Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rebuilding Viper Valley and The Apocalypse Challenge

Comments

• mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited January 2012
    How is everyone doing?

God Bless,
    mik
    edited January 2012
    I had to cheat to get my 2nd gen heir and spous to die - because they just would not age transition. Grrgrrgrr.

Frankly, I've failed this challenge. Disheartening as it is - I have. I've had issues with the game not spawning more townies for my legacy house, so I inserted more people. I have had issues with my sim heading to work and then getting side tracked by something and standing inside the building but late for work and not going. I've had issues with my sim not leaving the building and staying at work for HOURS past their work time - and it showing them as home.

Gotta love buggy content.

/sigh

I'll continue with this family till the bitter end - but if I were scoring this, it would be a fail in every sense of the word.

God Bless,
    mik
  • Lbsgirl24Lbsgirl24 Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    In my legacy I kept having to cheat to kill sims that wouldn't die and then there was an annoying deathflower seed one got through fishing and kept getting passed on after they exchanged it with the grim reaper. It gets really annoying after a while.
    I started this the other day and I'm having a lot of fun with it. My founder still hasn't cleared his career yet, hopefully he does so soon or I'll have to find him a different potential spouse as I want to have the eldest child at least as a child before I can't control the parents. If I ever get into a situation where my elders aren't dying I may just forget to feed them. Hopefully after military I'll get a sim to do culinary or medical its really hard to get my sims in a good mood while still keeping them hungry enough to eat at work. If a sim has turned into an elder with ten athletic skill, yet you can't control them can they still clear restrictions?

Edit:
    I've now had to reload my save file from when my founder was level 3 due to a glitch that occurred after he broke the hopelessness and military restrictions in moving in his fiance. I'm not to upset about it though as he isn't singed unlike last time and I won't have to wait for him to turn into an elder before he puts clothes on. I think I'm getting it quicker this time anyway.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • StarGirl09StarGirl09 Posts: 52
    edited February 2012
    Two things: One I cant get my Sims to marry. Their is no private wedding option. I must have restarted the game a dozen times and still no option. Can I just this once do a wedding party to see if that will allow them to marry. Because I want to get the next generation on the way so I can get the Mom working on clearing a level because once the heir clears Military my first task will be to move the spare out with his girlfriend.

Two, one of my cats is impossibly old. Its now outlived the founder and it was older than the founder when I took it in! The aging thing is turned on and its still their.
  • jobug1015jobug1015 Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited February 2012
    I just cleared Medical!! Shower for everyone! Woohoo!! One of the other guys is level 9 military, so I'm on a roll!! It's been a long generation 2 but things are starting to progress. Soon as military is cleared, I'm moving the two spares out. They will have lifted their restrictions and are of no use.
    Gen 3 is now teens. The boy is working on comforting children and should have what he needs to age to YA. I think the girl will be heir so just building her skills.
    Woot! Fun evening playing!!
    o2vOgnf.jpg?2
    edited February 2012
    StarGirl09 ...
    Two things: One I cant get my Sims to marry. Their is no private wedding option. I must have restarted the game a dozen times and still no option.

Is their relationship as high as it can be? Sometimes there are hidden traits that affect that. It's weird.
    Can I just this once do a wedding party to see if that will allow them to marry. Because I want to get the next generation on the way so I can get the Mom working on clearing a level because once the heir clears Military my first task will be to move the spare out with his girlfriend.

No party - but you can buy the wedding arch for this once and marry them that way. I believe it does work on residential lots? I haven't played with it, so I'm not sure. If not, go into Edit Town and place on on the nearest Community lot. Don't have a party (ie don't have a Wedding Party via the phone option), but go there with your intended and marry them there.
    Two, one of my cats is impossibly old. Its now outlived the founder and it was older than the founder when I took it in! The aging thing is turned on and its still their.

make sure you have pet aging set correctly. I can't remember off hand, but I think it's in the rules - but they are only supposed to have a total of 50 days. If they AREN'T aging, if they go 30 days past when they are supposed to die, go ahead and use testingcheatsenabled true or twallen's master controller or debug enabler to kill them. Just like regular sims who refuse to die. I think there's an aging bug and if you turn off aging during a sims life for any amount of time ... you get the bug for any sims alive in the household when you did it. But I can't say that is for SURE the reason why you got it.

jobug1015...
    I just cleared Medical!! Shower for everyone! Woohoo!! One of the other guys is level 9 military, so I'm on a roll!! It's been a long generation 2 but things are starting to progress. Soon as military is cleared, I'm moving the two spares out. They will have lifted their restrictions and are of no use.
    Gen 3 is now teens. The boy is working on comforting children and should have what he needs to age to YA. I think the girl will be heir so just building her skills.
    Woot! Fun evening playing!!

WTG!! I always counted Medical, Military and Culinary as my big 3. After those are cleared, it's just a matter of grinding sims through the rest of the careers - because MOST of the misery is lifted by that point :P

I haven't played in a while. I'm working on getting a new world out the door soon. In fact, I'm just debugging one apartment build so it works right and it will be ready for beta. It is NOT really appropriate as an AC world, as it's very green. It's on a small map, so it's very limited - everything is all scrunched up and I had to be spare with some of the spawners - not double things up, but make sure everything that needed to either spawned or could otherwise be found.

Anyway - I'm within a day of setting that up for testing (if anyone is interested in that for a break from AC). Once I've got that done, I'm going to work on the last tomb for RR so I can get the full version published and off my desk.

Then I indent to work on Centauri Shores - a different concept for the AC (mankind reaching out to colonize other worlds :P ). I expect it to take me several months as it's another large world. BUT there will be no tombs in it.

I plan on playing my AC tomorrow, after I've got things straightened out with that apartment and everything spiffied up for export.

God Bless,
    mik
  • jobug1015jobug1015 Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited February 2012
    I'd love to help Beta test your new world!! If you need help, just let me know, I'd be glad to help!

o2vOgnf.jpg?2
    edited February 2012
    Birdie Atol is up in my studio - http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5140579

The discussion thread for it is here - http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/422072.page

It's a small (512x512) island, a total of 24 lots, and things are pretty compact. There is one 64x64 legacy price lot, and 4 apartments available to the player. The live version will be inhabited and the bungalows, the hermit hut and the house by the Equestrian Center will all have residents.

I appreciate any help you guys want to give me testing this :) Thanks.

God Bless,
    mik
    edited February 2012
    Lunar Lakes (the new world from EA) should be appropriate for the challenge using the interstellar settlers premise (sims from earth came in colony ships and settled, and now have major challenges to overcome).

I will be getting the new world and I will probably use many of the new objects in Centauri Shores. I WILL release a blank version for those who don't have the new content.

Anyway - how's everyone doing?

God Bless,
    mik
    edited February 2012
    Update on using Lunar Lakes - there is a 64x64 empty residential lot, appropriately priced, clear to the left of the Perigee, as you are facing it. There's nothing around it, though. There is enough room for a 30x30 residential lot beside it and a larger community lot behind it (though not on a street, so it's debatable how many sims will visit it.

The crystal tree is restricted by Alien Technology. You may not harvest anything from the MULTITUDE of garden parks (there seems to be harvestables in every park) till Science is cleared and your sim is working on naturalist.

So far, I'm enjoying this town. They did a good job with it, over all. I'm not happy that I don't have access yet to the pipes or the crystal rocks for decorations. I hope someone figures out how to extract those soon so I can use them in CAW.

God Bless,
    mik
    edited February 2012
    Jobug - I really like your new avatar - she is really pretty :)

God Bless,
    mik
    edited February 2012
    Glory Halleluiah! I got the Wikia page back to normal - no more wall of orange text!!

God Bless,
    mik
    edited March 2012
    Will be updating the rules soon for Show Time. If there are enough expansion specifics - the new rules will have their own category, like Day Care did for Generations. If not, I'll see how things fit with alternate rules.

God Bless,
    mik
    edited March 2012
    Tentative update to the rules for Showtime -

http://s3ac.wikia.com/wiki/The_Apocalypse_Challenge#SHOWTIME

God Bless,
    mik
    edited March 2012
    I thought I should mention a bug I seem to have in my game or maybe that's just how it is now. The job listing that comes up isn't random but predertermined so I've been using option 2 (random numbers) to pick out the sims career. Don't know if anyone else has had that problem but it happens with all my games on there so I think its a bug of sorts. Not sure though.

Still mystified by the ageless cat since I never turned off the aging. After taking a break and working on my 1000 baby challenge I am going to start back on this challenge.

Edit: One problem dissapears for another to appear. Mags the younger of the two cats I can no longer select. Her box is blank. My sims walk right through her. I don't know what to do with her, can't reset her either. Any ideas?

Oh funny moment. So Magic the cat finally died (he was the one I was complaining about) and five seconds later the founder's husband dies. Weird, kind of funny, but weird.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited March 2012
    1. Predetermined jobs ... If you use the paper, what is listed is determined by what day it is. It was like that in Sims 2 also. If you can use the computer, you get listings for all the jobs, I think. At least you get everything that is in the paper and then several more.

2. Ageless pets ... I've been noticing, since I have Twallen's debugger on and I get notifications of snafus, that alot of sims get stuck aging and that includes CATS. I don't see it as often in horses or dogs, but I see it a LOT in cats. It can really mess up your game and if you start experiencing a lot of lag, do resetsim * and it will reset every sim in the neighborhood.

3. Sim with invisible avatar ... this indicates that the sim's file is hopelessly corrupted and while they are rendered in your game, essentially they really aren't there at all. The next thing you will see is just the plumbob and no sim at all. The only thing you can do to fix this game is to start from an unbugged back up. Occaisionally, you can fix a bugged sim's file with Twallen's programs. He's got one in MC or Debugger that will fix corrupted sims. BUT the last game I had with corrupted sims, I had to trash and restart :/ Just see if you can still play it through. Hopefully, your cat will die or something without adversely affecting the rest of the neighborhood.

God Bless,
    mik
    edited March 2012
    Thanks. Not that it matters much now anyway. My laptop decided it wanted to crash on me on Wednesday and I had to do a full restore on it, which means of course I lost my games that were pre-last back up. So its back to square one with all of my challenges. Very frustrating considering I had finally cleared Medical, Military, and was getting close to clearing the elderly one.
    edited March 2012
    Oh, I feel for you. I haven't had a computer melt down on me in the middle of a challenge before - but I've had a game file corrupt so badly I couldn't even go back to a previous back up because IT was corrupted too.

I hope you get everything settled out with your computer!

God Bless,
    mik
  • bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited April 2012
    Hey, Mikitta!
    I'm SO SO sorry if you think I've abandoned my tomb.
    I haven't. It's just really, really bugged because of the way I set it up. I'm tm trying to fix it up!
    I feel really bad. It's never taken me this long to do something on The Sims before! It's nearly been a whole year in progress, I think! :shock:
    edited April 2012
    So I'm doing the slow process of reinstalling everything that I didn't lose when my laptop crashed. Then its back to square one with my challenges. The good news I guess is that I am going to start vlogging all of my challenges on youtube. Once everything is set up I'll link the account.
    edited April 2012
    Bunny - I haven't gotten back to the Landfill yet. I'm thinking I am going to redesign it for better flow any way. I hate to suggest it, but if Peace Garden is that bugged, you might think of redoing it too to streamline it a bit.

I've not done any building or anything in a couple of months. Been on a reading kick - half way through Dance with Dragons now. I play my challenge about once a week.

Stargirl - I'm sorry you have to start everything over. If it helps, I've only ever completed this challenge ONCE LOL! My games have gone all buggy by the 4th or 5th generation in all other times I've tried.

God Bless,
    mik
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    edited May 2012
    Hey Miki~

OK - came over to this thread since it's more appropriate. Started my AC over, First job in paper was culinary - which still isn't the military I wanted *g* - but not having to worry about when they are eating will be nice too. I'm in week 3, she's level 5 at the job, athletic is level 7. Question - I'm pretty sure I read, at least in discussing other apocalypse rules, that eating at work was allowed. Have you addressed that anywhere? I know you're not supposed to eat at community lots, but I seemed to recall the prevailing view being that eating at work was a common exploit and was not forbidden by the rules. Besides, if they're at work and they're hungry, they eat automatically so... what's the ruling? And before you answer, realize you will be messing up a well thought out eating schedule if you rule against it!!!! lol

She's doing ok, although she experienced an unfortunate incident at work and is singed. Blech. I put in a park next to my lot since there isn't one within 5 lots of me, nor is there any housing - maybe when she's ready to marry she can meet a doctor...

Oh, had another question. Can a TV be purchased instead of the radio if it is only used for working out before science is lifted?
    edited May 2012
    eating at work happens automatically if your sim is very hungry. It is allowed :)

TV - not til science is cleared.

God Bless,
    mik
  • bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited May 2012
    Sorry I haven't been so active in this lately!

Anyways, I learned something interesting the other day, Mikitta! Check out this page about Transfigurification! It's really interesting, and I think some things should be restricted with this!

BTW, the real-world name for that word is "Transfiguration," and that's what the page calls it. But the Sims calls it "Transfigurification" instead!

The only way you can do this is via World Adventures, as that's the only EP that has the display cases that enable you to do this.

Also, are you aware that the colors on the Wikia page are messed up? Whole entire sections are yellow for no apparent reason!
    edited June 2012
    Display Cases that can do the transfigurification ... yeah, I think they are restricted by Architect, I'm not sure. They really don't do anything GAME changing and other things limit how much stuff you can collect to do the changing. They take up a lot of room, so you really won't be getting one till Politics is cleared, and you can't go collecting gems to be changing till you are doing naturalist, and I think the cases themselves are pretty expensive. Anyway - I'll see about throwing something in there about that. Hmm Maybe I will add you have to create a giant skull cut gem if you want to actually travel ... make it so you have to have Naturalist, Politics, Super Spy, AND Military done before you can go on any adventures.

The issue with the text colors on the Wikia ... yeah, I had that all fixed and then did something stupid and backed it up to a point BEFORE it was all fixed - so I have to go through and do it again. I don't know why it's all orange - if the page got hacked or what - but until further notice the MAIN RULES page is only editable by ME. I've been pretty busy IRL so far this summer, but it is on my to do list. Maybe when I'm doing that I'll keep an eye peeled for any mention of the display cases.

God Bless,
    mik