November 12 - Everyone ready for November Maxis Monthly? Details here
November 8 - Click here for this week's Friday Highlight!

question regarding rabbitholes...

okay so my world is sort of supposed to be post apocalyptic themed, and none of the rabbitholes are looking right, so i was just wondering if someone could tell me.. if this would work the same way as a normal rabbit hole. if not... suggstions would be lovely (: thank you

Screenshot-31.jpg
Screenshot-30.jpg

Comments

  • ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,898 Member
    edited April 2012
    Morning :)

    Yes, putting RHs in basements will work fine - if there's a stairs down to them and if there's enough sims to walk around down there. I think I can spot your stairs in the corner; you may want to make it a bit wider, or perhaps add another stairs nearer to the diner. The diner is a massive hotspot for sims, so whatever you do, give plenty of space at the diner door!

    ETA: nice lot, btw :thumbup:
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 35,731 Member
    edited April 2012
    Hi,

    Make sure there are at least two squares of space behind the Diner- Sims will exit there and have to take a few steps or get stuck. :)
  • SHadowfiend69SHadowfiend69 Posts: 262
    edited April 2012
    Theres a set of CC I'm using

    Basically there doors, but there rabbit holes. so you wont need ugly basements for anything :D

    I still haven't tested anything so I hope they work
  • KylieMarieKylieMarie Posts: 78
    edited April 2012
    thankyou all so much (: helps alot.


    shadowfiend... could you link me to somewhere i could download these?? :P
  • MFAKMFAK Posts: 484 Member
    edited April 2012
    KylieMarie wrote:
    thankyou all so much (: helps alot.


    shadowfiend... could you link me to somewhere i could download these?? :P

    There are Jynx's rabbithole rugs on MTS's: http://modthesims.info/d/411270

    Also he does the doors but you need to be a member for that : http://customsims3.com/forums/thread-53.html (2 minute reg)

    Good Luck!
  • KylieMarieKylieMarie Posts: 78
    edited April 2012
    :) thankyou
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,836 Member
    edited April 2012
    Keep in mind everytime there will be a game update - those doors and rugs may quit working until Jinx updates them - and Jinx is very busy - doesn't always get to update right away. It also makes it necessary for the creator to keep placing the world back into CAW to add the updated rugs and doors - which creates another problem if you put the world on the exchange - as the exchange will not let you add the fixed world even if you delete the old one. Then you have to use mods to assign the world a new number to add the world back to the exchange. To me it is craziness and just better if creators do not use CC in their worlds as users cannot remove CC placed in a world in CAW.

    But then if you are just making the world for yourself, not planning to add it to the exchange, then it should be fine - or if you do plan to share and don't put it on the exchange to a place that will allow you to re-add the corrected world back for every update - then you will also be fine. The only other problem is people have to keep restarting their game over in the world everytime it is changed unless they don't update their game.

    CC in CAW is a vicious circle, and because a creator may use CC, many people who actually know the problems associated with using a world with CC, generally will not download those worlds.

    I don't care how perfect a world is - if a creator uses CC I won't download the world because of it - nor will I test a world with CC in it. There are a lot of people like me who have learned the hard way also, as it always ends up making us having to uninstall - reinstall all our games because CC used in CAW forms independents and nothing we do - even uninstalling that world removes all traces of certain CC - especially anything made off of EA meshes like those rugs and doors - so we can get our games back working right.

    Of course it is your world and your choice - but in case you did not know the disadvantages of using CC, I felt you should know - as a CC world will lose a lot of interest from those who have already experienced the downfall of using a world that has CC in it. Even 1 piece of CC can break a world added at CAW level.

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • KylieMarieKylieMarie Posts: 78
    edited April 2012
    i was only planning on using the world for myself i think.. i wouldnt want people telling me its plum haha. i decided to stick with just putting the rabbitholes underneath the buildings anyway.. it just seemed the easier and more reliable option (:
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,836 Member
    edited April 2012
    For sure. I play several worlds like that and it works perfectly and it stays very stable too.

    I wish EA would bite the bullet and actually help creators out by giving them an option with something like jinx's rug and doors. We know it can be done - Lunar lakes has all portals even - so they could create a portal doorway that we could add to builds of our own and not have the problem with their updates that the mods have.

    But the cellar thing works perfectly - and one world I play has that style and I have been playing that world for about a year - real time with no issues at all and we have had 2 eps, 2 stuff packs and several updates since I started playing this world.

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited April 2012
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Of course it is your world and your choice - but in case you did not know the disadvantages of using CC, I felt you should know - as a CC world will lose a lot of interest from those who have already experienced the downfall of using a world that has CC in it. Even 1 piece of CC can break a world added at CAW level.

    Geeze, weren't you the one gushing about how wonderful these items were? http://customsims3.com/forums/thread-53-page-6.html

    Or are you planning on taking the Harry Potter world away from your niece? You certainly don't want to corrupt the child by exposing her to evil cc? What sort of auntie are you?

    Or, were you just plum to the people on the Custom Sims 3?

    Jynx's rugs and doors are probably some of the most popular cc in the Sims community. To praise it in one forum while bashing it in another seems a might inconsistent, doesn't it?
  • tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited April 2012
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Of course it is your world and your choice - but in case you did not know the disadvantages of using CC, I felt you should know - as a CC world will lose a lot of interest from those who have already experienced the downfall of using a world that has CC in it. Even 1 piece of CC can break a world added at CAW level.

    OK. Name one world with CC which is broken.

    For every world you name, I can probably name three worlds without cc which are broken.
  • tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited April 2012
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    For sure. I play several worlds like that and it works perfectly and it stays very stable too.

    Actually, if you don't do it right, sims will get stuck and cause some serioius lag in your game.

    There are all sorts of little tricks that people use, including the move objects cheat and sticking rabbit holes in basements which have the potential to cause some serious game wrecking problems if not done correctly. Also, there are some EA items, like elevators, which are notorious for causing problems.

    You are more likely to cause problems for youself by putting rabbit holes in basements than by using Jynx's rabbitholes.

    By the way, once you go to the dark side, there are all sorts of things you can start doing with custom rabbit holes. You are not confined to doors and rugs. A while ago, I made this little replacement for the diner:

    McDonalds+WIP+2.jpg

    It's still a work in progress and I have not done much with it lately. But I stuck it in Apaloosa Springs shortly after Pets came out, and it has not caused me any problems yet.
  • VirvatuliVirvatuli Posts: 168 Member
    edited April 2012
    The issues I ran into with rabbitholes in basement were that a) some of them left shadows above ground and b) the basement must be a minimum size (sometimes quite large!) to cover all rabbithole doors and leave the sims enough space to move. This has limited me a lot since I like to build small worlds with small lots, so I've been "forced" to use Jynx's rabbithole replacements.

    While everyone is free to not download a world that has CC, creators shouldn't be afraid of using CC if they want to - as long as they give it proper thought! i.e. "can I solve this without CC", "what do I ask of the downloaders when I use this CC" etc. Jynx rabbit hole replacements happens to be a rather steady piece of CC which probably won't need an update "as long as EA doesn't change the way the rabbitholes work in principle and also they don't start a second complete rebuild of resources like for Pets" (quoted from here: http://customsims3.com/forums/thread-53-page-9.html). Go for whatever works best for you, KylieMarie. By the way, I really like the look of that lot!
  • simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    edited April 2012
    tjstreak wrote:
    Geeze, weren't you the one gushing about how wonderful these items were? http://customsims3.com/forums/thread-53-page-6.html
    There's a difference between using custom content in game play and including it in a world. Writin_Reg is rightly pointing out that custom rabbitholes will need updating, and that packaging the items in the Sims3Pack can be problematic.

    To be clear, this is not the same as saying custom content should not be used in a world- it is merely asserting that having CC items packaged in the same Sims3Pack as the world (which can be checked by Custard) is not good.

    A better way is to package the CC items in a Sims3Pack separately, so that the player has a choice.

    I therefore do not think that writin_Reg is being at all hypocrytical when praising a CC creator.
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
  • SHadowfiend69SHadowfiend69 Posts: 262
    edited April 2012
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Keep in mind everytime there will be a game update - those doors and rugs may quit working until Jinx updates them - and Jinx is very busy - doesn't always get to update right away. It also makes it necessary for the creator to keep placing the world back into CAW to add the updated rugs and doors - which creates another problem if you put the world on the exchange - as the exchange will not let you add the fixed world even if you delete the old one. Then you have to use mods to assign the world a new number to add the world back to the exchange. To me it is craziness and just better if creators do not use CC in their worlds as users cannot remove CC placed in a world in CAW.

    But then if you are just making the world for yourself, not planning to add it to the exchange, then it should be fine - or if you do plan to share and don't put it on the exchange to a place that will allow you to re-add the corrected world back for every update - then you will also be fine. The only other problem is people have to keep restarting their game over in the world everytime it is changed unless they don't update their game.

    CC in CAW is a vicious circle, and because a creator may use CC, many people who actually know the problems associated with using a world with CC, generally will not download those worlds.

    I don't care how perfect a world is - if a creator uses CC I won't download the world because of it - nor will I test a world with CC in it. There are a lot of people like me who have learned the hard way also, as it always ends up making us having to uninstall - reinstall all our games because CC used in CAW forms independents and nothing we do - even uninstalling that world removes all traces of certain CC - especially anything made off of EA meshes like those rugs and doors - so we can get our games back working right.

    Of course it is your world and your choice - but in case you did not know the disadvantages of using CC, I felt you should know - as a CC world will lose a lot of interest from those who have already experienced the downfall of using a world that has CC in it. Even 1 piece of CC can break a world added at CAW level.

    This Debate is Scaring me.

    When i discoverd Jynx's rabbit hole replacement I was like "AHHH YEA!" because really? who wants to have there sim go into a basement everyday to work as the mayor?

    I still havn't tested out how the doors and rugs work, Right now I have the doors and rugs on the same lot thinking I need moth, Do I? Are doors just another choice then rugs? because those doors do look perfect.

    I'm using this Peice of CC for one Reason, The rabbit holes DO NOT FIT MY WORLD! there ugly and don't fit "japanese" so for the makret and stuff I'm using the CC.

    I only have two other CC, Which don't apear to need updating as there unusable objects,

    one: A cargo ship taken from MFS
    two: Roof Deco, such as AC Units and Chimneys, real Chimneys.
    three: Awesome Cronicals. Which are very decrotive and Id say usefull.
    and then Jynx's doors/rugs

    I do plan upLoading a non CC ver but that will dis include the book store, market and other rabbit holes as I simply, Do not like the basement Idea. Routing problems and its a big and bulky basement.
  • KylieMarieKylieMarie Posts: 78
    edited April 2012
    im pretty sure the doors are just another option.. you can use either (: and yea i know i checked my forum earlier and was like wooo 15 comments, and none of the replies were for me.. rather just debating with each other. haha.




    i have jynxs doors downloaded and installed.. the only reason i didnt use them for this lot was it didnt match the theme.. i will probably use them on a different part of my world, but not in the section which is supposed to look dirty and destroyed..
  • tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited April 2012
    I am still waiting...

    Name one world which is broken because of cc.

    And after you do that, identify the piece of cc which is breaking the game.

    Of course, Written Reg can't do it, because she does not play worlds with cc. If you don't even try it, how can you say it is bad?

    I have been experimenting with this for about a year now. As Sim Sample has noted, I am making a world where I am cramming in as much cc as possible. I have hundreds and hundreds of items of cc. I really have not seen any of those items cause any problems -- other than perhaps the drain on memory from cramming so much stuff into a world. I probably will continue cramming more cc into that world until it finally does break.

    A lot of this discussion seems to be based more on superstition than fact. Yes, I can say that tomatoes are bad because they are part of the nightshade family. But when was the last time someone died from eating a tomato?

    Usually, when a piece of custom content it broken from a change by EA, it just stops working. Your custom rabbithole made with Jynx's doors no longer works as a rabbithole. The game does not blow up. Eventually this cc will be updated, particularly with a really useful piece of cc, like Jynx's doors and rugs.

    There are a lot of people pontificating about the evils of cc, but precious few of them are able to identify any worlds or any items of cc which are causing problems in worlds. I think it is incumbant upon the "cc is evil" crowd to start producing some evidence.
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,556 Member
    edited April 2012
    Conorsim wrote:
    Morning :)

    Yes, putting RHs in basements will work fine - if there's a stairs down to them and if there's enough sims to walk around down there. I think I can spot your stairs in the corner; you may want to make it a bit wider, or perhaps add another stairs nearer to the diner. The diner is a massive hotspot for sims, so whatever you do, give plenty of space at the diner door!

    ETA: nice lot, btw :thumbup:

    Conorsim,

    I'm thinking of doing this eventually. You know putting rabbit holes in the basement, and I was wondering, would it work if I used elevators instead of stairs? I haven't tried that, but I thought it might look better, and maybe be more manageable.
  • simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    edited April 2012
    tjstreak wrote:
    I am still waiting...

    Name one world which is broken because of cc.
    Any world which was packaged with a copy of that doll in the Sims3Pack.
    Any world which contains custom objects in it with rigs not updated for Pets.

    There are many, many worlds on the Sims 3 exchange which contain CC within the Sims3Pack file, so many of those will contain CC which is broken or outdated. If the creator knew how to remove the CC before exporting the world then they would still be useable, but if they did not then the world will be broken.

    This is an example of a world which uses CC which is affected by game updates:
    http://modthesims.info/d/455150
    That one is still actually useable, since the CC is not packaged in it- but since it makes extensive use of CC the player will be forced to manually remove all CC used and replace it with something more suitable. Had the creator packaged the CC in the Sims3Pack, that world would have had to have been uninstalled completely, so rendering any savegames broken.
    tjstreak wrote:
    Of course, Written Reg can't do it, because she does not play worlds with cc. If you don't even try it, how can you say it is bad?
    Writon_Reg has not said she is opposed to custom content, but rather to custom content that is packaged in the Sims3Pack with a world. In fact it is most likely that she does use CC in her game, especially since you quoted her from a thread where she thanked a creator for some CC.

    Perhaps the reason you don't understand this distinction is because you don't know what I mean. Here:
    Bluefunk_00222-Dec-101424.jpg
    That world has no CC packaged with it. The file in red is the world, the other is the world thumbnail. That doesn't mean to say that the creator did not use CC in that world- just that the CC is not packaged with the world, and so the player has a choice of whether they install the CC or not.
    Bluefunk_0212-Apr-121906.jpg
    That one has CC packaged with it- in this case a world object and some patterns. That means that the player has no choice of whether they use the CC- if they install the world, they must also install the CC. The world file cannot be installed without the CC also being installed.

    tjstreak wrote:
    Your custom rabbithole made with Jynx's doors no longer works as a rabbithole. The game does not blow up. Eventually this cc will be updated, particularly with a really useful piece of cc, like Jynx's doors and rugs.
    Yes, but if you install a world that has the outdated rabbitholes included in it, as in my second picture, then you will be unable to remove the outdated CC unless you also remove the world. That will render your savegame unplayable, which is what we are talking about. You seem to think that people are deadly opposed to CC in general but that is not the case. We are just opposed to having it packaged in the Sims3Pack, as it cannot be removed without the world being removed. I play worlds with CC in them but I only download worlds which are packaged without the CC, and I download the CC separately. That way, should the CC need updating I can remove it and install the updates without affecting the install of the world itself.
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited April 2012
    simsample wrote:
    tjstreak wrote:
    I am still waiting...

    Name one world which is broken because of cc.
    Any world which was packaged with a copy of that doll in the Sims3Pack.
    Any world which contains custom objects in it with rigs not updated for Pets.

    There are many, many worlds on the Sims 3 exchange which contain CC within the Sims3Pack file, so many of those will contain CC which is broken or outdated. If the creator knew how to remove the CC before exporting the world then they would still be useable, but if they did not then the world will be broken.

    This is an example of a world which uses CC which is affected by game updates:
    http://modthesims.info/d/455150
    That one is still actually useable, since the CC is not packaged in it- but since it makes extensive use of CC the player will be forced to manually remove all CC used and replace it with something more suitable. Had the creator packaged the CC in the Sims3Pack, that world would have had to have been uninstalled completely, so rendering any savegames broken.
    tjstreak wrote:
    Of course, Written Reg can't do it, because she does not play worlds with cc. If you don't even try it, how can you say it is bad?
    Writon_Reg has not said she is opposed to custom content, but rather to custom content that is packaged in the Sims3Pack with a world. In fact it is most likely that she does use CC in her game, especially since you quoted her from a thread where she thanked a creator for some CC.

    Perhaps the reason you don't understand this distinction is because you don't know what I mean. Here:
    Bluefunk_00222-Dec-101424.jpg
    That world has no CC packaged with it. The file in red is the world, the other is the world thumbnail. That doesn't mean to say that the creator did not use CC in that world- just that the CC is not packaged with the world, and so the player has a choice of whether they install the CC or not.
    Bluefunk_0212-Apr-121906.jpg
    That one has CC packaged with it- in this case a world object and some patterns. That means that the player has no choice of whether they use the CC- if they install the world, they must also install the CC. The world file cannot be installed without the CC also being installed.

    tjstreak wrote:
    Your custom rabbithole made with Jynx's doors no longer works as a rabbithole. The game does not blow up. Eventually this cc will be updated, particularly with a really useful piece of cc, like Jynx's doors and rugs.
    Yes, but if you install a world that has the outdated rabbitholes included in it, as in my second picture, then you will be unable to remove the outdated CC unless you also remove the world. That will render your savegame unplayable, which is what we are talking about. You seem to think that people are deadly opposed to CC in general but that is not the case. We are just opposed to having it packaged in the Sims3Pack, as it cannot be removed without the world being removed. I play worlds with CC in them but I only download worlds which are packaged without the CC, and I download the CC separately. That way, should the CC need updating I can remove it and install the updates without affecting the install of the world itself.



    Thank you Simsample.

    This is a great explanation of the issues encountered if CC is packaged with a world.

    In order to ensure you are exporting your world without CC, (I'm just going to quote Simsample again because I'm lazy today). From this thread.
    simsample wrote:

    Instead of trying to remove the items with Custard, it is often more effective to repackage without the CC. To do this, drag Documents\ Electronic Arts\ DCBackup to the desktop and export the world from CAW again. That will repackage the world cleanly.

    Don't delete the DCBackup though, as some people say they cannot package without it, and of course there may be times when you need it there (if you want to include CC in your Sims3Pack).
  • simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    edited April 2012
    :shock: I just noticed I misspelt Writin_Reg as 'Writon_Reg'! :oops:
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top