my age, girls lose out on a lot more.

PS
    Most women will be very angry with your "I'm sorry, but being nice to feminists is not in my policy" post.
  • mynameisjimbobmynameisjimbob Posts: 911 New Member
    edited August 2009
    snagge wrote:
    Snacky wrote:

OH MY GOD!!!
    reading this gets me so upset "being nice to feminists is not part of my policy"
    ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ? do you even know what feminism is? Being 18 isn't being an adult, being 18 is still being very young and obviously you are younger than you can ever imagine.

You have no idea of what it's like being a woman in a mans world, trying to fight so you would at least get the same pay for the same job. Feminism means that we want equality between men and women. Both men and women can be feminists. Being a feminist doesn't mean you think women are better than men or that you hate all men. It simply stands for equal rights for everyone no matter what sex you have.

If you, in your narrow, ugly, horrible little world can't see this I hope you stay at home with your Sims 3 game and never leave the house. Because you seem to be an awful person and I wouldn't want my worst enemy to befriend an a.๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ like you.

PRO EQUALITY FOR ALL! NO MATTER WHAT GENDER, COLOUR OR SEXUAL ORIENTATION YOU HAVE (and if you think that there's no reason to be nice to me because I think this i hope you go to hell and burn there forever)

Oh yeah and I forgot to say.... whoop whoop!
  • amakachaoamakachao Posts: 422 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Suceress wrote:

What I think is sexist is women not being able to take their shirts off in public while men can.

Depends on what country you're in. Unless I'm severly mistaken, Canada does not consider a shirtless woman to be an illegal act, but social morality/embarrassment is probably what keeps those shirts on. Manitoba, British Columbia and Ontario: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topfreedom

As far as sexist, if this game is sexist it is against men. Men have so few options for customization in the way of clothes and hair. Men don't have enough options for androgeny. Men don't have enough options for male beauty. I'm not talking about drag either. It isn't "over 9000" testosterone or bust in real life, but that's how it feels in the game.

edit: as far as time off, I think there should be a choice. Personally, I would choose to take the time off, but for those cruel players that like their Sims lives to be extra difficult, you should have the choice.

My only sim that I breed (I don't like the genetics system in this game so I'm very picky about about it) has already achieved her lifetime goal and got to the top level of her career (I turn aging off and on as I see fit) before I moved a suitable male sim into the neighborhood.
    During her paid vacation days, she basically had a lot of fun while I made a housemate do all the grunt work. (She had a wish to teach to walk and to teach to talk, so she did that) The father is inconsequential in this specific situation.

In another situation I gave twin toddlers to a single father straight from CAS.

I think the choice should be there, but I also think you people are overreacting. It's not sexist. If anything it calls attention to how kids, toddlers and babies are severly under-programed. They need more independent interactions so it isn't as necessary (game play wise) for mother to stay home.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • DglfDglf Posts: 99 Member
    edited August 2009
    I don't find that very sexist. It's uber common for women to take off work while having a newborn. No offense but this thread reminds me of those annoying feminists that complain about every single thing that divides men and women. No offense, just saying.
  • mofursmofurs Posts: 87 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Here in the Midwest majority of mothers work at least until the 7th month, if not to full 9 months. And most mothers return to work within two weeks after giving birth. Most people in my area make under $15 per hour and can't afford the luxury of taking time away from work to enjoy their pregnancy.

A few years ago my wife was pregnant with our second child and worked until she was 4 months pregnant and was put on bed rest by her doctor. She ended up losing her job, and we received $115 a month from the state to live on during the middle of winter. Things were tight but we made it through the winter with only electric space heaters to heat a few rooms in our home because that was all we could afford to pay with what little help the state had given us. If it wasn't for local churches we probably would have starved. My wife went back to work a week after having our daughter Olivia and has been working since. I am disabled and unfortunately don't receive any benefits other than insurance for disabilities through the state for those who will wonder why I wasn't working. And since I am at home with my disability I have always been a house dad and taken care of my children.

The point I am trying to make is that life can be very harsh and majority of people are not offered the luxuries that others receive. The Sims to my knowledge was made to reflect life in a fantasy type setting, it would be nice in some ways to see options, and life changing events happen in game to reflect different opportunities, and loss of opportunities that one may experience through good and hard times in life...
    edited August 2009
    Dglf wrote:
    I don't find that very sexist. It's uber common for women to take off work while having a newborn. No offense but this thread reminds me of those annoying feminists that complain about every single thing that divides men and women. No offense, just saying.

I agree that the original poster was being incendiary by calling it "sexist"--to call it sexist is probably crossing a line.

But I do find the extended amount of forced leave in Sims 3 pretty annoying. You have to wait until the middle of the toddler years before she can go back to work! I would propose EA do one of these:

1) At LEAST cut the maternity leave to the baby years only.
    2) After birth, have a pop-up that lets the user decide between maternity and paternity leave.
    3) The way maternity leave was handled in Sims 2--i.e. the car pool came, you could either hop on, or stay on maternity leave.
  • ShadowShadow Posts: 3,315 New Member
    edited August 2009
    What I have pregnant sims do while on maternity leave? Build up the skills needed to get promoted. 8)
  • vmoodswingvmoodswing Posts: 72 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I think that the amount of maternity leave allowed should reflect income class and education and perhaps even the type of job held.

For instance, if a sim works at the diner--equal to fast food worker in real life, they would work for minimum wage which just went up to 7.25 and hour in the US. When a woman works for minimum wage, it does not matter if she is pregnant. She cannot afford to take maternity leave. Otherwise she starves. Actually she may starve trying to live indoors and pay bills on minimum wage. There isn't much left over. If there is a second parent, that is also working at the diner, then you have 2 parents working for minimum wage. Still a tough existence and people in that income level still generally cannot afford maternity leave.

So, low income sims should have to work right up until delivery and then only get a couple of days off after the birth before returning to work. As promotions come along, so do benefits like vacation time and sick leave.

While we are making it more realistic, they should also be slammed with a huge hospital bill that has to be paid before taking the infant home, or taken out of their wages each day until it is paid. :shock:

Which reminds me, why is it free to be born and to die in Sims? Perhaps it wasn't meant to be all that realistic ;-)
    edited August 2009
    snagge wrote:
    Snacky wrote:

OH MY GOD!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA.....

You really need to take a look at the world. I am a Caucasian Male. I have it worse than anyone in the world. Minorities and Women have it easy.

Why should I be nice to feminist when they rage on men for holding a door for them? Or for that matter, if they have to be treated just like men, why should I give them the kindness and respect I give a LADY?

If a woman acts like a WOMAN I shall treat her as one.
  • ElizabethWynElizabethWyn Posts: 187 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Snacky wrote:
    snagge wrote:
    Snacky wrote:

OH MY GOD!!!

You really need to take a look at the world. I am a Caucasian Male. I have it worse than anyone in the world. Minorities and Women have it easy.

Why should I be nice to feminist when they rage on men for holding a door for them? Or for that matter, if they have to be treated just like men, why should I give them the kindness and respect I give a LADY?

Okay, I soooo do not want to get into this. But I am saying one thing: Who is the world run by? Who are the politicians? Therefore, who has the overall advantage here as a result of life being tailored to them?

That's all I have to say. I really hope that if my post receives a response that it is a respectful one,, because I am not a feminist nor someone who wants to argue okay. But everyone, no matter who they are, deserves respect and does not deserve to be insulted or degraded in any way.
    edited August 2009
    Snacky wrote:
    snagge wrote:
    Snacky wrote:

OH MY GOD!!!

Okay, I soooo do not want to get into this. But I am saying one thing: Who is the world run by? Who are the politicians? Therefore, who has the overall advantage here as a result of life being tailored to them?

That's all I have to say. I really hope that if my post receives a response that it is a respectful one,, because I am not a feminist nor someone who wants to argue okay. But everyone, no matter who they are, deserves respect and does not deserve to be insulted or degraded in any way.

If you are a white male, you will have a harder life than anyone simply because: 1, Minorities can get you with the race card. 2, Women can get you with the sexist/sexual harassment card.

A white male cannot say anything without fear of being hit by one of those groups. We have it worse than anyone. In school, we're less likely to get a scholarship than a minority with the same, or slightly worse grades based on the fact that they're a minority. That Firefighter test that was thrown out because no minorities passed that was all over the news is a prime example. There is nothing harder than being a white male.
  • Lilmissshortee4Lilmissshortee4 Posts: 202 Member
    edited August 2009
    I don't understand how it's sexist at all. It's a game.

To be honest i'd find it a lot worse if they had to go to work and then the water broke or something...?

And oh my gosh, I cannot believe this is turning into a feminist argument.
  • ShadowShadow Posts: 3,315 New Member
    edited August 2009

To be honest i'd find it a lot worse if they had to go to work and then the water broke or something...?

Do we really need to bring racism into feminist in turn to sexism? :roll:
  • snaggesnagge Posts: 158 New Member
    edited August 2009
    oh those poor caucasian men! they have a really hard time in the world....
    I can't be bothered discussing this anymore. There's really no point of arguing on the internet anyways.
    I'm gonna enjoy my game and forget about this thread and forget about that there is people like snacky in the world.

Good bye. Good luck in life!
    edited August 2009
    Shadow wrote:

Do we really need to bring racism into feminist in turn to sexism? :roll:

I'm sorry this entire thread didn't need to exist. However, I must point out that OP did in fact bring it upon herself. The sexist argument was only valid 100 years ago, and has no meaning in society today.
    edited August 2009
    snagge wrote:
    oh those poor caucasian men! they have a really hard time in the world....
    I can't be bothered discussing this anymore. There's really no point of arguing on the internet anyways.
    I'm gonna enjoy my game and forget about this thread and forget about that there is people like snacky in the world.

Good bye. Good luck in life!

People like me. Wow... I feel like a Pariah... and I don't even care. Too bad there's people like you who get men sued for complimenting a woman's appearance, and demanding to be treated equally(which is a lie), but still expecting men to be your slaves. Acting like it's a horrible thing when a man wants a woman for her looks, but finding no fault in a woman only wanting a man for his money...

Man I hate the double-standard...