Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unrealistic Expectations

EllivisionEllivision Posts: 43 New Member
I must say, I love TS3. I was a huge fan back in the day of the original Sims, I got super excited when Sims 2 was launched, bought it the day it came out and...nothing. I found it all to be so serious, so linear, and lacking the sims campy humor from the original. I bought the expansion packs, but never really got into it.

Sims 3, again, super excited, bought it on launch. It's a open world, there's always stuff to do, love it, I could go on and on. Short version: It's a nice balance between the realism and cartoonishness.

I think the problem with so many fans complaining over and over is that somehow they were able to convince themselves that EA snuck in every expansion pack from TS2 AND tons more content into this game. Um, no. There's tons more to do, but somehow many people seem to have been deluded into thinking EA held out on telling the Press that magic and pets and seasons were all in the BASE game. Coming in future expansions? Surely. And much, much more.

Did Sims 2 have superstar? Did Sims 2 have vacation? Did Sims 2 have Makin' Magic? Did Sims 2 have unleashed? No, none of these were in the base game. Yet you guys act like Sims 3 OBVIOUSLY should've had every single object, interaction, environment, NPC, etc etc from the earlier games. The Sims 3 is a sequel, and it improved the game, and sometimes improving a game series means cutting out features that just aren't popular or adding to the game.

Long story short: Sims 3 is an amazing base game. If a feature that you liked isn't in the game, it's either on the way or was cut because it really had no reason being there. Also, don't be freak about it missing spiral staircases, both TS1 and TS2 had these...in expansion packs. ;)

Comments

• AprilAndNatalieAprilAndNatalie Posts: 8 New Member
    edited June 2009
    At the same time, though, some threads are populated with people who didn't even install any expansion packs on the last game but who find fault with this version nonetheless. Some major complaints that seem independent of expansions are how many odd glitches are showing up, the lack of ability to (successfully) turn off story progression especially when it moves out families they created themselves, the loss of several popular objects that did come with previous base games rather than expansion packs, and the less versatile/detailed graphical style. Many of those concerns are likely to die down after a patch or two, and the rest are likely to be addressed in future expansion packs--at least, we are hoping...
  • bonobotheorybonobotheory Posts: 233 New Member
    edited June 2009
    This is the "Ideas and Feedback" forum. The "Slavish Devotion to Your Corporate Overlords" forum is over there.
  • BaelzianythBaelzianyth Posts: 684 Member
    edited June 2009
    yes some of us expected: http://www.gamersyde.com/game_850.html

Others expected the game to have more than 1 starting town.

At this point I'd like to see Maxis put up a hottub and a maid bot.

The gameplay based EPs are still on the shelves so Maxis can't really include them in Sims 3. Fine. Objects and dress? ommitted? Sorry but that's just lazy.

It's like the more boring Sims 3 is the more some people will say forget it and buy Sims 2 double deluxe (which can run on their current system).

By the time they are done with Sims 2, there might be more available in Sims 3 to buy extra from the online store to make it fun.

I'm sure EA will at some point release a deluxe version of TS3 but it would be silly to include too much of the content on that disc that people paid extra for.
    Forum needs a Sympathy option to add to disagree (automatic), Agree (after finding proof of statement elsewhere), Like (not sure what this is for other than sympathy comments to OPs that done a bad), and LOL (at oblivious people posting comments fishing for sympathy).
  • Nu_Clear_DayNu_Clear_Day Posts: 469 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Eh, some people are going to like the game; some people aren't. This isn't anything new. Any time a game comes out, it's forum gets buried in "I don't like this game," and "Stop saying you don't like this game" threads.

To some extent, the hype probably does play a role. I call this the "Moylneux Effect." :) (Since he's pretty notorious for "promising" the moon and the stars, and then releasing something that falls short of his high hopes, but (in my opinion, at least) a game that's still of a fairly high quality. The Fable games, for example.)

That's just game design, though. You start out with tons of ideas of what you want the game to be, and then you have to pull back from there. (This usually leads to a better game than if you were to aim low from the beginning.) You can try all you want to include everything you wanted to, but at some point you have to actually release the game and start making money.

Anyway, some people probably did have unrealistic expectations. Others likely have very valid concerns about the game.
    This is the "Ideas and Feedback" forum. The "Slavish Devotion to Your Corporate Overlords" forum is over there.
    That's productive.
  • gamer_momgamer_mom Posts: 182 New Member
    edited June 2009
    the attitude that every business is out to use everyone disgusts me. yes theyre making money and most corporations are greedy, but it's gotten to where everyone assumes they all are.
  • silentrebelsilentrebel Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2009
    can you find a new word to say gamer mom...except ATTITUDE?!!