Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too much like Castaway?

Dont get me wrong, I am kinda excited about this expansion pack, but, it sounds VERY similar too castaway? Anyone agree?

Also..
Your sims will start out at a kind of "base camp" and will have to earn their way up to being able to have a local home to travel to. While camp will be where your sim starts, it's all about getting out into the world and encountering what experiences are to be had. Your sim might start walking downtown to meet some locals and be asked to help find a lost artifact that will kick them off on an adventure that might lead to a secret nook of the location or into a lost tomb.

Honestly, this will just annoy me.
And..
The player will need to solve puzzles to get from room to room--you can't just click in the treasure room and say "Go Here" anymore. Using your sims' skills, special items and figuring out a puzzle will be how to get through the multitude of areas we've set up for you to explore.

I'm so over mini games, they are so annoying!

Anyhow, the main thing I'm tryna say is its too much of an adventure game. I really wanted just a holiday EP, like BV..

Your thoughts?

Comments

• subzerosubzero Posts: 138 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Yes, when I read these 2 statements in the interview I was also annoyed. It seems the sims is becoming a collect-a-thon :(
  • CoffeeChick0CoffeeChick0 Posts: 2,294 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I just read that interview too and thought the same thing…. a mini game inside my Sims3. I had decided not to comment on the first EP right off the bat and do a lets wait and see policy but after reading that interview I’m even more disappointed because it sounds too much like an adventure game placed in the Sims3 game. And it made me question what would your sims do once one sim has passed and solved the quests, puzzles etc…. given to him? Run the quest on autopilot in order to level up or gain the skills for a different sim? I’m sorry but the interview (to me) made it sound like an EP that had a fast ending once you solve the quests with one sim.

Gad, I’m still on the fence about this EP but this interview made me a tad bit less excited.
  • valennealvvalennealv Posts: 641 New Member
    edited August 2009
    subzero wrote:
    Yes, when I read these 2 statements in the interview I was also annoyed. It seems the sims is becoming a collect-a-thon :(

Gah, I personally want a location where we can go skiing then come back and sit around the fire drinking hot chocolates, as a family. This seems very pointed towards a single sim. And collect-a-thons are not fun.

:wink:
  • valennealvvalennealv Posts: 641 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I just read that interview too and thought the same thing…. a mini game inside my Sims3. I had decided not to comment on the first EP right off the bat and do a lets wait and see policy but after reading that interview I’m even more disappointed because it sounds too much like an adventure game placed in the Sims3 game. And it made me question what would your sims do once one sim has passed and solved the quests, puzzles etc…. given to him? Run the quest on autopilot in order to level up or gain the skills for a different sim? I’m sorry but the interview (to me) made it sound like an EP that had a fast ending once you solve the quests with one sim.

Gad, I’m still on the fence about this EP but this interview made me a tad bit less excited.

Exactly how I feel. Haha.
  • Gwain_McFlyGwain_McFly Posts: 51 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I hardly collected those stupid rocks in the base game! Or the seeds to be honest.. The sims 3 is getting ruined slowly and painfully for the fans.. :cry:
  • kawaishahikokawaishahiko Posts: 101 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I hope that the EP will be fun even for those of us who don't care about solving puzzles or quests.

I am not sure I enjoy the collecting side of the base game (it looks a lot like Animal Crossing I expect to see Tom Nook hidden somewhere), it's a bit too much... But the game is really great even if you don't focus on the collections, so I hope it's the same thing with the EP...

If we can have more game content, interractions and place to go, and the quests/puzzles are only optional, yay :)
  • Renyc7Renyc7 Posts: 1,167 Member
    edited August 2009
    The Sims has never offer this type of gameplay at least not the PC version. I'm so happy it does now. The devs have already said they wanted to make this game more about playing the game and less of a creative tool thing only. I still hope they will let us create things within the game though. I played castaway,and thought is was okay. But I hope this will be better and more about gameplay, control and challenging the player than just click on pie menuses and following a single storyline only. Solving a puzzel sounds like a nice addition to the game. Adventures seem like something the sims really needs. This game is also about getting your sims out the house and more to do if you only play single sims and not interested in the whole generation gameplay aspect. Which I'm am not. I only play single sims so now i have more to do with my sims. Remember this is not the sims 2. This game is more of an sims rpg.
  • Ceeecee3Ceeecee3 Posts: 789 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I hope that the EP will be fun even for those of us who don't care about solving puzzles or quests.

I am not sure I enjoy the collecting side of the base game (it looks a lot like Animal Crossing I expect to see Tom Nook hidden somewhere), it's a bit too much... But the game is really great even if you don't focus on the collections, so I hope it's the same thing with the EP...

If we can have more game content, interractions and place to go, and the quests/puzzles are only optional, yay :)

I agree with you on this one. 8)
  • subzerosubzero Posts: 138 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I hope that the EP will not be entirely focused on adventures, I have no problem with them, but not everyone who goes on vacation wants to have an adventure
    edited August 2009
    subzero wrote:
    I hope that the EP will not be entirely focused on adventures, I have no problem with them, but not everyone who goes on vacation wants to have an adventure

I don't think this is a vacation pack but more of a travel and exploration pack. The sims 3 is about getting your sims out the house. Travel is a great way to do that. All great rpg games have elements of travel and exploration. Vacation pack and bon voyage for the sims 2 was boring to me. Main reason being the lack of sports related and recreational activity in them. Hopefully this time around we will get more sports content. But there are two things this pack will add, realism and realistic cities or sims version of famous cities. You get to possible play your hometown or a city similar to it and two being the adventures part so the gameplay doesn't become stall, as a player you will always have something to do in the game, and not have to watch our sims have all the fun. I get to interact with the game environment through gameplay, than the sims becomes a much more interactive game. I hope the sims 3 become much more than a god game but also add more elements of rpg, first person and third person modes as well.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    edited August 2009
    Renyc7 wrote:
    The Sims has never offer this type of gameplay at least not the PC version. I'm so happy it does now. The devs have already said they wanted to make this game more about playing the game and less of a creative tool thing only. I still hope they will let us create things within the game though. I played castaway,and thought is was okay. But I hope this will be better and more about gameplay, control and challenging the player than just click on pie menuses and following a single storyline only. Solving a puzzel sounds like a nice addition to the game. Adventures seem like something the sims really needs. This game is also about getting your sims out the house and more to do if you only play single sims and not interested in the whole generation gameplay aspect. Which I'm am not. I only play single sims so now i have more to do with my sims. Remember this is not the sims 2. This game is more of an sims rpg.

Actually those comments to me sound exactly what they can do to spoil the game. the sims has always been about an open ended play as you want game NOT a play by numbers game , which once it has been run through its a finished game . If Ea go the way of the Life Stories games then they will lose a huge amount of their loyal customers
    edited August 2009
    Renyc7 wrote:

Actually those comments to me sound exactly what they can do to spoil the game. the sims has always been about an open ended play as you want game NOT a play by numbers game , which once it has been run through its a finished game . If Ea go the way of the Life Stories games then they will lose a huge amount of their loyal customers

when a game become to open-ended is will get boring as well. I got bored with the sims 2 real quick because there wasn't enough gameplay. I don't play games just for the creative aspect even though I like having it in there. But be able to make things within the game is fine. But I think gameplay need direction. Any game can get boring overtime. Nothing last forever. Why are there so many complained about the sims 2, and why so many brought the sims 3. because they wanted something new and different. The sims 3 is different
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    edited August 2009
    Renyc7 wrote:
    Renyc7 wrote:

when a game become to open-ended is will get boring as well. I got bored with the sims 2 real quick because there wasn't enough gameplay. I don't play games just for the creative aspect even though I like having it in there. But be able to make things within the game is fine. But I think gameplay need direction. Any game can get boring overtime. Nothing last forever. Why are there so many complaining about the sims 2, and why so many brought the sims 3. because they wanted something new and different. The sims 3 is different

Actually there are still millions of players who love The Sim2 me included . The reason TS3 is already so big is exactly because of those players . I bet the vast majority of TS3 players came from TS2 and its simply because there are not going to be any more Ep's for TS2 , and NOT because they thought EA making TS3 into an Everquest/WoW levelling sim clone was a fantastic idea .

EA tried making the Life Stories like they are making this EP and those all bombed badly in sales .
    Having read the interview where the producer says it is going to be quest based has put me off completely buying this EP as i dont want to have to do pointless quests every time i want a different sim to visit a destination and have a break there in their own vacation type home

Finally you say open ended is boring ?? Having to do the same tasks over and over again IE going though the same quests time after time is even more boring .
    edited August 2009
    Renyc7 wrote:
    Renyc7 wrote:

when a game become to open-ended is will get boring as well. I got bored with the sims 2 real quick because there wasn't enough gameplay. I don't play games just for the creative aspect even though I like having it in there. But be able to make things within the game is fine. But I think gameplay need direction. Any game can get boring overtime. Nothing last forever. Why are there so many complaining about the sims 2, and why so many brought the sims 3. because they wanted something new and different. The sims 3 is different

Actually there are still millions of players who love The Sim2 me included . The reason TS3 is already so big is exactly because of those players . I bet the vast majority of TS3 players came from TS2 and its simply because there are not going to be any more Ep's for TS2 , and NOT because they thought EA making TS3 into an Everquest/WoW levelling sim clone was a fantastic idea .

EA tried making the Life Stories like they are making this EP and those all bombed badly in sales .
    Having read the interview where the producer says it is going to be quest based has put me off completely buying this EP as i dont want to have to do pointless quests every time i want a different sim to visit a destination and have a break there in their own vacation type home

Finally you say open ended is boring ?? Having to do the same tasks over and over again IE going though the same quests time after time is even more boring .

Before the sims 3 was released the devs stated they were changing the game up abit create a much larger sandbox style game with more rpg elements and gameplay. People did not listen to this and tried ingored this statement. It called being in total denial. I love rpg and action adventure games so I have no problem with sims 3. If I did I would have stuck with the sims 2 instead of complaining. Every game gets boring overtime, nothing ever last by then they will be making the sims 4 and I will have that to look forward too.

Let me add the sims 3 reviews were off the hook, on the level of wow/gta/oblivion, much more than any for the sims 1 or sims 2. So keep that in mind. The gaming press love the new game. New eps this game can only get better and attract new players. I personally didn't want another sims 2. Had they make it like that I would have never bought the sims 3. The sims 3 is better than the sims 2 in everyway, reviews don't lie. Plus people have options they can continue to play the sims 2 if they like. The game isn't broken because the sims 3 came out. I still play every gta game since gta 3 to gta 4 on the pc. One game don't replace another. It just expanses the series.I enjoy them all. I never get to finish any game I play because i just don't have that much time to play being a single parent. I just enjoy playing not try to overachievering gamers. I still consider myself hardcore gamer though.
  • sirhc121sirhc121 Posts: 57 New Member
    edited August 2009
    It almost seems like Sims 3 is turning into a mysims like game. where we need to collect things in order to build something (these coins). This game does not seem like a castaway or bon voyage at all. It seems like a make in magic like situation where we can earn those special coins to build in these countries where in make in magic we collected magic coins and then could build up into the magic world. But i love the sims and im excited to try this new expansion pack because it will be nice to get out of SunsetValley or RiversView for a while.
  • SimanimsSimanims Posts: 1,603 New Member
    edited August 2009
    hmm hope there isnt to much collecting - hate it and can't be bothered.
  • debra1970pdebra1970p Posts: 4,652 Member
    edited August 2009
    I'm not into ********** and I never had Castaway. The new ep still sounds pretty interesting, but I'll just have to wait and see.
  • Panther00567Panther00567 Posts: 2,704 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I don't like starting out at some stupid camp. I WANT MY FANCY RESORT! :twisted:
  • 4katsuki4katsuki Posts: 1,550 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Well if they incorporate BV into it itd be pretty much perfect, i like the sound of adventures but id also like it to be a a vacation too :shock: